The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Of Contracts and Alliances

W1 D5 MM Colette Hasting Jessica Marsdale

20 replies to this topic

#1 Colette Hasting

• Potential Hasting Heiress

Atium Chandelier
  • Age19

• Relationship StatusSingle

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusHidden

Posted 11 July 2009 - 03:47 AM

Morning dawned clear and bright, and with it, opportunity.

Colette Hasting rose early, as she did every day, but she took extra care to make sure her appearance was absolutely perfect. Her gown was of the finest fabric, cut in the elegant, more practical style favored by noblewomen during the day. It was, of course, in a lighter color like Colette preferred, but she had chosen a more conservative shade of light blue rather than the pink and white creations of which she was so fond. She wore little jewelry: just enough to display her House's status, but not enough to be gaudy, and not a hair was out of place. It took quite some time for everything to be arranged to her liking, but at last Colette took one last look at her reflection and, finally satisfied, swept out of her chambers.

She went about the day's business as always, seeing to the House's affairs at her father's side. Her upstart cousin ? the foolish boy who thought to inherit simply because he was male and she female ? wasn't present today; he had other business to attend to this morning, for which Colette was thankful. Supporting her Father, Lord Sheldon Hasting, in the meeting to come rather than with him getting in the way would make her appear the stronger candidate. And any time Colette Hasting could get an edge over her rivals, she would take it.

The hours passed, and the time soon came for father and daughter ? along with the servants who assisted Lord Hasting, who had been weakened by illness ? to make their way to one of the formal parlors, on a level about halfway up Keep Hasting's central tower. It was here that they would host representatives from House Marsdale in the hopes of solidifying another contract. And with it, of course, an alliance. Her father's poor health made it necessary for the meeting to be held in Keep Hasting, but ? of course ? Colette would not have had it any other way. Hasting was still a Great House, and relatively high-ranked to boot. They would not stoop to the whims of their lessers; anyone wanting an alliance would have to approach them. Not the other way around. At least, that was how Colette had always seen it.

They would not have to wait long. Colette had made it quite obvious in her communications with Marsdale that punctuality was to be expected. In fact, looking at the clock on the mantel, she realized that they should be hearing word of Marsdale's arrival any minute now.

Posted Image

#2 Jessica Marsdale

• Marsdale Widow

Theatre Spectator
  • Age23

• Relationship StatusWidowed

• OriginWestern Dominance

Posted 11 July 2009 - 05:56 AM

It had taken Jessica an hour to choose her gown that morning. The occurrence was so uncommon that her Terrismen Landtin has finally said, ?Mistress, you had a new dress made precisely for this meeting. Do you intend to go through your whole wardrobe before this afternoon??

?Landtin, that dress is dark blue!? She complained ?Dark blue, for the Lord Ruler?s sake.?

?You said this was an important meeting and that you had to appear in a serious, subdued fashion. You did not want to be shocking, as you usually are. Dark blue is a reasonable color for a lady and it is not flashy. You will look well in it.? He replied reasonably.

She looked down at the offending blue dress. ?It has a lace collar,? she said. ?And lace cuffs.?

?Lace is part of common lady?s fashion. You would seem behind the court of Luthadel if you did not have lace on your dresses, Mistress. I know you want to represent House St. Croix well. ? He replied calmly.

She glared at him, and motioned for one of her skaa to hold it up to her so she could see it. It was a day dress which meant it was not as frilly as many of the ball gowns. She was used to a getting away with wearing slightly less decorative clothing. As a member of one of the higher lesser houses Jessica had done what she wanted for a long time. She no longer had that luxury. Looking in the mirror, Jessica felt the weight of her twenty-three years. I am not an old maid, she thought fiercely, I am a young widow. For a second her hand rested on her stomach and she couldn?t help thinking about Asden and the baby she had lost. Her life would have been so different if only?. ?If only,? she said softly to herself, ?is a useless term.?

?What, Mistress?? Landtin asked. He watched her face carefully and said, ?You are thinking of Master Asden again.?

?It doesn?t matter what I am thinking of, Landtin. You?re right. I must present House St. Croix properly. It is enough that my father trusts me to deal with this. Send in my attendants and have a light meal sent up. It would never do for the Hastings to hear my stomach growl,? she gave a small, subdued smile to her Terrismen.

?Yes, Mistress,? he replied bowing formally.

