The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

House Calomine

4 replies to this topic

#1 MozytheHealer

Posse Member

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:51 PM

House Calomine
Minor House

Player Leadership Information
Handle: Mozy
OoC Account: MozytheHealer
Contact: Perform a sacrifice to Zeus and maybe he’ll send someone to contact me.

General Information
House Name: Calomine
Classification: Minor House
Socioeconomic Rating: 4.3
Colors: Red, Black, and Silver

Character Information
Head: Edarad Calomine
Heir: Silvan Calomine
Player Members:
-Silvan Calomine
-Zella Calomine
-Hendraw
NPC Members:
-Edarad Calomine
-Issa Calomine(Edarad’s wife)
Miscellaneous:
-Sed(Skaa)
-Eldi(Skaa, Cook)

Home & Wealth
Current Location: Fellise(Silvan and Zella are here.
Ancestral Home: Southern dominance
Financial Avenue: Silks, dyes, textiles

Diplomacy
-House Valen – Ally– Very small NPC house. Allies through marriage. (more details in history)
-House Wairyn Ally

Contracts
House Valen: House Calomine pays them to clean, refine, weave, etc.

Governance & Customs
House Calomine is small, but slowly growing. At the moment it is headed by Edarad, but his health is slowly fading. They have been through worse times, however, and that has made Edarad miserly with the family money. The heir to the family is the oldest male child of the current head. They have very few allomancers, but if the oldest male child is an allomancer it is common that they will skip over him for the second oldest male child. That is because they wish to be able to use the few allomancers they have as bodyguards and do not want to put the house heir in any unneeded danger.

House Calomine has an interesting approach to Skaa, due to the fact that Edarad’s father accidentally-on-purpose married a Skaa woman, Edre, who was, at that time, disguised as a noblewoman. No one is certain if he knew that she was a Skaa when he married her, but by the time that she died she had born him three children, only one of which survived the snapping process. Before she died she talked him into instating a few things into the house management. House Calomine always has to have a reason to beat a Skaa, though over the years the reasons have become more questionable. Edre also forbid the head of house or heir to bed any of the Skaa workers. That too has gotten looked over as the years go by, but the rules, as you could call them, are still, indeed, there. These attitudes have made many house heirs angry, and Silvan opposes them all vehemently.

As for snapping customs and allomantic training, they snap children at 8. It is an intense beating, more intense than other houses in some ways, because they have grown desperate. The amount of deaths the family has experienced through the snapping process is worrisome. Once a child has snapped they would traditionally start training the child in basic combat and then have a specialized trainer for the metal and extra training in either spying, combat, etc. After the marriage of Edre and Teral there were no allomancers until Zella was born. They don’t know if that was just bad luck, or if it had something to do with the skaa blood. However, Zella was trained primarily in combat because of her status as the only Calomine misting. The new way they do it, as there were no house allomancers to train her, was through their alliance with House Wairyn, a house that deals in bodyguards.

For those three metals they begin training in gymnastics and basic hand-to-hand combat first. Once the child has a grip of those two things, they begin to mentally prepare the child for someday having to kill. This is not done by desensitizing them to blood or violence but more through steadily drilling it into the misting’s head an ‘us and them’ mentality. They are taught that when protecting someone, the people they have to fight are not people. In that instance they are villains and must die. The young mistings are also taught to feel after a fight. They are told that in a fight they can feel nothing, but afterwards they must feel something. During this time they are trained to fight with dueling canes, sticks, knives, and all kind of weaponry.

The other metals are much more focused on the social and the mental, not so much the physical. Though they do learn combat techniques, they focus on reading emotions, manipulation, and lies. It is the kind of training that they are often sent to Luthadel to continue, once they get old enough, because it is easier there than in the small cities surrounding their plantation.
History
The house was started roughly three hundred years before Silvan’s birth. The year is not known definitely as the house records slowly tapper off as they get older, the oldest record being the year 598. Nothing much happened in the first two-hundred or so years until 792 when the head of house at that time, Teral, married Edre Valen, supposedly a noblewoman and the greatest secret of the whole family. House Valen is a very small factory house, and until the marriage no one had heard of them. However, they have a stable business. At the time the house was very strong and attempting to ascend to Great House. Edre was a radical change to the house’s management and instated many ‘rules’ to keep the house from failing. She argued that they didn’t have enough money to rent anymore Skaa workers and the house needed to have a good image, so she made certain that the house head and heir would not dally with the Skaa women on the plantation. Teral and Edre had their first child, a daughter named Sera, ten years after their marriage in 802 and their second child, and first son, Tellen, in 805. Tellen and Sera both died in the snapping process and neither Teral nor Edre wanted to have any more children after that. However, they had the house to think of and had another child after fifteen years. Edre died in 839 after bearing three children. That was when Teral finally ‘found out’ that Edre had been a Skaa. He kept it a secret and only told his only son, Edarad, born 820. He couldn’t let it get out because he was now on his deathbed as well and couldn’t even think of having another child. So, to keep the house afloat, he made Edarad swear that he wouldn’t tell anyone.

