The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
» Forum Rules
» The Story Thus Far
» Character Application
» Frequently Asked Questions
» Character System Guide
» Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
» The Three Metallic Arts
» Guide to the Final Empire
» Map of Luthadel
» The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
» Introduce Yourself
» Universal Continuity Thread
» The Timeline
» Adoptable Characters
» Wanted Characters
» Face Registry
» Open Threads List

Mistborn Series © Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

A Perfect Date

Private W2 D4 EA Caden Hasting Eliza Fathvell

28 replies to this topic

#21 Eliza Fathvell

• Daughter of Lord Fathvell

Atium Chandelier
  • Age19

• Relationship StatusCourting Caden Hasting

• OriginSouthern Islands

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:08 AM

What... what had just happened? Caden had seemed tense for a moment - and Eliza nearly fainted from forgetting to breathe - but suddenly, he relaxed. More so than she'd ever seen him, in fact. She knew he liked honesty, but she would have thought that if he ever chose to drop his guard with her, it would be something more deep and profound than a distaste for overly poofy skirts.

Still, who was she to complain? Sure, he had caught her off guard, but she liked this new gentleness he was showing her all of a sudden. There was a warmth to him that hadn't been there before, as if he had dropped a bit of that intimidating perfection and become more human.

Somehow, it made him even more perfect.

She must have looked like an idiot, smiling the way she was over talk of dresses and dance lessons - dance lessons! From Caden Hasting! - but she couldn't help herself. This moment was special, unexpected as it was, and she wanted to enjoy it for as long as she could.

In a dress shop.

With time constraints.

While she smiled at him like an idiot.

She was going to have to reply to him eventually, wasn't she?

Fortunately, her lapse in thought must have felt far longer than it actually was; when she started back to reality, it seemed like only a moment or two had passed. She was still smiling like an idiot, though.

"Fathvell does import a lot of silks and laces," she said at last. "I was never involved in that particular segment of the family business, so I wouldn't know where it all goes, but I suppose if you say it's possible, we might find someplace that offers more 'exotic' styled things."

But how would they find where those things were sold? It seemed rude, after all, to ask any of the people here where to find a different shop. Would the carriage driver know of a place? But why would he? He didn't need to go shopping for dresses.

Shopping was bloody hard. Good thing Caden was worth all this.

Posted Image

#22 Caden Hasting

• Potential Hasting Heir (Hasting Hottie)

House Raisaal
  • Age24

• Relationship StatusIn a Relationship with Eliza Fathvell

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:27 PM

How am I supposed to find a southern style tailor? Caden usually had servants choose potential outfits for him, only making the final decisions of what he wanted to wear himself, so he had very little knowledge of suppliers, or specialties.

Thinking on his feet, Caden waved over one of the tailors. Judging by the clothing, the man was a skaa, for even noble tailors would wear at least a colored vest to set them apart from their servants. The shop, however, seemed too fine to Caden's eye to be entirely run by a skaa crafts person. That meant this man was a worker, who would be more concerned with his own personal security and advancement, than the performance of the business.

"Skaa," Caden said, keeping his voice low. "Unfortunately, milady is not finding what she wants in your establishment. I, however, as a representative of House Hasting, would be happy to have one of your finest suits for the Deveaux ball next week, and would request you personally to do the measurements should your advice prove useful." The skaa tailor stiffened at the mention of House Hasting, and while his tone and posture were deferent, Caden could still see an increased eagerness to please.

"The lady requires dresses cut in the southern style. Do you know of any establishments which specialize in such fashions?"

The skaa nodded, and Caden took down directions on a piece of paper provided by the shop. While giving directions and names, the skaa kept looking warily over his shoulder, making sure no other workers, or his master, was near enough to hear him recommending another store, no doubt. Once he had the information he needed, Caden held up his hand in dismissal, and the skaa skulked off. He was a man of his owrd, and should the skaa's directions prove useful, he would send over his measurements with a request that the skaa take the file. If the suit that was provided was not in his taste, Caden was certain he had a lesser cousin or two near his size who would appreciate the finery.

