The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

A young Venture

Venture Theatre Noble

12 replies to this topic

#1 Moru

Tineye

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:47 PM

Name: _____ Venture (We've been calling him Venture Boy.)
Powers: NOT a Pewterarm
Role: Gullible noble, interested in the theatre, which the Theatre crew can con into giving them money -- plus a love interest.

Other Pertinent Information: Venture Boy is probably second or third cousins to Broderick and Nevan Venture, although he should be around the same age -- perhaps not from Luthadel.

The only things we know about him are this: Arabelle Bouchard has a mild interest in him at the moment, Gaston and Amorette Bouchard with the help of Lefoux and Bertrand are going to con Mr. Venture into giving them money for the Theatre to bring a new dance spectacular to Luthadel.

Kchan and I have come up with this character and we'd BOTH like to be able to talk to whomever is interested (which means AIM probably, since it will be easier)

Approve Before Accepting?: Kchan and I have come up with this idea together, so we both want to approve the final piece before it's accepted of course.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 KChan

Atium Chandelier

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:51 AM

Since the old planning thread is defunct but still has useful information, I'm just going to quote what Moru originally said. Please keep these things in mind when considering adopting him!

View PostMoru, on 29 March 2012 - 10:46 PM, said:

Posted Image

KChan and I need this character filled. He has business with the Bouchard Theatre, and a possible romantic interest (see: Arabelle Bouchard )

This guy belongs to the Ventures. He doesn't have a name (only stipulation, he needs the "Venture" surname... obviously). His first name is undecided, as we have been calling him "Venture Boy."

He is a Venture, so he would probably be cousins to Nevan and Broderick (but he CANNOT be first cousins with them). Most likely distantly. His parents could work in Luthadel for the Ventures or something. We haven't decided if he's a misting yet, but he is most definitely NOT a pewterarm.

The one thing we have sort of set in our minds for this guy is that he kind of makes stupid faces when he's thinking. Also, he's not the most ... quick witted of his family.

Our plotting for the Theatre involved him from the start. The Theatre needs money for new "exotic" dancers to come from the "southern islands." Now, to get this money... they have to basically con noblemen into giving them some. Poor Venture Boy is lured in by Gaston and the Trio to talk about giving money to the theatre. They give him a tour of the facility, and show their main attraction -- a very makeup-laden Amorette Bouchard who is the star of the theatre.

The other part of the character that we have worked out has to do with Arabelle. Arabelle sees him when the Trio bring him to the Theatre for the first time. She has some weird pre-conceived notions about how romance should work, but she has fallen head over heels for him. Because of her parents she has grandios expectations for how romance should happen -- which makes for interesting drama between herself and Venture Boy. There is also the drama that could ensue if they were even to start courting one another, because the Ventures wouldn't approve of the arrangement, considering that her house is not even among the Great Houses... and never will be. She is "beneath" him in the eyes of the Ventures..

I think that he would first meet her when she is forced to take the stage for ther mother when Amorette falls "ill." She would be the center of attention for once, and Venture Boy is an honored guest of the Trio at that performance. Perhaps that's how they could officially meet.

There are some things we're looking for in someone who can play Venture Boy.
    The person who takes this character must be able to plot with us pretty often. We have some ongoing plotting going on for the Bouchards, and since he's going to have a hand in that at least at first, we need to do lots of plotting ;D

You need permission from both of us to take this character. We're looking for someone with a little more experience.
If you do have any ideas on how to expand on the character, you can feel free to bring them up. If you want to take the character you can PM me, or KChan about him... or talk to us on AIM... or even on Skype...which we have listed somewhere around.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Thoughtful Spurts

Riordan Casuana's Reputation

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:35 AM

I like and want him! I remember you made a topic for Venture Boy a while back, and I thought he was super cool and fun, and I wanted to take him, but then I got distracted and totally forgot he existed :(

I have skype and Aim(though I use the first way more than the latter) and I'd totally love to plot with both of you, since you're super-smart and experienced people, so that should work out. :D

So, onto the character proposal!

Merton Venture.

20 years old, Merton has always lived being told exactly what and how to do everything. He was a very obedient child, an incredibly non-rebellious teenager, and now that he's technically a young adult he still carries over the mentality of respecting one's elders, doing what he's told, and being prim and proper all the time. His clothes all fit very well, his shoes are always polished, and he executes all instructions to the letter.

Because of his apparent competence, his father sent him off to Luthadel-- to be at court, possibly learn a thing or two from the House Lord and heir, and maybe even to find a respectable wife. However there are two problems with his Merton's father's plan.

The first is that Merton is often at a loss of what to do when not doing what he's told. He was never really taught to think for himself, or what judgement would be best, he was only taught not to ask questions, to do as he was told, respect his elders and other superiors, and then be quiet and sit pretty. He can't do that anymore. The main branch of house Venture is only vaguely interested in him, helping him, or any such thing-- they have more important things to take care of after all and he was never one to seek attention if he didn't get it. He usually entertains himself with books or balls if no one wants to see him.

