The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

A Fan of Smoke

closed Winston Elariel Lorena Elariel W2 D3 EV

37 replies to this topic

#1 Winston Elariel

• Elariel Spy

Steward in Training
  • Age18

• Relationship StatusSingle

• OriginTremredare

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:55 PM

He mentally reviewed his instructions, comparing them to his cursory knowledge of the layout of this floor. Back in Tremredare there had been so much more space, for everything. Here in Luthadel buildings went vertically to gain as much space as possible, and still it seemed as if there was not enough space.

The smallish single room that he currently lived in on the floor below seemed to pale in comparison to the rooms here on the third floor which appeared to be more like large suites. Still it was not as large as Lord Aaron's chambers, but as he continued to move along the hall he mentally compared the distance between each of the doors and realize that the distance between doors in general was getting larger.

He finally arrived at the door in question, and knocked. Hollow thuds echoing through the large suite on the other side of the door. Well suite that was significantly larger than his own. How important is this Lady Lorena? Winston thought to himself.

Upon the lack of an answer he decided to wait, it seemed likely that Lady Lorena was not in given that the fourth tier was served dinner not long ago. Winston pulled a notebook and pen out and started compiling his notes from the day, keeping an eye on the traffic in the halls.

Edited by Lanscaper, 17 January 2014 - 11:07 PM.

#2 Lorena Elariel

• Noble Smoker

Prelan
  • Age16

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusHidden

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:58 PM

Lorena was in a bad mood. She'd been trying to talk to her parents all night about tomorrow's ball, but of course they'd been more interested in her brother managing to eat "all by himself" than their daughter's damned debut.

Ugh stupid little cretin. she thought, stomping her way to her room, Enjoy your time in the limelight while you can, Edric. I'm going to make Mother and Father forget all about your stupid face. She was so busy imagining her stupid little brother's crying face that she almost ran into a man standing outside her family's room.

She drew back and studied the man, and was confused when she didn't recognize him, she made a point to recognize everyone in the Elariel Keep. It was good to know who was who, after all. He seemed like an Elariel though, so who was this mystery man, and why was he writing notes in his book without looking at it?

"Excuse me, sir." She said politely, wishing she had her fan to cover the lower half of her face, "Did you need something from my parents?" As important as Lorena undoubtedly was, this man was more likely to want her parents than herself. That would change in due time of course, but better not to seem too full of herself, pride was a deadly thing to show.

#3 Winston Elariel

• Elariel Spy

Steward in Training
  • Age18

• OriginTremredare

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:01 PM

Parents? Winston thought for a moment. Was someone playing games with him? All Winston knew was the name of the Smoker, and their room location.

"Perhaps, could you let me know where I could find a, Lorena Elariel?" Winston replied politely.

#4 Lorena Elariel

• Noble Smoker

Prelan
  • Age16

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:06 PM

Lorena wanted to laugh in triumph. Someone wanted to see her. This was amazing, this was the best, why was she even surprised?

"I am Lorena Elariel, good sir, might I know who you are?" she said, the picture of a demure noblewoman. It was an effort to keep a feral grin from spreading across her face, but she managed it wonderfully, keeping her face neutral and polite.

Edited by Noelle, 16 January 2014 - 11:07 PM.

#5 Winston Elariel

• Elariel Spy

Steward in Training
  • Age18

• OriginTremredare

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:09 PM

Winston took a second glance at the young girl that stood before him. She was the Smoker. Winston took the opportunity to burn tin to bring everything clear detail.

She was decent at hiding her emotions was the first thing that he noticed. Not excellent, but it would pass for someone her age. He could tell that she carried herself with a certain level of arrogance, that she had pride. Still that conflicted with the obvious joy that she was being sought after. Which was a bit odd as In his experience the arrogant expected to be sought after. He would have to establish a baseline for her emotions later.

“My name is Winston Elariel, Lady Lorena.” He withdrew the coded script that he had received minutes earlier presenting it to her, putting his notebook and pen away. “Here are the orders for your next assignment.”

#6 Lorena Elariel

• Noble Smoker

Prelan
  • Age16

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:10 PM

Winston Elariel, she recognized the name, if not the face. Lord Aaron's assistant, and a new arrival to Luthadel. He was a 5th tier Elariel and Lorena was still at a loss to explain how he had managed such a high ranking position. Yes he was apparently quite skilled at whatever he did, although exactly what he did Lorena had not been able to find out just yet, she knew he had to be a Misting of some kind, no ordinary 5th tier would be an assistant to someone like Lord Aaron.

She read the coded papers and she had to keep from laughing, her first mission! This was splendid! While he might be a 5th tier he was at least important. Lorena was being given the chance to prove herself, that was the best!

"Do you... know the extent of my abilities, Lord Winston?" she asked innocently, it wouldn't due to show too much pride at the moment, but this man would know that he had gotten the best of the best.

#7 Winston Elariel

• Elariel Spy

Steward in Training
  • Age18

• OriginTremredare

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:10 PM

Winston could see her visibly bubbling with glee, despite her very good attempts to contain it. He wasn't sure where his baseline for her emotional state was going to lead him, at least not yet.

