The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Before the Ball

Open Noble W2 D4 HN Sebastien Perrault

249 replies to this topic

#1 Sebastien Perrault

• Heir to House Perrault

House Hasting
  • Age20

• Relationship StatusSingle

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 27 December 2013 - 01:29 AM

A light dusting of ash fell over Ahlstrom Square. It wasn't too heavy, thank the Lord Ruler, but Sebastien still hoped it would stop soon. He could only imagine the scene at the ballroom right now: they would be panicking, sending the skaa out every five minutes to sweep the paths again.

It made him distinctly glad to be away from the venue at the moment.

His parents would likely be there, overseeing the preparations, and he no doubt should have been as well, but it only took so many people to tell a team of perfectly capable professionals how to do the job they were already doing. Honestly, how hard could it be? And so he had taken it upon himself, as the heir to his house, to amble about Ahlstrom Square instead. There were a lot of names on the guest list that he didn't recognize, so he thought that maybe with a little luck, he might be able to meet a few of them before he had to go back and get dressed for the event. It wasn't uncommon these days for young people who lived within the city itself to do a little bit of last-minute networking before a big event, after all.

He could only hope he actually met someone soon, so he wouldn't be standing around by himself looking the fool.

Posted Image

#2 Aldric Venture

• Heir to the Plantation

Best Cousin
  • Age20

• OriginUrteau

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:05 PM

Women, Aldric had decided long ago, were strange creatures. And no stranger woman could be found than his sister. He had been worried about her when she left home, going somewhere so far away, with no one but Zayeed for a familiar face, it would make anyone feel rather overwhelmed. Aldric certainly felt overwhelmed by this city, but he was happy that Luthadel had yet to change his sister's true nature. Sure she seemed to be trying to act the proper noblewoman (for which he was both grateful and regretful), but being around him seemed to have put her back in her normal temperment. It was strange, he had always wanted Adala to act properly, but when faced with a reality where she might do just that he was happy she chose to be herself instead.

Hopefully that would not ostracize her here like it did in Urteau, in fact she seemed to have already made friends, actual friends, among the nobles in Luthadel. Perhaps they could see what the nobles in Urteau had not, that Adala was a wonderful, kind woman with a penchant for speaking more then she should. He could only hope.

Yes on the whole Aldric was quite happy with his sister, but not at the moment when she dragged him from the Keep to one of Luthadel's many squares. She hadn't even bothered with a carriage, saying something about how excercise was important (Adala, caring about excercise, what was this madness?). And it was all in the name of getting some jewelry.

“Adala this is ridiculous,” Aldric said finally.

“This? This is fashion brother, there is nothing ridiculous about it,” she hissed, dragging him farther along, “Now where are the shops?”

"Not here, I imagine," Aldric said, "Where are we at any rate?"

"Ahlstrom Square," Adala informed him, "Broderick took me here yesterday, it's where I met Lord Elariel." She had stopped calling him Aaron after he had teased her about having a crush, Aldric wasn't sure if he felt bad about it or not.

"Well I have a feeling we're rather far from the jewelry shops, sister. Perhaps we can just go back to the keep and get a carriage and have the driver take us-"

"No." she stopped him, "I am going to figure out how to navigate this infernal city if it's the last thing I do."

Aldric sighed, "As you wish, dear sister." It would never do to argue with Adala when she was in one of her independant moods, it would only make her dig in her heels more. All he had to do was wait her out, eventually she would admit defeat and they could go back to the keep.

Edited by Noelle, 28 December 2013 - 11:10 PM.

Posted Image

#3 Sebastien Perrault

• Heir to House Perrault

House Hasting
  • Age20

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:07 PM

Sure enough, not too long after Sebastien arrived in the square, he heard voices approaching. They were both tall, and dressed finely enough that even though Sebastien had never seen either of them before, he felt sure they must be fairly high ranked. Scions of a High House from another Dominance at the very least, putting on their best for Luthadel - or, more likely, branch members of a Great House. They were tall enough to be Ventures, but height wasn't always the best means by which to judge. At the Casuana ball, after all, he'd seen a Deveaux - of all people! - who was tall as most Ventures.

