The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Before the Ball

Open Noble W2 D4 HN Sebastien Perrault

249 replies to this topic

#41 Zella Calomine

• Noble Tineye

Posse Member
  • Age20

• Relationship StatusIn a secret affair

• OriginCalomine Plantation, Southern Dominance

• Allomantic StatusHidden

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:02 AM

"I would love to, Lord Allard." Zella said, smiling cheekily in response to his wink. "Unfortunately, Silvan doesn't like it when I bring sticks into proper settings such as a ball. I will have to make do with my sleeves. However, they shall be quite long, so I am not worried." Lord Allard seemed like a nice person to dance with. It would be a break from the men that Silvan approved of, and that was as good a reason as any to dance with someone.

"I am quite sure that the noblemen won't be the ones that I have to worry about, as noblemen are easy to get rid of under the correct circumstances," She said, even though she knew that it was bad form for a noblewoman to tease someone that she had just met. "but instead whatever young lady that you were looking for before I so gracefully interrupted your thoughts."

#42 Sebastien Perrault

• Heir to House Perrault

Lord Prelan
  • Age20

• Relationship StatusSingle

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:47 AM

"Oh, lots of things," Sebastien said with an eager smile. For all that weaponry was the meat and potatoes of Perrault's trade, he found their more artistic endeavors infinitely more enjoyable.

"We've made jewelry, small statues and figurines for display, handles for canes, even a couple swords to be hung on someone's wall. I just hope they don't ever try to use the things," he remarked with a smirk and a wink. "And here, have a look at this."

He reached into his vest and pulled out his pocketwatch; given to him by his father when he came of age, it was his most valued possession. The case was handsomely worked silver, with his stylized initials inlaid in obsidian. That alone was worth a fortune; inlaying obsidian was difficult, time intensive, and costly. But when it was opened, there was even more to see. The face itself was polished obsidian, over which the numbers were worked in silver. There was little enough embellishment beyond the watch's clean and handsome styling, but with the glittering black glass catching the light just so, he felt that trying to add any further ornamentation would have spoiled its beauty.

"It was a gift from my father," he said with a proud smile as he held it out for the siblings to inspect. "Made by our finest craftsmen."

Posted Image

#43 Jasun Vallace

• Fallen Noble

Prelan
  • Age30

• Relationship StatusSecretly Engaged to Lysette Hasting

• OriginKlessium

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:00 AM

Jasun thought quickly, why did this girl think he was looking for a young lady?

Because you were? He banished that thought, it didn’t matter what he’d been doing he couldn’t be discovered. But it’s not as if he could convince the girl he hadn’t been looking for Lysette, he knew a little of this Zella Calomine by now, she seemed like if she sunk her teeth into something she would not let go, no matter how charming and evasive he was. Better to run with it, instead.

“Oh I do not know her name,” he told her, voice forlorn, and stared off into the distance, “Only that she is the most beautiful woman I have ever seen,” he was quiet a moment, thinking of Lysette to really sell his expression of lovesickness, and then looked down at Lady Calomine, “I wanted to see if I could find her before the ball you see, and ask for a dance, but it seems I will have to wait for the ball itself. Ah well, I’m sure I will find her.” She hadn’t promised to be at the ball, exactly. She couldn’t what with her Mistborn duties always present, but she should be there, according to the plan.

#44 Zella Calomine

• Noble Tineye

Posse Member
  • Age20

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:14 AM

Zella laughed quietly, but smiled at him apologetically. She could tell that she had overstepped some boundaries. "I am sorry. I hadn't meant to press you about it. However, I am sure that you will find her, and if you can't, there are plenty of other events here in Luthadel that are well attended." Zella's smile changed into more of a grin. "I am sure it will be very romantic."

#45 Aldric Venture

• Heir to the Plantation

Prelan
  • Age20

• OriginUrteau

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:16 AM

Aldric was infinitely glad when Lord Perrault pulled out the pocket watch, it gave Adala something else to look at. He studied it himself, watching Adala's expression out of the corner of his eye. While he could appreciate the watch as being well made and finely crafted, his sister was looking on it like it was one of her romance heroes suddenly come to life.

"Might I hold it, Lord Perrault?" She asked, her tone oddly subdued, but her face was alight with something, fascination, perhaps? Aldric wasn't sure. He also wasn't sure about his sister handling someone's priceless family heirloom. He opened his mouth to say something about that, but Adala just gave him a look, a look that said 'if you spoil this for me I will kill you' and he subsided. If she dropped it, surely Father would be able to recompense the Perraults, at any rate.

