The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
» Forum Rules
» The Story Thus Far
» Character Application
» Frequently Asked Questions
» Character System Guide
» Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
» The Three Metallic Arts
» Guide to the Final Empire
» Map of Luthadel
» The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
» Introduce Yourself
» Universal Continuity Thread
» The Timeline
» Adoptable Characters
» Wanted Characters
» Face Registry
» Open Threads List

Mistborn Series © Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Ranee

15 replies to this topic

#1 MozytheHealer

Posse Member

Posted 26 February 2014 - 01:01 AM

Just history right now. Basic explanations of some things is that when the guy who raped Talia tried to kill her(I'm not going to go into detail about it, but she was actually kept by the guy for a while, and then tried to kill her when he was tired of her), he failed, but Ranee's got a bit of a disfigured leg because of it. Wounded in the womb, and all that. If you want that in the beginning of her history, I can totally include it.

My main questions about her history are is the almost-rape scene to explicit, and is the attack because of her allomancy a legit thing? I know that it happens in the books, but I just want to make sure that's not just because Vin's a Mistborn. The idea is that Ranee's allomancy was noticed because she was practicing and they didn't have a smoker.

EDIT! Oh! And, if you have any character that you think it would be interesting to be her father, that's totally cool. It's not required, but it would be cool.

Explanations are now over. :{D

Ranee
Skaa Misting

Posted Image

Name/Handle: Mozy! :{D

Posted Image

Name: Ranee
Type: Skaa
Place of Origin: Luthadel
Relationship Status: Single

Posted Image

Type of Powers: Misting
Metals Used: Iron
Degree of Skill: Intermediate

Posted Image

(Include height, build, hair, eyes, and their general demeanor in your description, in prose format - no subheaders, please, and no images.)

Posted Image

(Also include their moral attitudes, prejudices, and any mental disorders. Do not list, quote, or copy/paste anything from the sixteen personality types - you can use them as personal reference for your writing, but do your own work for your own character. We want to see your writing, not someone else's classifications.)

Posted Image

Special Skills: (For example, things like Reading, Writing, Knife Fighting, Lying, Observation, etc.)

Strengths: (Try to make strengths and weaknesses relevant to your character. Try to tie them into your character's personality, experiences, relationships, etc.)

Weaknesses: (Make sure your character's strengths and weaknesses are balanced. Try to avoid talking up your character's strengths and downplaying their weaknesses. We all have flaws; it's what makes us human, and our characters feel real. This is a great place to make your character even more interesting.)

Posted Image

Ranee was born to a crew leader, a woman named Talia who, at the time, was twenty-seven. She was, in fact, a child begotten from a rape. Talia only resented Ranee a little because of it, and was definitely hard on her daughter. From the moment Ranee was born she was told and shown and taught how to be the strongest woman that she could. She was well-parented, but had no excess of love from her mother.

Ranee’s earliest memories are of her mother sitting at a desk and talking to her about whatever scam or job they were currently doing. As soon as Ranee was able, Talia began to send her out as a pickpocket. Talia was always busy, and a little cold. She disliked Ranee’s limp, thinking that it would only be a bother. Ranee did all she could to show her mother that she was wrong. That was the beginning of her great ambition. Even at her young age, however, she was taught to be wary of men. They were not to be tolerated. Ever. Any time a man touched her, it was a bad sign. Talia tried to teach Ranee how to fight, but found that the disfiguring of her leg was to difficult to deal with.

As she grew up, Ranee became even better at pickpocketing and her mother stopped being quite as protective. She had, apparently, decided that she had told Ranee to be careful enough times and now Ranee just needed to teach herself how to do things. Every thief had their own quirks, and Ranee needed to find out what hers were. It went well, and Ranee excelled at thieving. She was also growing into quite the leader, commanding the presence of a room whenever she wished. Talia was only a little worried about that, hoping that with it came good sense and that Ranee wouldn’t get into too much trouble. She was not growing into a woman, but a leader. Ranee had been taught that to be a woman was to be weak and vulnerable.

Ranee was thirteen when she snapped. Despite her small size and her bad leg, she was filling out into a pretty, if a little plain, young woman. One of the newer crew members had noticed her talking to Talia and when Ranee left the room to go to her mother’s office and get something, he followed her. He thought that she looked weak, what with her limp and her feminine, noble features. He approached her in the hallway and she, knowing from her mother that this was a bad sign, backed up into a door. She could run away if she had to. She could scream as well. She also fingered the little knife that Talia had given her when she had turned five. The man noticed, of course, and pinned the hand with the knife to the door. His other hand went to her mouth and she closed her eyes. He was making a mistake. She knew it. As soon as her mother noticed that she’d been gone for too long, she’d come looking.

