The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Late Night Meeting

W1 D4 NT Maks Ignas Perrin Nessa Valkyn Venture

88 replies to this topic

#21 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

• Relationship StatusBeginning a Relationship with Perrin

• OriginCentral Dominance Plantation

Posted 28 July 2009 - 11:49 PM

Nessa gasped, eyes going wide, when one of the men at the meeting somehow managed to intercept her and then proceeded to catch her fist, pushing her hand back with a strength and capability that meant only one thing.

He had the same power she did. And if he had enough to have run over so quickly, he must have more than she did. That, combined with his larger size and what she could only assume was superior physical strength, meant that Nessa was caught. At least for now. It wouldn't do any good to struggle now when they were expecting her to, so instead of fighting this man she just jumped back, keeping her hands by her sides in what would hopefully be taken as a display of non-aggression. Her eyes, however, still held a dangerous gleam.

"Well, excuse me if a High Prelan in the kitchen wasn't what I'd expected to see," she muttered irritably at the man who had stopped her, but his words soon drove everything else - temporarily - from her mind.

She had been going to demand just why a high-ranking Obligator was standing in a skaa kitchen, seemingly part of this strange meeting, and why he had been fighting an Inquisitor, but one thing leaped to the front of her mind.

"What power?" she asked him suspiciously. "What do you know about that?"

#22 Maks

Member of Lucille Deveaux's Book Club

Posted 31 July 2009 - 04:08 AM

Maks hadn't been the only bystander in the kitchen to gasp in shock when the girl, Nessa, had thrown herself into attack mode. He was, however, the first after Ignas to recover from said shock. It was easy for him to tell that the girl was feeling rather cornered, and he couldn't really blame her. Not many kitchens hosted a High Prelan and a particularly powerful Mistborn, all mixed together with Skaa. Yes, the scene would definitely throw most people off. But all of that seemed to be pushed out of her mind with the mention of her 'power'.

"We know plenty about your power, Nessa," he addressed the girl, stepping forward cautiously a couple steps, "We call it allomancy. And, as I'm sure you've figured out, it's not something only you have." He tried his best to keep his tone unthreatening and perhaps even on the friendly side, though that wasn't something he was finding easy. The girl seemed fairly unstable.

#23 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 08 August 2009 - 10:06 PM

Nessa turned upon hearing a new voice to see yet another unknown man approaching her, looking less overtly threatening than the one who had stopped her earlier. Maybe he was doing it on purpose, or maybe he really was a gentler person, but Nessa didn't plan on letting him get close enough to find out. At least not with her power at its current level. So she stepped back as he advanced, keeping a careful eye on her surroundings.

Allomancy, he called it. The power she used. But how could that be? Only those chosen by the Lord Ruler had such powers, and none of the skaa Nessa had ever met even knew what it did. Few even knew the word itself.

"That's impossible," she insisted in her low voice. "Allomancy is the nobility's power. Even I know that."

#24 Ignas

• Architect of the Rebellion, the Shade

High House Noble
  • Age46

• Relationship StatusSingle

• OriginWestern Dominance

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:03 PM

"Naturally," Ignas said conversationally. "Allomancy is merely a noble power, similar to other truths. Obligators never lead skaa rebellions, skaa never have the fortitude to rebel, the Lord Ruler is God, and the nobility are superior to us." He paused, glancing at everyone, who nodded in agreement. "Also, ash is always healthy to eat. Didn't you know?"

Ignas shook his head. "You might want to rid yourself of these silly 'truths' so we can do more important things, like setting noblewomen on fire. Of course, if Allomancy is a trait of the nobility, that would make you a noblewoman, yes? Then I suppose we could set you on fire instead."

Posted Image

Posted Image

#25 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:30 PM

To say Nessa was confused would be the understatement of a lifetime.

The Obligator started out by listing things that Nessa had always thought were absolute truths - or rather, what the world thought were absolute truths, she had always assumed - but the sudden mention of eating ash threw her mind off track yet again.