"Well, Lady Eliza," Caden said with a smile, "It seems we may be in luck. Shall we go?"

#23 Eliza Fathvell

Atium Chandelier
  • Age19

• OriginSouthern Islands

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:52 PM

Eliza watched in awe as Caden smoothly and deftly secured directions to the shop they were looking for. He hadn't even needed time to think it over, and had managed to get what they wanted without ruffling any feathers. To Eliza, who had all the subtlety of a brick, it was a marvel to watch. Sure, she could think on her feet too, but with pirates, it was generally expected that you were going to ruffle some feathers, and have your own ruffled in return. It was just how things worked down south. Not so here.

Eliza nodded happily at Caden's proposal, and in short order, they were off. It was a surprisingly short distance to the shop the skaa had pointed them towards, but then, that probably shouldn't come as a huge surprise. Of course similar shops would want to group together, so they could try to outshine the competition.

It was abundantly clear from the moment they set foot in the new shop that this place did not cater to Luthadel tastes. It appeared that they were even deliberately playing up the Isles aesthetic in the decor of the shop itself, probably to appear more exotic to Luthadel eyes, but to Eliza, it felt like home. She could even smell hints of Isles perfume, more herbal and earthy than what Luthadel women favored with a hint of spice, clinging to the familiar silks and laces. Apparently the seamstresses here were just that dedicated to their chosen theme.

As the familiar sights and scents washed over her, Eliza felt herself relax in a way she hadn't even realized was possible. Lord Ruler, how had she lived this past year?

Well, on second thought, she supposed she hadn't, and that was the problem. Between pressure from her family and torment from Colette's circle, she hadn't really had a chance to get herself back on solid ground. She had been adrift at sea, clinging to a piece of driftwood, until Caden found her and offered her a breath of fresh air. Did he even realize what he had done for her? What this meant to her?

She would have to show him somehow. Well, if the change that had come over her when they walked in wasn't a dead giveaway.

"This place is like home away from home," she said happily. "My Lord Caden, welcome to a little piece of the Southern Islands."

Posted Image

#24 Caden Hasting

House Raisaal
  • Age24

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:30 AM

A curious smell seemed to waft through the air of the shop they entered. It was strange to Caden, yet it also felt familiar in some way. Caden had done some travelling around the southern dominance, observing the Hasting holdings there, and visiting House allies, but he had never found time to go holidaying like some of his peers. More exotic locales like the Terris Dominance, or the isles Eliza hailed from were complete mysteries to Caden. Almost as complete a mystery as she is, he thought to himself in amusement.

"Then I suppose it is fitting I feel a little like a koloss in the capital." Caden continued to look around the shop, taking in the décor. It wasn't totally foreign to him. The Isles were a part of the Final Empire after all, and they, like everyone, took their cues from the Lord Ruler. Familiar elements could thus be found here and there. They were just arranged in a totally different way then Caden was used to, as if the people of the Isles were trying to paint the same picture but from a different angle.

"I suppose I can't truly use that as an excuse though," he continued after a moment of thought. "I suspect I might feel the same way in any dress shop." As he spoke, Caden stepped up beside Eliza, inwardly marveling at how at home she seemed here. It was as if something had been missing and only now was found. Somehow the strange surroundings seemed to make a little more sense of her.

Eliza went to the shop owner, who started taking measurements. She seemed far more certain of herself now, and the process only lasted a few moments. Before Caden knew it, Eliza stepped behind a screen to try on the first of the owner's suggestions, while he waited on a nearby stool to give his opinion, or lack thereof.

"It must be hard," he said, feeling a need to fill the silence left as the owner bustled over to another customer. "Being so far from home. Do you miss them?"

#25 Eliza Fathvell

Atium Chandelier
  • Age19

• OriginSouthern Islands

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:21 AM

It was a strange feeling, disrobing in the same room as a man, with naught but a screen between them. Obviously Caden, being a gentleman, wouldn't even consider trying to peek, but that wasn't why Eliza felt like her face was on fire. It was the principle of the thing. Thankfully, Caden started talking to her, so she focused on the sound of his voice to keep her mind off her embarrassment.

