The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Meeting with Rebels

Ask W2 D4 LN

79 replies to this topic

#61 Valerre

• Rebel

House Fathvell
  • Age22

• Relationship StatusSingle

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusHidden

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:22 PM

"So, I'm supposed to die because you don't get what you want from me, hmmm? That doesn't sound very fair and equal to me. You, the noble with the power, get to boss everyone around, and kill any body who gets in your way. Looks to me like you are just like every other noble. You might talk and theorize about ideals, but when it comes down to it, you can't stand the idea of being in the power of another, which is why you will never understand what it is to be a skaa." Valerre was quickly developing a head ache, likely a result of the copious amounts of alcohol he had consumed earlier in the evening. His friend, from before, was passed out back at the brothel, having continued to drink, with encouragement from Valerre, long after Valerre had decided it would be best to start sobering up if they were ever going to find their way back to the brothel.

"But. it appears you have me at a disadvantage, so I guess I have no choice but to comply with your demands." If only I could make him feel guilty. And classically trained Rioter could have evoked feelings of guilt with ease, but Valerre had never succeeded at rioting unless he focused on feelings already existing within himself, and letting his guilty conscience out of the box Valerre was keeping it in was not something he was willing to do just to manipulate some silly noble.

#62 Wilor Zerrung

• Noble Lurcher, fighting for Skaa

Riordan Casuana's Reputation
  • Age22

• OriginTremredare

• Allomantic StatusRumored

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:59 PM

"I'm very sorry about that, but that's the world we live in. If I let my guard down, what would stop you or Devin from robbing and killing me? It's just that I've been looking for this for years and now that I'm so close, I can't afford to lose it. You don't have to help me, I can always go back to that brothel and find someone else to help me," Wilor was tired of chasing the rebellion. He wanted answers and to be able to help.

"I'll tell you what, if you tell me about the rebellion and get me in, I'll live as a skaa for a day. I can't do it any longer or people would begin to look for me and I have responsibilities to take care of."

Edited by Mailliw73, 02 October 2013 - 04:59 PM.

Wilor

--Wilor Zerrung,der Abzieher

#63 Daphne

• Rebel

House Fathvell
  • Age28

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:14 AM

Daphne knocked gently on Valerre's door. After waiting a moment, she pressed her ear against the door, listening for any signs of movement. Not hearing anything (at least, not from Valerre's room), she slowly opened the door to peek in. She did not like to invade Valerre's privacy, but she hadn't seen him for the entire day, and she wanted to ensure he had made it home safely.

There was a man lying on Valerre's bed, barely visible in the dim sliver of light provided by the hallway lamps. The man, obviously not Valerre, was sprawled out on the bed, sleeping soundly. No doubt he would have a rude awakening when Tura demanded payment, if, of course, Valerre hadn't extracted it already. He had an uncanny way of parting handsome young men from their money that Daphne hadn't figured out yet. Perhaps it had something to do with his rioting.

Well, at least I know he made it home. The room stank of sweat and liquor, which meant if Valerre was not passed out in the arms of his new friend, he was out somewhere alone thinking, a far more dangerous possibility. Sighing, Daphne gently closed the door and headed to the back door of the Brothel, hoping to find Valerre sulking on the steps, one of his usual haunts when he settled into one the dark moods he often had when sobering up.

He wasn't there. He probably just went for a walk. Daphne told herself, trying her best not to worry. He'll be back, she told herself, He always comes back. She just hoped he wouldn't do anything to foolish on the way.

Suddenly, the sound of laughter echoed out from the night. Valerre! It was his laugh, Daphne would know it anywhere. Dressed only in a night gown, Daphne reached in and grabbed a random pair of shoes and a shawl from the door and set out into the night. The cool air, damp from the mists, chilled her skin even through the shawl. Daphne started burning copper, trying to trick herself into feeling warm, and kept her ears open for any sign of Valerre's voice.

Finally she heard it, and redirected her course towards it. Soon, she was close enough to hear things clearly, though Valerre and his two companions were keeping their voice low.

"So, I'm supposed to die because you don't get what you want from me, hmmm? That doesn't sound very fair and equal to me. You, the noble with the power, get to boss everyone around, and kill any body who gets in your way. Looks to me like you are just like every other noble. You might talk and theorize about ideals, but when it comes down to it, you can't stand the idea of being in the power of another, which is why you will never understand what it is to be a skaa." Daphne could tell from the sound of his voice that he was distressed, even though he was trying to sound cool and aloof. He never admits to himself how much he cares.

