The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Grandell Cobalt 2.0(Mozy Version)

11 replies to this topic

#1 MozytheHealer

Posse Member

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:04 AM

I didn't really make many changes to Tal's original character, but I'm just interested now in what you guys think. :{D

Grandell Cobalt
Bronze Dancer

Posted Image

Name/Handle: Mozy
Contact: PM(which, honestly, could stand for a lot of things…)

Posted Image

Name: Grandell Cobalt-pronounced with a Scottish ‘r’ and nicknamed Ell
Type: Noble
Place of Origin: Luthadel
Occupation: Dance tutor, choreographer. Works with her twin, Lysentella. She specializes in dance theory and history.
Relationship Status: Single

Posted Image

Type of Powers: Misting
Metals Used: Bronze
Degree of Skill: Intermediate
Special Skills: Grandell and Lysentella have discovered that they can use their bronze (by flaring it) to signal each other short, set and known messagaes. This is very impractical most of the time, except for an SOS or something similar.

Posted Image

Grandell has the distinct body of a life-long dancer. She is flat, both in her stomach and in... other places, but the muscles she'd developed over the ages are visible just the slightest to the eye. Most notably obvious - although even those need to be intentionally looked for - are the muscles of her back, calf, and biceps.

Her nose is narrow and tall over her small, shy mouth. She is usually observing the social interactions she goes to with her eyes of obsidian black. Grandell's hair is a slightly curly, dark, chestnut brown, framing a face slightly round and falling down a long neck to the bottom of her shoulder-blades.

Grandell is tall enough to look a Terris stewardess in the eyes, and can be found intimidating per her stature. Due to her dancing background she never slouches and always has the best posture, which accents her height.

Posted Image

Grandell is shy, and much prefers observing a social interaction than actively participating in it. Most of the time, she is quiet, letting her little sister speak. However, when speaking to Lysentella, she has a free tongue, and could open anything to discussion, including the looks of the woman she fancies or the smell of the gentleman she just danced with. She is introverted, but only when around people she doesn’t know. Once comfortable, she can talk your ears off.

She is a smart woman and a lightening fast reader. It is almost as if she inhales books and knowledge. She is always looking for something new to read, and has almost every book in the Cobalt library memorized.

Grandell is capable of wit and observational humour. She is pessimistic at times, and her grasp of politics is far above her participation in it. She believes that it is better to be prepared for anything, and so she keeps a knife in a pocket that is hidden within the folds of her skirt. Grandell is socially awkward when she is not around her sister, and that comes out the most at balls. She gets nervous when a conversation dies.

Like all Cobalts, she easily forgets the bad parts of her relationships with others, and perceives the world as much more utopian than it is. When people talk of discord, it unsettles her. She does, however, have a good memory and will remember promises and ideas, even if they were said in jest. Because of this she gets disappointed by other people’s lack of sense when it comes to promising things.

Posted Image

Special Skills: Flexible fighting style, reading, writing, memory.
Strengths: Capable in using her body, although to a much lesser extent than her sister, she has the athletic and toned body of a dancer. Highly intelligent, and with a capable memory, knows a bit of everything, including fighting theory and strategy. Grandell is left-handed.
Weaknesses: Extremely shy, and without Lysentella, she can be socially disabled. Not appreciated for her intelligence, because of that.

Posted Image

In 892, Grandell and Lysentella were born to Keradin, the first child of Willow, the house's head, and his wife, Keren. Being a male descendant, Keradin was never meant to inherit.

In 893, both were killed by a skaa rebellion teeing to take over Luthadel's outskirts. The twins were kidnapped, but the obligator who found the lair discovered it empty, except for them. It was noted in the inquisitorial files that they both had makeup on their foreheads, imitating lightning-shaped scars. They were scared to death. That was when they snapped, though it went unnoticed for some time.

The two were transferred to Melissa Cobalt, the heiress, who adopted them and raised them as her own, almost. Her first brother, Karn, was born when she was three. By the age of four, Grandell was already reading fluently. By the age of six, she had devoured three heavy, analytical texts, although all were quite short. For that reason, she was practically raised by Venn, the family terrisman steward.

From the very young age of eight, Grandell - by her own choice, and following her sister's choice - taught Karn some of the art of using your intelligence. She slowly took over much of his tutoring.

Then came the snapping time. Grandell and Lysentella were taken to the unclaimed hills where the snapping occurred, only to realise, minutes before they could be deployed, that the burning feeling in their stomachs was not only because of the hot drinks, and that the waves pulsing past them were not late-acting sleep deprivation from the trip. They were pulled off the trip and the family had a Seeker check to make sure they are not trying to avoid their snapping.

Then it changed. This was, to their family, like a declaration that they need to work as a team. They forced Grandell to join her twin in dancing, which became fighting as well.

Two years later, she had taken Coralle as her new pupil. Coralle still bonded stronger with Lysentella, just like her brother had. When Karn fell into his pit of misery, he drove Coralle to become more akin to Grandell. More quiet, more reserved. Some said she became a lifeless.