Edited by Noelle, 05 January 2014 - 01:22 AM.

#46 Sebastien Perrault

• Heir to House Perrault

Lord Prelan
  • Age20

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:46 AM

Sebastien couldn't help but smile as Lady Adala lit up like a stained glass window at the sight of his watch. While he was very fond of it himself, he wasn't used to getting that emphatic a reaction from it. And while he was loath to unhook the watch from his vest and simply hand it over, the sheer excitement and romanticism in her eyes caused him to light upon an idea, and before the sane part of his mind prevented him from acting on it, he was already speaking.

"It would be my pleasure to allow such a thing, my Lady," he said, still with that fond smile, "but surely you can understand why I prefer not to remove such a precious item from my person, even in the company of upstanding citizens such as you and your lord brother. But if you would do me the honor of stepping closer, I'm certain that the chain would reach long enough."

As she stepped closer, he reached for her hand, bringing it up between them. They were not so close as to be inappropriate - had they been dancing, they would have been even closer - but she was far closer than women usually stood when having a normal conversation. It was a relief to have her hand between them, and anyway she needed it there to hold the watch. And only when her hand was in position did he move to hand the watch over.

"Here we are," he said softly, slipping it delicately into her hand. "Careful; it's a little heavier than it looks."

Posted Image

#47 Adala Venture

• Hopeless Romantic

Prelan
  • Age23

• OriginUrteau

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:12 AM

Adala stared at the watch in her hands with a small smile on her face, it was heavier then it looked, Lord Sebastien had been right. It was also less embellished, and the initials were wrong, but it was still an obsidian pocket watch, just like Lord Verraie's.

Lord Verraie, who had taught her to love semantics. Lord Verraie who was charming and kind and just a little bit possessive, like any good romance character. Lord Verraie who was her favorite fictional character of all time. She ran her fingers over the case of the watch, still smiling, it was a precious thing and she quickly handed it back to Lord Sebastien.

"Thank you," she said, suddenly demure, "It reminded me of someone very dear to me." She could not admit to loving romances to this man, it just wasn't done, "So thank you, Lord Perrault." She realized suddenly that she was standing right next to man, not so close as to be improper, but only just. She quickly took a step back and linked her arm once again with Aldric's who was looking at her curiously.

#48 Silvan Calomine

• Calomine Heir

Posse Member
  • Age22

• Relationship StatusSingle, mostly

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:38 AM

Silvan got out of his carriage when he reached Ahlstrom square. He was certain that this was where Zella had run off to. He stepped out and walked into the square, noticing his sister's laugh immediately. He was sure that the idiot girl was flirting again. He didn't mind if it was someone high up who would help the house, but he didn't recognize the man with her.

Don't forget to smile. Silvan thought to himself as he walked up next to her. He was irritated that she had run off before the ball. She had to get ready, not go socialize. "So this is where you got to, Zella. I was worried. You took the coach without saying anything, and when it arrived back at the house empty, I worried that you had no way back."

"I told the driver to come back for me later. The ball isn't until this evening, and I was lonely. You are so busy." He could hear the irritation in her voice, but it wasn't noticeable to anyone who wasn't looking for it.

#49 Jasun Vallace

• Fallen Noble

Prelan
  • Age30

• OriginKlessium

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:59 AM

Jasun grinned at her in return, "That is my hope," was all he said. He wasn't sure where to go from here. It would be improper to ask her if she was looking forward to seeing any men at that night's ball, just as it had been improper for her to ask him about Lysette, and at any rate he didn't want to embarrass the girl.

He was saved, after a fashion, by the arrival of her lord brother. The man seemed to be concerned about his sister. So concerned he didn't even bother introducing himself. Likely it was just an act, considering what she'd said earlier, and the tiniest hint of irritation he thought he heard in her voice.

"A pleasure to meet you Lord Calomine," Jasun said, hoping to remind the man of his manners, "You sister and I were just having a friendly conversation, we learned we were both going to the Perrault ball tonight and things just kind of spiraled from there." His charm was slightly more forced then it had been around just Zella, but it would seem genuine enough to this man. Jasun had plenty of practice fooling nobles.

#50 Sebastien Perrault

• Heir to House Perrault

Lord Prelan
  • Age20

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 05 January 2014 - 03:16 AM

Whoever this valued person of Adala's was, they must have been very important to her, the way she was looking at that watch. He smiled as she handed it back to him, then tucked it carefully away in its place in his vest pocket.

"It was a pleasure indeed, my Lady," he said, offering her a slight bow. "It gives me great joy that you like it so."