Whoever they were, they seemed rather lost, but the difference in their stations was great enough that they might take offense if he approached out of turn. Instead, he did his best to make himself look open and approachable. Perhaps they would approach him, and he could help - and maybe make some valuable contacts in the process.

Posted Image

#4 Aldric Venture

• Heir to the Plantation

Best Cousin
  • Age20

• OriginUrteau

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:06 PM

“That man looks like he wishes to speak to us,” Aldric said after a few more steps, the nobleman who’d noticed them in the corner of his eye. Adala, naturally, craned her neck around him to see who he was talking about, and then whipped it forward just as quickly.

“We don’t have time for small talk brother; we’re on a mission here.” She told him, marching along.

Aldric stopped. Adala took one more step before she was dragged to a halt from where their arms were intertwined. She looked back at him, one eyebrow raised, and tugged on his arm. It didn’t move an inch, and Aldric was never happier that he was so tall and broad; it kept Adala’s face from being seen by anyone.

“We can ask him for directions, surely that is better than wandering around for hours; you need the jewelry by tonight, don’t you?” Aldric said gently.

Adala glared at him, she always glared at him when he was right, “I suppose.” She sighed, “No you’re right brother,” when was the last time she’d said that? Aldric thought never, “We might as well ask him, but let me do the talking.” Aldric nodded acceptance at once. It was enough that Adala was willing to listen to him; he wasn’t going to presume to speak for her as well.

Adala spun on her heel and walked towards the man, Aldric still on her arm. When she reached him she inclined her head politely and said, “Hello, it’s a pleasure to meet you Lord…” She gave the man a moment to supply his name.

“Sebastian Perrault, my lady. It’s a pleasure to make your acquaintance.” He said with a bow, and immediately Aldric knew that their simple shopping trip had been derailed.

“Perrault, as in the same Perraults who are hosting the Ball tonight?” Adala said excitedly, and Aldric resisted the urge to sigh, Adala was always excited to go to a ball, even when she should be terrified, and indeed she probably was terrified. She was just saving it up to have a breakdown as she got ready, as always. “Why it is quite a pleasure to meet you, Lord Perrault, I am going to your ball- but I forget my manners,” Adala added with a lady like laugh, since when had she known to laugh like that? “I am Lady Adala Venture.”

And this is my brother, Aldric he waited for her to say, because it was what she always said. But she actually introduced him properly, “This is my brother, Lord Aldric Venture of Urteau.” What had gotten into his sister?

No, he shouldn't question it. He should be happy that she was acting the part of a noblewoman, rather then being surprised and... disappointed? He had to resist the urge to sigh again and instead nodded to the man, "A pleasure." he said politely, and then elbowed his sister in the ribs (where Sabastien wouldn't see of course) to try and remind her of why they were here, but she ignored him and instead waited for Lord Perrault's response rather than asking for directions.

Let me do the talking she'd said, We're on a mission she'd said, how easily his sister got distracted.

Edited by Noelle, 01 January 2014 - 09:07 PM.

Posted Image

#5 Zella Calomine

• Noble Tineye

Crewleader
  • Age20

• Relationship StatusIn a secret affair

• OriginCalomine Plantation, Southern Dominance

• Allomantic StatusHidden

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:54 PM

Zella rolled her eyes as she thought about her brother talking to her about the ball and what she needed to remember. It was irritating. She wasn't an idiot. She was walking towards Ahlstrom Square to get away from him before the rant that was sure to come in Silvan's stress-filled hours before the ball. He was apparently working on a contract and he was not dealing with the stress of it very well. That and he just happened to be one of the worst people she knew. Any time that wasn't around him was good.

