The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

A Family Reunion

W2 D2 LA Zella Calomine Talyn Calomine Silvan Calomine Melaine Wairyn

32 replies to this topic

#1 Talyn Calomine

• Noble Soother

Acolyte
  • Age19

• Relationship StatusSingle

• OriginCalomine Plantation, Southern Dominance

• Allomantic StatusHidden

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:33 PM

It was late afternoon, and the long journey was over. Out of a window in the carriage, Talyn could see the manor approaching. I wonder if my cousins will be in, he wondered. It will interesting to meet them again. Would they have changed much? It had be almost 5 years since they had last met, not since he had been sent off to Fadrex city.

The carriage slowed, before coming to a standstill. We have arrived, my Lord, the carriage driver announced. The door was opened, and Talyn stepped out. The manor was black (like all buildings, due to the ash), with sizable double doors below a balcony that looked out onto the street. He walked up the few steps leading up to the door and knocked twice on the door. After a few moments, the door was opened by a skaa servant.

Talyn cleared his throat. Talyn Calomine. I believe Im expected. He strode in without waiting for a reply.

Edited by Haelbarde, 28 February 2014 - 12:22 AM.

#2 Zella Calomine

• Noble Tineye

Posse Member
  • Age20

• Relationship StatusIn a secret affair

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:51 PM

Zella flew down the stairs, smiling widely. She had missed Talyn, as he was the only member of her family that she actually liked. It had been too long, and now that he was here she hoped that Silvan would stop being so anxious. He hated having more people in the house.

She reached the bottom of the stairs and slowed down, her tin on a low burn. "Talyn!" She said, waving the servant away. He left them quickly, without a word. "How have you been? I do hope that the journey was not too long or boring."

#3 Talyn Calomine

• Noble Soother

Acolyte
  • Age19

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:17 AM

Talyn smiled, moving towards Zella and giving her a hug. He always thought that she should have been a Rioter. She could make him smile no matter his mood (and could annoy Silvan without trying).

"Zella! I've been well, thank you! The journey was fine. My own company suits me fine. But who cares about me, how about you? How has life in Luthadel treated you?"

Edited by Haelbarde, 22 February 2014 - 10:09 AM.

#4 Zella Calomine

• Noble Tineye

Posse Member
  • Age20

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:42 AM

"Silvan is still, well, Silvan, but the city gives me many more ways to get away from him." Zella said with a shrug, though she was still smiling. "Luthadel is not incredibly far away, by carriage, and it is spectacular. You have, in fact, gotten here just in time for quite a few balls, and I will have to take you with me to the city tomorrow. You must begin to meet people." She sent a glance up the stairs, having heard her brother moving around. "And you must meet Melaine properly before dinner. He will accompany us to all social events so that we are not found out."

#5 Talyn Calomine

• Noble Soother

Acolyte
  • Age19

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:28 AM

Talyn followed Zella's gaze up the stairs, but couldn't see anything. I guess she can hear someone up there. Perks of tin I guess.

"Some people never change," Talyn replied, shaking his head. "Are Silvan and, was it Randall, in? I look forward to seeing Luthadel; meeting people, not so much, though I guess you're not going to give me much choice with that. For the moment though, I must say I'm curious to see the manor. Perhaps a brief tour so I can find my way around?"

Edited by Haelbarde, 27 January 2015 - 06:59 AM.

#6 Zella Calomine

• Noble Tineye

Posse Member
  • Age20

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:52 AM

"Of course I can give you the tour!" Zella said enthusiastically. "And Silvan is here. He is up in his office. I am not sure about Melaine. Perhaps we can check the library? Of course, after I show you around. Silvan is a little touchy about the amount of time we spend together, even though we have to. And of course you have to meet people! You are our soother, and perhaps Silvan will decide that you, too, need to get married and we can commiserate about that as well." She winked at him and turned to go back up the stairs. "Luckily for you, you will not be forced to spar too often, although you might get pushed into it when Melaine gets tired of me beating him."

#7 Talyn Calomine

• Noble Soother

Acolyte
  • Age19

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:44 AM

"Well, if he's been training with you, I'm sure he'll have no problem dealing with me," Talyn replied, following Zella up the staircase onto the landing above. "I guess I should probably train up a bit, so that I'm not entirely embarrassing if you ever have the misfortune of watching me duel.I must say, it is going to take some getting used to, Silvan essentially running the house. Fadrex City meant I could ignore the fact, a luxury I no longer have. And Silvan hasn't managed to marry you off yet has he? Hopefully that will mean he doesn't jump on my case too early..."

