The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
» Forum Rules
» The Story Thus Far
» Character Application
» Frequently Asked Questions
» Character System Guide
» Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
» The Three Metallic Arts
» Guide to the Final Empire
» Map of Luthadel
» The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
» Introduce Yourself
» Universal Continuity Thread
» The Timeline
» Adoptable Characters
» Wanted Characters
» Face Registry
» Open Threads List

Mistborn Series © Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Silvan Calomine- House Heir

6 replies to this topic

#1 Silvan Calomine

• Calomine Heir

Posse Member
  • Age22

• Relationship StatusSingle, mostly

• OriginCalomine Plantation, Southern Dominance

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:31 PM

Silvan Calomine
Noble

Posted Image

Name/Handle: Mozy
Contact: If you don’t communicate by smoke signals, can’t help you. Sorry.

Posted Image

Name: Silvan Calomine
Type: Noble
Place of Origin: Calomine Plantation in the Southern Domincance.
Relationship Status: Single, mostly

Posted Image

Silvan is a handsome, dark young man. He’s tanned from the southern sun and his eyes are dark and have a certain look to them when he is talking to a particularly pretty girl, a lust, almost, clearly visible to anyone who is actually looking. His nearly-black hair is groomed and combed and his face is clean shaven. There’s an intensity to his face, grown from the financial worries of his house and all the glowering he does. His nose shows the signs of having been broken many times before.

As for build, he’s well built and well muscled, mostly to impress the ladies. His shoulders are broad and his limbs long. His face is angular and he has high cheekbones. His hands are nimble and tend to stray from his better judgment when around some women.

Posted Image

Silvan is a slimy, sleazy, and generally bad-tempered young man. He has a charisma that catches the eye of the ladies and a charm that hides his flaws. He abhors the Skaa and enjoys dallying with Skaa women, partially because he knows they will be killed afterwards. He’s ambitious and hates his family. He wants the Calomine house to advance to Great House status someday, hopefully while he’s head.

Silvan has no intention of marrying anytime soon, but he does want to get his sister married off as soon as possible, probably to someone rich. He believes that if he can get a contract with a major house through his sister, the house will grow. An added benefit would be getting his sister off his back.

Posted Image

Special Skills: Smarm, manipulation of the gullible, charismatic interactions with other people, especially when a contract is involved.

Strengths: Charm, the ability to talk his way into people’s affairs, and he is very thoughtful when it comes to ways to get the house to grow.

Weaknesses: He’s a jerk. Only his family knows it, but he has a talent for getting on certain people’s bad side. Silvan is a smarmy, slimy, evil man.

Posted Image

Silvan Calomine, born in the year 896 to parents Grynd and Zeldelle Calomine, was raised on the Calomine Plantation. He was a bitter child, always wishing he could be off with his uncle Sirel in Luthadel. His parents had very little time to keep him in check and so he would often get everything he wanted, at least until Zella was born. His small two-year-old mind hated her for taking attention away from him. As he grew up he learned to hate the ‘uncultured’, ‘lonely’ nature of the plantation and Zella only let him tease and bully her so far. Whenever Sirel was at the plantation Silven would spend entire days around his uncle and through his uncle he learned to hate the Skaa. Sirel had never liked the family’s attitude to the Skaa.

When he was eight he underwent the beating to see if he snapped and when he didn’t he was severely disappointed. He took it out, as always, on his sister and it ended in a broken nose. Four years later when she snapped and became a Tineye he was incredibly jealous and once more attempted to bully her about it. However, now she knew that she was better than he was and wouldn’t hear any of it. That was the second time she broke his nose.

Then their parents died. They never found out exactly how, but it was told that Grynd and Zeldelle, along with Grynd’s brother Sirel, where killed in a carriage accident. Silven didn’t feel nearly as sad as he probably should have. For him it was just two less people to have to get in the way of his being in charge. He was more sad about his uncle’s death. He believed that his parents hadn’t understood him, but Sirel had. His grandparents then tried to make him a better person, and so he learned how to be sneaky. Instead of yelling at people he would find smaller ways to punish them for whatever they had done to him. He would make up things that certain Skaa workers did to him and try to get his grandfather to have them beaten. He was, all in all, just sneakier with his cold, bitter personality. He learned to be charming to people and he grew into a very charismatic young man.

When he was seventeen he overheard his grandparents talking about Edre, the Skaa woman who had married Silvan’s great-grandfather and the biggest secret of the Calomine family, and threatened to expose the secret if they didn’t make him head of the house. His grandfather refused and sent him to Luthadel with his fifteen-year-old sister. Edarad sent the family steward with them and tried to think no more about it. He told Silvan that he would be more helpful in a place where he could grow the allies and contracts of the house. Silven took it all with a smugness and left within the week.

The years passed and the now 23-year-old young man has great plans to get the house to Great House status. His grandfather’s health is waning and it doesn’t look like Issa, his grandmother, will take over when Edarad is gone. For Silvan, however, the first order of business is to marry Zella off to someone rich and gain a house ally through that. The house is much more financially stable than it was ten years ago and he has the money to make their image better. Silvan likes that.