Grandell and Lysentella were introduced to court in a very late age - 21, just one year before Coralle's introductions. This was a very anxious part of her life, and she struggled, for a few months, to not curl up in the vast libraries of her youth and read to death.

When Lyssie started courting barely two weeks into court, Grandell was surprised. The first serious guy Lysentella had did not last long. He dumped Lysentella and she was, for a short time, broken, although she did not stop going to balls. Only five months in, and already a serious breakup. That, Grandell did not expect of her sister.

The second one to court Lyssie, who came a mere three months after the breakup, was something else entirely. The courtship was, initially, arranged. Grandell saw the use, but did not like the fact that her sister was dating a man she did not like. Slowly, the two grew on each other, but they had to break up, because the two houses grew apart, and the two were separated by the force. Lyssie was devastated. By that time, Coralle had been in court for a month or two.

After that, followed a strange time. Lyssie became seclusive, and barely went to balls. However stressful this was for her, Grandell went on, as part of her duty to diplomatics. She met that scholar who used to date Lyssie, and connected with him very deeply. They exchanged ideas and kisses, and she was happy. When she discovered he only dated the sisters for their looks, and that he left Lyssie after one month because he became bored of her, the arguements started. Then they parted, and both were without boyfriends.

Grandell decided after that that she didn’t really want to court anyone else. Not yet, anyways. She continued to watch her sister recover from her breakup and move onto a third guy. She really wasn’t sure how she felt about Lissie moving so quickly from one man to the next. She would gain a bad reputation this way. Then came the affair and the breakup and Grandell did her best to comfort Lissie. Grandell told Lissie that maybe it was time to take a break, but then, much to soon, she started courting another. This one seemed nice, but also a little oblivious and he had a habit of irritating people. Grandell saw that counseling Lissie on this part of her life was just not going to work and stopped.

Posted Image

(A scene from this character's viewpoint. Take care in picking a scene. It could be a scene from the past or it could happen practically during current events. In any case, write something important to the character so everyone can truly feel the character)

Edited by MozytheHealer, 30 January 2014 - 05:05 AM.

PCs:

Delve, Silvan Calomine, Zella Calomine, Liss

Renette Deveaux, Marceline Dumont

Isabelle Sureau, Gisela Sureau,

Adalaide Getrue, Oliver Martel,

Grandell Tekiel, Yvette Valcier,

Katryn Domaille

WIPs:

Ranee, Delacey,

Theodoric Getrue, Kyl,

Vanessa Venture, Cedric Hallieau

Cordelia Morel, Kennith Fathvell

NPCs:

Issa Calomine, Randall Scanlan

#2 Tal Spektor

Skaa

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:11 PM

Hey, nice progress. I think I already told you that by, pm, but it never hurts to check.
Is an insane A.I.

#3 Noelle

Prelan

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:14 AM

Ok here's what popped out at me

.5) What is a scottish r?
1) Terriswomen are not naturally tall like their Terrismen counterparts because they are not eunuchs which is what causes the Terrismen heights, so the statement "She can look a Terris stewardess in the eye" makes little sense.
2) Her personality doesn't flow that well, you jump from topic to topic and the different traits don't flow into each other that well making it a choppy read.
3) It is an arduous undertaking to memorize a single book, even if it is short. So I find it highly unlikely, if not impossible, for Grandell to have memorized and entire library of books, especially when we're talking about a house as wealthy as the Cobalts. Perhaps say she has read all the books in the library, because that is still impressive.
4) Being left handed is not a strength
5) Her weaknesses need to be expanded upon. Currently it's just "She's socially awkward without her sister" and the vague thing mention of not being appreciated for being intelligent which isn't really a weakness at all. Also explain why she's socially awkward without her twin. Is Lysentella a anchor for her, like Gisela was for Niklaus? Or is it something else?
6) There's a typo in the second paragraph of the history, what does teeing mean?
7)

The two were transferred to Melissa Cobalt, the heiress, who adopted them and raised them as her own, almost. Her first brother, Karn, was born when she was three.
Please revise this sentence because the Her in the second sentence is ambiguous are we talking about Melissa or Grandell?
8) I don't see why her love of reading meant she was practically raised by a Terrisman steward. I mean if Melissa was especially busy with... heir things, then I could understand it, but not just a love of reading.
9)

From the very young age of eight, Grandell - by her own choice, and following her sister's choice - taught Karn some of the art of using your intelligence. She slowly took over much of his tutoring.
I don't understand what this sentence is trying to say, but I know that an eight year old would not be able to replace adult tutors as her brother's tutor, no matter how intelligent she was.
10) I'm sure that the girls would have burned trace amounts of bronze at some point in their lives, it's hard to think they went years with never burning bronze and then, considering how intelligent they're said to be, not realize what it is.
11)

Then it changed. This was, to their family, like a declaration that they need to work as a team. They forced Grandell to join her twin in dancing, which became fighting as well.
Then what changed? And why would both of them being Seekers mean they have to work as a team? I mean I don't see how having two Seekers in a situation would be advantageous, or why you would want to risk your Seekers in a fight, or how dancing leads into fighting.
12)

Two years later, she had taken Coralle as her new pupil. Coralle still bonded stronger with Lysentella, just like her brother had. When Karn fell into his pit of misery, he drove Coralle to become more akin to Grandell. More quiet, more reserved. Some said she became a lifeless.