Then suddenly the man's spiel changed yet again, this time to talk about setting noblewomen on fire. Setting her on fire. Was this man even sane? Or had Nessa stumbled into some other world by mistake?

"I'm no noble," she growled, shrinking back from the crazy Obligator. "And what do you mean, setting nobles on fire? Rebellion? What's going on? Who are you people?"

Frantic eyes searched for the nearest exit. Though it was likely she couldn't escape, there was no harm in trying should she get the chance.

#26 Ignas

High House Noble
  • Age46

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:51 PM

"Welcome to the rebellion, Nessa." Ignas let the words hang in the air and, his arms behind his back, he paced closer to Nessa. She was not scared. Confused, but not scared. She had scanned for an exit, but fear of the unknown is different than being afraid for her life.

Then again, Ignas did just threaten her with fire, so there could be some of that in there, too.

"Do not fear me. My allies do not. I have not betrayed any of these men. That one? He is Perrin and a Mistborn--an Allomancer, like you, as you already surmised. A handy sum of boxings for turning one of those to the Inquisition, you realize. I have not betrayed him. He is... not my favorite person, but we work well together. I brought him into this, which lets him get his revenge upon the nobility.

"I despise the Lord Ruler. With your help, we shall destroy him and everything he holds will be ruined. Your Allomancy? We shall fuel it. You get it by ingesting Pewter. We have much of it for you. Do you hate the nobles? We shall supply plenty of meat for your pleasure. It will be dangerous, but you are dangerous enough as it is. Name a desire, and we shall help you. I do this to help all skaa...

"In return for your freedom, I expect your obedience, however."

Posted Image

Posted Image

#27 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:58 PM

"I..." Nessa began, but she trailed off. What on earth was there to say? The Lord Ruler was God. Everyone knew that. And yet these people chose to fight him. Maybe it would get her killed, but she sort of got the feeling she might not live long anyways if she tried to escape. They would kill her to make sure she didn't tell anyone.

".... food," she said at last. "I want to eat without risking my neck to steal something. And.... this.... Allomancy business. You can... tell me more about it?"

#28 Ignas

High House Noble
  • Age46

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:17 PM

Ignas nodded. That was easy. "We have plenty of food. The secrets of Allomancy will be yours." He inhaled deeply. "This is the thrill of freedom, Nessa. I certainly hope you enjoy it."

He looked away, fiddling with the dagger in his pocket. "One rule you are never to break... never reveal that an obligator was working with you. This is why I require obedience. My identity is a powerful weapon, as you can attest, but the Inquisition must not know.

"Should you disobey, they will hunt me and I will eventually die. Unfortunately for you, I will not die before doing some choice things to you."

Her eyes widened in horror. Did she really expect that he would ever be attracted to her enough to defile her miserable body? Such a ridiculous thought. Other skaa, the brutish ones, may have done so, but Ignas had no desire. Nessa was a revolting prospect.

"And by that," Ignas continued, "I mean that the Ministry does teach me of torture, and I know a multitude of ways to flay someone. Your death will not be quick."

Of course, there were things that his closest Rebellion advisors didn't even know. Secrets involving much blood and a metal spike murdering the girl, and placing the spike into himself. Pewter would be an interesting power.

Hemalurgy was like that. They could be bonded in blood. To Ignas, that tantalized him far more than the mere prospect of sex.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#29 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:22 PM

"I've been promised as much before," Nessa said flatly, giving an apathetic shrug. "Some tried to deliver. Others didn't. I don't have any reason to try selling you out, though. Don't even know how, really. They'd kill me for looking at an Obligator, let alone trying to talk to him. An Inquisitor might kill me for breathing."

She righted the table as she spoke, then pulled a chair up and slouched down into it. "I won't tell."