Posted Image

#51 Zella Calomine

• Noble Tineye

Posse Member
  • Age20

Posted 05 January 2014 - 03:38 AM

Silvan caught Zella's eye and she smiled at him. "I am afraid that I already spoke about you to Lord Allard. I apologize." She said before turning to Lord Allard, noticing the change in his attitude towards Silvan. She had burned tin when she heard a carriage approaching, and hadn't stopped it yet. "As you can see, this is my brother, Silvan. He is constantly worrying about me. I am afraid that I do not make it easy for him." She did it on purpose, but she didn't have to say that.

"I see. The pleasure is all mine." Silvan said, smiling his smile that said that he was irritated. That was definitely something that only Zella would notice, or so she thought.

Zella sighed slightly and smiled at Lord Allard again, perfectly. To perfect. "I apologize for my brother's manners." She felt that it would be best to not have to explain. Had Silvan not been there, she would have said something about him being busy, or stressed, but she could tell that Silvan was having a hard time being nice to her, and they needed to maintain the act.

#52 Jasun Vallace

• Fallen Noble

Prelan
  • Age30

• OriginKlessium

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:39 PM

"I'm quite sure you are worth the trouble, Lady Calomine." Jasun said, with a slight chuckle to his voice, "And do not worry, he was so concerned about you, it is natural that he forgets the little things." His voice was smooth a silk and didn't hold a hint of sarcasm, but he was being sarcastic all the same.

"So, Lord Calomine, would you like to join our conversation? I was just offering Lady Calomine a dance," he was not going to mention the girl's insight into why he was in the square in the first place, "I'm sorry, but I cannot offer you the same," he added good naturedly.

Edited by Noelle, 05 January 2014 - 10:47 PM.

#53 Silvan Calomine

• Calomine Heir

Posse Member
  • Age22

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:53 PM

Silvan knew that Zella would have already accepted the dance, and so he ignored his irritation about it. He could talk to her about that later. He smiled at the joke, though it didn't amuse him. This man was to charming and not nearly rich enough to be flirting with Zella. She never thought before talking to someone.

"I would be delighted. I am always interested in meeting the people that my sister talks to." Silvan said, his voice slathered in politeness.

#54 Wilor Zerrung

• Noble Lurcher, fighting for Skaa

Riordan Casuana's Reputation
  • Age22

• OriginTremredare

• Allomantic StatusRumored

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:27 PM

Wilor walked through Ahlstrom Square, wondering if he'd have a chance to meet some more nobles before the ball that night. He was courting Lysentella, but that didn't mean he couldn't meet others as well.

He spotted a trio of nobles chatting together. Sebastien Perrault was one of them. It couldn't hurt to meet the host of the ball, could it? The other two he was talking to looked vaguely familiar, but Wilor couldn't figure out why. They seemed to be siblings by the way they treated each other. After rapping his knuckles together three times, Wilor decided to barge in and see who the two unfamiliar faces could be.

He strode over to the three young nobles and butted right in. "Good day, gentlemen, and lady," he said, bowing slightly. "I am Wilor Zerrung and we all know Lord Perrault. Who might you two be?"

Wilor

--Wilor Zerrung,der Abzieher

#55 Adala Venture

• Hopeless Romantic

Prelan
  • Age23

• OriginUrteau

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:53 PM

Adala had turned her small smile towards Sebastien, thinking once again how much nicer Luthadel was than Urteau, rebels and all, when a man walked right up to them and butted into their conversation. Adala had always been told she was blunt, uncouth, uncultured. But this man, this man had just waltzed right up to them and dismissed Sebastien. The man who was part of the family hosting tonight's ball. The man who had so graciously let her hold Lord Verraie's his pocket-watch. The third man in years to treat her kindly after she talked to him for more than a few sentences.

This. Would. Not. Do.

She opened her mouth to say something, but naturally, naturally Aldric cut in before she could treat this man the way he had treated Lord Sebastien.

"A pleasure to meet you, Lord Zerrung. My name is Lord Aldric Venture, and this is my sister, Lady Adala Venture." Her brother's voice was slightly stiffer than usual, but it was the picture of politeness.

She stomped on his foot, the movement hidden by her dress.

Aldric didn't so much as blink, but his hold on her arm tightened, and he gave her such a stern look that she immediately felt bad about it. She was mad at this Wilor, not her brother. She really shouldn't take it out on him.

"A pleasure." she said, her voice lightly dipped in sarcasm.

Edited by Noelle, 08 January 2014 - 01:32 AM.