That didn’t stop her from struggling, though, and she used her free hand to open the door and bolt through. There was another door that led to the outside and she prayed it wasn’t locked. The man overcame her pushed her against the wall. Even after she had dropped the knife and the man hand taken his hand away from her arm to get her shirt off, she knew that he wouldn’t be able to do anything. No matter how incredibly terrified she was, her mother would come looking. And then he kissed her roughly and suddenly there was something inside her. It was an odd, small, something, but she didn’t think about it much. All she knew was her rage and terror and then the man was dead. His back was littered with holes from the entry wounds of the nails in the door behind him.

One of the nails had grazed her side, but she didn’t think about it. She needed to get her mother. Someone was dead. She’d killed someone. No matter what he was going to do with her, she’d killed him. She didn’t even know how. The slaming of the door hitting the floor behind her brought her back to reality and she pulled her shirt back on. Surely someone had heard it. She couldn’t be here. How had she gotten the nails out? The man was dead! Killed by a thirteen-year-old girl with a limp! And somehow she’d gotten nails out of a door without even doing anything! What was the thing she had felt? It was gone now.

All this ran through her head as she ran out to Talia. She pulled her mother’s arm and almost dragged her back to the man, not realizing that she was crying. “Mama. Mama. I don’t know what happened, mama. One minute he had me against the door, and then he was dead. Mama, what’s going on? What did I do?”

Talia looked frightened and confused, but she knelt down and pulled her daughter into a hug. “You did good, Nee. He deserved it. Had I known he was like this, I would’ve killed him myself.”

Ranee nodded and pulled away from her mother. “How’d I do it? There was something…something inside of me. Like a little warmth.”

“We can talk about that later, Nee. First we have to get rid of the body.”

After that Talia rarely talked to her daughter. There was something definitely wrong. Ranee, however, became less confused and began to figure out who she was. She used her training on how to be a noblewoman and became a young woman. She didn’t wear skirts, but she did hold herself like a woman and she only got away with it by threatening anyone who came to close to her. She perfected a face that got the message across that she wasn’t kidding.

Eventually, when Ranee was fifteen, Talia explained why she had been so distant. “Nee, you can’t stay here. Take this vial, and go. You’re too dangerous now.”

Ranee would have been confused if she didn’t know it herself. When she had her small reserve of strength, had practiced with whatever power it was. She could pull on pieces of metal and catch them when they flew at her. “I understand, mama. What’s that?”

“Nee, I’ve been thinking about it a lot, but do you remember what I told you about your father?”

“Yes, mama. You said that he was a drunk noble who came across you while you were undercover. That’s why I have my bad leg.” Ranee answered, with the same respect she always used with her mother.

Talia nodded. “He gave you something else. A terrible power that you must learn how to use. It will help you, but you can’t stay here. In the vial is Iron. Take it and learn. I know that you’ve been experimenting lately.”

Ranee nodded and hugged her mother before saying goodbye and gathering the few personal possessions she had.

Only a week later was the attack. Everyone was dead. Ranee only heard about it afterwards, through the underground, and then she felt something new. Sadness. It wasn’t shock, terror, or rage. It was sadness. She resolved to be better. She didn’t know that it was her allomancy that had been the cause of the attack.

Posted Image

(A scene from this character's viewpoint. Take care in picking a scene. It could be a scene from the past or it could happen practically during current events. In any case, write something important to the character so everyone can truly feel the character)

Edited by MozytheHealer, 26 February 2014 - 01:07 AM.

PCs:

Delve, Silvan Calomine, Zella Calomine, Liss

Renette Deveaux, Marceline Dumont

Isabelle Sureau, Gisela Sureau,

Adalaide Getrue, Oliver Martel,

Grandell Tekiel, Yvette Valcier,

Katryn Domaille

WIPs:

Ranee, Delacey,

Theodoric Getrue, Kyl,

Vanessa Venture, Cedric Hallieau

Cordelia Morel, Kennith Fathvell

NPCs:

Issa Calomine, Randall Scanlan

#2 KChan

Atium Chandelier

Posted 26 February 2014 - 02:41 AM

Good job so far! The attack can definitely be a real thing; after all, it's easier to just kill a bunch of skaa than it is to try and find which of them is the Allomancer. It's not unrealistic to think that the whole crew was killed, especially if Inquisitors were involved.