#30 Ignas

High House Noble
  • Age46

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:34 PM

"This pleases me," Ignas said, fully aware that his voice hardly sounded jolly. Simply cold and indifferent, like most times.

He stepped around the fallen table to the cabinet, opening one of the top ones. Inside, it was filled with Allomantic vials. He grabbed a pewter vial.

"You sound tired, my dear. That is not as pleasing. Do you not hate the nobles enough to push those feelings away?"

Posted Image

Posted Image

#31 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:41 PM

"Don't love 'em," came the disinterested-sounding reply, "don't particularly hate 'em. They just.... are. I always just stayed out of their way, mostly."

The Obligator was right; Nessa was tired. Knowing these people weren't going to kill her - yet - and having been promised food drained away all of her emotional tension, and with it, the only thing that had been keeping her going in the absence of her power.

"I'll do what you say," she continued simply, "you promised me what I wanted, so I'll do what you want. That was the deal, right?"

#32 Ignas

High House Noble
  • Age46

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:43 PM

"You wanted Allomancy, yes?" Ignas said. "Well, inside this vial is the source of your power. It contains a metal called pewter." He handed it to Nessa. "Drink it. You'll wake right up. Among... other things."

Posted Image

Posted Image

#33 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:49 PM

Nessa blinked at the little glass vial, then gave it a little shake and watched the flakes of metal dance around in the liquid inside.

"You.... seriously want me to drink this," she repeated uncertainly, with an expression that clearly stated she thought the Obligator was out of his mind.

#34 Ignas

High House Noble
  • Age46

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:53 PM

"Nessa, you must learn to trust. Trust in this rebellion, trust in the evil of the nobles, and to trust me. How was Perrin able to stop you from attacking me before? It's those flakes of metal. They are pure, and will not harm you when you burn them. When you drink it, you will have a vast reservoir of power that no doubt you have felt little of."

Posted Image

Posted Image

#35 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:56 PM

Did he just... say.... burn?

"You mean I have to drink this and light it on fire!?" Nessa gasped, dropping the vial onto the table and jumping back out of her seat as though the thing might burst into flame at any moment.

"How come I have to light that on fire?" she demanded. "You say I have to trust you, but there's never any fire involved when I use my power. He didn't burn anything either," she insisted, pointing to the man who had stopped her earlier.

#36 Ignas

High House Noble
  • Age46

Posted 26 June 2010 - 12:01 AM

Ignas frowned. I probably deserved that reaction.

"No, no, I apologize. 'Burn' is an Allomantic term. The fire is metaphoric in nature. To burn, Allomantically, means to activate the power."

Posted Image

Posted Image

#37 Perrin

Member of Lucille Deveaux's Book Club

Posted 26 June 2010 - 02:00 PM

Perrin watched the exchange between the girl, Nessa, and Ignas. His mannerisms probably weren't the best way to make an already skittish person comfortable, but he was blunt and to the point, and in this case it seemed to be working quite well... or as well as it could.

Seeing that the girl would probably need some more reassurance than what Ignas could give her, he stepped forward and plucked a vial of pewter from the cabinet. He turned the vial over once to mix up the metal a little, and then sat down across from Nessa at the table she had so politely righted. "Bottoms up," he said, customary smirk on his lips. Perrin raised the vial to his lips and tilted his head back, allowing the liquid to drain into his mouth.

One of these days he was going to find a more tasty liquid to store the metals in so that drinking those vials would be more pleasing. But for now, it would do. He winked at the girl, "Drink that and we can get to the 'burning' afterwards."

Posted Image

#38 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 26 June 2010 - 10:23 PM

Hesitantly, Nessa sat back down and picked the vial back up off the table. Now that she was a member of the rebellion - or something - and therefore not an enemy, the man who had stopped her earlier wasn't acting threatening at all. He was almost... helpful, which was more than Nessa could say for her crews. The most helpful they had ever been were when they worked together to steal things, or that one time they had tried to teach her to imitate a noblewoman. They weren't so helpful when her horrible performance brought the whole scheme crashing down on their heads, though.