#56 Wilor Zerrung

• Noble Lurcher, fighting for Skaa

Riordan Casuana's Reputation
  • Age22

• OriginTremredare

• Allomantic StatusRumored

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:17 PM

Ventures, of course, how did I not see that before? Wilor kicked himself internally, he shouldn't have been so rude to members of the greatest Great House. He tried to make up for it with exceeding politeness, with a hint of sarcasm behind his words.

"The pleasure is all mine, Milord. I haven't seen you two around before, are you new to the city?" Wilor tried to find out who these strangers were. He found his eyes kept glancing back at the Lady Venture. No, I cannot allow myself these frivolous attractions. I already a courting Lyssie and that's headache enough. Even if this Adala is extremely beautiful. Wilor wasn't sure why he kept looking at her, even with her slight frown.

Wilor

--Wilor Zerrung,der Abzieher

#57 Jasun Vallace

• Fallen Noble

Prelan
  • Age30

• OriginKlessium

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:22 PM

"Well," Jasun said, fishing around for a topic, but all he could remember speaking to Lady Calomine about were the allomantic metals, did he really want to go back onto dangerous territory? To be honest, Jasun wanted to excuse himself from the conversation, this Silvan seemed rather...slimy to him. But that would leave Lady Calomine alone with her lord brother, and Jasun was always the gentleman, "We were just talking about our favorite allomantic metals. Lady Calomine voiced the opinion that tin and pewter were the best, what say you about that?"

#58 Silvan Calomine

• Calomine Heir

Posse Member
  • Age22

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:53 PM

Did she indeed? Zella was always terrible at staying quiet. Silvan's smile at the news of their conversation was coated in a fake love towards his sister, as if he was actually interested in what she had said. "Surprisingly, unlike my sister, I feel tin to be one of the more useless metals. I prefer zinc and brass, though pewter sounds like it would be quite handy on occasion." He liked to believe that if he could Sooth or Riot his house wouldn't be about to fail again and he might actually be able to get with some of the prettier noblewomen. He still couldn't understand how Zella managed to get men to fawn over her.

Zella smiled at her brother, despite the jab he had just made at her allomancy. He hated how genuine she looked about the act they had to keep up. "Silvan has always been more of a subtle person." She said, no hint of irritation or sarcasm in her voice that Silvan could find.

#59 Sebastien Perrault

• Heir to House Perrault

Lord Prelan
  • Age20

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:17 AM

The day was going amazingly well. Sebastien had not only met his goal of meeting some of the less familiar attendees of his family's ball, but he had potentially found a couple new friends as well. He was just about to continue the pleasantries when, much to his surprise, a complete stranger walked into the middle of the group and introduced himself as Wilor Zerrung. He thought he'd heard the name before; if he remembered correctly, they were a Western house, ranked slightly below his family. In other words, he should have known better than waltz right up and announce himself to two obviously very high-ranking people. And pushing Sebastien himself aside in the process! It was an obvious insult, and one he couldn't answer without interrupting Aldric and Adala, thus insulting his new friends.

He managed to prevent his face from slipping into an outright scowl, but his expression tightened all the same, his mouth drawing into a thin line in frustration and irritation.

But what was worst of all, he suddenly noticed, was how this Wilor character kept staring at Adala. Just who did he think he was, ogling her like that? Perhaps he didn't mean anything by it - this man was clearly lacking in manners, after all - but it was still unsettling. As Wilor addressed Aldric, Sebastien coughed slightly, hoping to get Adala's attention. It worked, and as their eyes met, he arched an eyebrow at her. His meaning was clear:

Are you alright with this?

Posted Image

#60 Adala Venture

• Hopeless Romantic

Prelan
  • Age23

• OriginUrteau

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:29 AM

This, this Wilor had wandering eyes, Adala found, and they were increasingly wandering on her. She was not used to men looking at her like that, not at all, and she was happy about that fact because it was not comfortable in the slightest. She looked at Sebastien at once when he coughed, grateful for any respite from the rude young man and shook her head at his questioning gaze, but mouthed 'Let Aldric handle it.' As much as she appreciated Sebastien's concern it was her brother's place to defend her honor, not his, and Aldric was doing just that.

"We are from Urteau, Lord Zerrung." Aldric said, no anger in his voice, "And over there we know where to keep our eyes. Do you and I need to go on the dueling grounds before you learn the same?" There was no menace in his voice, indeed it seemed rather good natured, but his eyes were sharp and he drew himself up slightly, emphasizing their difference in height.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users