As for content, most of it is absolutely fine. This phrase, however, needs to be clarified:

And then he kissed her roughly and suddenly there was something inside her. It was an odd, small, something, but she didn’t think about it much.

I'm guessing you mean the feeling of Allomancy? But given the context of this scene, it could also mean *hem* something else. It's prooobably best to clarify that. ^^;

Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 MozytheHealer

Posse Member

Posted 26 February 2014 - 02:50 AM

I realized that when I went back through to reread what I had so far. I'm surprised at myself for not catching it. I just haven't figured out how to describe the cache of allomantic power when the person using allomancy doesn't realize what it is.

So here's edited, WITH APPEARANCE! :{D

Ranee
Skaa Misting

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ranee is a fairly average height and build, just a little on the slim side. She has pale skin and hair, and noble features. She shares few features with her dark haired, skaa mother except her build. Ranee’s face is noble and delicate, with soft lines and high cheekbones.

Ranee holds herself with confidence and she doesn’t hide her femininity. Instead she wears blouses cut for women and pants that accented her hips. Despite her rather plain, noble face, she has a look that she gives people that says that she’s not to be trifled with. When that doesn’t work she then pulls on the knife that usually sits next to her on the table, which scares anyone who is being disrespectful and that’s how she’s been able to command the respect she has.

She is not perfect, though she commands respect and attention. She bears scars from her past, and she walks with a limp. Her right leg is disfigured and scarred from when her noble father had attempted to kill her mother. She is a weak fighter because of that, and she was also born quite a few weeks early resulting in her being small for most of her life.

Posted Image

(Also include their moral attitudes, prejudices, and any mental disorders. Do not list, quote, or copy/paste anything from the sixteen personality types - you can use them as personal reference for your writing, but do your own work for your own character. We want to see your writing, not someone else's classifications.)

Posted Image

Special Skills: (For example, things like Reading, Writing, Knife Fighting, Lying, Observation, etc.)

Strengths: (Try to make strengths and weaknesses relevant to your character. Try to tie them into your character's personality, experiences, relationships, etc.)

Weaknesses: (Make sure your character's strengths and weaknesses are balanced. Try to avoid talking up your character's strengths and downplaying their weaknesses. We all have flaws; it's what makes us human, and our characters feel real. This is a great place to make your character even more interesting.)

Posted Image

Ranee was born to a crew leader, a woman named Talia who, at the time, was twenty-seven. She was, in fact, a child begotten from a rape. Talia only resented Ranee a little because of it, and was definitely hard on her daughter. From the moment Ranee was born she was told and shown and taught how to be the strongest woman that she could. She was well-parented, but had no excess of love from her mother.

Ranee’s earliest memories are of her mother sitting at a desk and talking to her about whatever scam or job they were currently doing. As soon as Ranee was able, Talia began to send her out as a pickpocket. Talia was always busy, and a little cold. She disliked Ranee’s limp, thinking that it would only be a bother. Ranee did all she could to show her mother that she was wrong. That was the beginning of her great ambition. Even at her young age, however, she was taught to be wary of men. They were not to be tolerated. Ever. Any time a man touched her, it was a bad sign. Talia tried to teach Ranee how to fight, but found that the disfiguring of her leg was to difficult to deal with.

As she grew up, Ranee became even better at pickpocketing and her mother stopped being quite as protective. She had, apparently, decided that she had told Ranee to be careful enough times and now Ranee just needed to teach herself how to do things. Every thief had their own quirks, and Ranee needed to find out what hers were. It went well, and Ranee excelled at thieving. She was also growing into quite the leader, commanding the presence of a room whenever she wished. Talia was only a little worried about that, hoping that with it came good sense and that Ranee wouldn’t get into too much trouble. She was not growing into a woman, but a leader. Ranee had been taught that to be a woman was to be weak and vulnerable.

Ranee was thirteen when she snapped. Despite her small size and her bad leg, she was filling out into a pretty, if a little plain, young woman. One of the newer crew members had noticed her talking to Talia and when Ranee left the room to go to her mother’s office and get something, he followed her. He thought that she looked weak, what with her limp and her feminine, noble features. He approached her in the hallway and she, knowing from her mother that this was a bad sign, backed up into a door. She could run away if she had to. She could scream as well. She also fingered the little knife that Talia had given her when she had turned five. The man noticed, of course, and pinned the hand with the knife to the door. His other hand went to her mouth and she closed her eyes. He was making a mistake. She knew it. As soon as her mother noticed that she’d been gone for too long, she’d come looking.