"I'm very sorry about that, but that's the world we live in. If I let my guard down, what would stop you or Devin from robbing and killing me? It's just that I've been looking for this for years and now that I'm so close, I can't afford to lose it. You don't have to help me, I can always go back to that brothel and find someone else to help me." What in the world had Valerre gotten himself into? Who was this man who claimed to be searching for the brothel? What was he looking for there? And who was Devin?

"I'll tell you what, if you tell me about the rebellion and get me in, I'll live as a skaa for a day. I can't do it any longer or people would begin to look for me and I have responsibilities to take care of." Valerre, what have you done? If this man was a noble and knew about the brothel, his silence would have to be ensured, or he had to die. There was no other option. Daphne hated the thought of killing someone who seemed genuine in his desire to help, but if it meant defending all of the people she loved, Daphne knew she would do what needed to be done.

Before Valerre could respond and make things worse, Daphne stepped around the corner, walking up behind the two men who were confronting him.

"We all have responsibilities to take care of," she said softly, but making certain she was heard. "We have people we are responsible to, and for. People we must protect at all costs. I hope you will understand, sir, why Valerre is being so careful. I don't know what your interest is in our home, or in the rebellion, but you have to understand that we are not just protecting ourselves with our secrets. We are protecting our entire world, and the lives of every one we work with and care about."

Trying to seem confident, Daphne strode passed the two men without hesitating, and moved to face them standing beside, but slightly in front of Valerre. If things turned violent she would make certain he lived, at all costs. "I'm sure you have important reasons for doing what you are doing, but surely we can come to some sort of arrangement without resorting to petty threats." Daphne kept her voice soft and gentle, trying to diffuse some of the tension in the air. "I'm sorry," she said, "It seems I haven't introduced myself. My name is Daphne." Giving ones name was one of the easiest ways to create a connection to another person, and in the situations Daphne was used to dealing with, that tiny connection could mean the difference between getting beaten to death and making a statement about her inherent humanity.

"You don't have to tell me your names, if you don't want to," she continued, still trying to ease them all away from the edge. "But I would love to know them. Then, perhaps we can start from the beginning, and sort out why everyone is so worked up, hmmm? Tell me, sir, what is your interest in my home?"

Posted Image
Posted Image

#64 Delve

Posse Member
  • Age25

• OriginNorthern Plantation

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:38 AM

Delve was determined to stay out of it, but Wilor wasn't really doing very well. Of course, what did she care if he died? With the arrival of this woman it didn't look like Wilor was going to get out of it unscathed. She sighed silently. She could probably run away, though that wouldn't look very good. It was crucial to her that she maintained an image.

She stepped closer to Wilor. "Stop it. You're not helping anything." She hissed at him before he could respond to the question.

She stepped forward and held up her hands to show they meant no harm. "Miss, this here's an idiot who thinks he can help. I'm Devin, he's Wilor. He doesn't mean any harm to you, really, and I wouldn't have brought him here if he hadn't been so determined to help the cause." Delve honestly didn't care about Wilor's intentions, but it would hopefully help him trust her more if it sounded like she did care. "I definitely wouldn't put a pretty woman like you in danger if I could help it."

Edited by MozytheHealer, 03 October 2013 - 11:38 AM.

#65 Wilor Zerrung

• Age22

• OriginTremredare

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:33 PM

"I guess since Valerre and Devin already know, and you've seen my face, it doesn't make a difference. Like he said, I'm Wilor Zerrung," Wilor told the new woman. She has no metal on her and she seems to have street experience. She won't be easy to fight if this turns sour.

"I don't want to harm you. I just would like information and a chance to help. And your word thar you'll keep my identity a secret."

Wilor

#66 Valerre

• Rebel

House Fathvell
  • Age22

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:49 AM

Valerre fell silent as Daphne swept in to put things to right, just as she always did. Lord Ruler, what would I do without her? Her posture, bearing, and every intonation of her voice was perfectly crafted to set people at ease. Much of that came from practice, but Valerre knew at the core of her ability to understand people and communicate with them was Daphne's own innate talent. Where Valerre confronted people and got defensive, Daphne listened and truly felt out their situation. She thinks of others too much, he thought, suddenly growing ashamed of his behavior. Daphne must be tired from a difficult day of work, and yet here she was out in the mists and ash, rescuing Valerre from a situation he got himself into because he was bored. Sometimes I hate myself, thought Valerre. Then he laughed at the absurdity of the thought. He always hated himself.

