The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

(Un)Desirable Company

Closed W2 D3 HN Lucille Deveaux Adolphus Lekal Gervais Lekal

14 replies to this topic

#1 Lucille Deveaux

Lord Prelan
  • Age17

• Relationship StatusSingle

• OriginUrteau

• Allomantic StatusOpen

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:23 PM

Luci's lunch with Damien had gone quite well, despite his mood souring a little bit after the meeting with Lady Tamsin. had took a bit of pressing, but Damien finally revealed the way Daerra had attempted to manipulate him at the Casuana ball, and how Lady Tamsin's teasing had reminded him of that. He felt badly for reacting the way he had, and planned to write a letter of apology when he got back to Keep Deveaux. After that matter was settled, they had had quite the pleasant visit, and Luci had decided to wander about for a little while longer and get some fresh air. Damien had resisted at first, but eventually he agreed to let her out of the carriage at Ahlstrom Square and then send it back so she could take her leave when she wished.

The coachman might find himself waiting for a while, though; the day was beautiful, the ash wasn't falling, and Lucille had a brand-new book to read and a bench in the square entirely to herself.

In short, it was looking to be a very good day.

Posted Image

#2 Adolphus Lekal

Tineye
  • Age19

• OriginSouthern Dominance

• Allomantic StatusKnown

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:20 PM

Adolphus had not been as social as he would have liked upon arriving in Luthadel. He made the rounds and introduced himself to as many of the ladies as he could, but it didn't seem enough. Perhaps his small-town charm was not enough to woo the women the way he had done with vapid Southern girls. The city girls were just not swooning the way he'd like them to. He just needed to try harder. Maybe asking women to play Hide and Seek with him wasn't the best way to start conversations.

As he pondered the best way to approach young noble ladies of Luthadel, he walked around Luthadel, finding himself wandering Ahlstrom Square. He saw a few people on his way in, but this close to lunch, he was surprised to find anyone else in the square itself. This would be the perfect opportunity to test his new theories.

He had seen this particular noblewoman before, but had yet to be introduced formally... and what a shame, she looked so bored reading. Adolphus would save her, he decided.

He walked past where Lucille was sitting, and stopped just after passing her, as if he had caught sight of the title of her book and paused to ask her about it. He turned around and cleared his throat. "I do apologize, but may I ask what you're reading?" he asked... but without waiting for an answer, he continued on -- he didn't care about the book in her hands, only getting it out.

"Forgive me, where are my manners? I am Adolphus Lekal." He said with a bow. "I don't believe we have been introduced."

#3 Lucille Deveaux

Lord Prelan
  • Age17

• OriginUrteau

• Allomantic StatusOpen

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:30 PM

As Lord Adolphus Lekal made his introductions, Damien's voice ran through Lucille's head:

Remember, Lucille. A boy who makes conversation by asking what you're reading might not always want to talk about reading, but a boy who asks and then doesn't give you a chance to answer definitely isn't interested in actually talking about the book.

Luci suppressed a sigh. Barely over a week in Luthadel, and she'd met one of those already? Well, at least she was reading something that should probably scare him off.

"A pleasure indeed, Lord Adolphus," she said sweetly, looking up from the book long enough to flash him a polite smile. Something friendly, but not overly indicative of interest. "I'm Lucille Deveaux. In answer to your earlier question, I'm reading a treatise on the Crescent Rebellion of 378 and how it ultimately shaped the doctrine reform of the late seventh century. It's quite fascinating."

Posted Image

#4 Adolphus Lekal

Tineye
  • Age19

• Allomantic StatusKnown

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:01 PM

That book sounded bland... possibly more bland than any of the books he was ever forced to read by his tutors. She obviously was just waiting for someone to come talk to her so she could be rescued from the dry, boring, musty old book. Adolphus was sure it was old. It must be. Were people still writing such horrible, boring books?

"That... sounds like something my cousin Gervais would read," he said chuckling. "He always has his nose in a book... although I think that is mostly so he doesn't have to listen to what I'm saying. He does quite like to pretend I don't exist..." Adolphus obviously loved the sound of his own voice.

