The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Shelters Made of Ink and Paper

Closed W2 D2 EA Renaud Deveaux Lucille Deveaux

15 replies to this topic

#1 Lucille Deveaux

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

• Relationship StatusSingle

• OriginUrteau

• Allomantic StatusOpen

Posted 27 October 2013 - 05:50 PM

Home again, at long last! Luci was decidedly worn out after waking up first thing in the morning just to have yet another run-in with her chief editor-slash-bully. But she had his name now, while he only had her house. Though, of course, what advantage that might have given her was negated by the fact that the miserable man still had her essay. Honestly; what had she ever done to him? It was if he had had a personal vendetta against her from the moment he spotted her in what he deemed to be "his" section of the library.

Well, the library was for everyone, and he would just have to deal with it. Still, it was nice to come home to her house's own library, where she knew he wouldn't be waiting around the corner to tree her up the next ladder she climbed. It felt strange, calling a library other than the one she had grown up in "home," but that was alright. She had Damien, she had the Four, and she had her books. And that was really all that mattered.

Oh, the Four. She couldn't believe their bad luck! Their hotel burned down, and with no place to stay. She wished there were something she could do to help, but of course there was no way Lord Deveaux would allow them to stay in the keep. Sending them off to find new lodging was the best help she could have possibly given. Perhaps she would ask around; one of the other Deveaux might have some recommendations.

For now, though, she needed to unwind a little before she would be capable of doing anything other than thinking herself in circles. So she threw herself into the most comfortable looking chair she could find in the library, took shelter behind one of the books she had borrowed, and did her very best to forget about the world for a little while.

Posted Image

#2 Renaud Deveaux

Tineye

Posted 27 October 2013 - 06:31 PM

For the last three hours, Renaud was in the practice yard with his sister. They dueled frequently, especially when Renaud was trying to ignore his studies. Politics in History was quite possibly his favorite subject, the problem was that his instructor was dull. Instead he took to dueling with his sister and reading the books by himself... so he didn't have to listen to the droning flat, boring man who was trying to teach him the names and political moves that changed the shape of Noble life in Luthadel years ago.

Renaud changed into his normal, casual attire after his duel, but it looked like he had been sparring in this outfit all day. It was wrinkled and as unkempt as his hair. He tried to keep his appearance as neat and orderly as he could, but he always managed to mess something up.

With his nose in a copy of a book about the political structures of the Great Houses of Luthadel -- the musings of an Obligator with a lot of time on his hands -- Renaud went to his favorite sanctuary. Between the stacks of books and the musty smell libraries always came with, the Deveaux library was quite possibly his favorite place to relax with a thick book.

His favourite place to sit and read was the most comfortable place to sit in the library -- he checked. He wasn't paying attention to where he was going, and he went to sit in his favorite chair. It wasn't until he was in the chair that he realized he was sitting on someone. His eyes widened and he leapt up off of his cousin's lap, trying not to shriek. His face flushed a bright red as he fumbled over an apology.

"You're very quiet..." he said chuckling. "Do forgive me cousin. There is rarely anyone else in here while I am, and I just assumed that my chair would be empty as it usually is." Needless to say, Renaud was embarrassed.

#3 Lucille Deveaux

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

• OriginUrteau

• Allomantic StatusOpen

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:25 PM

Luci was in the middle of getting blissfully lost within the pages of the Emerson she had borrowed from the Library of Doctrine when she was rather unceremoniously sat upon.

She barely had time to emit a startled squeak when the offender jumped up and offered a sincere apology, which was an incredible relief after arguing with Gervais all morning.

"No harm done," she told him with a friendly smile, rising out of her seat so she could smooth her dress with her free hand. "You're.... Renaud, right? I'm sorry; I was introduced to so many people all at once it's hard to keep everyone straight sometimes. I hope I'm not bothering you; I seem to have developed a special talent for discovering contested reading territory since I came to Luthadel."

Posted Image

#4 Renaud Deveaux

Tineye

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:03 PM

Renaud hadn't really had a chance to introduce himself to or get to know his cousin Lucille, who had only been in town for a little while. Renaud and Rosalie had been in the Deveaux keep for quite a while now. Renaud hadn't needed to watch his favorite seat in the library because he rarely every saw anyone else here. This seemed like a pretty good opportunity to get to know her.

He bowed, and it wasn't all together ungraceful thankfully. He often wished he had Snapped a Pewterarm. His sister didn't need any help with her grace, it was Renaud that was the clumsier of the two. "You can call me Reni, almost everyone around here does," he said smiling as he took a seat in a chair opposite the one Lucille had taken.