Alright there's a few problems with this paragraph, to start with Grandell is still sort of young to be tutoring people in place of, you know, tutors, also who is Coralle? I had to dig through the applications forum to find out she was, in fact, Melissa's daughter because no where in Grandell's history is her birth mentioned. Everything that pertains to this character, and that includes the birth of her cousin if she plays a role in her character, needs to be on this application. Also what pit of misery? Not only do those sentences not flow together but I don't know what pit of misery Karn is supposed to be falling in, what happened to him? Finally there is a typo in the last sentence.
13)

Grandell and Lysentella were introduced to court in a very late age - 21, just one year before Coralle's introductions. This was a very anxious part of her life, and she struggled, for a few months, to not curl up in the vast libraries of her youth and read to death.
21 is much too late to be introduced to society, that's years they missed out on forming contacts, trying to find a husband, and discovering information for their House, which is very important because Cobalt is trying to ascend. Also the second sentence is ambiguous as to who "she" is, is it Grandell or Coralle?
14) The whole bit where Lysentella starts dating all the men is very confusing, because you use three different ways of addressing Lysentella, and it's also really kind of, well, mean, of Grandell to date the man her sister dated, like why would she want to do that?

There might be some stuff I missed but those were the main points.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 MozytheHealer

Posse Member

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:24 AM

Woohoo! Thankie! I'm attempting to write while using the original material that Tal wrote, so it's definitely more difficult than my other characters. I may, perhaps, get a doc going and you can come help over there. It would definitely be easier there, and you could give me the smaller feedback too. :{D

Ha. The last paragraph...I just got confused. Lysentella and Liss+my brain=confusionnnnn

Edited by MozytheHealer, 03 March 2014 - 04:49 AM.

PCs:

Katryn Domaille

WIPs:

Ranee, Delacey,

Theodoric Getrue, Kyl,

NPCs:

#5 Tal Spektor

Skaa

Posted 03 March 2014 - 06:09 AM

Many of those mistakes and mis-whatevers that make the app worse than it could be... They are mine. Sorry.

I have answers to some of the questions, though.
Is an insane A.I.

#6 MozytheHealer

Posse Member

Posted 03 March 2014 - 02:40 PM

Pm them to me. I'ma do a full rewrite.

PCs:

Katryn Domaille

WIPs:

Ranee, Delacey,

Theodoric Getrue, Kyl,

NPCs:

#7 Comatose

• Shard of Brain Inactivity

House Raisaal

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:15 PM

I agree with Noelle's specific points, and since you are still editing I'll refrain from going over them again. One thing I would try to keep in mind while rewriting is to think of the sisters as distinct characters rather than as a set, so that you can give an impression of what they will be like when not together. It's fine for them to have similarities and contrasts, but they should be more than that.

Secondly mashing together an old app with new ideas can be very difficult so if you are not already doing so, and it is okay with both you and Tal, it might be a good idea to make a list if what you want to keep and then do a complete rewrite to prevent some of the confusion and flow issues this application seems to be having.

Posted Image

#8 MozytheHealer

Posse Member

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:00 PM

I'm currently doing a full rewrite, and Tal and I are going over pieces of their history. They're gonna have debuted earlier and stuff.

PCs:

Katryn Domaille

WIPs:

Ranee, Delacey,

Theodoric Getrue, Kyl,

NPCs:

#9 Tal Spektor

Skaa

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:02 PM

Also, depending on the responses of other players, TONS OF AWESOMENESS!!!
Is an insane A.I.

#10 MozytheHealer

Posse Member

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:52 PM

Yes. Hopefully. Awesomeness shall ensue anyways, but more so if our plans work out. Or, really, it would more be awkwardness...

PCs:

Katryn Domaille

WIPs:

Ranee, Delacey,

Theodoric Getrue, Kyl,

NPCs:

#11 MozytheHealer

Posse Member

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:40 AM

I've got everything rewritten except for her history. :{D

Grandell Cobalt

Bronze Dancer

Posted Image

Posted Image

Name: Grandell Cobalt-nicknamed Ell
Occupation: Dance tutor, choreographer. Works with her twin, Lysentella. She specializes in dance theory and history.

Posted Image

Metals Used: Bronze

Posted Image

Grandell has the distinct body of a life-long dancer. She has little figure, which is only one of the results of the dancing. The muscles she'd developed over the ages are quite visible, but occasionally hidden by her dresses. However, some of her dresses are built specifically to get out of the when she’s dancing, which reveals the tree-trunk like muscles in her legs, and her tighter bodices and sleeves occasionally reveal her abs and shoulder muscles.