As Zella approached the square she burned tin for a few moments to see who was already there. She couldn't burn much, as her smoker wasn't with her, but she was willing to risk it just a tiny bit. She noticed a lot of people she didn't know, mostly. They seemed to be already in a conversation, and they also seemed like the kind of people her brother would approve of. Naturally, she avoided them. Oh, she would talk to people that were important when she was actually at the ball, but right now she didn't want to have to talk politics or be excessively polite to gain someone's favor.

And so, Zella gravitated towards the one person who didn't seem to be talking to anyone. He seemed to be looking for someone, his blue eyes scanning the crowd every few seconds. Well, he could use some company, in her opinion. She walked over to him and smiled. "Well this obviously is the place to be right now, don't you think?" She commented easily. She was not as good at starting conversations as she was in keeping them going. "I am Zella, by the way, Zella Calomine. I don't believe I have seen you around before? Are you new to the city?"

Edited by MozytheHealer, 02 January 2014 - 10:04 PM.

#6 Jasun Vallace

• Fallen Noble

Best Cousin
  • Age30

• Relationship StatusSecretly Engaged to Lysette Hasting

• OriginKlessium

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:25 PM

Come on, Lysette, I know you're somewhere in this damned city Jasun thought to himself. He had never tried to seek Lysette out in the daylight, but then again none of his aliases had ever needed to do business with House Hasting. He honestly had no idea where she spent her time during the day, and had little hope of finding her before the ball. Still he'd wanted to see her before then, in the daylight, in a dress. Just so he didn't stare at her open mouthed when he caught sight of her tonight.

Although aren't I supposed to be playing the role of a love struck fool? he thought, maybe it wouldn't be too bad for him to be awestruck by her, and if he was just being honest with himself he just wanted to see her. Just because it would be nice to. He had no ulterior motives, which was a strange sensation. Although tonight, tonight would be a mix of acting and truth and he did not really look forward to it. He was used to being completely genuine with Lysette, he did not want to put on a mask, no matter how necessary.

There was no use standing around pining though, he really should go and get ready for the ball, or talk with Gil, or do anything but stand around like a lovesick puppy. He had some pride after all.

He had just decided to go on his way when a girl walked up to him, bold as brass and introduced herself. He resisted raising an eyebrow at her boldness. Noblewomen didn't usually walk up to men they didn't know and were most likely below their station and say hello. A rebellious one? he wondered, it wouldn't do to encourage her, would it? But since when had he made good decisions?

"Jasun Allard, at your service Lady Calomine." he said with a flourish and a bow, his second most charming smile on his face, "It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance, and you are right I am not from your fair city. I hail from the fine city of Klessium." He had decided quickly to make his fake house from there, Klessium was where he'd been born, he knew that city better then any other. "As for your first question, I wouldn't really know, I am new to the city."

#7 Zella Calomine

• Noble Tineye

Crewleader
  • Age20

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:37 PM

Zella had obviously made a good choice of company. She turned a small part of her mind to making sure she didn't start burning tin, just in case, and smiled. "Klessium? All the way to the east? No wonder you came here." She said lightly and it was clear in her tone that she was not as serious as she was acting. "I wouldn't know either. I am rarely able to escape my brother before balls."

Zella twisted the hair that was falling over her eyes and put it behind her ear. "To be honest, I just said that to get your attention. I am ever so bad at starting conversations." She had the opinion that if you were truthful about small things like that, then it would be less obvious when you were hiding something. It had always worked for her, and she thought it made people more comfortable.

#8 Jasun Vallace

• Fallen Noble

Best Cousin
  • Age30

• OriginKlessium

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:02 PM

Lord Ruler was she... flirting with him? He nearly kicked himself, he was a master conman and he couldn't tell if a woman was flirting with him or just being overly kind, it was Lysette's influence, surely. She was so prickly the tiniest bit of positivity was something to be treasured, the idea that a woman might be kind to him for no reason just seemed, odd. Especially considering they were in Luthadel. No the girl was playing some sort of game, he just had to figure out what. He decided against using zinc or brass on her, she wasn't a mark she didn't deserve to have her emotions meddled with, yet.