Still, he drank one of the same vials she had been given, and didn't seem to be about to spontaneously combust any time soon. And the Obligator had said something about 'burning' not involving any actual fire, right?

"Fine. I'm trusting you," she announced roughly to the group at large, unstoppered the vial, and downed the contents.

Her first reaction was a sputtering cough; while she had no problem getting the metal down, it tasted horrid, and she couldn't help feeling like some of the flakes had gotten caught in her mouth. "Augh! What is in that!?" she gasped, working her mouth to try and get rid of that awful aftertaste. "You said this is supposed to fuel my power, right? I don't feel... any..."

She had about to say she didn't feel any different, since the initial probe of her power supply revealed that usual feeling. But a moment later, she realized she was just brushing the surface. And looking deeper, she had discovered a massive well of power within her. Now that she could feel that glowing beacon of strength, she couldn't imagine how she hadn't noticed it earlier. She also couldn't imagine how she had scraped by before. There had to be enough for years inside her now!

"Lord Ruler," she gasped, wide-eyed. The glass vial fell to the floor from Nessa's now limp hand. "What is in that!?"

#39 Ignas

High House Noble
  • Age46

Posted 26 June 2010 - 11:33 PM

Ignas burned bronze.

Lan's Shop was always veiled in Copperclouds, naturally, but that didn't mean everything. It was a known secret among the high ranking officials that copperclouds could pierced. The physics involved was not trivial, however.

The most common way that copperclouds were pierced involved Hemalurgy, as Inquisitors spiked with a charged Seeker spike who already were Seekers had, essentially, double the strength with bronze. That was an oversimplification, for Hemalurgy did not add Allomantic strength arithmetically. Still, Inquisitors had this power almost invariably.

Scarier was the fact that the Lord Ruler's infinite power with Allomancy meant that he needed no spike to pierce copperclouds.

Ignas recognized this threat. He was always fortunate he had been a prelan in Farmost. Secluded in the Final Empire, true, but he knew powerful secrets. So, he could counter this piercing copperclouds. It was simple: just have plenty of overlapping clouds. Inquisitors pierced because they had "double" strength, so if Ignas placed three or more Smokers in the same area, three beat two. For this reason, Lan's shop didn't cover a lot of area. Other skaa hideouts might get away with having several copperclouds, one per section of the base, but Ignas needed them to overlap for the maximum protection.

Ignas needed so many Smokers that he wished he could put Perrin on Smoking duty, especially on missions. It was difficult to get Cloud coverage and at the same time defend Lan's shop.

Allomantic power wasn't the only factor in piercing copperclouds. Ignas flared bronze as much as he could--which was incredibly high. He was, after all, a savant, and often burned bronze in his sleep. But he would need as much bronze as he could get simply to see Nessa's Allomancy.

Distance. That was the second biggest factor. Ignas knew the mathematics, so he knew what distance he had to be to break Maks' coppercloud, which was the closest source of Smoke. Though, before he sensed anything inside that coppercloud, he heard a vague thrumming of Allomancy in the distance. It was a testament to the rebellion's precautions that he could stand mere feet away from an Allomancer, fail sensing it, yet still sense someone much further away.

He didn't care about the distant source, he simply flared as high as he could. And, for a second, he felt the telltale beat of pewter, emanating vaguely around Nessa.

Ignas smiled. "That, my dear, is the essence of power. And if you think that is a massive quantity, in a battle, that won't last ten minutes."

Posted Image

Posted Image

#40 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 26 June 2010 - 11:40 PM

"Ten minutes!" Nessa gasped. "What in the Lord Ruler's name do you people do to use all this up in ten minutes!? There's no way. Just...

"You." She spun back to address the man now sitting across the table from her. "You have the same kind of power I do, right? Does this really only last ten minutes?"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users