Her nose is narrow, and her face is long and thin. In fact, her whole body looks as if it has been stretched. Grandell is tall enough to look a Terris stewardess in the eyes, and can be found intimidating per her stature. Due to her dancing background she never slouches and always has the best posture, which accents her height. Her hair is long, and wavy. It grows curlier at the ends, and frames her face beautifully. Her eyes are dark and big, and she uses her makeup to bring them out. She is left-handed.

Posted Image

Grandell is primarily a shy person, due to moderate social anxiety. She enjoys watching conversations, but has a hard time finding things to say when people talk to her. Most of the time she lets Lysentella do the talking. However, though she is shy, when she becomes comfortable with a certain group of people, or a certain person, she can talk their ears off. Because she is so quiet, she is often overlooked, despite her intelligence. Grandell takes it personally when people make promises, or joke about ideas, and never go through with them. It bothers her that some people can talk so much, and then never act, which only makes her anxiety worse, as she can never tell when she should try to help plan something.

Grandell has a photographic memory, and is a lightening fast reader. Though she is a dancer, she wishes that she could be a scholar instead. She has always been more interested in inhaling books than she has been in dancing. She has read most of the books in the Cobalt library, and can visualize almost every page.

Like most Cobalts, she forgets the bad parts of her relationships easily. She dislikes fighting, and chaos. She finds it unsettling to think that parts of the empire could be so consumed in pain and struggling, though she thinks of those parts as being far away, and not in Luthadel.

Posted Image

Strengths: Grandell is incredibly intelligent, and remembers anything that she’s ever read. She’s an adept dancer, having trained at it for most of her life, as well as a scholar. She is also a rather good fighter, when she has to be.
Weaknesses: Grandell is extremely shy, and feels awkward without Lysentella, who has always been the one who initiates conversation with people they don’t know. She has a hard time differentiating between jokes and serious conversation. She also suffers from some anxiety, which increases during her time of the month.

Edited by MozytheHealer, 05 March 2014 - 05:41 AM.

PCs:

Katryn Domaille

WIPs:

Ranee, Delacey,

Theodoric Getrue, Kyl,

NPCs:

#12 MozytheHealer

Posse Member

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:51 AM

Grandell Cobalt
Brass Dancer

Posted Image

Posted Image

Name: Grandell Cobalt-pronounced with a Scottish ‘r’ and nicknamed Ell

Posted Image

Metals Used: Brass
The twins have a signalling system that is based on allomancy. This involves Grandell flaring her Brass and calming it, making signals which can be deciphered by Lyssentella. These include:

The triple flare - Wilor's being an idiot/ass/flirty with someone
Flare, none, none, flare flare - I need help/someone’s talking to me
Two short flares - Emergency

Posted Image

Grandell has the distinct body of a life-long dancer. She has little figure, which is only one of the results of the dancing. The muscles she'd developed over the ages are quite visible, but occasionally hidden by her dresses. However, some of her dresses are built specifically to get out of the when she’s dancing, which reveals the tree-trunk like muscles in her legs, and her tighter bodices and sleeves occasionally reveal her abs and shoulder muscles.

Her nose is narrow, and her face is long and thin. In fact, her whole body looks as if it has been stretched. Grandell is tall enough to look a Terris stewardess in the eyes, and can be found intimidating per her stature. Due to her dancing background she never slouches and always has the best posture, which accents her height. Her hair is long, and wavy. It grows curlier at the ends, and frames her face beautifully. Her eyes are dark and big, and she uses her makeup to bring them out. She is left-handed.

Posted Image

Grandell is primarily a shy person, due to social anxiety, and people often forget about her. She enjoys watching conversations, but has a hard time finding things to say when people talk to her. Most of the time she lets Lysentella do the talking. However, though she is shy, when she becomes comfortable with a certain group of people, or a certain person, she can talk their ears off. Because she is so quiet, she is often overlooked, despite her intelligence. Grandell takes it personally when people make promises, or joke about ideas, and never go through with them. It bothers her that some people can talk so much, and then never act, which only makes her anxiety worse, as she can never tell when she should try to help plan something.

Grandell has a photographic memory, and is a lightening fast reader. Though she is a dancer, she wishes that she could be a scholar instead. She has always been more interested in inhaling books than she has been in dancing. She has read most of the books in the Cobalt library, and can visualize almost every page.

Like most Cobalts, she forgets the bad parts of her relationships easily. She dislikes fighting, and chaos. She finds it unsettling to think that parts of the empire could be so consumed in pain and struggling, though she thinks of those parts as being far away, and not in Luthadel.

She has quite a few coping mechanisms in place to help with her anxiety. One of them is the alert system she has set up with Lyssentella. The other is her habit of soothing young men to get them to not want to dance with her. This one was developed earlier than the alert system, as it worked for a while. It didn’t stop people from talking to her, however, which is why she suggested the alert system.

Posted Image

Strengths: Grandell is incredibly intelligent, and remembers anything that she’s ever read. She’s an adept dancer, having trained at it for most of her life, as well as a scholar. She is also a rather good fighter, when she has to be.
Weaknesses: Grandell is extremely shy, and feels awkward without Lysentella, who has always been the one who initiates conversation with people they don’t know. She has a hard time differentiating between jokes and serious conversation. She also suffers from anxiety, which increases during her time of the month. At these periods of increased anxiety, she is also paranoid.