Daphne spared him a glance as he laughed, and Valerre could see was concerned for him. Before he could give her a look intended to say, 'I'm fine,' she turned her attention back to Wilor and Devin were saying, seeming to give them her full intention while still taking in as much information as she possibly could. Valerre tugged briefly on her sense of well being, though his pull wasn't very strong since he wasn't feeling particularly cheerful, but he knew she would get the message, as long as she wasn't burning copper.

"I mean no harm to you or yours, Lord Wilor. I only mean to protect my family. I hope you can understand that, unless I have some assurance any information I give you will not be used to harm those I care about, I cannot give you what you seek." Daphne said, meeting the gaze of the nobleman as if they were equals. They are equals, Valerre told himself, before quickly making a correction. They weren't really equals. No one was Daphne's equal. This nobleman wasn't even fit to stare at her shoes, let alone into her beautiful eyes.

"You say you want to help," she continued, her tone warm but confident. "Well, what if I could give you the opportunity to do just that without giving away information that would put the people I care about in jeopardy. I know instructions from a mere prostitute are not what you came here looking for. I can't speak for the rebellion as a whole, and I don't have the power to give away its secrets without permission, but I do know a thing or two about helping people. If you agree to do what I ask of you, you won't be going on top secret missions or performing daring acts of valor, but you will be making a real difference in the lives of real people." She emphasized that word, people, giving it the weight it deserved. Whenever she could, Daphne avoided using the words 'skaa' or 'noble' at times like these when it counted, hoping to emphasize her view that they were really all the same.

Valerre released the breath he realized he had started holding when Daphne began speaking. She was breathtaking, standing with her back straight and her head high, meeting the gaze of a noble as an equal in the twisting mists. "So, Lord Wilor, I would advise you to ask yourself before we proceed what you are really looking for. If you are just looking for a thrill, or a way to hurt your family, I would suggest joining a thieving crew. Even if you do eventually join the rebellion proper, you will find it to be far less glamorous than it is in your imagination. If you really care about people, and want to help, maybe the rebellion will have a place for you. Like I said, that's not up to me. I'm just a prostitute who can give you an opportunity to make a difference."

Valerre remained silent, waiting to see what happened next.

#67 Wilor Zerrung

• Age22

• OriginTremredare

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:03 AM

"If it will make a real difference, I will do my best to do what you ask. After all, you have infinitely more experience with this than I do," Wilor said. This woman was actually getting him somewhere. She made him feel at ease.

I just have to hope that Devin won't sell me out. Hopefully that food is enough to prevent that.

Edited by Mailliw73, 09 October 2013 - 01:03 AM.

Wilor

#68 Delve

Posse Member
  • Age25

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:41 PM

Delve watched the proceedings with interest. However, this woman really didn't make her feel very comfortable. Nothing about the situation did. She was just really uncomfortable. She stepped back and thought about acting. She was a bold, respectful man who was very comfortable with this situation. He'd probably been to a couple of brothels before. He, Devin, this persona she was creating, definitely had the attitude for it. She couldn't be Delve in this moment. Not the scared woman who never wanted to go within sixty feet of a brothel ever again. She had to keep her cool.

This woman was definitely better at this than Valerre. She seemed like she actually wanted to get somewhere, not that she was just looking for a fight. Hopefully Wilor would settle whatever he needed to settle and they could get out of there soon. The most interesting part of this new arrival, however, was Valerre's reaction. He looked the very slightest bit guilty that she had come, and at the same time, he looked more relaxed. Whatever he had said before, he was an interesting person to observe, even if Delve never wanted to have to talk to him again.

#69 Daphne

• Rebel

House Fathvell
  • Age28

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:51 PM

Daphne smiled warmly. "A real difference you will make then," she responded, already making plans for who Wilor could help and how he could help them. She would have to be there, of course, and she couldn't expose anyone too vulnerable, at least not yet. First, she needed proof he could be trusted.

"I have a time and place in mind," she said as she finalized her plans and mentally checked her schedule. "Though, I suppose both are subject to change. We have to be adaptable, after all." Behind her, Valerre remained silent. Daphne didn't know if she should feel relieved he wasn't making things worse, or worried he was busy hating himself.

