The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Leroy Valcier

• You cannot reply to this topic
No replies to this topic

#1 Leroy Valcier

• Heir to House Valcier

Prelan
  • Age23

• Relationship StatusOh so very Single

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusKnown

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:04 AM

Just fair warning, while I don't mind answering questions about Leroy he's not going to be worked on anymore until Niklaus is done.

Leroy Valcier
Noble Misting and Heir to House Valcier

Posted Image

Name/Handle: Noelle

Posted Image

Name: Leroy Valcier
Type: Noble
Place of Origin: Luthadel
Relationship Status: Single

Posted Image

Type of Powers: Misting
Metals Used: Pewter
Degree of Skill: Intermediate

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Special Skills:

Strengths:

Weaknesses:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Leroy was poring over some documents when a servant walked in to his office. He had a real headache on his hands, one of House Valcier's top servants had been found stealing of all things, from the noble house he worked for. It was a huge blow to them, and Leroy was now scrambling to find a way to spin it so the blame did not fall entirely on his House. They could not afford such bad publicity when the alliance with House Fathvell was so new, their connection to a Great House, no matter how new, had greatly increased their prestige and if they lost it they would lose many of their customers as well. So Leroy pondered a way to shift the blame off his house and onto someone else in between business appointments.

The documents he was now examining were of the people who had hired the servant before House Valcier. Perhaps they could be blamed instead of his House? All he needed to do was find another bad apple from them and his problems would be solved, right?

A servant knocked on the door as he was thinking this. "Come in," he told them, still looking over the documents, he heard the door open but didn't stop his perusal. "The food goes over there." He said, not looking up, and pointing to a table near his desk. He could eat lunch later, he needed to research house Levaine right now.

"Excuse me?"

Leroy wasn't really paying attention to what the servant was saying, probably something like "Yes, mi'lord. Of course, mi'lord." It didn't really matter to him, but perhaps he should send them out to find more information on House Levaine? That would probably be best. He looked up through his glasses, opening his mouth to order the servant to do just that when she introduced herself, "Zella Calomine. I believe that we were to meet here to prevent my making a fool of myself before the Elariel ball." Leroy's brain shorted out for a moment.

How had he forgotten?! Yes the appointment had been made rather last minute, indeed he'd had to squeeze it between two prior appointments, but this was his date to the Elariel Ball and he'd just addressed her as a servant. Thankfully she didn't seem to be offended, or maybe she was just hiding it well, you could never know with noblewomen. Leroy wanted to groan, but instead he jumped out of his chair, flaring pewter to keep his balance, and came around the desk to bow over her hand.

"Lady Zella, it's a pleasure to meet you. Forgive me for my rudeness. How are you this day?" The words were practiced, precise, his manners had been drilled into him and he followed them to the letter. Deviation from what he had been taught was the way to madness.

"I am well, thank you." She said, very politely considering how rudely he'd treated her, "I am sorry if I startled you."

"Oh that's quite alright, I assure you." He said quickly, "I was just distracted, so... umm..." He was at a loss, he had no idea what Lady Zella's interests were, so he couldn't ask about those. The window was right there and he could see for himself about the weather, what was he supposed to say? Why was small talk so hard for him? Negotiation was easy but he was never what could be called a people person, he did not have an open and welcoming persona. He could not catch a woman's eye with anything other than his wealth, it was quite tiring to be honest.

"Are you looking forward to the Ball?" he offered desperately.

"Oh quite." She said, "Even after five years of living in Luthadel, there are always more people to meet, and it gives a nice break from desk work and negotiating." That was an odd thing to say, what was wrong with working all the time? At least Leroy didn't feel at a loss while he worked. "I would assume that you too are looking forward to it?"

Looking forward to a ball? Where he'd be forced to mingle with people for hours? He would applaud Lady Zella for her joke if he didn't know she was being one hundred percent serious. "Yes, of course. I was unfortunately," which was to say he wriggled out of going to, "unable to go to the Perrault Ball, so it will be good to get out again." Because that was where he shined, obviously.

"Although there is nothing wrong with desk work." He couldn't help but add, thinking longingly of the headache he'd been having not two minutes ago, it was at least something he could deal with, "It is important after all. So, err, tell me about yourself Lady Zella, if we are to be going to a ball together we ought to know something about each other, should we not?"

"Tell you about myself? Alas, my least favorite question." She began, and Leroy's mind raced, he'd asked the wrong thing, how was he going to get himself out of this mess, maybe he could suggest another topic? But then she continued without missing a beat and made him feel quite silly, "Well, I prefer social tasks to desk work, but books above everything else. I have been told that I have an unhealthy fascination with dueling, though I do not believe that. A fascination is only unhealthy when it consumes your life, would you not agree?"

Leroy's eyes widened, why Lady Zella was, dare he say it, interesting. She was also quite a bit more socially adept than him, indeed her easy way with words was putting him at ease, a little anyways. "Really?" He asked, "What types of books do you read, philosophy perhaps? Or maybe something among the sciences?"'

