The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Meeting with Rebels

Ask W2 D4 LN

79 replies to this topic

#41 Delve

Posse Member
  • Age25

• Relationship StatusSingle

• OriginNorthern Plantation

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:39 PM

"Bread-man's new to Luthadel and was interested in some of the more...interesting parts of the slums." Delve lied easily. Despite what she had said earlier, she didn't feel comfortable telling the whole truth. She didn't trust Wilor to be careful enough. "He said that he met some people on the way who told him about the brothel."

#42 Wilor Zerrung

• Noble Lurcher, fighting for Skaa

Riordan Casuana's Reputation
  • Age22

• OriginTremredare

• Allomantic StatusRumored

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:57 PM

She's too cautious. If we don't reveal anything, we won't learn anything. I guess I'll have to be more blunt, whether Devin likes it or not.

"Yes, Valerre, I'm new and would like to know how to help with some discreet plans. You know what plans I mean, so don't ask what. Our faithful leader isn't doing such a great job and I want to help," Wilor bluntly stated. He couldn't be too obvious or others near them would hear of the rebellion, but he wasn't going to sit around and banter all night.

He hasn't mentioned anything about my iron-burning. Does that mean he's not a Seeker or that he's just discreet and isn't going to ask?

Wilor

--Wilor Zerrung, der Abzieher

#43 Valerre

• Rebel

House Raisaal
  • Age22

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusHidden

Posted 27 September 2013 - 03:22 PM

"Hmmmm, discreet plans? Don't think I know anything about any of those. If you haven't noticed, I'm not exactly the discreet type." Valerre shrugged to show his helplessness. "After all, would a discreet person agree to chat with complete strangers over drinks before first determining whether or not they were spies? I think not. I'd be more likely to say indiscretions are more within my realm of expertise."

Valerre did not actually think the man was a spy. For starters, he did not seem to be nearly smart enough to be a spy. Valerre supposed the blunt and dim thing could be an act meant to gain his trust, but it all seemed rather clumsy in execution. Well, he thought, As a well-behaved rebel, I suppose I had best make certain he is not up to no good before inducting him into the ranks.

"I do apologize if I am not living up to your expectations," he continued, "Unlike you two, I fear I may be dumber than I look."

#44 Delve

Posse Member
  • Age25

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:44 PM

Delve thought that was pretty obvious, but didn't say so. What kind of idiot would act like he did? Unless, of course, it was an act. That was always a possibility. However, this was turning into a waste of her time. At first she had been interested to see how bread-man would hold against the rebellion, but now it was just boring.

"You don't have to be smart to know how to keep secrets." She said, arching her eyebrow and rolling her eyes.

#45 Wilor Zerrung

• Age22

• OriginTremredare

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:57 PM

He's so open about everything, there's no way he'd be a Seeker and not say anything. Wilor was stuck on the fact that Valerre might be an Allomancer. He noticed small changes in his emotions, when he really paid attention and narrowed it down to a Soother or a Rioter.

"I'm sick of secrets. That's all the nobles do and no skaa shares anything of importance, they keep everything to themselves. You two are some of the most honest people I've met in my life. I know you're both still not sharing everything and neither am I but I'm not going to dodge the truth forever. Valerre, are you sure this bar is a good place to discuss these things?" Wilor was fed up with dodging answers. His own father, brother and just about everyone he met at balls did just that.

Wilor

#46 Delve

Posse Member
  • Age25

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:03 PM

Lord Ruler, this man was thick! Had he not heeded any of Delve's warnings to not mention that he was a noble? "You need to stop talking now, bread-man." She muttered to him angrily. "Much as it would be interesting to see you killed by Valerre, I don't need him thinking that I'm with you."

Edited by MozytheHealer, 27 September 2013 - 07:03 PM.

#47 Wilor Zerrung

• Age22

• OriginTremredare

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:55 AM

"I don't think he'd kill me. I'm far too interesting to be killed. Right, Valerre? You're probably right though, I should stop talking. For now, at least," Wilor realized he had sort of lost his temper. He decided to be much quieter until he decided it was safe and they wouldn't be overheard.

