The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Gown Shopping

W1 D5 EA Eriaan Maks Perrin

5 replies to this topic

#1 Eriaan

Member of Lucille Deveaux's Book Club

Posted 26 July 2009 - 09:02 PM

"Ye jist bought a gown! What der ye need another fer?" Varon half-shouted, half-asked. The crew leader was not very happy about having to dish out a few hundred boxings to Eriaan for a 'lump of fabric', as he so often called gowns. He didn't understand that showing up in one of her old gowns to the Casuana Ball would be a social faux pas in the nobility world. It was just not done.

Eriaan stood with her arms folded across her chest, wearing her favorite navy blue 'day' gown. "If you expect me to be able to keep all of my contacts within the nobility, and have them contine to think that I am, in fact, noble, then the gown is necessary. No young noble woman will be showing up to this ball in a gown that she's already been seen in. It's just the way things are done." She kept her voice level and calm, not wanting to further upset Varon. "People would shun me if I went to the ball in one of my old gowns. And that would mean less information for you, Varon."

The short, bearded man grumbled. He may not like the idea, but he knew that Eriaan was right. Grudgingly, he handed Eriaan a pouch filled with boxings. A short time later, Eriaan was on her way to a specific shop that she had heard about from one of the other noble ladies. It was run by a skaa named Lan, and apparently, it was one of the best shops in all of Luthadel when it came to gowns and the like. Behind Eriaan trailed one of the other members of the crew, Hafek, acting the part of her servant for the trip. The walk to the shop didn't take long, and once there, Eriaan ordered Hafek to stay outside the shop, near the door to wait for her.

As she entered the shop, she was overwhelmed for moment by all of the color that surrounded her. Yep, she had found a dress shop, that was for sure. There were many people at work in the shop at individual stations, all of whom Eriaan assumed were apprentices. She stood for a moment, watching the apprentices work, but she wasn't left standing long before one of the apprentices approached her. "My lady, how may we serve you?"

Eriaan felt her ears grow a little hot. Having other skaa wait on her had never felt quite right to her, and always made her feel a little guilty. But she still had a role to play, and so she nodded in greeting to the apprentice, and put on her confident face, "I require a gown for the Casuana ball."

The apprentice bowed, "Of course, my lady. At the moment, we can only offer an already made gown, tailored to fit you. We have far too many orders to hope to be able to complete a gown for you from scratch in time for the ball."

Eriaan sighed a little in relief. She only had enough money to buy a ready made gown, and was glad that she would have to ask for one. Most noblewomen had new gowns made specifically for them when important balls like the Casuana one rolled around, but there was no way that Eriaan would have been able to afford doing that. She frowned slightly, and glared at the apprentice for a moment, "Very well. If that's the best that you can offer me, I suppose I have no other choice but to accept. Though, I think for the next ball, I will have to take my business elsewhere."

The apprentice's face showed a little of his fear. Offending a noblewoman was not a good idea, and he had just done so. He bowed low, and when he spoke, his voice cracked, "My sincerest apologies, my lady. We do truly want to help you find the perfect gown for this ball."

She allowed a frustrated sigh to pass her lips, "Yes, yes, yes. I'm sure you do," she continued to glare at the apprentice who, now apparently frozen with fear, continued to bow and apologize to her. She was beginning to feel uncomfortable, and snapped at the man, "Well? Are you going to assist me?"

The only reaction that Eriaan managed to get out of the apprentice was a startled jump. But just as Eriaan was really starting to grow frustrated with the young man, another skaa, slightly older than her by the looks of him, approached, offering an apologetic smile to her, as he steered the young apprentice in a different direction, "I'll take it from here, Pax. Natt was asking for your help in the back."

#2 Maks

Posted 26 July 2009 - 09:19 PM

Maks was glad to return to the shop. He had spent the last few hours with Dane, another apprentice to Lan, walking through the Skaa Market in search of talent and allomancy. The search had proved slightly profitable, but Maks was nearly at his wits end with Dane. Maks stood in the shop's kitchen, munching on some of the food that the cooks had made for lunch for all of the apprentices.

He eventually made his way to the main room of the shop where all of the stations were located for the apprentices, and where the nobles came to do business in the shop. Things seemed a little on the slow side, at the moment. Only one noble woman was in the shop speaking with one of the newer apprentices, Pax. The boy was only seventeen, and seemed to be incredibly intimidated by the young woman. Whether it was her looks (for she was very beautiful) or her personality, Maks didn't know. All he knew was the noblewoman was beginning to look very frustrated with the boy, and so Maks quickly walked to the front of the shop, arriving just in time to save Pax from the situation. He smiled apologetically at the lady and took Pax by the shoulders, turning him to the back of the shop, "I'll take it from here, Pax. Natt was asking for your help in the back."

Pax nodded quickly, then took off at a fast pace for the back room of the shop. Natt hadn't actually asked for him, but it wouldn't be a problem for Pax to turn up there and offer him help. Maks turned back to the lady and bowed low, "My lady. As I'm sure Pax has informed you, we can only offer an already made gown to you for the ball. Is this satisfactory?"