The attendants came up promptly and Jessica was forced to endure the primping and painting. She always felt like a doll at such times. Even for a simple business meeting she had to have some make-up applied and her hair pulled up off her neck. She forced herself to spend the time going over in her mind the contract St. Croix wanted to negotiate with House Hastings. Primarily, Hastings dealt in weapons which right now were bringing their house directly into competition with Casuana. St. Croix was in a position of offer leather goods for weapons and armor, but Jessica knew her house was going to need supplies to outfit soldiers and keep up their defenses as they moved into Luthadel.

Jessica had to force herself to eat. She had to admit it, she was a little nervous. Her father, Lord Ethan St. Croix, had been called away the day before to deal with an emergency. He had been expected to attend this meeting, but instead he had been forced to leave Fellise as quickly as possible when a missive had reached them informing them that Lady Madelyn, Jessica?s mother, had fallen seriously ill again. Lady Madelyn had returned to their primary residence in the Western Dominance only recently ostensibly so that she could recuperate but truly to hide her alcoholism from the social circles in Fellise?.

?There you are, my lady,? her hairdresser said.

Jessica looked up. She had been so lost in her thoughts she hadn?t noticed time passing. She turned her head to the right and left. Her long black hair was pulled off her face in a tight braid and woven around her head. Finally she shook her head as hard as she could, her traditional way of making sure her hairstyles were secure. Not a strand came loose. Satisfied, she rose. ?Very good. You have leave to go.? Jessica didn?t wait for the woman to leave. She allowed herself to be assisted into her dress and shoes. Finally ready she headed downstairs, Landtin falling into step behind her when she reached the bottom.

?Mistress, you look very well.? He said. ?Your carriage is waiting to take you to Keep Hastings. I have taken the liberty of having your father?s notes brought for you to review on your way.?

?Thank you,? she replied evenly. It would give her something to do on the long ride.

For the next several hours Jessica reviewed the proposal she was going to have to make. When she saw they had reached the outskirts of Luthadel she told Landtin, ?Pause the carriage and have our runner go ahead to inform the Hastings I will be arriving shortly.?

?Yes, Mistress,? the Terris steward said, rapping lightly to signal the driver to stop. Jessica turned back to the pages one last time, taking a breath. I can do this. I have to.

Characters: Claudia Elariel, Jessica Marsdale, Kayla, Adalae Lekal

#3 Colette Hasting

Atium Chandelier
  • Age19

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 11 July 2009 - 03:19 PM

True to her expectations, Colette had hardly completed the thought that her guest would soon arrive when a servant entered the room through a side entrance.

"My Lord, my Lady," the man said with a low bow, "The Lady Jessica Marsdale has arrived."

"Good, good," Colette replied. She took a moment before continuing to give her appearance one last inspection: her gown was arranged properly, and a quick look in the hand mirror she always carried determined that her hair and makeup were still in place. Finally, she checked her zinc reserve and - satisfied at last - turned back to the servant.

"Bring her up," she instructed, and seated herself next to her Father.

Posted Image

#4 Jessica Marsdale

• Marsdale Widow

Theatre Spectator
  • Age23

Posted 12 July 2009 - 02:03 AM

The carriage stopped just outside the entrance to the Keep. Her driver stepped off and came around to help Jessica out of the carriage. She smoothed out her dress as Landtin stepped out behind her. He offered her the papers she has brought with her. "You will do fine, Mistress," he said under his breath. She glanced briefly back over her shoulders and smiled gratefully. Slowly, with a grace that was still more practiced than natural, Jessica ascended the steps.

A seneshal waited for her at the door. "Lady Marsdale, welcome to Keep Hastings. If you would follow me; Lord Hastings and Lady Collette are waiting for you."

"Thank you," she replied. "Landtin, wait here."

#5 Colette Hasting

Atium Chandelier
  • Age19

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 12 July 2009 - 02:14 AM

After a few moments' wait, the same servant from earlier - at least, Colette thought he was the same man; it was hard to tell with most of the servants - knocked on the door and bowed his way in.

"My Lord, my Lady," he intoned, "May I present the Lady Jessica Marsdale." He then stepped aside, allowing the named guest to enter.

"Lady Marsdale," Colette said pleasantly, offering the woman a smile that didn't touch her hard eyes, "welcome to Keep Hasting. Please, come in," she continued, gesturing to a seat set across from the Hastings' with a low table between, "and have a seat. Can I offer you any refreshment before we begin? Perhaps some wine or a cup of tea?"

Posted Image

#6 Jessica Marsdale

• Marsdale Widow

Theatre Spectator
  • Age23

Posted 12 July 2009 - 02:40 AM

"Tea would be lovely, thank you. I appreciate your hospitality, Lady Hastings." Jessica replied with a small smile. "I must apologize for my father's absence. I'm afraid we had a minor personal emergency that called him away." It was a risky statement to make, but Jessica felt she had to address the issue right off and make it seem unimportant. If the Hastings had to ask it would certainly seem like she was hiding something and she would appear even more vulnerable.

