The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Chap - Journeymen Carpenter

Black Arm Crew

10 replies to this topic

#1 Lanscaper

Steward in Training

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:17 PM

Name: Chap
Powers: None
Role: Love Interest and Con-man in training

Other Pertinent Information:
Journeymen Carpenter, with specialties with inlay and detail work. Chap is highly sensitive to other people's emotions. He uses his understanding of a person's emotional state to figure out how best to please them or make them laugh. When needed he purposely makes himself the 'butt end' of the jokes he makes, which has earned him a reputation for being a klutz despite his rather high quality work. He is a master of situational and physical humor. He has only come to the Meson Workshop in the past two years, because Jonesi noticed his talent for manipulating his superiors by making them laugh, or phrased differently, he survived as long as he has by making himself too amusing to kill.

He is being subtly trained by Grin/Chips to become the next con man. There is also a love interest between him and Thoughtful Spurts character Lau where because of his incredible insight to a person's emotions he is able to understand her, for the most part, without the need for words.

Approve Before Accepting?: Yes

Player Characters:

Noblemen: Winston Elariel

Skaa: Jonesi | Pipes

Work in Progress: Martin Meson - De Facto House Lord, Marcus Meson - House Heir, Jimmi - Foreman in Training, NeeSun - Kandra of a Thousand Minds, Zulo - Keeper of Forgotten Foods

#2 Heliotrope

Steward in Training

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:25 PM

I would love to adopt this character. I'm struggling with an idea for a skaa character at the moment, unable to get past "well, he's going to be a skaa... and that's about it". I read up on the Black Arm crew, the Meson workshop, and I took a peek at Lau's profile, but is there any other pertinent information I should study up on?

Edited by Heliotrope, 25 February 2014 - 05:34 PM.

Posted Image

C H A R A C T E R S

Lady Isovel Elariel

(under construction)

Chap

Rebena

Miss Audine Langlois

NienSarr (eventually, I swear)'

(another third-gen old noble lady who isn't as cray-cray as Izzy whose PB is either Maggie Smith or Penelope Wilton, unless she's a second-gen nobility Lady-wife whose PB is Elizabeth McGovern and yes I love Downton Abbey why do you ask?)

#3 Tal Spektor

Skaa

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:05 PM

Talk to the lovely TS directly. She is in charge of Lau, so she is very important here, and you will want to get along with her before you try to play him. At some point, she asked me to try, but I did not because I did not think I could just write a person who is so good with people.

I wish you good luck!
Is an insane A.I.

#4 Lanscaper

Steward in Training

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:15 PM

Yeah that sounds fine. Hopefully you'll have fun with him. If you have any questions about the Meson Workshop ask me, I'm on AIM, Skype, and iRC chat most of the time during the weekdays.

Player Characters:

Work in Progress: Martin Meson - De Facto House Lord, Marcus Meson - House Heir, Jimmi - Foreman in Training, NeeSun - Kandra of a Thousand Minds, Zulo - Keeper of Forgotten Foods

#5 Heliotrope

Steward in Training

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:34 PM

Brilliant! I dropped a line to TS as well, and I'll wait for her to get back to me first. If she okays it, I'll post again so you know I'm working on his profile.

EDIT: TS has given me the go-ahead, so I'm reviewing the adoption process now. I assume I should be speaking with you, Lan, about development, plotting, and ideas?

So far, my only thoughts for Chap have been that he was raised by at least one misting parent (a soother or rioter), which is where he gets such an innate sense of personality and emotion in others. Disappointed that their son was just a regular skaa, the parent decided to give him lessons in reading people, teaching him how to use his own self, rather than allomancy, to understand and manipulate other people's emotions.

Still doing some brainstorming, but I thought I'd at least start us off with that.

Edited by Heliotrope, 25 February 2014 - 08:12 PM.

Posted Image

C H A R A C T E R S

Lady Isovel Elariel

(under construction)

Chap

Rebena

Miss Audine Langlois

(another third-gen old noble lady who isn't as cray-cray as Izzy whose PB is either Maggie Smith or Penelope Wilton, unless she's a second-gen nobility Lady-wife whose PB is Elizabeth McGovern and yes I love Downton Abbey why do you ask?)