Edarad struggled with gaming and gambling in the years before his father died, growing the house debt. In the five years before Teral died the house dropped from a socioeconomic rating of 6.2 to 5.3. Teral died in 844 and never got to see any of his children marry, nor his house grow to the status of a great house, which had always been an ambition of his. Edarad quickly had to sell the large family manor in Fellise to pay off his debts and the house, through quite a few bad investments and unrest, dropped to a rating of 3.1. He had very little time to think about getting married until his uncle also died, leaving him a large sum of money that his uncle had had hidden away. In 852 at the age of 32 Edarad finally married the youngest daughter of a small house with land near the Calomine plantation and started trying to get the house back up in status. Issa was only 20, but she didn’t mind very much. They had two children, both sons, the eldest of whom was Sirel, born 865, and the younger was Grynd, born 871. It was quite the age difference, but they were still focused on salvaging the house. Grynd got married first, at the age of 24 in 895, to a beautiful young woman named Zeldelle Tairette. She was from the northern dominance and they had met in Luthadel. The wedding was rushed and they had Silvan very quickly afterwards. So quickly, in fact, that some people speculated that the wedding had been rushed for scandalous reasons. Two years later, in 898, Zella was born, the first allomancer in the family since the family’s blood had been ‘tainted’ by Edre. Silvan was incredibly jealous of her, though he was glad that he got to be the house heir someday and he took every opportunity to flaunt his power and tease Zella, resulting in her bitter personality.

When Silvan was just 12, and Zella 10, this was now the year 908, Grynd, Zeldelle, and Sirel were all killed in what was supposedly a carriage accident. The cause of death was never certain, but no one had any ideas why members of the Calomine family would be assassinated, so they took the carriage accident explanation without argument. Edarad and Issa still lived, though they were beginning to grow older, and they took it upon themselves to raise Silvan and Zella. Silvan somehow found out about his great-grandmother a few years later and tried to use it to get Edarad to give him the house before he was supposed to have it. Edarad stood firm that Silvan would only get it after his, Edarad’s, death but did agree to lift some of the restrictions on the house heir that Edre had instated. This was not nearly enough to satisfy Silvan, but when Edarad pointed out that if the knowledge got out no one knew exactly what would happen, but they all knew it would be bad and probably result in the collapse of the house. Silvan was pacified for a while, though it is well known that he is eagerly waiting his grandfather’s death.

Over the years the house has been able to establish some of its older power. They've grown to a rating of 4.3 and Silvan has high hopes. He currently resides in the new, smaller, family manor in Fellise with his sister and the two have been much of the reason the family is growing. However, Zeldelle’s family has recently fallen and is no longer able to keep their contract with Calomine and that worries Silvan.

Manor Description
The Calomine manor in Fellise is on the small side. It’s black, and the garden is small, but they’ve been very good at keeping it clean. The manor has 23 rooms in it, many of which are not used. The only colorful paint on the outside is the red trim around the door and lower windows. The windows are clean of ash and it’s all very neat and tidy. There’s a balcony overlooking the street and another overlooking the garden.

There is the main body of the house, with the dining room, lounge, and library on the bottom floor, and four bedrooms, two washrooms, and Silvan's office on the second floor. The guest wing consists of four guest rooms and a washroom. The basement of the house is the servant's quarters and Zella's training room.

Edited by MozytheHealer, 16 February 2014 - 03:14 AM.

PCs:

Delve, Silvan Calomine, Zella Calomine, Liss

Renette Deveaux, Marceline Dumont

Isabelle Sureau, Gisela Sureau,

Adalaide Getrue, Oliver Martel,

Grandell Tekiel, Yvette Valcier,

Katryn Domaille

WIPs:

Ranee, Delacey,

Theodoric Getrue, Kyl,

Vanessa Venture, Cedric Hallieau

Cordelia Morel, Kennith Fathvell

NPCs:

Issa Calomine, Randall Scanlan

#2 Comatose

• Shard of Brain Inactivity

Looking Good in Red

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:20 PM

Looks good to me. Just remove the Inquisition notes section for now, as that's generally just for Great Houses. IF the Inquisition ever has a reason to take not of House Calomine, we'll edit them in :)

I'd still like the rating to be a little bit lower, but it is much more reasonable now, so maybe that's just me being persnickety.

Anyways, here's your first vote for approval!

Posted Image

#3 MozytheHealer

Posse Member

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:49 PM

I lowered it a little. I just don't want to go to low because, and if this can be clearer in the app, let me know, they're on an upswing.

PCs:

Katryn Domaille

WIPs:

Ranee, Delacey,

Theodoric Getrue, Kyl,

NPCs:

Issa Calomine, Randall Scanlan

#4 Comatose

• Shard of Brain Inactivity

Looking Good in Red

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:13 AM

I think it was mainly the size of the house that made me feel it should be lower. 4.2 sounds fine, but you could be a little higher than that if you wanted. Like I said, I might just be being persnickety. I like what you've added about the upswing, and it looks good enough to me, so I wouldn't worry. Besides, while I appreciate you continuing to work on things, I've already approvedyou, so good luck getting your other vote.

Note: Whichever rating you end up deciding on (I feel like 4.2-4.4 would be good, but feel free to leave it at 4.2 now that it's there), make sure it is reflected in the rest of the app. I noticed at the end of the history it still says 4.6.

Anyways, I've probably said too much on this application already, since I think it is acceptable already, so I'll just leave things open for another admin to give you feedback. Great work!

Posted Image

#5 MozytheHealer

Posse Member

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:55 PM

I know that I have half an approval, but when I went through it recently, I found out that a lot of my dates just don't work. They've been fixed, but if someone wants to check them again, feel free.

PCs:

Katryn Domaille

WIPs:

Ranee, Delacey,

Theodoric Getrue, Kyl,