He wondered about her fascination with dueling, did that mean she was a duelist? He would ask, after all, just because Lady Zella was small didn't mean she couldn't be one, perhaps she was a Pewterarm, like himself. One of his instructors was female and pewter was the great equalizer, in his opinion. After all, it made him a competent fighter.

"I have read some philosophy. Not nearly the philosophy books that I would like to read, as I hear there are some philosophers with...unique views," He wondered what philosophers she was thinking of when she said that, "but I have read all that is in our library. As for the sciences, I never quite understood them."

"Like Lady Alia's writings perhaps? Or have you read her work?" He asked with a small grin, naming a woman famed for her insistence that women were the superior sex. Leroy thought she was a little mad, if he was honest with himself, it was obvious to him that men and women were equally different from each other, with men having a slight edge, although he had yet to decide if it was of a biological or societal basis.

Really he read philosophies for the thought exercises, he was more interested in science, in how the things around him worked, but if Lady Zella did not understand them the last thing she needed was for him to go on a long spiel about different scientific topics.

Lady Zella frowned and shook her head, "I have not. I do believe that I heard of her at one point, but I do not remember why or where. I do know that we have none of her work in our library."

"Ah..." Lady Alia was a favorite of his sister's, actually, so he was used to at least attempting to disabuse someone of the notions Lady Alia generated. Not that he would have done that to Lady Zella. There was no need to challenge her beliefs, even if they were wrong, so soon after meeting her, but Lady Alia was the philosopher he was used to discussing with women, even if by women he meant just his sister. "Well what philosophies have you read? The basics, perhaps? Barlowe and the like?"

Lady Zella's blush was pretty, but made him feel rather bad, "If by basics you mean Barlowe and then everyone who agrees with him, yes. Unfortunately, I have only just gotten through what we do have. If you would suggest some good philosophy books, I would be grateful."

He shouldn't have phrased his sentence like that, it belittled the work Lady Zella had done to educate herself. But the smile that came afterwards was warm enough, so once again Leroy had been saved from accidentally insulting his date to the ball, "Well what philosophies are you interested in, my Lady? Political? Societal? Do you like thought exercises on different things, being posed with an almost impossible decision and asked to choose?" That was what Leroy liked, after all, "Or is there something else that interests you about them? I don't want to give you a name you will only find dull, after all."

Lady Zella thought for a few moments before smiling, "Societal sounds interesting. Would these impossible decisions be ethical? Ethics and morals have always interested me."

"Well there is always Urwill's work, if you want to get into it." He said, happy to share, oh how he loved ethical dilemmas, "For instance there is the question: Under a reprehensible regime, is it better to be a dissenter, and in the process be hated, ostracized, and ignored, or is it better to be someone that agrees with the regime, and in the process be loved, cared for, and approved of. It seems like a hard choice to make, because if you decide to go along with the regime the principles you cared for so much will matter nothing to you. I've always felt, personally, that it is not a matter of whether or not you want to be happy, though. I always felt it is a matter of whether or not my principles are worth my happiness." Leroy realized he'd been rambling, and cracked an embarrassed grin, "What do you think, Lady Zella?" He offered quickly.

"Why, that almost sounds rebellious." Zella's smile did little to curb the sudden well of panic her words elicited, "Being happy is definitely important, but I believe the happiness that comes from upholding your views is more worthwhile, even if it should come from years of suffering."

"Oh no it's not rebellious at all!" Leroy said quickly, of course if you looked at it in a certain way it could be construed as rebellious, but if you looked at anything a certain way you could construe it as rebellious.

"No it's just a thought exercise, my Lady, and I like your answer," Actually she had failed to see that one, in this situation, could either choose to be happy or choose to uphold their principles, not both, but he wasn't going to tell her that. She had answered well enough, he just hadn't explained clearly enough. He grinned, thinking of some of the more... controversial things he had read, that he didn't agree with, of course. Nope, not him, he was perfectly normal and he really needed to get off this topic, "So, err... are you a duelist, Lady Zella? Is that why it fascinates you so?"

Lady Zella blushed again, and Leroy was somewhat perplexed. She hadn't seemed embarassed about dueling when she herself had mentioned it, why would she blush at him mentioning it, even if it wasn't entirely proper, "I was taught how to duel by my father, who was an accomplished duelist. After that it just...expanded itself. It is hardly a feminine pursuit, but it is one that I enjoy. I doubt I am any good."

"Perhaps you would not fair that well against someone twice your size," Leroy said carefully, he actually thought it was quite interesting she was a duelist. He liked people who challenged societal norms, it was interesting to see people do it and he certainly didn't look down on them when they did. He wouldn't, of course, but he could observe, from a distance, "But I'm sure against the right opponent you are an excellent duelist, my Lady." She certainly couldn't be worse than he was. He sort of wanted to offer to duel her, to see what she could do first hand, but he was relatively sure it was not right to ask if you could beat your date to a ball with a stick for fun. "I myself do not fair well in that area, I'm afraid, no matter what gifts have been granted to me," he was talking about his pewter of course, "It cannot make up for a lack of talent."