Edited by Haelbarde, 20 February 2014 - 02:11 AM.

#8 Zella Calomine

• Noble Tineye

Posse Member
  • Age20

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:00 AM

Zella shot a smile at him. "He continues to fail at finding interesting men to throw me at." She laughed and swung around the corner. "He does not like the men that I choose, and so takes it upon himself to find me dates. It is different one every ball. I doubt that whoever he finds for the Perrault ball will be just as boring as all the rest, and possibly I might get a break for the end of the week. I do not think he will have time to work on you as well. You will have to find a girlfriend by yourself."

She turned and gestured around her. "This is the top floor, where the bedrooms are. The rooms to avoid are all on the right side on the hallway, except for the washroom which is closest to the staircase. Your room is the middle on the left. As for Silvan basically running the house, it could be worse. At least grandfather can still rein him in on some things."

Edited by MozytheHealer, 17 February 2014 - 04:02 AM.

#9 Talyn Calomine

• Noble Soother

Acolyte
  • Age19

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:25 AM

The hallway was empty apart from them, with doors on either side. Zella pointed out some of the rooms, including Talyn's own.

"I guess. As for a girlfriend, don't get your hopes up. I'm certainly not going to be trying too hard to find one."

Talyn opened the door she'd indicated as his bedroom. It was nicely furnished and well lit, though his stuff had yet to be moved from the carriage to the room. He closed the door and they started back to the staircase.

"Though, if Silvan does try to match me up, it sounds like I'd be better off getting suggestions from you," Talyn continued. I'm not sure I'd want to rely on Silvan finding someone interesting if I did require a date for a ball. What are those rooms on the right for anyway?"

Edited by Haelbarde, 17 February 2014 - 04:29 AM.

#10 Zella Calomine

• Noble Tineye

Posse Member
  • Age20

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:46 AM

Zella laughed and lead him back down the stairs. "I am sure I could point you to some of the more interesting noblewomen. The rooms on the right," She continued seriously, "Are Silvan's. He has a bedroom and an office, both of which you should avoid at all costs. If he tries to get you to come talk to him, he is probably displeased. Actually, he is always displeased, so just try not to engage him in conversation."

"The other rooms up there are mine and Melaine's. Silvan wanted to put him in the guest wing, but I quickly shut down that idea. He does not like having a single man living in the same hallway as his precious sister that he would gladly sell to the richest nobleman who would take her." Zella said it all lightly, almost laughing about it. She had come to terms with the fact that her brother was an ash-blasted moron long ago.

"Closest to the stairs is Melaine's and mine is the farthest from the stairs. I believe that you get a doorway out onto the balcony, though we like to keep the windows and doors closed at night as it can get chilly." That was also the easiest way to avoid the late night excursions being found out. She and Melaine were quiet, but not nearly quiet enough if there was going to be someone in the empty room now.

#11 Talyn Calomine

• Noble Soother

Acolyte
  • Age19

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:19 AM

"I'll keep that in mind," Talyn said with a smile. "Thanks!"

They returned to the stairs, and climbed back down the stairs into the main foyer again. "It appears Silvan's not the most hospitable of persons. I'm obviously not a worthy enough reason to take leave of his study. Not that I exactly miss his company. I guess he probably wouldn't miss mine."

They reached the bottom of the stairs. "You mentioned a library? I must confess to having developed a bit of a thing for books from my stay in Fadrex. They were an excellent excuse to avoid talking to certain people, but I grew to enjoy reading for the sake of it."

#12 Zella Calomine

• Noble Tineye

Posse Member
  • Age20

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:34 AM

"Our library is terrible. Believe me." Zella said with a roll of her eyes. "Melaine does not seem to mind, but I hate it. I am sure you have read it all before. It is just the typical things that everyone owns." She turned into the lounge. "Silvan did not miss you in the least. It took a rebellion to get him to call you here. If it was not helpful to the house, I think he would have just let you sit in Fadrex until your eyes fell out." She smiled, countering the oddly morbid figure of speech.

"But believe me. He has only gotten worse with time. I think he is stressed. What with grandfather's ill health and my inability to find a rich husband, he does have quite a bit on his plate. It is a lot to do, and since I have to spy, train, and help him with the house business, I cannot take some of the work."

#13 Talyn Calomine

• Noble Soother

Acolyte
  • Age19

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:05 AM

"I guess his position is not at all enviable." Talyn smirked. "Let's hope the stress doesn't cause his eyes to fall out. That doesn't sound like a condition I'd wish on anyone. Plus it'd probably mean I'd have to do Silvan's job. Then my eyes might indeed fall out. That doesn't sound like any fun at all."

