The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

New Home, New Friends (Pt. 2)

Ask W2 D3 MM Broderick Venture Adala Venture Aaron Elariel

10 replies to this topic

#1 Broderick Venture

Atium Chandelier
  • Age20

• Relationship StatusSingle

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusKnown

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:23 AM

This thread is a continuation of New Home, New Friends.

Could this day get any better? Broderick Venture thought not.

Here he was, riding along in a carriage with his favorite new cousin - not his new favorite cousin; there was a difference, but Adala was still a favorite - and one of his favorite friends. And not only were they all off on a grand adventure together, but they were doing it through the middle of what was supposed to be morning training! He was caring less and less that the longer he was gone, the more dearly he would pay for it when Father found out.

"This theater is newer than some," he explained on the ride over, "but by far the most popular at the moment. They've spared no expense with the venue, and the acts are all top-notch. Why, I hear they're even raising money to bring in a troupe of exotic Southern Isles dancers! I hear it's quite expensive to do that, you know," he continued with a conspiratorial grin. "To get them to the mainland, they have to sail through pirate-infested waters. Can you believe it?"

Edited by KChan, 31 December 2013 - 04:28 AM.

Posted Image

#2 Adala Venture

• Hopeless Romantic

Prelan
  • Age23

• OriginUrteau

Posted 31 December 2013 - 05:33 AM

Adala was giddy, she had been dreading her trip to Luthadel since she was told she was going. She had been sure it would just be a retread of Urteau, another place where she would not fit in. But two, two people already had, if not befriended her, at least treated her far better then anyone in Urteau had. At least anyone without ulterior motives.

Then again this is Luthadel, everyone has ulterior motives she thought, then banished it just as quickly. No, she was here to have fun, a day out on the city with two handsome men she wasn't going to think about politics or any such nonsense when she could think about theaters and dueling. She just had to focus and keep all her petty fears at bay. Focus, focus, focus- wait had Broderick just mentioned pirates?

Adala loved pirates, swashbuckling figures who captured damsels and had their hard hearts softened by a woman's gentle touch. Given the pirates that actually existed in reality were probably far more unclean, smelly, and altogether not as attractive, but fictional pirates, those were amazing.

"Pirates," the word slipped out of her mouth before she could stop it, "Actual pirates? Do you- do you know anything more about them, cousin?"

#3 Aaron Elariel

• Elariel Heir

House Raisaal
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusHidden

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:37 AM

Aaron allowed Broderick and Adala's frivolous discussion to wash over him, distracting him from his troubles. In truth, he had far more interest in the dueling arena than the theater, but if going to the theater meant getting away from his minders, then he supposed it would be a small price to pay. He had attended a few shows here and there on dates, but if he had a choice he would have chosen the action of a training ground to the acting on stage any day. The stories would entertain him at first, catching his interest with gripping plots and compelling characters, but soon his attention would wander to other things, and he would loose interest. Besides, who wanted to sit in the same spot for a whole afternoon.

"Yes Lord Broderick, tell us more about the pirates. I'm curious to hear of your experience with them."

#4 Broderick Venture

Atium Chandelier
  • Age20

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusKnown

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:39 AM

Broderick couldn't help but grin at Adala's eager reaction to his mention of the pirates. His cousin was eating up these antics of his, and he was loving every second. It wasn't often that he got to let loose and be himself to this extent, and he would take advantage of every second. Even Aaron was getting in on the fun, which made it all the better.

"Well, I don't know too much," he said with a regretful expression, leaning back into his corner of the coach. "Only what's told in the stories, and in the shows here. They sail the open ocean, attacking nobles on their plantations or on their trading vessels, taking anything they get their hands on: goods, money, some even take prisoners." He leaned forward again, his voice taking on a dramatic tone.

"Especially the women. Pirates love kidnapping beautiful young maidens, according to the stories. They say some even end up turning their coats and becoming pirates themselves."

Posted Image

#5 Adala Venture

• Hopeless Romantic

Prelan
  • Age23

• OriginUrteau

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:25 AM

Adala's world suddenly got very small.

Female pirates.

Female pirates.

Female pirates.

In all the stories about pirates she'd read the pirate in question always gave up his lecherous, illegal ways and became a proper nobleman for the woman he loved. Being pardoned for his crimes by saving a Great Lord or some such thing, she'd never heard of female pirates. That was- that was fantastic! Amazing! She had to meet one of them.