#5 Lucille Deveaux

Lord Prelan
  • Age17

• OriginUrteau

• Allomantic StatusOpen

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:09 PM

"I wonder why?" Luci mused vaguely. She was honestly tempted to do the same thing; she didn't want to be rude, but this Lord Adolphus obviously loved being the center of attention. If she gave so much as an inch, she was increasingly certain that he would take the whole plantation. So of course, the natural course of action here was to continue to talk about the book - or really, anything other than Adolphus himself.

"I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Lord Gervais has read this," she continued thoughtfully, "though I can't imagine him being very fond of it. The excerpts from period texts are by far the most interesting part of the book; Anstell himself tends to ramble far more than I can imagine Lord Gervais having the patience for. Honestly, it's a bit much even for me, but the content certainly makes up for it for the most part."

Posted Image

#6 Gervais Lekal

• A monkey's uncle

Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age36

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusHidden

Posted 28 December 2013 - 06:44 AM

Gervais did not notice the two immediately. They were simply one more pair of fools in the crowd of fools that inevitably filled Ahlstrom Square, of no more interest than any others. Not until his eyes passed over them a second time did he recognize that particular shade of chestnut brown hair. There were other women with that color of hair. They existed. However, he knew with an absolute certainty, without a shadow of a doubt that it was the creature, the one that kept coming into his path, that had started following him now back to his home. Gervais' eyes narrowed and his instinctive reaction was to turn and go the other way, and avoid her.

Then he saw the man who was speaking to her and recognized him with a flare of distaste. Adolphus Lekal was his cousin, a prig of the first water and utterly insufferable. What did he have to do with the creature? What was his business with her? An instant sense of vague, indefinable suspicion rose over him and his steps turned against his previous judgement. Gervais did not know what he was suspecting Adolphus of, merely of something; his antipathy towards the boy rose as he came closer and observed the little smile on his cousin's face. Perhaps they were in some sort of collusion. Adolphus had forearmed the creature about his whereabouts and that was why she kept cropping up. He had brought her to Keep Lekal.

He found as he reached the park bench that he did not have a battle plan, however. That hesitation gave him the time to overhear what they were talking about, as neither had noticed he was there yet. He heard his own name, and his eyes narrowed; they were, apparently, discussing his supposed reading habits. What was his abhorrent cousin saying to prompt this? "Why if it isn't my dear cousin Dolph," he sneered to interrupt their speculations. "Discussing books? Are you even capable of reading?"

#7 Adolphus Lekal

Tineye
  • Age19

• Allomantic StatusKnown

Posted 29 December 2013 - 05:39 PM

It was as if saying his name summoned him from the keep, and brought him to Ahlstrom Square to plague Adolphus right when he was making progress with the only noble in Luthadel that didn’t abhor his presence. And that was pushing it. Their conversation had been short, but at least Lucille didn’t treat him the way that other noble women had so far -- which was with disdain, or by ignoring his entire existence.

He had been about to ask her how she knew his cousin’s reading preferences when Gervais showed up, unannounced and unwelcome in this conversation. His eyes narrowed. Even though he didn’t want his cousin interrupting things, Gervais was still his favorite relative.

“Yes, we were having a civilized conversation, dear cousin. No need to interrupt it with your famous wit.” Adolphus said. He was hoping that Gervais would take the hint and leave even if it was unlikely. Gervais was smart enough to know that Adolphus meant to get rid of him, and because Adolphus knew his cousin so well… he had no hope that Gervais would actually listen.

#8 Lucille Deveaux

Lord Prelan
  • Age17

• OriginUrteau

• Allomantic StatusOpen

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:17 PM

Speak of the Mistwraith, Luci thought wryly, and he appears. She had just mentioned Lord Gervais, and there he was, as though he had been summoned. And he did not look happy about any of this. But then again, was he ever happy about anything? Luci was beginning to think not.

Well, all the more reason to be especially cheerful and friendly. Few weapons - or defenses - were more effective than a smile where there shouldn't be one, and she would not let herself be bested again. Not by Gervais, not by any bullies, and certainly not by the combined efforts of a bully and an oily flirt.