"Perhaps we should step inside your chambers?" Winston replied quietly. "I believe that such things are best discussed with closed doors." Winston gestured to the people passing in the halls on their way back from dinner.

#8 Lorena Elariel

• Noble Smoker

Prelan
  • Age16

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:11 PM

"Of course," she said, and her smile was sincere. She had a mission, an important mission, this was the best!

She opened the door and gestured him inside, once he was there she started explaining herself, "My coppercloud is roughly twice the size as is normal, meaning we do not have to associate too closely for you to be safely Smoked."

#9 Winston Elariel

• Elariel Spy

Steward in Training
  • Age18

• OriginTremredare

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:11 PM

Interesting Winston thought to himself.

"What size exactly would that be in distance?"

#10 Lorena Elariel

• Noble Smoker

Prelan
  • Age16

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:12 PM

Lorena smiled, she knew something this Winston didn't, wonderful. "A thirty five foot radius, thirty seven if I flare."

#11 Winston Elariel

• Elariel Spy

Steward in Training
  • Age18

• OriginTremredare

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:12 PM

Ten feet more that cousin Winston. That was impressive, although not truly double, at least in his experience.

"Good, shall we work out spotting and signals then?"

#12 Lorena Elariel

• Noble Smoker

Prelan
  • Age16

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:13 PM

"Of course," she said, hiding her annoyance that he had not exclaimed over how large her coppercloud was. She was used to people being more impressed.

#13 Winston Elariel

• Elariel Spy

Steward in Training
  • Age18

• OriginTremredare

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:13 PM

Winston noticed the change in Lorena, the irritation, the resentment that stemmed from her annoyance at something that he had done. Of course he had just as much luck figuring that out as any other male would. None.

Winston continued on, hoping that continuing the conversation would perhaps ease whatever it was that he had done. "Lady Lorena, do you have any experience with spotting and signals? I believe that we should work using the system that you are most familiar with." Winston kept a steady gaze on her, keeping his tin at a regular even burn. "Would that be to your satisfaction?"

#14 Lorena Elariel

• Noble Smoker

Prelan
  • Age16

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:14 PM

Lorena crossed her arms, "The system I am most familiar with involves fans, I don't think that will be helpful in this situation."

#15 Winston Elariel

• Elariel Spy

Steward in Training
  • Age18

• OriginTremredare

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:14 PM

Winston stared at the girl. Fans? That was a rather...obscure system. Winston knew a couple systems that other houses, and a few girls within his own house used signals based off of fans. But the Lady Lorena was correct that it would not do for a man such as himself to use fans.

"Lady Lorena, are there any other objects or articles that you keep on your person normally? We could use that to create a signal system." Winston paused, "Or should we go with a conductor system? If you were the conductor you could use the fans."

Edited by Lanscaper, 16 January 2014 - 11:15 PM.

#16 Lorena Elariel

• Noble Smoker

Prelan
  • Age16

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:15 PM

"I would prefer the conductor system." She said, "So I don't have to learn an entirely now system within a day." It meant he would of course, but surely someone who was assistant to a 1st tier Elariel would be able to manage that. Lorena could too, she just didn't want too.

Edited by Noelle, 16 January 2014 - 11:15 PM.

#17 Winston Elariel

• Elariel Spy

Steward in Training
  • Age18

• OriginTremredare

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:15 PM

"Of course Lady Lorena." Winston acquieced. "Would you mind running me through your number system first?"

#18 Lorena Elariel

• Noble Smoker

Prelan
  • Age16

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:17 PM

Lorena went over and picked up her second favorite fan, it had mists as its pattern, she always felt it was appropriate for her. Turning to face Winston she opened the fan and held it in front of her face, "Each open slat represents a number." She closed it partially so only three slats were visible, "This is three." She opened it slightly, adding two slats, "This is five." She opened the fan up fully, "This is ten, and this" she waved the fan once, "is one hundred."

#19 Winston Elariel

• Elariel Spy

Steward in Training
  • Age18

• OriginTremredare

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:17 PM

Winston watched every minute motion that she made, watching as refined and practiced muscles confidently controlled the fan. Winston nodded, deciding to press on.

"And what about directions, and unit of measurement?" Winston continued, "I believe that we only need to establish those, the rest of the system can wait for another day as we are short on time to prepare and understand the nuances."

Edited by Lanscaper, 16 January 2014 - 11:18 PM.

#20 Lorena Elariel

• Noble Smoker

Prelan
  • Age16

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:20 PM

"I point in the direction with my fan," she said, wasn't that obvious? "As for unit of measurements we use paces. So roughly three feet, to distinguish time and distance you just look at what side of the fan is open." She spun it around so the other side of her fan was showings, it was the same as the first side, except the colors were inverted. Easy enough to tell apart. "Time." She said helpfully, and turned the fan around, "Distance."

"The signal is when I close and open my fan like so," she closed the fan with a snap, and then opened it slowly, fanning her face precisely three times with it.

She realized something then, and couldn't help but tap her fan against her chin in thought, "You know, Lord Winston, you have not told me what type of Misting you are, and yet you already know I am a Smoker. I am at a disadvantage," She gave him her most charming smile and fluttered her lashes, "Might you fix that for me?"

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users