"Always," she said, feeling a strange thrill at switching her Luthadel petticoats for the more liberating isles model, but the sudden realization of what she was doing while talking to Caden just made her embarrassed again, and it was a moment before she could speak again.

"It was everything I ever knew. "My whole life revolved around that place, and then one day I was picked up and shipped to Luthadel, which might as well be a different world. That one," she added to the shopkeeper, "Let me try that one." The silk rustled as she slipped it on over her head, and the shopkeeper began helping her with the buttons.

"I never even traveled all that far," she continued to Caden. "Port Tresteau once or twice, but I never really needed or wanted to go anywhere further. It was a nice life, but pretty poor preparation for coming here."

Posted Image

#26 Caden Hasting

House Raisaal
  • Age24

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:08 PM

"I must confess I have not travelled much either," Caden said, surprising himself with the candid disclosure. He was normally so careful about his words and actions, that it felt strange to converse so... instinctually.

"I mean, I've toured the southern dominance, or rather, I've been to the major cities, Austrex, Lansing, and Port Trestau, as well as some of the Hasting plantations." It was strange, despite his discomfort with admitting such a blind spot in his upbringing, around Eliza he felt none of the usual shame. Furthermore, where he would usually choose this moment to back pedal, Eliza's own show of vulnerability actually made him want to share more. The even more amazing thing that he already trusted her enough to do so. I'm in trouble.

Despite his inner worries, Caden could not bring himself to ruin the mood but shutting down conversation, and so he continued. "Those were all business trips though, so I never got the opportunity to really see the sights. Other than that, I have always been here in Luthadel. There have been opportunities I suppose. Pleasure trips to Tathingdwen, and the like, but it always seems like there is too much to attend to for me to even consider leaving." Realizing how he must sound to an adventurous spirit like Eliza, Caden let out an uncomfortable chuckle. Lord Ruler, do I feel flustered? "And now, you must think I am a humourless stickler who has no idea how to have any fun. Hopefully I shall be able to correct that particular misconception before the day is through."

#27 Eliza Fathvell

Atium Chandelier
  • Age19

• OriginSouthern Islands

Posted 08 September 2014 - 05:31 AM

Was it just her, or was Caden opening up to her more and more the longer they talked? Sure, it might just sound like he was making conversation, but the relaxed and downright candid way he was speaking was a far cry from the formal, polite address he had been using with her until very recently. What had triggered the change? Was this just part of the charming side of his she'd heard so much about? Somehow, she didn't think so. He was too polished under normal circumstances to relax this much just as part of some act. Not that he wasn't polished now, of course. Just... different.

Whatever the reason, though, she was happy for it. He was much easier to talk to this way, which was definitely a good thing when she was having a hard enough time remaining coherent around him. Just relax, Eliza. He's being so open with you, the least you can do is return the favor and make sense while doing it.

"I'm certainly happy to let you do so," she said as the seamstress continued to fasten the long row of tiny buttons that ran up the back of the gown, "but I don't think you're a stickler at all. You're just an incredibly busy and important man with too much to do and not enough time. You can't afford to let it get ahead of you." Even if he did try to escape - and Lord Ruler knew he needed a respite from Colette's torment - it would be tantamount to giving up his claim to the Hasting title. Colette would gain too much ground, and it would be over. Not that Eliza needed to point that out, of course. Caden probably knew that all too well, since he had, in fact, been living through this his entire life.

"Of course, I suppose you could technically choose to take a sabbatical anyways, but that doesn't strike me as something you'd do. You're too dedicated for that - even I can see it, and we've only just met. It's admirable, really." And Hasting was crazy for not seeing how he had dedicated his entire life to them. How much had he missed, just trying to prove himself?