None of this showed on his expression, however, and he just said, "Whyever would you want my attention, Lady Calomine?" His smile was easy, jovial, and a lie.

Edited by Noelle, 02 January 2014 - 11:04 PM.

#9 Zella Calomine

• Noble Tineye

Crewleader
  • Age20

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:21 PM

"You looked interesting and I dislike conversing with dull people." Zella said simply, still on her guard despite her cheerfulness. She dearly wished that she could burn tin right now. It was so much easier to notice subtle body language when she was burning tin. However, any one of these people could be a Seeker, and then Silvan would never forgive her. Despite the hate she felt for her brother, she knew that some of what he said was probably true.

"Now that I know that I was right, you'll never get rid of me." She said it with a cheeky grin, "Until, of course, my brother finds out where I went and comes to take me back and lecture me about the importance of every social interaction I ever have."

#10 Jasun Vallace

• Fallen Noble

Best Cousin
  • Age30

• OriginKlessium

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:30 PM

"I would so hate to be dull," he quipped, "I'm so glad you find me worthy of your company Lady Calomine." The way he said it took out any bite to the words, turning what could have been sarcasm into a compliment. He was playing the part of a minor nobleman after all, and House Calomine was of enough renown that he at least recognized the name, it wouldn't do to insult her.

She was very open about her dislike of her brother, it was strange, he could easily start rumors about unrest in their House if she didn't hold her tongue, but that was not for him to say, "I have a feeling, Lady Calomine," he said, still smiling, "that your brother would not be able to take you anywhere you didn't want to go." She certainly had the brass to stand up for her own desires, if she was so willing to speak ill of her brother to a stranger.

#11 Zella Calomine

• Noble Tineye

Crewleader
  • Age20

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:49 PM

Zella smiled and again fought the desire to burn tin. For some reason his reactions seemed somewhat off, but she honestly couldn't tell why. Perhaps it was just her. She did tend to be paranoid about people's reactions when she wasn't burning. "Oh, no one could take me somewhere that I don't want to go." She said it lightly, and then continued with the lie that she had said and acted so many years.

"I do love my brother dearly," She began, careful to change up her wording so that it didn't sound rehearsed, "But he has his faults, same as anyone else."

#12 Jasun Vallace

• Fallen Noble

Best Cousin
  • Age30

• OriginKlessium

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:07 AM

This girl was far too good for Luthadel, Jasun decided. She was much too honest, even though she was trying hard to hide her dislike about her brother now she'd let too much slip. Her lie wouldn't convince him when he'd already heard the truth from her. While it would not be his place as a lower nobleman to tell a higher one how to comport themselves it was his duty to at least try and help this girl, so he bent slightly closer to Zella and lowered his voice.

"I suspect that lie will go over better if you do not speak so ill of your brother beforehand." He winked at her, and the smile he gave as he straightened was quite sincere, "In Luthadel Houses must present a united front, or they will fall. It would be good to remember that, Lady Calomine."

#13 Zella Calomine

• Noble Tineye

Crewleader
  • Age20

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:20 AM

Zella arched an eyebrow and smiled again, more honestly. "And this is why he doesn't let me go walking on my own." She said before falling back into her normal socializing. She really didn't want to talk about Silvan. She'd come out here specifically to get away from him.

Eager to change the subject she found a topic of conversation that wouldn't be so personal. "I assume you will be going to the ball tonight? I know of few who would miss it."

#14 Jasun Vallace

• Fallen Noble

Best Cousin
  • Age30

• OriginKlessium

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:28 AM

Far too good for Luthadel he thought after her self deprecating remark. Well, now that she'd stopped giving any eavesdroppers choice political tidbits perhaps they could have a real conversation. Jasun actually found himself looking forward to it. It was nice to see that there was honesty among the nobles as well, and Lysette wasn't a unique case.