With such vague instructions as "make a man of yourself" and "find some contract or something", Merton isn't coming up with any brilliant ideas anytime soon. He's used to far clearer things and no, he doesn't "just know" how to do those things. The idea that someone can "just know" has always confused him. He's always known things because he was told them, or read them somewhere, not because he just knew them by virtue of having some great knowing ability everyone else seems to have been provided at birth. He was never very charming or well learned in most areas. The only thing that ever really gave him any passion were the arts-- speaking of which, there was a second flaw in Merton's father's plan.

The second flaw in Merton's father's plan, is that Merton loves the arts. He didn't know how much before (he never thought to just up and go to a theater or a concert unless he was being told to do it because it was "appropriate courtship" or something similar). However, in Luthadel-- and with his newfound free time as he attempts to do as his father told him, and with no one breathing down his neck for him to do anything, Merton has found an immense love for the arts. He loves books, music, plays, and paintings, and can loose himself easily wherever they can be found. He has a passion for them and can be surprisingly eloquent whenever he speaks about any topic regarding his favoured art pieces(though that's usually because he has seen or heard them several dozen times to the point of memorization). Still though-- the sights, sounds and stories to be found in those magnificent pieces of art in Luthadel often leave him dumbfounded, and few people think to ask. He doesn't look particularly eloquent.

So Merton has made it his dream to get involved in a contract with someone in the arts. Maybe get a singer for a wife-- that would be great. Once he met this amazing man that told him he-- thanks to being from a great house-- could help provide dancers from the southern isles for his theater, Merton had to say yes. He just had to. He couldn't say yes right away, "it's always good to not seem too interested" his father always said, but he had to say yes regardless. It was the opportunity of a lifetime!

Is that good?

Edited by Thoughtful Spurts, 06 January 2013 - 05:45 AM.

Thoughtful Spurts

Characters:

Active:

Terris: Zincell (Feruchemist)
Skaa: Ema (Tineye), Laurence (smoker),

Inactive:

Skaa: Tiffany [WIP], Lord Donahue (smoker) [WIP]. Ms. Grantham [WIP]
Noble: Eleanor Hamilton (thug) [WIP], Charlotte Morel (smoker) [WIP], Kenrick Venture [WIP], Donahue Heir [WIP], Madeline (mistborn) [WIP].

#4 KChan

Atium Chandelier

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:46 AM

I really like the characterization you've come up with here! Good job! I can't give you an immediate yes or no, though, as another player has also contacted us privately asking about Venture Boy. It's only fair to give both of you a chance, so I'd like to wait until we can hear the other person's proposal before Moru and I decide who we're going to adopt him out to.

Thanks for your interest! :D/>

P.S. - Regardless of who gets the actual Venture Boy role, I hope you'll make this character, even if he ends up not being a Venture. You have some really great character ideas here, and I'd love to see them in action in the RP!

Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Thoughtful Spurts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:51 AM

Thanks!

Thoughtful Spurts

Characters:

Active:

Inactive:

Noble: Eleanor Hamilton (thug) [WIP], Charlotte Morel (smoker) [WIP], Kenrick Venture [WIP], Donahue Heir [WIP], Madeline (mistborn) [WIP].

#6 Noelle

Prelan

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:05 PM

Adala's brother could be the Venture boy ^^

GAH! I did not see all those posts when I put this down, let me edit this with a proper proposal in a bit D:

Aldric Venture tends to think he is everything his sister is not. Slow where she is quick, dutiful where she is flighty, proper where she is uncouth, and while some of that is true, Aldric is not as stupid as he thinks he is. He merely has someone rather unfortunate to compare himself to. Yes he is trusting and naive, and he doesn't think fast, but he thinks thoroughly. Given enough time he can come to a good decision, but put in a situation where he must think fast, he fails miserably.

He doesn't know he is half skaa, and idolizes the man who he thinks his father, Alwin Venture. He thinks he can do no wrong, and wishes only to be a proper heir to his father's plantation. As such he is a dutiful son, working hard to understand all the minutiae of running a plantation. As such he has very few extraneous interests, and both of them are because of his sister.

The first was adventure books, which he learned existed due to his sister just having to show him one of her romance novels. Instead of being disgusted by on the wishy washy romance Aldric found himself quite liking the parts filled with adventure, and not caring at all about the romance, which seemed to involve a lot of swooning and rescuing and other nonsense. So he asked his sister if there was a book with less romance and more adventure and she'd been confused why he'd wanted to read something like that, but had showed him all the same.

These books he could get behind, while they still sometimes had romance in them they were much more about traveling to the edges of the Empire, discovering the ruins of conquered civilizations, or putting down skaa revolts. He did not love them to the extent that Adala loved her romance novels, but he enjoyed them immensely.