"It's much harder to find quiet reading places. If you don't mind sharing the reading space, or friendly conversation, there's plenty of places in the Keep... it's the conversation when I'm trying to concentrate on my books that keeps me from seeking company," he said chuckling. "I'm happy to share my reading space, though and you have excellent taste in chairs. That's quite possibly the most comfortable one in the whole library. Actually, I've thought of asking to have several more made and put around... it's a pain to move it to the window when I want some sunlight." He realized he was rambling.

#5 Lucille Deveaux

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

• OriginUrteau

• Allomantic StatusOpen

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:08 AM

Luci sat back down as Reni took a seat, and she couldn't help but smile at their exchange so far. It was delightful to meet somebody new who actually shared her interest in books, and for it to be one of her own cousins as well! She had been beginning to think that no such person existed.

"Would it really be the same, though?" she asked with a friendly giggle. "I mean, you'd have to break them all in, and in order for them to all be alike, you'd have to spend the exact same amount of time sitting in each and every one of them. Is leisure really supposed to be that much work?"

She really hoped Reni liked being silly, because otherwise she was making a rather big fool of herself right now.

"And you don't need to worry about me," she assured him when her giggle had subsided. "I'm the same way. I don't mind a bit of pleasant conversation here and there - I've met some of the most valued people in my whole life over books, after all - but generally, when I come to the library, I'm here to read. Or write. And very much not to interrupt other people. Or trap them at the top of library ladders," she added under her breath.

Posted Image

#6 Renaud Deveaux

Tineye

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:23 AM

Renaud chuckled. "My, I do believe you've struck something there. They should just learn to make the chairs comfortable from the start. Why should breaking them in be so much work?" he asked as he leaned back into the chair he currently occupied. "Perhaps we could have other people break them in for us, though... I bet it would be the best use of servants that anyone has seen in twenty years."

It was good to know that his cousin and now library companion enjoyed reading possibly as much as he did... but he didn't know she was a write also. The thought that she might be a good writer intrigued him. She seemed smart enough, but he had only just met her, and he wasn't a terribly good judge of character.

His father had taught him to respect the opinions of men... and he followed that, but he wasn't such a chauvinist that he couldn't recognise the achievements of the "fairer" gender. He just didn't tend to follow their advice to the letter.

"You're a writer?" he asked, sounding interested. He genuinely was. "I don't often meet people who write... Most of the books I read were written too long ago for any of the writers to still be alive, to be honest. What is it that you enjoy writing?" he asked.

#7 Lucille Deveaux

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

• OriginUrteau

• Allomantic StatusOpen

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:37 AM

Friendly, funny, and interested in her writing? Could it be that Luci had finally found her second-best cousin ever? She straightened a little when he asked about what she wrote, even bouncing a little in her seat.

"Oh, I write all sorts of things!" she said with a grin that splits her face. "Philosophy, essays on various topics, even a little poetry. It's my dream to be published one day, though I'll probably use a pen name. You know, for obvious reasons." Her mouth twisted a little at that last part. It was infuriating that women were taken less seriously in academia, but she would do what she needed to do to get herself published. Even if that meant taking up a pseudonym.

Posted Image

#8 Renaud Deveaux

Tineye

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:16 AM

Renaud shrugged. "Unfortunately we to have a stigma against women writers, but I'm sure that there are women who publish under pseudonyms. I read a book once that was considered controversial simply because it had been written by a woman. Apparently it was a classic before it was discovered that the writer was female." He shrugged.

"It's rare that I find anyone to talk with about Philosophy or any subject beyond how heavy the ashfall was yesterday. The best conversation my sister offers is about piano, dresses, or dueling... and while that is interesting for a few minutes... I tend to enjoy deeper conversations." He said. "I can't say that I enjoy writing very much myself, but I would love to read something you've written if you would let me."

#9 Lucille Deveaux

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

• OriginUrteau

• Allomantic StatusOpen

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:33 AM

"You would?" Luci asked with excitement. "Actually, I do have something I've been working on. It's an essay on the inconsistencies in the ways women are treated in the Final Empire at various levels of society. I've been working on revising it since a strange man in the Canton of Doctrine library took it upon himself to vandalize it with what turned out to be an excellent critique, but then he went and stole my latest draft. I do have an extra, but it's incomplete."

She grinned, holding up the Emerson. "That's what this is for. I borrowed it to quote some key passages from his later essays, but then I decided to go ahead and read the whole thing anyways."