That didn’t stop her from struggling, though, and she used her free hand to open the door and bolt through. There was another door that led to the outside and she prayed it wasn’t locked. The man overcame her pushed her against the wall. Even after she had dropped the knife and the man hand taken his hand away from her arm to get her shirt off, she knew that he wouldn’t be able to do anything. No matter how incredibly terrified she was, her mother would come looking. And then he kissed her roughly and suddenly there was something inside of her mind. A small cache of something. She didn’t have to think about it much to use it. All she knew was her rage and terror and then the man was dead. His back was littered with holes from the entry wounds of the nails in the door behind him.

One of the nails had grazed her side, but she didn’t think about it. She needed to get her mother. Someone was dead. She’d killed someone. No matter what he was going to do with her, she’d killed him. She didn’t even know how. The slaming of the door hitting the floor behind her brought her back to reality and she pulled her shirt back on. Surely someone had heard it. She couldn’t be here. How had she gotten the nails out? The man was dead! Killed by a thirteen-year-old girl with a limp! And somehow she’d gotten nails out of a door without even doing anything! What was the thing she had felt? It was gone now.

All this ran through her head as she ran out to Talia. She pulled her mother’s arm and almost dragged her back to the man, not realizing that she was crying. “Mama. Mama. I don’t know what happened, mama. One minute he had me against the door, and then he was dead. Mama, what’s going on? What did I do?”

Talia looked frightened and confused, but she knelt down and pulled her daughter into a hug. “You did good, Nee. He deserved it. Had I known he was like this, I would’ve killed him myself.”

Ranee nodded and pulled away from her mother. “How’d I do it? There was something…something inside of me. Like a little warmth.”

After that Talia rarely talked to her daughter. There was something definitely wrong. Ranee, however, became less confused and began to figure out who she was. She used her training on how to be a noblewoman and became a young woman. She didn’t wear skirts, but she did hold herself like a woman and she only got away with it by threatening anyone who came to close to her. She perfected a face that got the message across that she wasn’t kidding.

Eventually, when Ranee was fifteen, Talia explained why she had been so distant. “Nee, you can’t stay here. Take this vial, and go. You’re too dangerous now.”

Ranee would have been confused if she didn’t know it herself. When she had her small reserve of strength, had practiced with whatever power it was. She could pull on pieces of metal and catch them when they flew at her. “I understand, mama. What’s that?”

“Nee, I’ve been thinking about it a lot, but do you remember what I told you about your father?”

“Yes, mama. You said that he was a drunk noble who came across you while you were undercover. That’s why I have my bad leg.” Ranee answered, with the same respect she always used with her mother.

Talia nodded. “He gave you something else. A terrible power that you must learn how to use. It will help you, but you can’t stay here. In the vial is Iron. Take it and learn. I know that you’ve been experimenting lately.”

Ranee nodded and hugged her mother before saying goodbye and gathering the few personal possessions she had.

Only a week later was the attack. Everyone was dead. Ranee only heard about it afterwards, through the underground, and then she felt something new. Sadness. It wasn’t shock, terror, or rage. It was sadness. She resolved to be better. She didn’t know that it was her allomancy that had been the cause of the attack.

Posted Image

(A scene from this character's viewpoint. Take care in picking a scene. It could be a scene from the past or it could happen practically during current events. In any case, write something important to the character so everyone can truly feel the character)

Edited by MozytheHealer, 26 February 2014 - 02:52 AM.

PCs:

Katryn Domaille

WIPs:

Ranee, Delacey,

Theodoric Getrue, Kyl,

NPCs:

#4 MozytheHealer

Posse Member

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:00 PM

Tada! Apologies for the double post, but her app is done now(except for RP sample, but that will hopefully come soon).

Ranee
Skaa Misting

Posted Image

Contact: Punny Magnets. They speak in only magnetically awesome puns.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ranee is a fairly average height and build, just a little on the slim side. She has pale skin and hair, and noble features. She shares few features with her dark haired, skaa mother except her build. Ranee’s face is noble and delicate, with soft lines and high cheekbones.

Ranee holds herself with confidence and she doesn’t hide her femininity. Instead she wears blouses cut for women and pants that accented her hips. Despite her rather plain, noble face, she has a look that she gives people that says that she’s not to be trifled with. When that doesn’t work she then pulls on the knife that usually sits next to her on the table, which scares anyone who is being disrespectful and that’s how she’s been able to command the respect she has.