Just then, though, her thoughts were interrupted by the seamstress's discreet notice that she had finished buttoning. Eliza took a deep breath and smoothed her skirts, almost nervous to turn around and see how the gown looked, though she already felt infinitely more comfortable in the familiar cut. She wasn't used to dressing up; she'd rarely needed to even in the Isles. And she'd certainly never cared about what men thought of how she looked, much less one particular man, but she was suddenly very much aware that she was wearing this dress specifically for him, so shouldn't she care this time? What would he think? Best to get her mind off it for now, she supposed; there was nothing for it but to just see for herself what would happen. "Perhaps after everything's taken care of," she suggested as she turned to face the mirror, "you'll have a chance to... to... um."

Eliza froze, staring at the mirror in awe. Looking back at her was a woman so familiar, and yet so foreign, that it took her breath away. After seeing Luthadel Eliza in the mirror every day, it was bizarre to see that girl's nervousness and insecurity weighing down a woman from the Isles. No, no, this was all wrong.

What the hell was wrong with her?

First of all, she wasn't dressing for Caden. She was dressing for a date with Caden, which was entirely different. The entire reason they were here was to make her comfortable, wasn't it? This was her dress, not his. Of course she still hoped he would like it, but she wasn't going to change her tastes for a man, and she was pretty sure that he wouldn't want her to anyway.

Second, that scared and insecure expression was completely and utterly wrong for an Isles woman. An Isles woman who held her ground against thieves and pirates, who couldn't be cowed by a knife to her throat, for the Lord Ruler's sake! And what had she learned in all those years of watching, and later dealing with, rogues and renegades?

If you're lacking the confidence you need, then fake it. It'll become real soon enough.

Smiling from the rush of confidence and relief that it almost made her giddy, she drew herself back up into her normal posture: shoulders back, head high, but still more relaxed than the prim and poised Luthadel noblewomen. She almost laughed when she spotted that old impish glint in her eyes. How long had it been since she saw that looking back at her?

This was the old Eliza. The real Eliza. The Eliza she wanted to be, and the one she wanted Caden to get to know. Sure, a part of her was nervous that he might be taken aback by the sudden change, but he had appreciated her honesty with him so far, so hopefully, he'd understand what had happened once she explained it to him. Hopefully.

The seamstress handed her a pair of long black gloves to try on with the dress, and it was only then that Eliza snapped out of her epiphany long enough to realize she'd already decided to buy this dress without even really looking at it. Oops. Maybe she should actually pay attention to little details like that.

The dress, not surprisingly, was perfect. Sleeveless, with a high collar that flared open into a sweetheart neckline, it was fitted snugly through the bust and waist before flaring out into a dramatic skirt that, while sleeker than the Luthadel variety, was comprised of at least as much fabric. With a fraction of the petticoats to get in her way, the skirt had a little bit of volume, accentuated her movements with a nice flourish, and most importantly, didn't get in her way. The fabric itself was perfect too: a lustrous, pale champagne decorated on the bodice and skirt with an intricate black lace that had most likely been handmade by the best craftswomen in the Isles. As was popular in the Isles right now, the gloves were not white, but black to both coordinate and contrast with her dress, and longer than the Luthadel variety, covering her arms almost to the shoulders. She didn't have any jewelry to wear with the outfit, but then, she didn't really need it. Isles dresses were designed to stand out on their own, without the need for extra ornamentation. After all, it was sometimes easier to just not ship jewelry to a place where pirates would just keep trying to steal it.

She didn't have to worry about pirates in Luthadel, of course, but her lack of ornamentation would certainly stand out among the glitz and glitter of Luthadel. Hopefully, she could keep hold of her newfound confidence well enough to actually pull it off.

Also, it felt like it had been forever since she trailed off and stopped talking. That probably wasn't the best idea, really. Personal revelations were important, but she also probably shouldn't be ignoring the person who had helped her achieve it. She was also going to have to come out from behind the screen and show him the dress sooner or later, or she'd be defeating the point of having put it on in the first place. I should probably just do it already, she told herself, and took a deep breath to settle those pesky nerves.