Posted Image

Grandell Cobalt was born in 893, almost an hour after her sister Lysentella. Her parents, Keradin and Keren Cobalt, were excited to have daughters as that would put the girls in line of succession. Keradin himself was the first son of Willow, the Head of House Cobalt, and was denied the right to inherit due to his gender. They loved their daughters and were happy, but that was unfortunately not going to last.

When they were two, their family was attacked by a rebel group that was trying to take control of the Luthadel outskirts. Their parents were killed and the two girls were kidnapped. When they were found, it was clear that the rebellion had abandoned the children. They were scared to death and half starved. While they were recovering, it was brought to the attention of the family that a trauma such as that would, in normal cases, caused the children to Snap. They were tested immediately upon their complete recovery, and Grandell Snapped as a Soother. Grandell barely remembers any of this, though the fear is one of her earliest memories.

After they had recovered, they were informally adopted by Lady Melissa Cobalt, who was the current heir and their aunt. She had no children of her own at the time, though it was rumoured that she would be expecting a child shortly. Late in the year 895, a little over half a year after the attack, Melissa Cobalt had a son named Karn Cobalt. Grandell doesn’t remember it, but she has a feeling that she didn’t mind having a brother, even if they were biologically cousins.

As she grew older, Grandell became more articulate. She was more talkative, and less afraid of people than she would grow up to be. She was also bossy. She learned how to read at four, forcing the family steward to teach her by shoving a book in his face and demanding that he show her how. At that point she spoke better than most four year olds, but still had some trouble with making her words make sense, so it took him a minute to figure out what she wanted. “How does a book work?” She asked him, having run off to the library to hide from Karn, who was throwing a tantrum. He had frowned a little. She had noticed it, but not thought it odd. “How does a book work? I wanna know what a book does.” She pulled herself onto his lap and pushed a book in his face. “Show me.”

Venn twitched an eyebrow, as if amused, and picked her up so that he could pull a different book off the shelf. “I doubt I can show you with that book.”

Grandell frowned at him. “Show me with the book I want. I don’t want your book. And then you will show Lyssie too.”

The book that Grandell has picked out was a large, dense philosophical text full of huge words and phrases that she had never heard before and after half-an-hour of trying to decipher it, Grandell got frustrated. She expressed her frustration silently, refusing to keep trying to read, until she finally gave in. “I don’t like this book. Get me another one.”

Venn picked her up, off his lap, again, and selected a book that was more the level of someone wishing to learn how to read. That went much better, and when the family finally found Grandell, she had gotten through about ten pages of the book without any abnormal difficulty.

By the time she was six, Grandell read like a normal adult. She devoured books, and began to hide in the library more and more. She was being trained in using brass, now that she was old enough to understand, and Melissa was expecting another child. Karn had grown a little, but was still overwhelmingly energetic, and Lyssie didn’t always understand that Grandell needed her space. In these moments she fled to the library, curling up in one of the huge armchairs with a book until people forgot about her. It worked, and Grandell was glad of it.

Sometimes Venn would arrive to the library when she was there, but he rarely spoke to her. He seemed to understand why she spent so much time curled up so that no one could see her. She would talk to him occasionally, asking about some philosophical point that she didn’t understand, but she enjoyed it that he didn’t force her to talk to him. Adults could be so demanding, and all the talking tired her out.

When Coralle Cobalt was born, Grandell became more reserved, and almost anxious. The arrival of a fourth child in the family not only took away the attention of the adults in her life, but Lyssie and Karn were already such lively children, and demanding of the attention as well, that Grandell made herself small and forgettable. The amount of time she could spend in the library, hiding from her lessons and her allomancy, increased greatly, and Venn had begun to teach her other things.

Grandell had a basic knowledge of mathematics, philosophical theory, and some knowledge of rhetoric. She was an incredibly talented, and intelligent child, but all that was overshadowed by her growing fear of social interaction and, by extension, her lack of skill with allomancy. She got the theory and the basics of soothing emotions, but didn’t have the skill with people to do it. She didn’t spend enough time around people to be learning how to read emotions, and to be able to tell what to sooth.

Now that they were beginning to grow up, Grandell was forced to spend less time with Lyssie. She had been used to being able to pull her sister to the library whenever she wanted, but now that Lyssie had to train as a Seeker, and they were both starting to have their own lessons, it became harder. Lyssie had picked up dancing, and, as scholarly pursuits weren’t incredibly artistic, she joined her sister with dance. She still stayed with her bookishness, and read up on dance theory and the history of dance.

It was not as enjoyable for her as reading was, but she got to spend time with Lyssie, which made her happy. Lyssie was the one person Grandell was completely open with, and she could completely be herself when she practiced dancing, unless their teacher was there. Then Grandell would once more become reserved and quiet. Her anxiety had become worse, and she was not comfortable around her dance instructor enough to be able to speak openly with Lyssie.