She is not perfect, though she commands respect and attention. She bears scars from her past, and she walks with a limp. Her right leg is disfigured and scarred from when her noble father had attempted to kill her mother. She is a weak fighter because of that, and she was also born quite a few weeks early resulting in her being small for most of her life.

Posted Image

Ranee is a hard, cold young woman. She rarely smiles, though she does feel emotion, and her face is hard. She is primarily a leader, which she is good at. She does care, even though she is afraid to let people in too far. She is willing to fight the terrible conditions she was born into in her own small way, though she would never join the rebellion. That would be much too risky.

She is a kind-hearted woman, though, and fiercely protective of those she leads and cares about. She doesn’t want to loose anyone else. What she lacks physically she makes up for in attitude. She has a subtle sense of humour, which is contrary to her lack of smiles, but she sometimes amuses herself with it. She insists on knowing all those she works with personally, even if that just means that she knows their name and age. She does understand that sometimes people don’t want to give a stranger their life story, but her goal with all her subordinates is to not be a stranger.

Posted Image

Special Skills: Leading, acting like a noblewoman, thieving.

Strengths: Ranee is an amazing leader, and can act like nobody’s business. She is quite the allomancer, having only been trained by herself and Hal, neither of whom had any personal experience with alomancy except for Ranee’s experiments. She is a quick-thinker, and knows exactly how to show her platoon that she does feel, and is good at rewarding them when they do well. Conversely, she is not afraid of punishing anyone who crosses lines, or talks to much.

Weaknesses: Ranee is wary of any relationship that goes past a normal friendship, and even then she is uncomfortable. Any touch is startling and bad to her. It will more often than not get you littered with metal. She is a weak fighter because of her limp, and can be unsettlingly cold sometimes.

Posted Image

That didn’t stop her from struggling, though, and she used her free hand to open the door and bolt through. There was another door that led to the outside and she prayed it wasn’t locked. The man overcame her pushed her against the wall. Even after she had dropped the knife and the man hand taken his hand away from her arm to get her shirt off, she knew that he wouldn’t be able to do anything. No matter how incredibly terrified she was, her mother would come looking. And then he kissed her roughly and suddenly there was something inside of her mind. A small cache of something. She didn’t have to think about it much to use it. All she knew was her rage and terror and then the man was dead. His back was littered with holes from the entry wounds of the nails in the door behind him.

She intended to work alone after that. She had never had to find a crew before, and she preferred to figure out her power where she couldn’t hurt anyone. She had no idea what it was that she was doing, until she finally found someone who could explain to her what she could do. That was a few months into her self-training. The man, who said his name was Hal, explained to her that she was a misting. What she did was apparently called allomancy. Ranee was irritated that her mother had obviously known what she was and yet hadn’t bothered to explain.

Hal, though he himself wasn’t an allomancer, told her that he would help her try to figure out her power. She was wary of men, so she made sure that Hal knew that she was not interested in anything apart from learning how to use her allomancy. He seemed to understand her, as he was respectful. When she asked a month later he said that he was only seventeen, but had had an allomancer father, which was why he knew so much. She didn’t try to ask him where his parents were now, and he never asked her the samee. She was glad of it.

It only took her three months to realize that Hal was really quite attractive. She was nearly sixteen by that point, and had finished growing. She found that it was starting to be more difficult to focus when he got close to her and her heart beat quickly. She didn’t know why. It was kind of irritating.

It didn’t take long for Hal to notice that something was up and Ranee didn’t hide it well when he asked about it. She was surprised at how well he took it, considering how she had been when they first met. He also took it well that she didn’t want him to touch her, despite how she felt. She felt that she needed to explain, but he was kind about it and didn’t make her. Hal was an incredibly easy-going guy, she noticed as he spoke to her later that night. He didn’t talk about her insecurities and instead just talked about the plans he had for the next day’s work.

Hal became the first man to touch her intimately since she was almost raped. They’d known each other for eight months when he kissed her. It was after a particularly good day of thieving and they were celebrating at her hideout when he took her hand and, after a moment of embarrassment, kissed her. At first she was tense and had pulled away from him. He apologized for startling her and she shook her head.

“It’s nothing.” She had murmured, looking back at him. She didn’t kiss him, but she did let him pull her close. She had never felt this way before. She felt safe. “You just startled me.”