"Don't be silly, Lord Adolphus," Luci said with a friendly smile. "I always welcome Lord Gervais's scholarly opinion." She nodded politely to the older man, as if she were greeting an old friend. "It's quite refreshing to meet somebody as well read as he, don't you think?

"I do apologize for foregoing a proper introduction, my Lord," she continued in her usual pleasant manner, "But you left your folder in the Library. I didn't know when I might run into you again, so I asked your name of the obligators. You would do much the same if you found something of mine had been left in your possession, would you not?"

Posted Image

#9 Gervais Lekal

• A monkey's uncle

Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age36

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 31 December 2013 - 05:51 AM

"I'm devastated to interrupt of course." Gervais planted himself solidly at the edge of the park bench, cane thunking down into the pavement and his hand tightening on the knob. His hostility was divided between the two; he was not sure which one he detested the most just then. For the moment when his eyes met Adolphus', saw the frustration there, and comprehended all at once that this was one of the boy's routine flirtations, his eyes snapped absolute venom at his cousin. Adolphus disgusted him. They all did, every noble in Luthadel with their repulsive games of dalliance and lechery. He was going to destroy any hopes Adolphus might possibly entertain here. The boy wasn't even intellectually capable of speaking to the creature...it wouldn't be hard.

Then the creature spoke and his eyes were pulled back to her. Gervais saw right through her pleasant little smile, of course, and her words to the meaning underneath. He'd known she had done it only to get to him, to show that she could. She couldn't possibly know how it had affected him could she? Or had she seen somehow and calculated it? How much was by design and how much by accident? That she brought it up at all said she knew!

"As a matter of fact I threw your manuscript in the canal," he informed the creature, "where it belongs, among the rest of the refuse and human waste from the city." He did not know why he had not done that. The manuscript had...some value perhaps...and yet why should he count that in his decision! He should have thrown it away, he should do it immediately after this conversation was ended.

Edited by Borborygmus, 31 December 2013 - 05:52 AM.

#10 Lucille Deveaux

Lord Prelan
  • Age17

• OriginUrteau

• Allomantic StatusOpen

Posted 31 December 2013 - 06:42 AM

Possibilities raced through Luci's mind faster than Damien flew through the mists. She was finding herself working harder and harder to turn this man's bullying on its head, to turn it around to her favor, but she couldn't give up. There was something there, something on the edge of thought that--

Waaaaait a minute. He'd spent so long annotating it for me, a small voice said from the back of her mind. That would mean that he'd put a great deal of thought into his arguments, if only to find every tiny little chink and flaw he could possibly uncover. But if he thought that the papers belonged with human waste, then-- oh, this was just too perfect.

Luci allowed herself a small gasp, her eyes going wide with feigned shock.

"Why, Lord Gervais," she breathed, "I cannot believe you would do such a thing! And after you spent so long annotating it for me! Really, my Lord, you mustn't think so poorly of all your hard work; it's too good for such treatment, I'll have you know, and I simply won't stand for it."

She sighed mournfully. "I suppose all there is to it is to bring you another copy then," she declared, "and have you dictate your annotations to me so that I can review them before you have another chance to do something so wasteful."

Edited by KChan, 31 December 2013 - 07:03 AM.

Posted Image

#11 Adolphus Lekal

Tineye
  • Age19

• Allomantic StatusKnown

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:27 PM

Gervais just couldn't take a hint (or didn’t want to), but the more he listened to them, the more he realised that the two had definitely met before. They had spent time together probably not very much, and Lucille was actually clever... Which meant Adolphus’ pick up lines were bound to fail. He had no hope in courting yet another of Luthadel's eligible women. That was not half as disappointing as it should be, if only because he was amused that Gervais would bother making fun of a girl practically half his age. What could he possibly hope to gain by making fun of such a girl?

For Gervais, Adolphus assumed, there was nothing half so fun as making people feel stupid. Adolphus looked up to Gervais in some ways, but this was definitely not one of them. He didn’t know what pleasure could possibly be had out of being rotten to everyone… but that was just another thing he could potentially learn from Gervais. Adolphus would never say it aloud, but he was very fond of his cousin. Looked up to him as almost an older brother -- or the father he wished he had.