Posted Image

Silvan smiled and set down his pen. Finally. Finally he was done convincing his grandfather that they needed to go to one of the larger houses and gain strong allies. After losing roughly half their Skaa to sickness in the winter it looked like they’d fall in status again, and they had only just managed to stabilize. It was a shame that Edarad had to be so stubborn. Well, he was old. It was to be expected that a man of his age would be loath to change his ways. The first order of business now was to get Zella married off to a strong potential ally.

He stood and walked out into the hallway of their small manor. There was a ball tonight and he wanted to let Zella know that she needed to be on her very best behavior. He knocked once on her door before entering. Zella turned towards him, the skirt of her beautiful red silk dress making hardly any noise as she moved, and rolled her eyes. “I assume you’ve heard from grandfather?”

“I have. I wanted to let you know that you’re officially looking for a husband starting tonight. Make it someone rich.” Silvan said, eyeing her dress. “Isn’t that a little bold?”

Zella snorted softly. “As you said, I’m looking for a husband. Don’t I need to be a bit bold?”

“You have a point.” Silvan admitted reluctantly. “God help the man who wants to marry a half-blood freak like you.” He added with a sigh.

“So when’s my half-blood brother planning on marrying. You’re the one who wants to save the house so badly. Why don’t you marry someone rich as well?”

Silvan glared at her. “I have other, more important duties to attend to.”

“Ah yes.” Zella smiled sweetly before turning back to her mirror and picking up a hairbrush. “Like that Skaa prostitute you were with last night. Very important.”

Silvan almost snapped at her, but he held himself back. “The point is, Zella, that you need to behave tonight. Our image needs to be good if this is to work.”

“Of course, big brother. Anything for the house.” Zella said sweetly and Silvan couldn’t figure out if she was being sarcastic or not. “Now leave. I need to finish getting ready, and you very well can’t go to a ball in that.” She gestured behind herself at his clothing. “That vest still has a stain on it.”

Silvan almost protested that it didn’t but Zella turned her head over her shoulder and waved him towards the door. It was his turn to roll his eyes before he left. If Zella said his vest had a stain on it, it probably did. It was the only good thing about her being a Tineye. They’d both need some new clothes if they were to put up an image of being financially stable, but for now he didn’t want to worry about that. They could go shopping tomorrow.

Edited by MozytheHealer, 15 September 2013 - 04:34 PM.

#2 KChan

Lord Prelan

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:02 PM

Looks good so far! I'm almost ready to mark this approved, but there's a couple things I'd like to see added to the app first.

First, it looks like several sections of your application are missing closing tags, as the entirety of the Player Info, Character Info, and Additional Traits are not supposed to be bolded. If you could fix that, it would make those sections much more readable. Next, we have this:

When he was seventeen he overheard his grandparents talking about Edre and threatened to expose the secret if they didn’t make him head of the house. His grandfather refused and sent him to Luthadel with his fifteen-year-old sister. Edarad sent the family steward with them and tried to think no more about it. He told Silvan that he would be more helpful in a place where he could grow the allies and contracts of the house. Silven took it all with a smugness and left within the week.

I realize there are other Calomines being worked on and their applications might answer this question, but it's generally bad form to force people to read another application in order to make sense of your own. Who are these people, what happened here, and why was the threat so serious that it convinced them to make Silvan the heir? You don't have to spell it out in ridiculous detail, but please fill us in enough that a first-time reader can follow what's going on without reading someone else's app.

A couple more things I'd like clarified in this app: Who is Issa? How did Silvan's parents and uncle die? What type of Allomancer is Zella?

Like I said, you're looking good so far, but these are things that someone who reads your app before the other Calomines' might not already know, and it's always better to be redundant than confusing.

Also, I like that you made a "slimy" character, as you described him. I look forward to seeing how he'll interact with the rest of the cast!

Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 MozytheHealer

Posse Member

Posted 14 September 2013 - 10:50 PM

I shall work on that all at once. I thought I had included some of that stuff, but I did write Silvan and Zella's applications at the same time as the house app. Would you be willing to give me a second set of eyes on Zella's app in the Workshop? I can probably find the similar problems in it, but I often forget to explain in enough detail, even on my second time through.

EDIT: Tada!

Edited by MozytheHealer, 14 September 2013 - 11:33 PM.

PCs:

Delve, Silvan Calomine, Zella Calomine, Liss

Renette Deveaux, Marceline Dumont

Isabelle Sureau, Gisela Sureau,

Adalaide Getrue, Oliver Martel,

Grandell Tekiel, Yvette Valcier,

Katryn Domaille

WIPs:

Ranee, Delacey,

Theodoric Getrue, Kyl,

Vanessa Venture, Cedric Hallieau

Cordelia Morel, Kennith Fathvell

NPCs:

Issa Calomine, Randall Scanlan

#4 KChan

Lord Prelan

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:07 PM

Thanks for clearing those things up! Silvan's history is much clearer to me now, so I'm happy to mark you Approved! One more vote and you're good to go! I'll check out Zella in the workshop as soon as I'm able. ^^

Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 MozytheHealer

Posse Member

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:31 PM

Awesome, thanks!

PCs:

Delve, Silvan Calomine, Zella Calomine, Liss

Renette Deveaux, Marceline Dumont

Isabelle Sureau, Gisela Sureau,

Adalaide Getrue, Oliver Martel,

Grandell Tekiel, Yvette Valcier,