Hal seemed to understand that it was the kind of nothing you just didn’t ask about. He kissed her forehead and whispered something to her that she didn’t catch. She could guess it, though.

Unfortunately for their budding love, a mere month later Hal was killed by a nobleman. He was caught pulling the man’s wallet out of his pocket. Once again, Ranee wasn’t there to see him die, but she found his body in an alleyway when he didn’t arrive at their hideout that night.

Ranee was broken. After Talia’s death she had been resolved to work alone for the rest of her life, but then Hal had changed that. He’d given her a love that she’d never experienced before. It had not been a physical relationship, but he had been gentle and quiet with her. She fell into a sort of depression. She continued to steal and scam, but she didn’t enjoy it anymore. When she emerged from the extreme sadness, she was colder than before. She still felt emotion, but she was not going to let anyone else in. She knew that it was silly and that she was still quite young, being only sixteen, but she was tired of the people she loved dying.

She slowly grew her reputation over the next year. She didn’t work with anyone, but it didn’t make her a worse thief. She had a pale pink silk dress that she kept clean for small size scams. Eventually much of the underground knew of the young girl with magic powers who was growing to be a new terror of the Luthadel backstreets.

That was when Ras approached her in an attempt to recruit her to his crew. At first she was wary. Ranee liked what she had. However, after speaking with him, she agreed. She kept her hideout usable, but moved to his crew’s hideout. It only took a few months for her to gain an even bigger reputation in his crew than she had ever had. She flaunted her allomancy, as she always had, and flew through the ranks.

Part of her was glad that she had been able to get past the tragedies in her life to get to this place. She still limped, which was detrimental, but all she had gone through had taught her how to lead effectively and within two-and-a-half years had become the corporal of the Iron Platoon, which she found ironic. She continued to gain respect, but every new member of her platoon went through the same stages. First they would be incredulous that a young, girly girl would be leading them, and then she’d speak and show that she wasn’t a girl. Some were harder to convince than others, but they followed her eventually.

Posted Image

Edited by MozytheHealer, 26 February 2014 - 10:00 PM.

PCs:

Katryn Domaille

WIPs:

Ranee, Delacey,

Theodoric Getrue, Kyl,

NPCs:

#5 Tal Spektor

Skaa

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:46 PM

I would make her "almost 21", because it implies being young much better IMHO.

You need to say what sort of leader she is.

Have not found much else yet, except for the history going in and out of summary form, which I always find annoying.
Is an insane A.I.

#6 MozytheHealer

Posse Member

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:03 PM

I'm not partial to the summery with a few scenes thing, but it's the only way I can really set up the relationships between some people.

What do you mean? I mostly just mean that she's really charismatic and knows how to motivate people.

PCs:

Katryn Domaille

WIPs:

Ranee, Delacey,

Theodoric Getrue, Kyl,

NPCs:

#7 Tal Spektor

Skaa

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:19 PM

Some of the leader types I know:
Army boot camp (has all the power, gonna shout, will hate you)
Pathsetter (tells you what to do, motivates you)
Birthing leader (will try to get everyone's take on this, then decide with them what is best)
First among equals (considers your opinion an important thing, but takes much more initiative)
Democratic (does everything by democracy, is virtually a non-leader)

What is she?

Try writing some history, then going in with a divider:

Tal was rather annoyed, and shouted "Kawabanga!"

And then the history resumed.

But you can also avoid that.
Is an insane A.I.

#8 Mailliw73

Riordan Casuana's Reputation

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:12 AM

Aw, Hal. :'(

I really like what you've done with her, Mozy! I don't see anything that doesn't fit or I don't like. I think it might be a bit better if you added a bit more about her present interactions with her Platoon or the Crew as a whole.

Oh, and, Mozy and Tal, I decided that the Sergeant, Hain, is a Smoker for you two.
-Mailliw73

-Player Characters-
Wilor Zerrung, Prelan Matarn (Workshop), Rikor (pending acceptance), Kler

House Zerrung

Archived (for now):

Aspir Elariel (WIP), Lord Gustav Bulvier (WIP), Maxill Seraphino (Under Revision), Abryn Zerrung (Still Writing), Rasdon (WIP)

#9 MozytheHealer

Posse Member

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:32 AM

I definitely do want to elaborate on that topic, but I wasn't sure. I was going to ask about it, actually, but was busy. :{D

PCs:

Katryn Domaille

WIPs:

Ranee, Delacey,

Theodoric Getrue, Kyl,

NPCs:

#10 KChan

Atium Chandelier

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:58 AM

I actually really like the snippets of narrative in the history. They do a great job of showing us who Ranee is as a person, not to mention how her history affected her and shaped her into the person she is. Definitely leave those in. I don't think dividers are necessary either; you transition just fine between the in-character narrations and the omniscient summary. But then again, anyone who's read certain of my apps knows I'm partial to a good selection of narrative in a history. XD

For now, my main comment has to do with the early part of her history. You mention that she was growing into a leader, but there's little elaboration. I'd like to see a little bit more there. The description of her developing a commanding presence is a good start, but I feel like this section could be fleshed out a little so you're showing us instead of telling. Hope that helps! ^^

Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 MozytheHealer

Posse Member

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:10 AM

Guess what! Her history is 3010 words now! :{D

Ranee
Skaa Misting

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ranee is a hard, cold young woman. She rarely smiles, though she does feel emotion, and her face is hard. She is primarily a leader, which she is good at. She does care, even though she is afraid to let people in too far. She is willing to fight the terrible conditions she was born into in her own small way, though she would never join the rebellion. That would be much too risky. She is charismatic, smart, and occasionally rather harsh. She does listen to those who work under her, but will not respect an opinion that can’t be backed up with good logic and sense.

She is a kind-hearted woman, though, and fiercely protective of those she leads and cares about. She doesn’t want to loose anyone else. What she lacks physically she makes up for in attitude. She has a subtle sense of humour, which is contrary to her lack of smiles, but she sometimes amuses herself with it. She insists on knowing all those she works with personally, even if that just means that she knows their name and age. She does understand that sometimes people don’t want to give a stranger their life story, but her goal with all her subordinates is to not be a stranger.

Posted Image

Strengths: Ranee is an amazing leader, and can act like nobody’s business. She is quite the allomancer, having only been trained by herself and Hal, neither of whom had any personal experience with alomancy except for Ranee’s experiments. She is a quick-thinker, and knows exactly how to show her platoon that she does feel, and is good at rewarding them when they do well. Conversely, she is not afraid of punishing anyone who crosses lines, or talks to much.

Weaknesses: Ranee is wary of any relationship that goes past a normal friendship, and even then she is uncomfortable. Any touch is startling and bad to her. It will more often than not get you littered with metal. She is a weak fighter because of her limp, and can be unsettlingly cold sometimes.

Posted Image

Ranee’s earliest memories are of her mother sitting at a desk and talking to her about whatever scam or job they were currently doing. As soon as Ranee was able, Talia began to send her out as a pickpocket. Talia was always busy, and a little cold. She disliked Ranee’s limp, thinking that it would only be a bother. Ranee did all she could to show her mother that she was wrong. That was the beginning of her great ambition. Even at her young age, however, she was taught to be wary of men. They were not to be tolerated. Ever. Any time a man touched her, it was a bad sign. Talia tried to teach Ranee how to fight, but found that the disfiguring of her leg was to difficult to deal with. She then decided that instead of fighting, she’d teach Ranee how to read, which Ranee didn’t find interesting at all. She learned it, but was not very good.

As she grew up, Ranee became even better at pickpocketing and her mother stopped being quite as protective. She had, apparently, decided that she had told Ranee to be careful enough times and now Ranee just needed to teach herself how to do things. Every thief had their own quirks, and Ranee needed to find out what hers were. It went well, and Ranee excelled at thieving. She was also growing into quite the little leader, commanding the presence of a room whenever she wished. She was charismatic and friendly, and knew from watching her mother how to talk to those who were under one’s control. Talia was only a little worried about that, hoping that with it came good sense and that Ranee wouldn’t get into too much trouble.

At ten she could command the presence of the room without even trying. She had almost as much respect from her mother’s small crew as Talia herself. It resulted, however, in her getting in verbal fights with some of the members who didn’t like being bossed around by a ten-year-old with a limp. She had attitude, and carried herself with knowledge that she could stop a man with a look. Her mother didn’t realize this and how dangerous it was for Ranee until Ranee got into a shouting match with her mother’s second-in-command, Atrin. He had called her a ‘stupid little bastard girl’, obviously not realizing that it really was a kind of stupid insult, which she then pointed out to him explaining that there were really better ways to insult her.

“Oh, and now you’re correcting my insults? It was bad enough when you started getting your hands all over my plans.” He said with a snarl.