They debuted at fifteen, like all other young nobles. Grandell could tell that this social scene would be where Lyssie was the most comfortable, but for Grandell it was one of the scariest things she’d ever done. Her first ball was terrifying, and she had to keep herself from fainting because of her social anxiety. She told Lyssie to keep an eye on her, and seemed to do fairly well, until she was asked to dance. Lyssie was off dancing with someone else, and Grandell had been sitting by herself at their table, when a young man who had been talking to Lyssie approached. She knew that they’d been introduced, but in her panic she couldn’t remember who he was. Her eyes widened visibly and she nodded slowly, not speaking. And then she did faint.

Thankfully for her, the man, whose name she still couldn’t remember, had caught her. When she came to her senses again, she had been carried to a corner of the ballroom, for a little more privacy, and Lyssie was back. Grandell didn’t understand what had happened at first, and Lyssie said that she would explain when they got to the carriage. Grandell nodded, still feeling a little dizzy, and it only barely registered that Lyssie was thanking the young man for helping her sister.

She attempted a smile and a muttered ‘thank you’ to the man, who then kissed both their hands and retreated into the crowd, letting Lyssie help her sister out of the room. Grandell was convinced that people would talk about that evening for weeks. When they had gotten to the carriage Grandell realized that she was crying, and never wanted to go to another ball ever again.

“Hey, hey, sis. No need to be so upset. These things happen." Lyssie told her, "At least you did not throw up on the man, right?" She cracked a smile, obviously trying to soften the whole deal as much as she could.

Grandell took a deep breath, attempting to get herself back under control. “I just fainted. In a ball. He only asked to dance, and I couldn’t even remember his name.”

Lyssentella held her close, and Grandell suddenly realized that she was shaking. "Poor Lord Hallieau. He was absolutely terrified. Thought he gave you a heart attack, or some such thing."

That only made Grandell more anxious. “Is that who that was? Oh, Lord Ruler. Ashes.” She buried her head into Lyssie’s shoulder and took a few more breaths. “Do I have to keep going to these? I will only be more embarrassing. Imagine if I fainted every time I was asked to dance.”

"Nah, you’ll grow out of it. And do not worry, I heard that Lord Cyril is a really understanding guy and all." Her face was just a bit too distant and the smile just a bit too wide. Then she snapped back to reality.

“Understanding? I practically fainted on top of him! He might be understanding, but this was an important ball for us, and I fainted!”

"You know many actresses faint on performances? That happens, don't be hard on yourself."

Grandell could tell that Lyssie was trying to make her feel better. The only problem with it was that it wasn’t working. “I’m not an actress. I should be a noblewoman. I just want to curl up with a book and never talk to people again. It’s terrible.”

"Nah." Lyssentella dismissed this, "I bet this happened to Ventures, as well. And maybe an heiress or two."

After another deep breath, Grandell sat up straighter. “But what if this keeps happening to me?”

"Of course it won't." She soothed, "and even if it will, we will learn how to deal with it."

“Deal with it? How can we deal with it? I didn’t even know I was going to faint until I did.” Grandell was still worked up, but was starting to calm down a little bit.

"Oh, you know. Learn the boundaries. Avoid triggers."

That wasn’t making Grandell feel much better. She didn’t like the idea of having to test how long it would take until she fainted. “Can’t I just...not dance? I could Sooth them and make them not want to dance with me, or have them second-guess their desire to dance with me or something.”

"You know it is not my decision to make, little sis." She smiled apologetically.

“Do you think that Melissa will be mad if I don’t talk to people?” Grandell asked, wishing she could just not. She didn’t want to talk to people, much less talk to men. They were all judging her, and she knew that she was tall and lanky and not at all how a noblewoman should be.

Lyssie almost laughed. "Not mad. Just a bit disappointed. You know she is not mad. But I do not think you could just disappear."

“I want to disappear. You know we have to start courting at some point. I don’t want to court someone, and every time a man talked to me I had this sinking feeling that I wasn’t performing to expectations. I don’t want to have to do this anymore…”

"You act as if you will be fifteen forever."

“You know my anxiety has only gotten worse with age.” Grandell pointed out, wishing that Fellise was closer to Luthadel. Or far enough away that this ball would not have happened.

"We never tried to treat it seriously." Lyssentella pointed out herself.

“What if it just keeps getting worse?”

"Then we will deal with it. Stop worrying yourself over the possible future - we will see whether this happens before we panic."

“I don’t want people to talk about me. I knew that this was a bad idea.” Grandell was already past ‘panic’ and onto full-blown emotional breakdown. She buried her head once more into her sister’s shoulder, slowly pulling out the pins that kept her hair up. She was silent the rest of the ride back to the Cobalt manor, dreading having to explain to Melissa why they were back so early. Melissa didn’t take it as badly as Grandell had been afraid that she would, but Grandell was sure that it was just because Grandell had been soothing disappointment and anger during the entire conversation.

Although she didn’t want to go to any more balls ever again, she was pushed into it because of her duty to the family. She didn’t let Lyssie leave her side, however, and people began to wonder if she really was as terrified as she acted.