The woman seemed to study Maks for a moment before slowly replying, "Yes. That will be fine."

"Excellent," Maks said, smiling at the lady again, "If you'll just follow me, we can look through the gowns on the rack and pull out a few for you to try on."

#3 Eriaan

Posted 27 June 2010 - 01:50 AM

This new tailor looked oddly familiar to Eriaan. She followed him as he led her to a different part of the shop where racks and racks of beautifully crafted gowns hung. Had she met this man before? Chances were she hadn't, there were, after all, more skaa in Luthadel than she could ever hope to count. But there was something familiar about his eyes. She narrowed her eyes a little, studying his face as he searched through a rack of gowns for something for her to try on. "Did you have a particular color in mind for your gown, Lady...?"

Eriaan jumped a little when the man addressed her. She straightened her shoulders and raised her chin a little as she responded, "Yastrel. Or Lady Alea," she cleared her throat daintily, "And no, I didn't have anything in mind for this ball, but I must look ravishing. The Casuana ball is going to be a huge social event and I won't be caught underdressed for the occasion."

The man appeared to be forcing down a chuckle and Eriaan clenched her teeth slightly in annoyance, "You needn't worry about being underdressed, Lady Alea. Our gowns are the finest in all of Luthadel, of that you can be sure."

"So I've been told," she said and walked ahead of the man, eying the gowns that she passed and doing her best to keep her mouth closed. These gowns were absolutely gorgeous. From what she was seeing here, she didn't doubt that they were the finest in Luthadel, "Your apprentices could certainly use some work though. That boy that greeted me should not be allowed to deal with customers. You'll lose business because of him," she said, then grimaced a little. What would a noblewoman like her care if the shop lost business? That was a foolish thing for her to say.

"I'll... take that into consideration, my lady," the man said. He obviously thought it a strange thing for her to say too. Eriaan heard the all too familiar sound of fabric rustling behind her and turn to see the man pulling a pale lavender gown off of a rack. Eriaan struggled to keep her mouth from dropping open in amazement. It was ravishing! "I think this gown would look perfect on you, Lady Yastrel, if I may be so bold to say," he held it out to her for her to inspect the beading and embroidery on the bodice. "Would you care to try it on?"

Not trusting her voice to work properly at the moment, Eriaan simply responded with a curt nod and allowed the man to lead her to some changing stalls where a middle aged woman stood waiting to assist her into the gown.

#4 Maks

Posted 29 June 2010 - 04:11 PM

There was something about this noblewoman that didn't quite fit for Maks. She looked like and noblewoman and had the mannerisms of one, but there was just something about her that he couldn't quite put his finger on. He wouldn't be asking questions though, that would only be more trouble than it was worth, so instead, he kept puzzling it over in his mind while the lady changed into the gown.

He turned around, checking to make sure that each apprentice was on task. The shop may have been a front for the skaa Rebellion, but they also had a reputation to uphold. And that reputation rided on gorgeously made dresses. Satisfied that everyone was on task, Maks casually glanced back to the door that lead into the kitchens and was surprised to see Perrin walking toward him. The Rebellion's only Mistborn didn't usually come out into the shop, but the man was heading straight for Maks, with what looked like a worried expression on his face. That was certainly different.

"We need to talk about last night," Perrin said in a low voice when he reached Maks.

Maks cleared his throat, "Now isn't the best time. You'll have to wait for me in the kitch---"

"No. I've put up with enough from the bloody man already, and now he goes and pulls a stunt like he did last night..." Perrin shook his head, an angry fire in his eyes, "He has far too much free reign. I know you trust him, but he should have consulted, or at least warned us about that creature."

"Perrin," Maks hissed, laying a hand the man's shoulder, "I am with a client. Now is not the time. We can discuss it shortly."

The man smirked, "You still trust him completely, don't you? He is going to bring down everything that we've been working for around our ears soon enough if he keeps secrets that big from us. We're supposed to all be in this together."

"Either go back to the kitchen now, Perrin or--" Maks said, glaring up at the Mistborn.

Perrin chuckled, "Or what? You'll coppercloud me into submission?" Maks scowled. Perrin needed to leave the work area immediately. They were lucky Lady Yastrel hadn't poked her head out through the curtain in horror. At least both of them had the sense to keep their voices at a very low level. Only someone burning tin would have been able to hear their conversation, and the chances that this particular noblewoman burned tin were very, very low. "Fine. I'll wait for you in the kitchen. But if you aren't back there in half and hour, I'm coming back out here to continue where we left off."

Maks sighed with relief as the man stalked back towards the kitchen. If anyone was risking the Rebellion, it was Perrin. Talking about things like that out on the floor where any noble could hear. Idiot.

#5 Eriaan

Posted 29 June 2010 - 04:48 PM

The gown that the tailor had picked out for her was stunning. No, stunning wasn't a good enough word to describe it. Exquisite fit better, but still fell short. Eriaan had never worn something so beautiful. There was no way that she was going to wear anything else to the Casuana ball. Her mind was already made up.