#6 Lanscaper

Steward in Training

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:52 PM

That sounds like a good start! I'll also share that part of the inspiration for Chap's name is Charlie Chaplin.

If he was raised by a Misting parent it could be that Jonesi knew his parents, and that the job referral occurred as part of that connection.

Additionally, I was thinking that Chap isn't as downtrodden by the brutality of the Final Empire.

Also perhaps he decided to us what his parent taught him to survive, rather than to manipulate others.

Player Characters:

#7 Heliotrope

Steward in Training

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:22 PM

Haha, oh gosh. Charlie Chaplin. I'll have to keep that in mind!

I like the idea that Jonesi knew his parents. Maybe they worked for him in the early days of the Meson workshop, then left before he started re-integrating his family in? That way they could avoid the divisions that he Jonesi started implementing among family members, but Chap could return on the encouragement of his parents (maybe because they know they owe Jonesi). He's come back as just a laborer, of course, aware of (but not necessarily acting in) the jobs that the Black Arm takes up.

I also like that he wouldn't be too stepped on by the Empire. An ever-positive fellow, earnest and hard-working, luckily passed over by the Ministry for his lack of powers. He personally doesn't suffer much, but he isn't necessarily unaware of the rest of the skaa's lives. By comparison, he's probably led a much cushier lifestyle than they, with craftsmen for parents and an apprenticeship lined right up for him.

So, all in all, an honest fellow who does what he can to be liked. Not necessarily trying to gain anything from anyone, just trying to get by in the Final Empire and maybe find a little happiness on the way. If that means acting the fool to be friends with people, so be it!

Posted Image

C H A R A C T E R S

Lady Isovel Elariel

(under construction)

Chap

Rebena

Miss Audine Langlois

#8 Lanscaper

Steward in Training

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:36 PM

Yeah, what you got so far sounds good.

Although to clarify something. The separations between the families existed before Jonesi, he only found out later in life about four of the six branches. In my spare time I'm working on Martin Meson and the writeup for the history of the Black Arm Crew, and the history of Jonesi's family. So hopefully when I'm able to sit down and crank out all that I'll have this stuff posted.

Player Characters:

#9 Heliotrope

Steward in Training

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:53 PM

Got it. I'll keep an eye out, and of course feel free to PM me on any more pertinent information.

So for now: slightly goofy, friend of the family now currently working in the workshop, not an active member of the crew/revolution, good-hearted, and eventual love interest for Lau. Anything else we should plot out before I start working on a character sheet?

Posted Image

C H A R A C T E R S

Lady Isovel Elariel

(under construction)

Chap

Rebena

Miss Audine Langlois

#10 Lanscaper

Steward in Training

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:20 AM

Nope, not really in terms of historical plotting.

For the recent history, the master carpenter Chip, who is a conman, is going to be trying to get Chap to exercise his skills for the workshop. Probably starting in flattering the egos of the Meson noblemen that are in charge of them. But where Chap would stop there Chip is going to egg Chap on to trying to get favors out of them.

Additionally, as a skaa that has achieved journeyman (I envision the system working similar to this [may not be canon]: http://en.wikipedia....ymen_carpenters) he has some relative freedom as long as he's on a job. And as House Meson has property and holdings throughout Luthadel, he'll have a chance to walk around Luthadel from time to time.

Eventually depending on how he interacts with the rest of the crew Jonesi might take him on as a second to Chip.

Player Characters:

#11 Heliotrope

Steward in Training

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:08 PM

All right! This is going to be very interesting indeed.

I have a feeling that, since he's not especially downtrodden, he'd be hesitant about "getting things" out of nobles, let alone joining up for crime and/or revolution. He's got no problem with other skaa doing it, but I think his heart of gold is a little too soft. It's going to take some pressure from the others... which means taking advantage of his desire to be liked and accepted. Ooh, I'm squirming in anticipation here!

I'll start on his profile in the next few days! My work schedule is a little wonky at the moment, but I should have some free time by Friday.

Posted Image

C H A R A C T E R S

Lady Isovel Elariel

(under construction)

Chap

Rebena

Miss Audine Langlois

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users