Lyssie finally got tired of being practically chained to her sister and told Grandell that she was going to dance at the next ball, but that she'd make sure that Grandell had someone to keep the young men away. Grandell was thankful and didn't faint the next ball. She was asked to dance once, and was saved by Lyssie's friend.

Afterwards, however, Lyssie asked why Grandell had been periodically flaring brass. Grandell's answer was that she didn't want to dance, and that was how they came up with the newest coping mechanism. Lyssie had to point out that Grandell could not just sooth everyone to keep them from talking to her, even though she was doing better and beginning to actually speak to people when in public. Grandell's next few balls went without incident, flaring in a specific pattern when she needed Lyssie to come help her.

Once Grandell could manage on her own, Lyssie started courting someone. Grandell had avoided it, as she was too scared about how people saw her. She didn't want to be disappointed when she inevitably broke up, and she was much too scared about having to dance with someone.

She got through the next few months fairly well, only fainting once when Lyssie was preoccupied, and then Lyssie broke up with the man she was courting and it was terrible. Lyssie stopped coming with her to balls and she had to harden the face she put on for social events. She fainted only once, in the beginning of her independence. She spent balls sitting on her own and avoiding dancing as much as she could. She convinced the family to let her take Venn to balls as her steward and that helped some, but she struggled.

When Lyssie started coming back, Grandell had gotten used to going to balls, though she still didn't have anyone who wanted to court her. They were almost eighteen and she hadn't danced once in the three years she had been in society.

While Grandell began to go out more, she still spent most of her time in the library. One day her cousin, Coralle, came in. Grandell assumed that she would find herself a book, and so stayed quietly curled up in her armchair. It happened again a few days later, and then again in the next week, but Grandell didn’t want to interrupt her cousin by asking her what it was she needed.

It took her weeks to finally speak to her cousin. Her anxiety was still there, even around her family, and she had a constant fear that she would inconvenience someone. Coralle, who was twelve at that time, responded in such a way that Grandell was surprised at. She began to speak more, when Coralle visited the library, and it evolved into Grandell being Coralle’s informal teacher in rhetoric and logic. She also found that she could talk to Coralle about Soothing and give her tips, which gave them more to talk about.

When Lady Cobalt died, Grandell felt the blow hard. The whole house did. Grandell saw it in everyone, especially Karn. Grandell almost missed his cheerful, if overwhelming, personality. She watched it affect everyone, and most of all, Coralle. Grandell saw Coralle slowly grow reserved and quiet, which changed her lessons drastically. Where Coralle had once been excited and happy, Grandell saw that she became more serious. Grandell couldn’t figure out why this was happening, though she guessed it had something to do with the death.

She continued to do decently when out of the house, but when she grew older it became harder to want to talk to her family. Grandell was spending increasing amounts of time in social situations, as she could control her anxiety better, and she would get back to the manor and be so burnt out that she just wanted to curl up and read for the rest of her life. She spent more and more of her free time in the library, and began to teach dancing with Lyssie. The face she put on grew more and more tiring, and she stopped going to get books herself, instead sending Venn out and trusting his judgement. Her brass lessons grew harder to go to, and she avoided them, which often got her into trouble, but she didn’t care. She had found where to hide in the library so that no one but Venn could find her. She was worn out from social contact.

Around her twenty-first birthday, she began writing. Though she loved reading philosophy, she didn’t write it, instead writing simple, short, rather fantastical stories. It helped her explore reality in a way that she hadn’t yet. She never shows her stories to anyone. Not even Lyssie. She is scared that they will seem childish, even if they deal with moral issues or situations that are more grown up.

That helped her not be so tired, as it helped her learn how to get to a mindset that was easier to maintain than her current face, and she did better at her Allomancy and dancing. The anxiety of her first six years in society had overwhelmed her to a point where she had wished she could just do nothing forever, but she had slowly gotten used to it, and her coping mechanisms were working.

Grandell doesn’t struggle as much with her anxiety as she did at first. She is still reserved, except towards Lyssie, but she has not fainted in about a year, and she has some acquaintances that she is comfortable enough around that she is not completely alone at balls. She still has never courted anyone, which is the cause of some worry in her family. There is talk of arranging her a marriage, as she is now 25 and does not look like she will be courting anyone of her own free will any time soon. She knows about this, but tries not to think about it, as it makes her anxious.

Posted Image

Grandell sat in the library, waiting for Lyssie. She had had her first meeting, outside of a ball, with the man that she was courting. Wilor Zerrung was the name Lyssie had given her, and apparently they had met at a few balls, and danced some. Grandell didn’t approve of how quickly Lyssie had started courting again after her last breakup, but Grandell didn’t really like the idea of having to court someone. Lyssie obviously loved it.

Finally Lyssie barged into the room, looking excited. She was always like that after a date.
"Hey! Are you just waiting here for me alone?"

Grandell nodded slowly, sitting up straighter and setting her book down. “Venn was in here for a while as well, but mostly I have been waiting for you. How is this man you went to meet?”
Lyssie shrugged idly. "Wilor? He is... Definitely eccentric. He seems to be ever so excited about every kind of fight or skirmish, even while on dates. Seems like he forgets that he is courting easily." She sat in the chair next to Grandell, "Oh, and there is his allomancy. He always has a bit of iron on, and tends to flare it three times from time to time."