Wilor

#48 Valerre

• Rebel

House Raisaal
  • Age22

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:12 PM

Valerre was disappointed. It didn't seem like either of them had caught on to the fact that he was making fun of them. Unless, of course, they had, and they simply wanted Valerre's information so badly they were playing nice.

Although, they weren't really playing nice, were they? Not with Valerre anyways, and not with each other either. Now that's interesting, he thought. It would seem, from 'Bread-man's' comment, and grumpy skaa boy's reaction, that 'Bread-man' was really a noble. It made sense, Valerre supposed. He was easy with his money, and the mask was far too eccentric for any skaa to wear.

Slowly, as he spoke, Valerre burned zinc again and focused on his frustration with both of them, seeking to bring out a similar state in them as well. They already seemed to be getting frustrated with each other, so as long as he fanned the flames slowly, it should be difficult for them to notice him. Maybe, if he was careful, they would start fighting or something.

"My dear fellow, a place with drink is the best place to discuss anything. There is drink there. As for how interesting you are, I really can't say. I've only just met you after all, and we've already established may painful lack of perception." Valerre sighed out loud, dramatically. "But, I can see your grumpy companion's temper has infected you as well. It seems to me that you to would be better off heading to bed than out for a wondrous night of adventure on the town. I don't think either of you would be any fun at all."

Valerre began to stretch languidly, both to show his boredom and to get ready in case he needed to make a quick escape. "But, before you go, you want those precious answers you seem certain I have, even though I have given you little cause to come to that assumption," Valerre started, keeping his tone easy and light, but letting a bit of his inner darkness creep into the undertones of his voice. "For all you know, this is part of a clever trap to rob you both, and I've merely been stalling while my comrades surround you." Valerre straitened, a bright smile on his face. "Of course, that would be preposterous. I am far too silly to be a bandit you see."

"But 'Bread-man' wants his answers, so I suppose I must oblige. Although . . ." Valerre widened his eyes in mock surprise, as he continued to burn zinc, "Really, I have no obligation to tell you anything at all, when you, oh hater of secrets, have failed to tell me anything about yourself."

Vallere turned his head to the side, easing a slight crick out of his neck. "I would prefer, of course, to hear all about your undoubtedly boring life over a strong glass of something that would make me forget ever speaking with either of you. However, I am an accommodating man, so I suppose it could be just as easy to chat here."

#49 Wilor Zerrung

• Age22

• OriginTremredare

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:43 PM

Wilor immediately tensed, flaring iron, as he looked around furtively, watching for any signs of movement from Valerre's supposed comrades. He wasn't sure if Valerre was really joking about them or if he just wanted them to think that.

"Here it is then," Wilor decided, not observing anyone in the area. He stopped abruptly, wanting to stay somewhere he knew there was no one else. He gently Pulled on Valerre's belt buckle, causing him to slow down and stop as well. "You help me, I'll show you who I am."

Wilor was ready for answers and, if Valerre and the rebellion were willing to let him help, he would reveal himself and his Allomantic ability. If they help me, I owe them something.

Edited by Mailliw73, 28 September 2013 - 01:44 PM.

Wilor

#50 Delve

Posse Member
  • Age25

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:43 PM

Delve's frustration was greater than her curiosity now. She didn't like how on edge this man made her. One person shouldn't be able to make her this uncomfortable. She took a small step back and glanced at bread-man. He was taking to many risks and was going to attract attention. She needed to get out of there.

On the other hand, the amount of emotion she felt about this conversation scared Delve. She wanted to know why. Maybe she'd be able to find out if she stayed. It was a hard decision, so she stayed. She kept a close eye on both of them and kept a hand on her knife. It would be so easy to rob the noble right now. He was so preoccupied and all she'd have to do was knife him. She doubted Valerre would mind. Death and betrayal was normal in the underground. She didn't enjoying killing people when there was company. It was tempting. It would be one less noble, and though that wasn't much, she'd get money out of it, and a nice set of clothes.

Having weighed her options, she decided that the minute Valerre was gone and bread-man was relaxed, she could knife him. That way the only set of clothes she'd be ruining was already stained. Even if she didn't want to keep the noble suit, she could sell it.