"Really?" she said, some of her excitement creeping into her voice. She tried to rein it back, to be composed and a proper noblewoman but female pirates! "Woman pirates, cousin? Are you sure you're not pulling my leg?" Hopefully that would encourage him to tell her everything he knew because she was going to learn everything there was about these pirates. This was a thing that was going to happen.

#6 Aaron Elariel

• Elariel Heir

House Raisaal
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:31 AM

Aaron smiled at Adala's enthusiasm. Her smile was certainly infectious. "While I would love to correct your cousin and make him look the fool, I am afraid he is unfortunately entirely unmistaken, for I have heard similar rumours myself." Idly, Aaron wondered it would be like to be a pirate. The weather down south was supposed to be pleasant, with ocean breezes, and tropical weather that made growing the fruit of the islands possible. And, most importantly, he would have no one to answer to, but his captain, of course. And why not be the captain? Daerra's voice seemed to whisper into his hear before he could ignore it. Honestly, did she have to ruin even the most innocent of fantasies?

"The Fathvells would be Luthadel's expert on the subject of course." Daerra had told Aaron all about Luthadel's newest arrival before they had even ascended. She was almost too prepared for her own good. "Being from the Southern Isles, they would have the most direct experience of anyone I know."

#7 Broderick Venture

Atium Chandelier
  • Age20

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusKnown

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:06 AM

"Aaron is quite right," Broderick said with a grin. It seemed like he had hit upon a winning topic of conversation, if Adala was eating it up and Aaron was joining in on the fun. "The Fathvells aren't allies of our house, but they aren't precisely enemies either; perhaps you could make friends with one of them and ask.

"Of course," he added, leaning forward slightly, "My own maternal aunt helps run this very theater. If it's pirate stories you're after, with no Fathvells conveniently lurking about, you've found the next best thing."

Posted Image

#8 Adala Venture

• Hopeless Romantic

Prelan
  • Age23

• OriginUrteau

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:58 AM

"Could you introduce me to one of them, at the Perrault Ball, cousin?" Adala asked, smiling, "I don't know how I can work woman pirates into polite conversation but I'll do my best!" She cocked her head a moment later, "Your maternal aunt?" Adala remembered that Broderick was Lady Rhea's son, "So she's from House Olliver?"

#9 Broderick Venture

Atium Chandelier
  • Age20

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusKnown

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:32 PM

Broderick nodded. "That's right," he said in answer to Adala's question. "Aunt Rowena is my Mother's younger sister; she married a fellow by the name of Bertrand Archambault, who helped found this place years ago. I've been coming here to see them since I was a boy." He smiled at the memories; there was a lot of mischief that a clumsy little boy could get into at a place like this.

"As for the Fathvells, I'm not particularly well acquainted with any of them, so it would be as much an introduction for me as it would for you. Aaron, you wouldn't happen to have any Fathvell friends hidden away in your pocket, would you?"

Posted Image

#10 Aaron Elariel

• Elariel Heir

House Raisaal
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:08 PM

"I've met a few of them, but am afraid that I am not familiar enough to make any sort of introductions." One of the benefits of being a neutral house, Aaron realized, was his ability to choose his own friends among the Great Houses without regard to their house allegiances. While members of House Elariel were encouraged not to favour too many members of a single house or alliance over another, as long as some sense of balance was maintained. Having lived with this freedom his entire life, Aaron often forgot how much of a privilege it really was, until he heard people like Broderick discussing house diplomacy before considering striking up a conversation.

"Many of the Fathvells are relatively new to Luthadel, and to the dominance, so it is likely they will be eager to make new acquaintances, even if your houses do not share allies."

#11 Adala Venture

• Hopeless Romantic

Prelan
  • Age23

• OriginUrteau

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:04 AM

These two were extremely unhelpful, Adala decided. How was she supposed to learn about pirates without making a spectacle of herself now? It would be hard enough working the question into conversation with a proper introduction, how was she supposed to do it without one? No matter, she would find away. This was important, after all.

"I will trust your judgement, Lord Aaron," she said, smiling, "Just point one of the Fathvells out to me, alright cousin?" she added, then looked out the window of the carriage, "We've been in here a while, are we almost to the theater?"

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users