"But of course," he squared his shoulders, doing his best to cut an imposing figure, which with his build meant he had little success. "It is to be my debut on the Luthadel social circuit, after all. You are going as well? Perhaps we shall see each other there." He did not offer to dance with her, yet. It would be too forward for someone of his apparent station, an advance. He planned to save all of those for Lysette.

#15 Zella Calomine

• Noble Tineye

Crewleader
  • Age20

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:34 AM

He was definitely a nice person to talk to. Not everyone would have called her out on a small mistake like that. Few people even saw past the smiles when she talked about Silvan. "How lovely. It is supposed to be a wonderful ball. I'm afraid that I missed last week's big event, but hopefully this time there will be less attacks."

She had been ill during the Casuana ball and so the both of them had stayed home. Silvan hadn't liked it, but he admitted not feeling so good himself. Part of her was disappointed, but part of her was happy she hadn't been a part of that kind of fiasco.

#16 Jasun Vallace

• Fallen Noble

Best Cousin
  • Age30

• OriginKlessium

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:40 AM

Jasun actually chuckled at her words, yes he did like this girl, she was bright and honest and Luthadel had a way of destroying those kinds of people, he hoped it wouldn't happen to her. "We can only hope, although this time there won't be any insane Mistborn to go on a rampage, at least I hope. Really these Great Houses go through Mistborn like water." he gave a theatrical sigh, "You'd really think they'd keep them reined in."

And you're going to become one of them, or die. Such a cheerful thought.

#17 Zella Calomine

• Noble Tineye

Crewleader
  • Age20

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:23 AM

Zella nodded, almost rolling her eyes. She thought it definitely said something about the Great Houses that they treated their Allomancers like that. From the moment she had snapped, she had been treasured and hidden, not thrust into crazy situations until she went mad. "It would definitely be interesting to see a Mistborn on a rampage, but also potentially life-threatening. They seem sometimes like an unstoppable force and not a person, at least the way people talk about them."

#18 Jasun Vallace

• Fallen Noble

Best Cousin
  • Age30

• OriginKlessium

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:08 AM

"I've actually met a Mistborn," Jasun couldn't help saying, "She was quite... prickly. But she had her charm. In the end they are just people, like you or me, they just have a few extra powers, I think." He shrugged, it was what he thought at least. Being Mistborn just was, he'd been it most of his life. He didn't feel like an unstoppable force. Indeed he felt mute, blind, and deaf compared to the Mistborn around him, if Lysette was any indication.

#19 Zella Calomine

• Noble Tineye

Crewleader
  • Age20

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:33 AM

Zella couldn't help herself and turned on her tin for just a moment while he was speaking. He seemed more genuine in that last statement and she did notice that his subtle body language was ever so slightly different from before. He used his whole face to express himself and seemed more relaxed. She turned it off almost instantly, though. No need to risk herself that much just to tell if someone was lying or not.

"Well they must be people, or they wouldn't be able to blend in so well. But when they fight. That sounds amazing. All that power compacted into one small body." Zella smiled, letting it show that she was genuinely interested in Mistborn. She didn't think that that was to out of the ordinary.

#20 Jasun Vallace

• Fallen Noble

Best Cousin
  • Age30

• OriginKlessium

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:47 AM

He almost, almost said he'd seen a Mistborn fight, and it really hadn't been all that interesting (then again of course his fights weren't that interesting he was always getting his ass kicked by someone half his size), but he knew at once that that would be dangerous territory to tread. Because she'd want to know when, how, where, and why and it would be so annoying keeping that all straight, better to keep his lies simple and not invent a Mistborn fight out his own imagination, or worse relate a fight between himself and Lysette and give something away by accident. "I suppose," he said instead, "But I've seen Mistings fight, surely it can't be that different."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users