Grandell sighed, smiling a little. “He should know better than to burn when he’s not sure if his date is a Seeker.” She said, almost joking. “How do you mean, forgets he is courting? Surely he did not flirt with other women while on a date.”

"No, not on a date he didn't. But he did almost go watch a fight outside, and he can flirt on other times."

Grandell rolled her eyes. “Do we need to watch him? What was our plan for your other one? I would flare or something when I saw him forgetting about you? Luckily I never had to, but this one sounds like he might need extra supervision.”

"Not really." Lyssie shrugged again, and Grandell wondered if she was more disappointed than she looked. "Although it would be nice of you to do that."

Grandell smiled and thought for a minute. “He sounds like he could be the kind of person that gets in fights a lot. Watching him would probably be a good idea. It would not look good if the man you are courting was flirting, or got in a fight over something. He does sound quite reckless.” She thought again, and then her face lit up. “You said he flares three times? What about that as our signal. If he does something thoughtless, I can let you know with that. You know that I do not have anything better to do at balls.”

"Yes you do. Just dance once. You only ever danced with me. Besides, you can talk to people."

Grandell shook her head a bit. “I can talk to people and keep an eye on your Wilor at the same time. People rarely talk to me, anyways, and you know that I do not dance. Conversations in a group are fine, but dancing is so... personal.” She curled up a little in her chair, as the very thought of dancing with someone made her feel anxious.

"You know you don't faint anymore. You can do it."

“I only have not fainted recently because you keep rescuing me. It does help that I have a boycrazy twin sister sometimes.” Grandell grinned at Lyssie.

"Hey! Do not insult me or I will ask Lord Cyril to come over!"

Grandell blushed, her face growing hot even though that had happened almost ten years ago. “You really had to bring that up? I thought that we were over that.” Lyssie’s threats could be terrible sometimes, but Grandell really didn’t mind. It was amusing. Grandell switched gears, going back to the date. “So what happened? You seem...distracted.”

"He ran off again, you know? Him and his duels..." Lyssie trailed off, and Grandell was exasperated.

“Well that is problematic.” Grandell said with a roll of her eyes. “Are you really less interesting than a duel?”

"Are you trying to insult me? No, he just forgets."

“He shouldn’t forget that he is on a date, no matter if the girl is the most boring ever.” Grandell said, teasing her but doing so with a straight face.

"Why, thanks! This is the best compliment I have had all day!" Lyssie deadpanned.

“I try.” Grandell grinned at her sister again. “Although you are more interesting than this fellow.” She indicated her book. “He is a not-so-well-known philosopher and insists on going in circles around a theology that has no basis.”

"What sort of theology? That women are lesser folk?" Lyssie was obviously teasing, but Grandell nodded dryly.

“Anything the ministry says, basically.” Grandell sighed. “Women are lesser, for which he gives no actual reasons, skaa are just one step above beasts, stuff like that. There are not any moral or ethical arguments for this, he just talks and restates it in all different ways.”

"And you read him because?"

“I ran out of good philosophers.”

"And you don't read fiction. Only philosophy."

“I have already read all the fiction we own. It only takes me an hour or so to read one of those books.” Grandell shrugged. “If there was more of it, I would gladly read something else.”

"We can always send Venn again, to get a couple dozen new books."

“Perhaps later. I am going to finish this book, because it will not take long, and then I am going to scrounge around for something that is enjoyable.” Grandell sighed. “New books would be nice.”

"I think ever since you got that half hour of reading before you sleep, you tripled our library. And that was less than a year ago! No wonder one of the keep floors will be a massive mix between a library and a lounge."

Grandell smiled. “I still need to improve our collection of folk tales, and epic poems.”

"What areas of the land do you not have folk tales from? And why would you need another epos?"

“It is not so much an area of the land as a time period. Now, Lyssie, this is never to leave this room,” Grandell gave her sister a sharp look, “but I have not been able to find anything from before the Lord Ruler ascended. None of the folk tales I have found go past that date. I am sure they exist, so I want to find them.”

"Why would they not exist?" Lyssie asked innocently, and Grandell wasn’t sure how to reply.

“I do not know, but it is nearly impossible to find literature from before that point.”

"What did you find then?"

“Nothing yet. I heard of some old religious texts a few months back, but before I could get to them, they disappeared.” Grandell sighed in frustration.

"Wait, did you not search for these already? I thought you told me you found something like that a small while ago."

"I actually keep those under my mattress. I do not really want people to know. I am afraid that they will be taken away."

"The people?" Lyssie scratched her chin and looked confused. "Or the books?"

Grandell smiled a little. “The books. Definitely the books." She said seriously, though she was half-joking.

Edited by MozytheHealer, 13 March 2014 - 01:53 AM.

PCs:

Katryn Domaille

WIPs:

Ranee, Delacey,

Theodoric Getrue, Kyl,