#51 Valerre

• Rebel

House Raisaal
  • Age22

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:17 PM

Valerre was stopped in his tracks by a slight pull on his belt buckle. An allomancer! His eyes widened, realizing the danger he might be in. However, after a moment of tension, he relaxed, laughing at himself as he turned around. What was he afraid of? Death? Hardly.

"Well now," he said, his tone confident and untroubled. Again, he let a little bit of darkness creep into his voice, tinging it with danger. "Someone just got interesting."

Valerre smiled, and advanced slowly towards the duo. "I'd be careful though, about making demands like that. They might lead a man to think you are desperate. And desperate people are far too easy to take advantage of." Valerre stared right into 'Bread-man's' eyes, hoping to force his point home. "Let me break it down for you, 'Bread-man'. You want information so badly, try taking a leap of faith. If you realize what you are asking me, you'll know what kind of risk it represents. Let's see you take a risk. Take of the mask, tell me your name, then maybe we can see if I have anything useful in this useless head of mine."

#52 Wilor Zerrung

• Age22

• OriginTremredare

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:01 PM

Now we're getting somewhere. Wilor was nervous about revealing his identity but he knew he wouldn't get any information otherwise.

"Done and done. On one condition, your word doesn't mean anything to me, but I give you my word that if you don't tell me anything or betray me, I will kill you and I know where your base is. Trust me, I can make it there faster than you can. Devin, if your knife moves at all, I will Pull it and gut you with it. Sorry to be brutal, but that's how this world is. I hope I don't have to make good on my promises," Wilor wasn't taking any chances. He would kill them if they moved for him.

"You accept my conditions? Here goes," Wilor removed his mask, keeping his iron burning and watching the lines leading to Devin and Valerre. "My name is Wilor Zerrung."

Edited by Mailliw73, 01 October 2013 - 05:01 PM.

Wilor

#53 Delve

Posse Member
  • Age25

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:26 PM

Delve frowned ever-so-slightly at the threat. She didn't like being threatened, especially by nobles. Zerrung, however, was not a house she had thought to be harboring a noble rebel. They were high up and, from what she had heard, were one of the most uptight houses about the Skaa and lower nobles. She had thought that Wilor would be from some inconsequential house.

Luckily, he had underestimated her on more than one point. There were more ways to kill a man than stabbing him, they were just messier. She didn't like them. But that didn't matter right now. She would have plenty of time to plan. Now she just needed to decide what to do with the fact that a member of House Zerrung was a rebel. She could probably sell it, if she wanted to. "House Zerrung? I have to admit, you've successfully surprised me, bread-man. I was expecting you to be from one that was...stronger." She said with a small sneer in her voice.

#54 Valerre

• Rebel

House Raisaal
  • Age22

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:51 PM

Wilor Zerrung. Valerre was not familiar with the house, but the surname meant Wilor was noble. True, Valerre supposed the man could be lying, but everything about his bearing screamed nobility, making the surname far more likely to be legitimate. He's either the best actor I've seen in a while, or an honest fool. Valerre was guessing honest fool, which left him in something of a predicament.

He wasn't of course, technically qualified to give away anything about the rebellion, and if this man was an allomancer of the physical variety, Valerre was not certain of his ability to escape him, especially while wearing metal. A pull meant he was a lurcher, or a mistborn. Valerre hoped it was the former option, because if he had led a full mistborn to the brothel, he wasn't the only one who would be in big trouble. While the rebellion had a mistborn of its own, said mistborn was likely busy sabotaging one great house or another at the moment, and likely couldn't be troubled to save Valerre.

"A noble eh?" Valerre said, trying his best to remain nonchalant. "What has you griping against our benevolent God-King, hmmm? Was your silver spoon a few sizes too small?" Valerre held up his hands, showing he meant no trouble. "I would also appreciate it if you weren't so quick to assume I accept your conditions before binding me to an agreement which might end with me dead."