She crossed the room slowly sinking into the proffered seat.

#7 Colette Hasting

Atium Chandelier
  • Age19

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 12 July 2009 - 02:55 AM

Colette gestured sharply to the servants standing around the perimeter of the room as soon as the word "tea" was spoken, and they snapped into motion. There was a plate of small cakes on the table and a pot of tea in the room almost before the Lady Jessica had finished speaking.

Colette, meanwhile, never took her eyes from her guest's face. She merely sat, listening, with her sharp gaze fixed on the woman in front of her. A minor personal emergency? Colette wondered. What kind of minor emergency calls the leader of a House away from a meeting as important as this?

"My, my, how dreadful," she said out loud. "Cream and sugar, darling? The servants will fix your tea how you like it." The casual comment was completely out of place compared to the topic of conversation, but Colette affected not to notice, or care. "I do hope the matter is resolved quickly."

"It is well, of course," Colette's father - Lord Sheldon - said, speaking for the first time, "that he was able to send someone in his place. I understand you have a proposal for me from House St. Croix. I am quite interested to hear what you have to say." Lord Hasting managed to look imperious and inviting at the same time as he spoke; Colette, on the other hand, merely continued her near unblinking study of Lady Marsdale. Father was right: this was going to be interesting indeed.

Posted Image

#8 Jessica Marsdale

• Marsdale Widow

Theatre Spectator
  • Age23

Posted 12 July 2009 - 03:32 AM

'Thank you, Lady Hastings, but I drink my tea plain," she replied breezily. She took the tea from the serving girl as she handed it and sipped it briefly. Setting it down, she rested her hands on her lap and took a deep breath. "House St. Croix does indeed have an offer. We have recently expanded our ability to produce leather and timber. We're aware that House Hastings is always in need of such supplies to keep your weapons foundries running. We'd like to offer you some of that production, if you might be interested."

She picked up the tea again, sipping it. Her eyes caught Lady Colette watching her with a socialite's smile and cold, evaluating eyes. Jessica kept her eyes on Lord Hastings and her tone businesslike, only occasionally turning to smile politely at Lady Colette.

#9 Colette Hasting

Atium Chandelier
  • Age19

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:59 PM

Colette returned Lady Marsdale's polite smiles over her own cup of tea, sweetened with gratuitous amounts of milk and sugar, as she listened to the woman's proposal. It had promised, and this woman's House seemed to be on the brink of becoming a Great House. If Hasting helped pull them up, they would stand to gain a strong ally in the coming years.

"Hasting does indeed require materials," Lord Sheldon said, reflecting Colette's own sentiments, "but purchasing more at the moment would increase our stock beyond what our current production requires. We would overfill our warehouses, or else increase production. And there is no point in producing weapons that no one will buy." The man's finishing statement held a bit of a question; of course a House seeking a place in Luthadel would need to arm itself.

Posted Image

#10 Jessica Marsdale

• Marsdale Widow

Theatre Spectator
  • Age23

Posted 20 July 2009 - 11:39 PM

Jessica's smile was easy, and became more sincere. She heard the unasked question all to clearly. "I believe, Lord Hastings, you would have no trouble finding additional markets for your goods given the current situation with the skaa. Further, my family would be interested in purchasing some of your additional production ourselves."

She set her cup down, admiring the fine china for a moment before adding, "If you would care to look over my father's original proposal, I do have it with me -- although it is only a basic draft and by no means not subject to modifications."

#11 Colette Hasting

Atium Chandelier
  • Age19

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 21 July 2009 - 12:16 AM

"Oh, of course," Colette put in, gesturing to a servant to take the proposal and carry it over to her. "Contracts are rarely, if ever, agreed to without at least some negotiation."

"The question is," Lord Sheldon asked, [b]"is if you yourself have the authority within your House to complete such arrangements yourself. It is rather... inconvenient to schedule and reschedule meetings all the time."

Posted Image

#12 Jessica Marsdale

• Marsdale Widow

Theatre Spectator
  • Age23

Posted 21 July 2009 - 12:21 AM

Jessica handed the stack of papers to the servant and looked directly into Lord Hastings eyes. "I have the authority to complete this contract, Lord Hastings. We would not expect you to have the time to reschedule. My father would not have sent me if I were only able to relay a message; such a thing is better accomplished by others and would have taken much less valuable time on both our parts."