"What about you, Devin?" she asked, turning towards the younger, smaller man. There was something about him that seemed off, but Daphne couldn't quite place it. "Would you like to help as well? I'm certain I could find something for both of you to do, without too much trouble."

Posted Image
Posted Image

#70 Delve

Posse Member
  • Age25

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:14 PM

Delve was a little taken aback, and shook her head slowly. She wasn't sure how to nicely phrase a refusal like this. "I apologize, but I'm not exactly the rebel type." She said, hoping that the woman wouldn't ask to many questions. "I hate to refuse a lady such as yourself, but I've been part of a crew for years, and it would be to difficult for me to try to help." The lie was easy, but Delve wasn't sure if it had come across correctly. She was worried.

Edited by MozytheHealer, 09 October 2013 - 05:14 PM.

#71 Wilor Zerrung

• Age22

• OriginTremredare

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:20 PM

"When and where? If I can, I will be there. Are you positive, Devin? I can see us now, changing the world, nobleman and skaa working together," Wilor joked. He was much more at ease now that Daphne seemed willing to help. His eyes flashed down the alley to make sure the skaa that moved was just rolling in his sleep.

Valerre had been strangely quiet since Daphne showed up. Maybe she's his boss?

Edited by Mailliw73, 09 October 2013 - 09:21 PM.

Wilor

#72 Delve

Posse Member
  • Age25

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:22 PM

Delve raised an eyebrow at Wilor. Had he not payed attention when she was telling him how the rebels were doomed? She rolled her eyes slightly and didn't respond. She could explain again later. For now, she just needed him to get it over with so that they could leave.

Her eyes followed Wilor's when he glanced around. What had he seen? Was someone listening in? This really wasn't the safest place to have this kind of conversation.

#73 Daphne

• Rebel

House Fathvell
  • Age28

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:40 AM

Daphne had seen the apathy she saw now in Devin too many times in the skaa around her. They thought that the problems of their people were just too big to even think about changing, and that if they couldn't find anyways to make a difference and make things better, they might as well at least look out for themselves. The view had merit, and Daphne sometimes had to resist succumbing to it herself. She had contacts, and some money saved away. She knew how to survive in the underground of any city. She could take Valerre with her and run, and perhaps even make a real life for herself. She could be free.

Except she wouldn't be free, not really, no matter how far she ran. She could never be free as long as there were people in the world who denied her humanity. She could never live happily until she was acknowledged as a person, entitled to the common decency owed to any man or woman. And no matter how he protested, or how many times he rolled his eyes at the sentiments of others, Devin would not be free either. And neither will Valerre, she reminded herself, thinking of her friends temperament and preoccupation with himself. Valerre's demons, however, were a task for another day.

"I assure you Devin that what I have in mind will not be too much of a drain on your time. You should still be able to meet your other commitments and keep afloat. You won't have to do anything dangerous, or make any commitments if you don't want to. All I'd be asking of you is a little of your time." Daphne gave Devin a small, encouraging smile, hoping to bring him out of his shell a little, while at the same time giving herself a chance to study him. There was still something off about him that Daphne could not quite place.

"Now for a time," she continued, turning to Wilor before Devin could answer. She wanted to give Devin time to think before he responded, since his default answer would still be 'no'. "How does tomorrow work for you? I'm usually busy during the night, so perhaps in the afternoon? We can meet by the docks."

Posted Image
Posted Image

#74 Wilor Zerrung

• Age22

• OriginTremredare

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:39 PM

Wilor liked that Daphne already had a time and place for him to help. She's a quick thinker. He wasn't sure if Daphne would be able to convince Devin to help out or not. He didn't think so, but she had been willing to lead Wilor here in the first place.

"I have business in the industrial district I have to take care of tomorrow. I should be done by, let's see, probably an hour or so after noon. It's not too far from the docks, so I should be able to be there, not long after. I won't be able to change out of my regular attire, so we'll need sonewhere secluded or somewhere for me to change. Does that work?" Wilor asked Daphne.

Wilor was planning how to get there in broad daylight without being suspicious. Maybe I'll tell the driver to drop me at the docks for some more business. Or maybe I can get Sevk to be my driver. He won't ask questions or tell anyone.

Edited by Mailliw73, 22 October 2013 - 02:40 PM.