#55 Wilor Zerrung

• Age22

• OriginTremredare

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:15 PM

"Just don't reveal this to anyone but trusted rebel members and you'll be just fine," Wilor said. "You. You're what got me wanting to change things. I have a skaa steward and he is more like my father than my father ever was. I don't comprehend why he should be treated lower than me just from his parentage." Wilor tapped his knuckles his customary three times. "Devin, I have more food where those loaves came from if, and only if, you never reveal this to anyone. If it leaks out, you can be sure I'll hunt you day and night. If not, then you get much more food and hopefully, a change in leadership."

"So, how about it Valerre? Are you going to tell me about the rebellion? I'll let you decide to agree or not on the next agreement."

Wilor

#56 Delve

Posse Member
  • Age25

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:21 PM

A change in leadership? Who did this kid think he was, some kind of superhero? Besides, he'd never find her. Delve knew the Luthadel slums better than he did. "You don't have to worry about me, bread-man. I'm not an informant." She said, sounding irritated that he would think such a thing. She didn't care about the food as much. Regular meals scared her. "And I wouldn't give up such a steady source of food."

#57 Valerre

• Rebel

House Raisaal
  • Age22

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:20 AM

Valerre snorted. "Save me your blind altruism and false assumptions. So you knew one kind skaa, and now you think you know us all, is that it? I hate to break it to you, but skaa and noble, we really are all the same. Just a bunch of screaming infants crawling all over each other trying to get out of the ash and into the sun. You say you want to run off and join the rebellion because of me, but you don't know me. For all you know, I'm as awful as the father you seem to hate so much. Who knows, perhaps I'm even worse." Valerre grew quiet, startled by his vehemence and show of passion. Where in the world had that come from? Perhaps I just don't like being told what I'm like by someone who knows nothing.

Looking down, Valerre continued speaking, this time in a lower voice. "If you are looking for heroics and fairy tale ideals, I'd stick to the story books. All you are going to find with a bunch of rebels is more of the same." Valerre laughed, but this time, it was a hollow sound, devoid of any mirth. "The sad thing is, you still have nothing but your own misguided assumptions that I have anything to do with your stupid rebellion. For all you know, I'm just a common whore from the brothel, looking for work."

#58 Wilor Zerrung

• Age22

• OriginTremredare

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:24 AM

Wilor wasn't quite sure about Devin yet. The way she had so casually lied to Valerre made him suspicious. He decided he'd still have to keep a eye on her.

"I doubt every skaa is the same as every noble. If they were, they wouldn't have any differences. Even if that's true and they all are awful, they should at least be equal," Wilor sensed the sadness in Valerre's voice. Wilor tapped his knives three times. "I highly doubt you are a common whore. You have much too nice of clothes and Allomancers don't tend to take those kinds of jobs. They're in too high of demand." Wilor hoped to throw Valerre off with his assumption that Valerre was an Allomancer.

Edited by Mailliw73, 02 October 2013 - 02:30 PM.

Wilor

#59 Valerre

• Rebel

House Raisaal
  • Age22

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:49 PM

He knows about my allomancy. Interesting. "It is clear you know nothing then, about what kinds of jobs a skaa might take. You are right, of course, with my style and looks I could never be a common whore, so I applaud you for your powers of observation, but that does not mean I can't be a fancy one." Valerre smiled, showing his teeth while doing his best to play things cool. So what if a noble knew he was an allomancer, and knew where to find him? The rebellion could take care of him, couldn't they?

For the first time since their first encounter, Valerre was beginning to wonder if he had gotten in way over his head.

"So I get it, you're a nice noble, but what does that mean to me? I'll bet the ministry has got all kinds of 'nice nobles' just waiting to be my friend. How do I know you aren't one of them?"

#60 Wilor Zerrung

• Age22

• OriginTremredare

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:38 PM

He didn't say anything about the fact that I discovered his Allomancy. Is he just trying to cover it up?

"I showed you my face and name. I gave you my trust," and a threat. Wilor replied. "You've got to be able to help me, or, if you're not high enough up to reveal secrets, have a friend that will help me. If I was a Ministry lapdog, I already know your hideout and Allomantic ability, why wouldn't I kill you right now? I could go report you to the Ministry now though, if you decide not to help me."

We're an option, too. Wilor's knives responded. Always.

Edited by Mailliw73, 02 October 2013 - 02:38 PM.

Wilor

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users