Posted Image

#10 Renaud Deveaux

Tineye

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:52 PM

"Consider my interest peaked," Renaud said with a grin. He was always looking for more things to fall asleep reading. If Lucille's writing was half as good as he expected, perhaps he could stay awake through all of it. "Even unfinished, I would like to read it."

He smiled. "I picked up this book to read the other day, and it seems very derivative of Barlowe's theories concerning Luthadel's political structures. It would be nice to read something new for a change. And I do not recommend reading what I will be putting aside to read your essay." he said, chuckling.

#11 Lucille Deveaux

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

• OriginUrteau

• Allomantic StatusOpen

Posted 16 November 2013 - 03:15 PM

Lucille couldn't help but grin excitedly. Reni had already said he enjoyed reading, but hearing him actually talk about what he read proved quite emphatically that they would get along just fine.

"Barlowe's theories are so ubiquitous that it's hard not to reference them at all," she admitted as she fished through her folders to find the essay, "but it's hard to imagine someone getting away with something completely derivative. Wait, I think I may have read part of that, actually. It was buy a... a Dawson, right? Or a Davenpleau? Something like that, I think?"

Posted Image

#12 Renaud Deveaux

Tineye

Posted 29 December 2013 - 06:05 PM

Renaud was very excited to have someone -- and someone related to him no less -- to have actual conversations with. About books. Even if he did have to meet her what was quite possibly the most awkward way possible.

“Davenpleau, that’s right.” He said. “Although Barlowe did write the best theories on the political structure, I thought that some others might have things to add to those theories.. rather than just restating them, and calling it a new idea. Davenpleau, I’m learning, is one of the worst. This is not his only book on political theory, or social psychology but they are all completely derivative of other works. I’d rather read a G. B. Wilhelm than this.”

#13 Lucille Deveaux

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

• OriginUrteau

• Allomantic StatusOpen

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:47 AM

"A Wilhelm!" Luci laughed, delighted at Reni's commentary. "Now that's saying something! I might be inclined to agree with you, except that at least Davenpleau isn't so horribly biased against women. Though he's better than Warwick; that man is downright vulgar at times." She sighed, waving the thought of the way.

"But Emerson, he's good. I get a lot of my most useful supporting arguments from his works, especially his later publications."

In Urteau, practically none of her relatives were interested in books, let alone sharing them with her. Meeting Reni was a dream come true, and she couldn't wait to tell Damien. And the book club! She simply had to invite him!

"You know," she said with a grin, "My friends from Urteau decided to drag themselves down here after me, and now they're stuck in Luthadel. But we've a book club of our very own, and I think they'd love to meet you. Would you like to attend?"

Posted Image

#14 Renaud Deveaux

Tineye

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:59 AM

Renaud was elated. Not only did his cousin like books, but she was opinionated about social issues, and wasn't afraid to tell him about it. She seemed very concerned with how women are treated in society and Renaud couldn't say he was entirely an expert on the subject but her enthusiasm made him curious to learn more. Perhaps her essay would provide a bit of insight on the subject. Lucille had even read the same books he had. They had things to talk about that didn’t include the weather or how much ash had fallen the day before.

It had been so long since he actually talked to anyone about issues that mattered. He didn’t have many intellectual friends to speak of. Perhaps this would change all of that.
“A book club?” Renaud asked. “I… I would love to,” he hesitated only because he was nervous. As social as he enjoyed being, meeting new people always came with a kind of anxiety as well. What if none of Lucille’s friends liked him? What if they thought he was as well-educated as a mistwraith?

“When is this meeting?” he asked.

#15 Lucille Deveaux

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

• OriginUrteau

• Allomantic StatusOpen

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:11 AM

Luci paused, taken aback by the very simple question. "I. Er. Well. I don't know, actually," she answered with a soft, self-deprecating laugh. "We met weekly back in Urteau, but things have been a little hectic, what with the rebels attacking Keep Casuana and my friends' hotel burning down." She couldn't help but sigh at that; those four would have that kind of luck, wouldn't they?

"Anyways, they've been having to look for a place to stay, so for now our meetings are basically whenever we can manage to all meet up at the same place at the same time. But I'll certainly let you know as soon as we plan the next one!"

Posted Image

#16 Renaud Deveaux

Tineye

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:15 AM

Renaud was secretly relieved that at least theoretically he would have time to prepare for his eventual meeting of his cousin's friends. Even if he was still terrified. What was he worried about? If they didn't like him, it wasn't as if he would be missing something he had before. Renaud had a small circle of friends, but none of them were really close.

Renaud smiled, hoping that his relief didn't show. "That would be lovely, and I'm sorry to hear they're having a hard time. You said they lived in Urteau before?" Renaud asked, interested in learning more about them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users