For all of his attempts, Adolphus could think of naught to say. He had no idea where to even begin. He wanted to laugh at their banter, but he thought better of it. Gervais would just use that as ammunition, but then again so would he use a silence.

“How did my cousin come into possession of your manuscript?” Adolphus asked, genuinely confused. Gervais had not addressed Lucille by name, so they hadn’t been formally introduced, he was almost certain… He just wanted to know the nature of their acquaintance, and perhaps that would offer some kind of insight.

If not, it would offer scorn from his cousin. That seemed to be the only thing he received from his cousin at any rate, so it wouldn’t be a new sensation for him.

#12 Gervais Lekal

• A monkey's uncle

Nessa's Baywrap
  • Age36

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:19 AM

She didn't so much as flinch. The little gasp and wide eyes were false, Gervais knew, and it had fallen short of the mark. He didn't have a way in yet, attacking her work was the only thing that had even briefly seemed to unsettle her and currently it was unsuccessful. His mouth pinched thin, and thinner still when she fired his insult right back at him. "Assuredly I regret having ever written them," he retorted, "if I could have the time back I would. I do not wish to see another copy of your trash. I suggest that you burn it instead."

He leveled his contempt on his cousin next, "I had the misfortune to find it in the library, I am sure you have never set foot in the place. My poor Dolph, I suggest you discontinue feigning interest in these matters. Your illiteracy means that your flirtation is hopeless from the start, let me do you the great favour of preserving you from further embarrassment."

Edited by Borborygmus, 05 January 2014 - 04:21 AM.

#13 Adolphus Lekal

Tineye
  • Age19

• Allomantic StatusKnown

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:59 AM

"I am quite sure I haven't," Adolphus said. but if I could find noblewomen in them, I would certainly go there more often. Gervais was just trying to anger him, that much Adolphus knew... but Adolphus had given up shame and embarrassment a long time ago. There was nothing that Gervais could say to him that Adolphus didn't feel himself already.

"But I am quite interested in this matter, honestly. I don't have to like reading books to have interest in making friends with people who write them," Adolphus said, trying to seem unflustered by his cousin's attempt to annoy and embarrass him.

#14 Lucille Deveaux

Lord Prelan
  • Age17

• OriginUrteau

• Allomantic StatusOpen

Posted 05 January 2014 - 05:22 AM

Lucille frowned. First this Adolphus Lekal presumed to foist his unwanted flirtations upon her, and then he freely admitted that he hadn't the slightest interest in the things she cared about? Somehow, against all odds, he had managed to accomplish what she wouldn't dare allow Gervais to do: he'd got under her skin.

The feeling was blessedly temporary; she'd dealt with his type before, to the point that handling them was more tiring than aggravating. And besides, she didn't want Gervais thinking that this was a valid strategy; Lord Ruler only knew what he'd do then. Still, it had to be dealt with.

"And how," she asked with a sweet smile and a voice that was a touch cooler than she intended, "do you suppose to befriend me when we don't share an interest that's such a large part of my life? Please enlighten me, Lord Adolphus, lest I come to the wrong conclusion about your character."

Posted Image

#15 Adolphus Lekal

Tineye
  • Age19

• Allomantic StatusKnown

Posted 05 January 2014 - 05:48 AM

Adolphus was wounded by her accusations. They were true, of course. He had come over here solely to flirt with another of Luthadel's young noble women, but of course that stopped being the case. She didn't know that, though. How could he convince her?

"I did not realize that it was such a large part of your life, my lady." he said, apologetically. "I have only just met you, but I like learning about every person I meet. Being new in Luthadel seems to make it difficult to make true friends, so I do apologize if my intentions didn't seem sincere."

Adolphus hoped that would smooth any ruffled feathers. He wanted nothing more than to acquaint himself with nobles in Luthadel. Of course, he was hopeful that he might meet someone who was more susceptible to his charms. It was clear very quickly which ones were and which ones weren't... Lucille fell into the latter category, but that didn't mean they couldn't find some kind of common interest.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users