#13 Colette Hasting

Atium Chandelier
  • Age19

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 21 July 2009 - 03:45 AM

"Good, good," Lord Sheldon said, holding out his hand for the first draft of the contract. Colette, who had finished her initial rapid-scan of the document, handed it over. Her Father adjusted his spectacles and began to read thoughtfully, occasionally nodding or raising an eyebrow at specific passages. It would take a while for Lord Sheldon to finish reading the document, so Colette took things into her own hands.

"So, Lady Marsdale," she said with a smile, "I trust you find Luthadel to your liking? The capital can be an intimidating place for a House looking to increase its status."

Posted Image

#14 Jessica Marsdale

• Marsdale Widow

Theatre Spectator
  • Age23

Posted 21 July 2009 - 03:52 AM

It's crowded and dirty, was Jessica's first thought. But she couldn't say that. "It's a fascinating place." She replied thoughtfully. "Full of fascinating places. The Keeps and architecture in particular is stunning." Internally Jessica winced. She doubted Lady Hasting cared about things like architecture. She probably was so used to seeing the sites of Luthadel that she didn't even think about them anymore. She cast about quickly in her mind for a new topic. "I find one of the things I miss most, actually, is that there is really no place here where one can go out riding. Are you an equestrian, Lady Hastings?"

#15 Colette Hasting

Atium Chandelier
  • Age19

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 08 August 2009 - 10:51 PM

Colette smiled.

Who would have thought that the woman before her would share a common interest, and one that was not entirely suited to Luthadel? This was very good indeed. Shared interests made making contacts and building alliances that much easier.

"As a matter of fact, I am," Colette replied truthfully, raising an eyebrow slightly in surprise. "Who would have thought, here in Luthadel?"

Posted Image

#16 Jessica Marsdale

• Marsdale Widow

Theatre Spectator
  • Age23

Posted 23 August 2009 - 12:02 AM

"Who indeed. My family keeps some of the finest horses, Lady Hastings. Perhaps sometime you would like to come to Fellise to ride?" Jessica offered a small smile, the warmest she had displayed yet. "The area is more suitable and it is very rare to encounter another lady possessing the where with all to truly engage in the pastime."

#17 Colette Hasting

Atium Chandelier
  • Age19

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 27 June 2010 - 01:09 AM

"That sounds positively delightful," Colette simpered. "You simply must stop by for tea sometime, and we'll get everything set up."

A glance in her Father's direction showed that he was still immersed in the contract, so Colette kept up the gossip. "You know," she continued, "House Casuana's Ball is coming up soon. Can you believe their gall? Throwing a party after angering two Great Houses! If you ask me, that Mia Casuana is inviting trouble."

Now, let's see how you respond.

Posted Image

#18 Jessica Marsdale

• Marsdale Widow

Theatre Spectator
  • Age23

Posted 29 June 2010 - 06:08 AM

"I suspect Lady Casuana wishes to convince her supporters she is able to go on," Jessica replied easily. "We shall see if she is successful, although perhaps a ball so soon after the death of her husband! With so much instability it will surely be an evening of interesting developments to say the least. While I doubt it could be accounted as a wise move I think it should prove entertaining at the least, don't you agree, lady Hastings?"

#19 Colette Hasting

Atium Chandelier
  • Age19

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 30 June 2010 - 06:01 AM

"Entertaining?" Colette repeated, setting her teacup onto its saucer with a delicate clink. "That's one way to put it, I suppose. Though honestly, Mia Casuana has always been a bit.... brash. And now she's made enemies of two very powerful Houses."

Colette burned Zinc as she spoke, deftly and subtly Pulling on Lady Marsdale's feelings of openness and comfort. This was no time for courtly games; she needed to know how the woman truly thought. Her touch was delicate; the emotional changes would barely be noticed, if at all, but in the back of the woman's mind, they would be there.

"Tell me honestly, my dear," Colette continued with a smile. "How do you think Casuana will fare in the coming months?"

Posted Image

#20 Jessica Marsdale

• Marsdale Widow

Theatre Spectator
  • Age23

Posted 12 July 2010 - 12:40 AM

She relaxed a little, settling back into the chair and feeling a little less tense. It was going well. Landtin had been right. She could handle this. "Not well. Breaking their contracts makes them more than unreliable - it makes them a financial risk as well as a security risk. With the atmosphere in Luthadel there aren't going to be many people willing to deal with a family that's already been known to break deals. Plus with Juliana Casuana's death the state of the house is in flux. I'm not sure Lady Casuana has the mettle to hold it together."

"I also suspect they are going to have serious security issues," she went on.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users