"It's, ah, a pretty big change," she warned Caden. "But I love it. I feel like me again. Well, I've always been me I guess, but I haven't felt right. And now I do. Does that sound weird? Anyways, here I come." And with that, she stepped out from behind the screen. It was a strange feeling, both exhilarating and terrifying, letting him see her this way. Would he get the wrong idea? Think that she was faking, or that she had been all along? Would finding herself result in her driving away the very person who'd given her the confidence she needed to accomplish this? There was only one way to find out.

"Lord Caden Hasting," she said with a nervous grin, "meet the real Eliza Fathvell. Well, the whole real me, anyways. I've been here all along, of course; I just needed a little push to find the rest again."

Posted Image

#28 Caden Hasting

House Raisaal
  • Age24

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 08 September 2014 - 06:51 PM

Eliza's silence following the completion of the fitting left Caden at a loss. Was she upset? Did the clothing make her miss home? Out of respect for whatever she was going through, Caden held his tongue, waiting patiently for her to emerge and continue the conversation.

"It's, ah, a pretty big change," she said, her voice sounding hesitant. "But I love it. I feel like me again. Well, I've always been me I guess, but I haven't felt right. And now I do. Does that sound weird? Anyways, here I come." And with that, she stepped out from behind the screen.

"Lord Caden Hasting," she said with a radiant grin, "meet the real Eliza Fathvell. Well, the whole real me, anyways. I've been here all along, of course; I just needed a little push to find the rest again."

At first, Caden's attention went to the dress, the alleged cause of the transformation Eliza spoke of. It was pretty, and he could see some of the details that differed from the Luthadel norm, but on the whole, it was just a dress. After spending most of his life attending balls and parties, Caden had seen a variety of ball gowns that pushed the boundaries of fashion, and among them this one was merely distinctive. While he suspected that there were finer details he was missing due to lack of experience, on the whole, the revelation of the gown was decidedly underwhelming.

The woman in the dress, however, was absolutely stunning.

He couldn't quite put his finger on what was different about her. It wasn't that she hadn't been intelligent, or gorgeous, or confident before. From the moment Caden had met her Eliza had been all of those things, and she still was, just more so. There was a relaxation in her assertive posture, and something in the way she now held herself that was so intrinsically Eliza, that Caden suddenly couldn't imagine her any other way.

"It is a pleasure to meet you, real Lady Eliza," he said slowly, trying to insert his feelings towards her into his words. "I think, that the Perraults are not going to know what hit them."

#29 Eliza Fathvell

Atium Chandelier
  • Age19

• OriginSouthern Islands

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:42 PM

Caden was looking at her differently. Why was he looking at her like that? Did he like what he saw? It certainly seemed that way, but she hadn't expected his reaction to be this profound. Just what was it he was seeing right now?

"It is a pleasure to meet you, real Lady Eliza," he said, and she found herself turning bright red at the way he was speaking to her. "I think, that the Perraults are not going to know what hit them."

For a moment, Eliza found herself unable to speak, or even think. He saw her. He saw her, not a fake or a liar or a fraud. He saw the real her, and understood. More than understood, he even seemed to like what she had shown him. Her smile became less nervous and more natural as relief washed over her, banishing the rest of her nervousness. But to hear Caden talk like that, in a voice like that, to her of all people, was almost more than she could comprehend, and it left her standing speechless, blushing and grinning at him like a lovestruck fool.

Love? Was that what this was? She wasn't sure yet, but whatever it was, it was strong enough to knock her right off her feet. I... am in very deep trouble. But somehow, despite knowing that, she didn't really care. Whatever it was they had right now, even if it was just her imagination, was worth the risk of a little heartbreak. But whatever happened in the future, she didn't need to worry about that right now. What she needed to do was just relax and enjoy this night, and this moment.

"I should hope," she said with a smirk once she could speak again, "that I won't need to hit anyone this time. I'd hate to turn that into some sort of trend, wouldn't you?"

That... was not very romantic at all. But it was all she could think of, and it would be better to make him smile than to totally ruin the moment altogether. Wouldn't it?

Posted Image

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users