Wilor

#75 Valerre

• Rebel

House Fathvell
  • Age22

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:13 AM

Daphne nodded, said the time would work, and proceeded to give Wilor other pertinent details regarding the place they would meet, the importance of being non-descript, and other things that Valerre didn't really care about. His attention, no longer focused on Daphne, was occupied by Devin, who seemed to be trying to avoid notice. He hadn't made any attempt to answer Daphne, when she had asked if he was in or out. She'd only asked for a little of his time, but Devin seemed to be avoiding giving even that. Daphne seemed content to let things lie, but Valerre felt like watching the quiet and cautious man squirm.

"And you, Devin," he said as Daphne finished her list of instructions. As he spoke, he focused on his own guilt, for being a fool and needing Daphne to rescue him, and all the other reasons he had to feel guilty. As he focused on those feelings, he burned zinc and targeted Devin, hoping to make him feel the same. "Will you be there to help as well?"

#76 Delve

Posse Member
  • Age25

Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:30 AM

Guilt. Why guilt? Delve tried her best to never feel guilty. It was a weakness. She didn't even care about this rebellion of theirs. Nonetheless, she felt guilty about refusing to help them. It took a lot more than guilt to make her agree to something she didn't want to do, but it couldn't hurt to just do whatever the one small thing was that they needed from her. As long as she didn't let herself get to attached, it would be fine.

"It depends on what you need help with." Delve said, after a small moment of deliberation. She really didn't want to get herself in to far. She did need to find a new crew, and now she had someone else to think about that was more important than some rebellion that was destined to fail.

#77 Wilor Zerrung

• Age22

• OriginTremredare

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:12 PM

As Daphne gave Wilor his instructions for the meeting place, he was excited to finally make a difference in the world. So much of what we do as nobles isn't beneficial to anyone and yet we think it is the most important cause in the world.

"That all sounds great. I'll meet you there tomorrow about an hour and a half after noon, then?" Wilor confirmed with Daphne. Devin had been strangely quiet. Wilor was about to ask one more time if she was sure she didn't want to help when Valerre chimed in.

Wilor waited to see what Daphne's or Valerre's response would be.

Wilor

#78 Daphne

• Rebel

House Fathvell
  • Age28

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:22 AM

Daphne smiled warmly, hoping to assure Devin of her intentions. There was still something off about the young man, though she could not quite put her finger on it. He did seem horribly young, however, and Daphne could imagine all to well what could have happened in his past to make teach him such suspicion and caution at an early age.

"It won't be anything difficult or dangerous, I promise. We rebels can't put such missions in the hands of new recruits anyways. But," she added quickly for Wilor's sake, "it is still very important, and we could use all the willing hands we can get. Isn't that right, Valerre? I assume you will be joining us?" Daphne felt bad about putting him on the spot, but she also felt he deserved it for doing the same to Devin only moments ago. Honestly, she was lucky no one had fled.

"Fine," Valerre grumbled. "Whatever. I'm going to bed." Daphne watched her friend stalk off towards the brothel. She would have to check in on him later, and see what she could do about his foul mood. She would have to get around to teaching him to pick himself up one of these days, as she wouldn't be around forever, and he would never learn if she always did the work of cheering Valerre up for him. But how? Daphne found she did not know, and was frightened of the day when she would have to find an answer.

"Tomorrow at noon then?" she asked, turning back to the pair. "I hope to see you both then!"

Posted Image
Posted Image

#79 Delve

Posse Member
  • Age25

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:00 AM

They were really trying. Delve had to give them that. It didn't mean that she was going to be happy about helping. She tried her best to be polite in declining, but the guilt nagged at her. She hated it. She talked herself into accepting, but it was reluctant.

"I couldn't say no to a lady." She said, already trying to figure out how to get out of this. The guilt was still there, and she didn't want to give them a reason to think that she might be a threat. Best help them now and then get the hell out of there. "I might not be able to get away from the crew without suspicion, though. I'm already taking a risk tonight."

#80 Wilor Zerrung

• Age22

• OriginTremredare

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:50 AM

"I might be a bit late, as I have business, but I'll be there by an hour after for sure," Wilor noticed again the difference between the talk at the ball earlier that night and this sincere conversation that had meaning. "I'm excited to help you guys."

Wilor was surprised that Devin hadn't rejected the offer to help and left already. The fact that she was going to try showed a lot about her. Maybe he had been wrong in his earlier judgements of her. I need to figure out how to get away from my driver tomorrow. That'll be the most difficult part. Aside from making sure I'm not recognized.

Wilor

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users