They had paused on their way through the lounge. It was lovely room, arrayed with ornate furniture, what looked to be quite comfortable lounge chairs, and a sizable fireplace set into one of the walls.

"Is this a particularly busy week for you?" Talyn asked as they continued on. "You mentioned a ball earlier. Prepared and all for that, or have you yet to go a shopping trip for it?"

#14 Zella Calomine

• Noble Tineye

Posse Member
  • Age20

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:09 AM

"I believe I know what I am wearing, but you are another matter. We will have to get you some nice, sharp suits for balls." Zella said with a cheeky smile. "I will be going shopping for the Elariel ball at the end of the week, but that is more of a business trip than anything. Silvan believes that if we know the other silks on the market, it will help us do better."

#15 Talyn Calomine

• Noble Soother

Acolyte
  • Age19

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:35 AM

Talyn raised an eyebrow. "Joy! Clothes shopping," he responded sarcastically. "Though I could do far worse in the way of company."

Zella continued to lead him through the house, pointing out the dining room and the kitchen as they passed by.

"Do you have any advice for whom I try to talk to and who to avoid?" Talyn asked. "And is there anyone's toes we've stepped on that I should worry about?"

Edited by Haelbarde, 17 February 2014 - 06:36 AM.

#16 Zella Calomine

• Noble Tineye

Posse Member
  • Age20

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:46 AM

"At least you will not have to go with Silvan." Zella said with a grin. She lead him finally to the library. "I warn you, our collection is sad, and, though Melaine thinks that the fiction is good, i think he probably has terrible taste because the first book I ever gave him was one of my childhood favorites that did. It quite stand up to the test of time." Zella laughed, though she knew that something in her laugh was softer when she talked about Melaine.

"I do not think we have stepped on to many toes, as we have been overly careful, but Silvan would know better than I. All I know are the groups of ladies that you probably do not want to get involved with. I would tread carefully, though. Luthadel society is not easy to get used to."

#17 Talyn Calomine

• Noble Soother

Acolyte
  • Age19

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:00 PM

"Well feel free to kick me in shins or something if you think I'm about to make a serious blunder," Talyn, grinning, replied.

Opening the door before them, and stepped through into the library. The size was reasonable, and the room was neatly organized, with a couple of tables and chairs to study at,or read in. Talyn had a brief look at some of the shelves. Zella was right. There's mainly the fairly standard types of books here.

"There's a few things I've not seen, but like you said, it's fairly standard fare. Perhaps at some point I can add to the collection."

Talyn looked around.

"I don't see any trace of Randall. I guess he's gone for a walk?"

Edited by Haelbarde, 27 January 2015 - 07:01 AM.

#18 Zella Calomine

• Noble Tineye

Posse Member
  • Age20

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:45 PM

"Perhaps. Let me see. Try to stay as quiet as you can." Zella smiled at him, closed her eyes, and flared her tin. The amount of sensory information that followed hit her hard and she focused her mind on just hearing. A carriage went by the house and people were laughing, quite loudly. She focused harder. Silvan was in his office, writing something. The servants were both in the kitchen, working in silence. Melaine....there he was. He was in his room, but she couldn't quite tell what he was doing.

She lowered her tin and opened her eyes. "He is in his room. We can go bug him in a few minutes, or perhaps he will come to us."

Edited by MozytheHealer, 17 February 2014 - 10:46 PM.

#19 Talyn Calomine

• Noble Soother

Acolyte
  • Age19

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:53 AM

"He is in his room. We can go bug him in a few minutes, or perhaps he will come to us."

Talyn thought for a few moments. "Well, it doesn't really bother me either way. If you want to bug him now, it doesn't bother me."

He paused again. A slightly evil grin started growing on his face. "Perhaps we could prank him? Does he keep a constant coppercloud up? If he doesn't, I might be able soothe him to minimize any suspicion that he gets... "

Talyn checked his pockets. "Yup, got some brass on me. Got any ideas?"

Edited by Haelbarde, 18 February 2014 - 12:54 AM.

#20 Zella Calomine

• Noble Tineye

Posse Member
  • Age20

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:28 AM

Zella smiled and nodded. "I believe that I pay him to keep it up constantly, but I can probably convince him to drop it, assuming you say nothing of this to Silvan. He would not approve of my methods." She closed the library door and grinned. "What did you have in mind?"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users