She smiled at her reflection in the full length mirror that stood in the changing stall. Eriaan didn't want to take the gown off. The skaa serving woman in the stall with her silently adjusted pieces of the gown to make them lay correctly with the rest of the dress, and so Eriaan stood still, admiring herself.

As she stood there, she heard whispered voices just outside the stall. Odd, she thought. She glanced at the skaa with her, noting that the woman didn't seem to be able to hear the voices. Certainly it was only because she had her tin on a low burn that she had been able to hear them at all. Whispered conversations were usually very interesting, so Eriaan stoked her tin as high as she could without blinding herself. "...should have consulted, or at least warned us about that creature."

The voices sounded annoyed, one definitely belonged to the skaa, Maks. Eriaan listened silently, her calm smile slowly fading from her face as she concentrated on the voices. What, exactly, were they all in together? Who was risking things? And more importantly, had that man just insinuated that Maks could burn copper?! Another skaa allomancer? Incredible! And from what Eriaan could gather, they were part of some sort of crew.

She knew that she wasn't supposed to have heard that conversation, but she could barely contain her excitement as the woman with her helped her remove the lavender gown and change back into her own. Eriaan really wanted to confront Maks about what she had heard. She had only heard of a handful of other skaa allomancers like herself. The prospect of talking with one was extremely exciting. But could she approach him?

It would have to be done very carefully if she were to do it at all. But could she do it without completely spooking Maks? She would have to wait for just the right moment, that was all. And so, changed back into her own gown, Eriaan left the changing stall and grinned at the now semi-sullen looking Maks. "I'll take it," she said simply.

The man's face perked up a bit, "You found the dress satisfactory then? Excellent," he motioned for the skaa woman to take the dress away, to be packaged carefully in a box no doubt. "If you'll follow me, we can take care of payment," he said and then turned, leading Eriaan towards the back of the shop.

#6 Maks

Posted 11 July 2010 - 11:11 PM

It was a good thing that the noblewoman hadn't overheard his conversation with Perrin. No doubt if she had, she would have left immediately to inform the proper 'authorities'. But seeing as she was going to come with him to pay for the dress, they must have been safe. He led her to a small table in the back corner of the main room and pulled out an invoice sheet as he motioned for the lady to sit down. Maks marked out the gown she was purchasing and a few other details for future reference should she return to the shop.

He had tuned out much of what was going on around him as he wrote and was only half paying attention when Lady Alea said, "Perrin sounded quite upset. I hope nothing is wrong."

Maks waved his free hand casually in the air as he wrote, "The man is a fool. He---" Maks stopped abruptly, nearly swallowing his tongue in shock. He looked up; the noble before him sat with a slight smile on her face. She had heard! "My lady, I... I..."

Lady Alea laughed briefly into her hand, "You may call me Eriaan."

Eriaan? What was she talking about? Maks paused for a moment, trying to slow his brain, and heart, down from working a mile a minute. Why would I call her that? And then it dawned on him. His eyes widened a little in surprise, "Skaa?" The woman laughed again and nodded. A deep sigh of relief escaped Maks as she sank into a chair across the table from the woman, "There are less shocking ways to reveal yourself, you know, my lady?" He passed a hand over his face, heartbeat finally beginning to slow down. This was not what he needed right now, but then again, maybe it was a good thing. Before him sat a skaa, and an allomancer at that, he assumed. Obviously she was a successful impersonator; she had certainly fooled him. "A Tineye?"

"Indeed, and you're a Smoker, yes? I heard Perrin, or whoever, mention something about copperclouds," she leaned forward eagerly. She must not have come in contact with many other Skaa allomancers.

Maks nodded in affirmation, pushing the parchment in front of him away, "Here isn't exactly the best place to be discussing this though. As you can certainly testify to the fact that it is easy to overhear people if you have the right ability," he paused for a moment. This girl might be of some use to them. What with the Casuana ball approaching rapidly, a person on the inside might work to their advantage. He would have to discuss this with Ignas. For now, however, Eriaan would need to be on her way. "I may have some use for you in the future, if you're interested. A job of sorts," he grabbed a blank sheet of parchment and slid it across the table to the woman, "Write down how I can contact you and I'll send you a message as soon as I can. I would discuss this more now, but--"

"Perrin?" Eriaan asked.

He sighed, "Yes. Perrin." Maks watched as Eriaan wrote down a few lines, noting with a little surprise at how excellent her penmanship was. She must have been a very good imposter. He smiled at her, feeling more relaxed finally, "We'll be in touch then, Eriaan,"[c he stood and began to walk towards the kitchen, but paused and turned back to the girl, "Oh, and your dress should be ready to leave with you. Another apprentice can get it for you if you ask on your way out. I look forward to seeing you again, Lady Yastrel," he smiled, and then made his way back towards the kitchen where Perrin waited.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users