"I cannot figure out if that is a compliment disguised as an insult or the other way around." Lady Zella said, once again making Leroy's brain short out, he listened to the rest of her speech with a sort of numb horror. "I am afraid that I lack experience against an opponent. Apart from the basic self-defense I was taught after the accident, I have never been formally trained in any other kind of combat. What I know I picked up from watching others duel."

"What- no I wasn't trying to insult you Lady Zella!" Leroy said as soon as he snapped out of his horrified stupor, he'd already insulted her on accident quite enough, after all, "I was merely trying to- that is to say-" He'd been so scandalized by the idea that she thought he was insulting her that he hadn't noticed the way she said it, or her smile. Seeing it then brought him to a stop, and he smacked his forehead with the heel of his hand, "Forgive me, sometimes I forget people can make jokes." He said, his eyes closed. Great, now he'd made a fool of himself, this was going wonderfully, wasn't it? Perhaps he would not be so flustered if he wasn't actually interested in getting to know Lady Zella.

"But surely you practiced against others when you were learning to duel..." He said, trying to move past his misstep, "I mean the best experience comes from pitting yourself against others, right?" He shrugged, he had been pitted against many people in his training, and more times than not been found the loser, he just wasn't good at hurting people, or talking to them, or charming them. It was better to say he wasn't good with anything to do with people, with the exception of doing buisness with them.

"I apologize. I was not thinking." She said quickly, making Leroy feel more the fool, but thankfully she went along with his change of subject. "I have dueled against my brother a few times, but not nearly enough to be good at it. I cannot exactly challenge young noblemen to duels, even friendly duels. It would not be in my best interests."

"Well no, I suppose it wouldn't..." Leroy said, "Especially if you beat them, they'd probably feel humiliated." Leroy wouldn't have that problem of course, he was too used to losing, "Well if you ever need an opponent I'd be happy to oblige, as long as you promise not to beat me too badly." Wait, what had he just said? Hadn't he been thinking not two minutes ago how improper asking her would be? Well he couldn't take it back now, and he didn't really want to, come to think of it. It'd be nice to actually have a choice when it came to deciding to fight someone.

"Thank you. I will keep that in mind." She said, but he had a feeling she was humoring him, "I doubt that I would do very well against someone who has been trained."

"You'd be surprised how little training can matter when one lacks talent." He said wryly, he needed to stop being so self deprecating, at this rate she'd think he was incompetent (the fact that he was mattered little here). He opened his mouth to change the subject when there was a knock at the door.

His eyebrow quirked, and he bowed to Lady Zella, "Forgive me, my Lady, I will be right back." He strode over to the door and opened it to find a servant there.

"Mi'lord," The servant said with a diffident expression, "Your next appointment is in ten minutes," Leroy started and took a look at his pocket watch, the servant was correct. Where had the time gone?

"Thank you, you are dismissed." He told the servant and the man left with a bow, he turned to Lady Zella and gave her an apologetic look, "I'm sorry Lady Zella it seems our time is almost up, I hope you can forgive me for putting such an abrupt stop to our conversation, but is there anything you'd like to ask before we finish here?"

Lady Zella gave him that easy smile and shook her head, "I look forward to the ball. I can see that you have quite a bit of work to do, so I will let you get back to that." She held one hand out to him and played with her hair with the other, it was rather cute.

"As am I," The amazing thing was he wasn't even lying, he looked forward to spending some hours in Lady Zella's company. She was interesting, which was new for him, most women were a little disdainful of him due to his reputation as a coward. As if they would have done something other than run away when faced with half a dozen trained assassins trying to kill him. Perhaps screaming for help had been slightly unmanly, but what was the help of being manly if you were dead from an assassin's blade?

She was considerate too, he was happy she understood that he wasn't trying to snub her. Some women got so angry when he chose work over them, like they somehow thought themselves more important. He bowed low over her hand and, after a moment's consideration kissed it. There was nothing improper about doing that, nothing at all, but he was still blushing faintly when he straightened, "I will see you the night of the Elariel Ball, my Lady."

She smiled again, Leroy couldn't help but be impressed that he'd managed to get her to do that so many times, and walked to the door, "I remember the way out, so you do not have to call a servant to show me out." She said, turning her head to speak to him one last time, "Until later."

Leroy watched her go, and then stood there, grinning slightly to himself. He certainly wasn't used to making a good impression on people, and he had made a good impression, hadn't he? Slowly he meandered his way to his chair and leaned back in it, staring at the ceiling. He had a few minutes before his next appointment came, he could afford to sit and ponder. Well the Elariel Ball was certainly going to be interesting and, dare he say it, enjoyable? It would be a nice change of pace.

Edited by Noelle, 08 March 2014 - 01:26 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users