On his 17th birthday, Adala introduced him to his second interest, theater. For she got him tickets to a rendition of one of his adventure novels, it was amazing seeing the characters he knew so well given voice and life, and he promptly fell in love with the theater. He could not go often, but when he did he enjoyed it. He even went to performances that weren't adventures. Musicals, tragedies, and especially comedies he all enjoyed.

His reason for coming to Luthadel is a simple one, he wants to look after his big sister. He couldn't let her know this, of course, or she would have fought him tooth and nail for her independence. So he did it in secret, and left for Luthadel a few days after her with a legitimate reason to be there, to become a patron for one of the many theaters of Luthadel, a birthday present from his father.

It is entirely up to you two if you want him to be a misting. I don't care one way or another. However if he is a misting I'd like him to be a tineye, so he can be more of a daddy's boy, and if you decide not to use him I think I might still make him, and just coin flip on whether or not he's a misting.

Edited by Noelle, 06 January 2013 - 08:51 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 Moru

Tineye

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:40 AM

It is so hard to decide between these really awesome character ideas! I really want to see both of these characters in the RP, even if not used for this specific purpose. :)

Though, first I'd like to get your opinion on something:

Comatose IMed me earlier and said: “Wouldn't it be cool to have them both be the Venture Boys.” who are competing for Arabelle. I've talked a little bit about this with Kchan, and we just wanted to see if you guys like the idea. :)

So one of them could be courting Arabelle in secret, or something, and the other can go to the parents and try to openly court Arabelle, with the cover of an engagement. Which would be fun... but yeah. None of this is set in stone, but it was just the random spark of inspiration I got from this idea.

If you guys don't like love triangles, or would rather us pick only one we can totally do that. Just wanted to gauge the reaction from the people who would be playing the character(s) first! :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 Noelle

Prelan

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:46 AM

I personally don't like love triangles, and am not sure if I want to be involved in one. But if you guys can make it work I guess we can do it. One thing to note though, if they're going to be friends, Aldric would totally step aside and let Merton be with Arabelle. He's just that kind of person.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 Thoughtful Spurts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:06 AM

Hmm, I don't know.

On the one side, love triangles can be fun! On the other side, I often suck at them.

On the third side, the characters are kind of similar-- I think that to make the love triangle work best the two characters should be a bit more different from one another. I don't know if this is just because I'm predisposed to love triangles being with Betty/Veronica or Wolverine/Cyclops types of things. Where a character loves character A for such and such reason, and character B for such and such reason and they have to pick which reasons should be more important or best for them.

I think that, since Noelle and I are both probably going to make these characters anyway, thanks to the wonderful feedback received, it'd probably be best if you picked one of them to be venture boy, and the other went on to be involved in a different plot-- while possibly passingly being involved in the Theatre thing and/or helping the other character court Arabelle.

Either that, or instead of it being a traditional love triangle, it could be more of a Cyrano de Bergerac-ish thing, where they're friends, and one of them just massively sucks at romance, and wants to woo Arabelle for superficial reasons, while the other one originally helps the first out of kindness. Then the second grows closer and closer to Arabelle, loving her for who she is and what she wants and so on instead of her pretty voice or connection to the theater or something, so the second attempts to woo Arabelle on his own behalf instead of on the first's-- but she's already been wooed by the first(using the second's words) and things snowball from there as she realizes he's not really the person she fell in love with who wrote all those letters or poems, and things continue to happen from then on. Wao that was an oversized sentence...

Anyway, those are my thoughts on the matter.

Thoughtful Spurts

Characters:

Active:

Inactive:

#10 Moru

Tineye

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:26 AM

Okay, since we're clearly not doing the love triangle idea, Kchan and I have reached our decision for the part of Venture Boy.

It was really hard, there was a pros and cons list and everything, but alas a decision had to be made.

We are going to go with Aldric as the Venture Boy.

I definitely urge you, TS, to make Merton because he's a great start to a character (Although remember to get permission from Kchan if you want to make him a Venture).

Thank you both for your enthusiasm for a character that Kchan and I were starting to think would never be made. XD

(Also if you both agree, and want to do the suggestion that TS came up with about the Cyrano thing I wouldn't mind at all. I think it might be funny. XD Considering that they're all in love with theatre.)

This topic will be moved into the Character Creation and Discussion board. If you have any more ideas and such please feel free to post them! :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 Thoughtful Spurts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:51 AM

:( Awww...gosh darnit! *sighs*

Congratulations Noelle :). Have fun with the theatre.

...I´m gonna go sulk somewhere now...

Thoughtful Spurts

Characters:

Active:

Inactive:

#12 Noelle

Prelan

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:12 AM

Thank you! And I'm sorry TS! D:
I hope you still make Merton!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 Thoughtful Spurts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:31 AM

Yeah, I will, but he´s at the bottom of my priority list now...

Thoughtful Spurts

Characters:

Active:

Inactive:

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users