Ranee rolled her eyes, pointing at the paper in front of him. “You can’t even write. That’s gibberish. You just do it so that you can feel as smart as Mama.”

The man looked stunned for a minute and then snapped at her. “How d’you know my plan, then?”

“You were muttering under your breath like an idiot.” Ranee answered with sass.

“An idiot am I? Shut it. I don’t even know why your whore mother lets you in here.” It was said in passing, but Ranee took great offence at it.

“Mama’s not a whore!” She protested, raising her voice so that the entire room could hear what she was saying.

“How’d she have you, then? You see a husband anywhere?” He shouted back, taking Ranee’s bait.

“How’d she have me? She was raped, or didn’t you hear about that? It’s not like it’s a secret!” Ranee was actually angry now. “You forget that, moron? You’re a forgetful moron, idiot, and your plan is terrible! It’s just gonna get us all killed!”

The door to the hallway flew open and Talia stepped into the room. All when silent.

“MAMA! He called you a whore and won’t admit that his plan is stupid!” Ranee said, almost complaining. “And he can’t even write!”

“Keep your voice down, Nee. Not everyone is as smart as you are.” Talia said calmly, approaching Atrin. “You will not shout at Nee again, or I will dispose of you. Understand?”

Atrin wrinkled his nose and sat down angrily. Talia gave him a look and left. Ranee smiled smugly.

She intended to work alone after that. She had never had to find a crew before, and she preferred to figure out her power where she couldn’t hurt anyone. She had no idea what it was that she was doing, until she finally found someone who could explain to her what she could do. That was a few months into her self-training. The man, who said his name was Hal, explained to her that she was a misting. What she did was apparently called allomancy. Ranee was irritated that her mother had obviously known what she was and yet hadn’t bothered to explain.

Hal, though he himself wasn’t an allomancer, told her that he would help her try to figure out her power. She was wary of men, so she made sure that Hal knew that she was not interested in anything apart from learning how to use her allomancy. He seemed to understand her, as he was respectful. When she asked a month later he said that he was only seventeen, but had had an allomancer father, which was why he knew so much. She didn’t try to ask him where his parents were now, and he never asked her the samee. She was glad of it.

It only took her three months to realize that Hal was really quite attractive. She was nearly sixteen by that point, and had finished growing. She found that it was starting to be more difficult to focus when he got close to her and her heart beat quickly. She didn’t know why. It was kind of irritating.

It didn’t take long for Hal to notice that something was up and Ranee didn’t hide it well when he asked about it. She was surprised at how well he took it, considering how she had been when they first met. He also took it well that she didn’t want him to touch her, despite how she felt. She felt that she needed to explain, but he was kind about it and didn’t make her. Hal was an incredibly easy-going guy, she noticed as he spoke to her later that night. He didn’t talk about her insecurities and instead just talked about the plans he had for the next day’s work.

Hal became the first man to touch her intimately since she was almost raped. They’d known each other for eight months when he kissed her. It was after a particularly good day of thieving and they were celebrating at her hideout when he took her hand and, after a moment of embarrassment, kissed her. At first she was tense and had pulled away from him. He apologized for startling her and she shook her head.

“It’s nothing.” She had murmured, looking back at him. She didn’t kiss him, but she did let him pull her close. She had never felt this way before. She felt safe. “You just startled me.”

Hal seemed to understand that it was the kind of nothing you just didn’t ask about. He kissed her forehead and whispered something to her that she didn’t catch. She could guess it, though.

Unfortunately for their budding love, a mere month later Hal was killed by a nobleman. He was caught pulling the man’s wallet out of his pocket. Once again, Ranee wasn’t there to see him die, but she found his body in an alleyway when he didn’t arrive at their hideout that night.

Ranee was broken. After Talia’s death she had been resolved to work alone for the rest of her life, but then Hal had changed that. He’d given her a love that she’d never experienced before. It had not been a physical relationship, but he had been gentle and quiet with her. She fell into a sort of depression. She continued to steal and scam, but she didn’t enjoy it anymore. When she emerged from the extreme sadness, she was colder than before. She still felt emotion, but she was not going to let anyone else in. She knew that it was silly and that she was still quite young, being only sixteen, but she was tired of the people she loved dying.

She slowly grew her reputation over the next year. She didn’t work with anyone, but it didn’t make her a worse thief. She had a pale pink silk dress that she kept clean for small size scams. Eventually much of the underground knew of the young girl with magic powers who was growing to be a new terror of the Luthadel backstreets.

That was when Ras approached her in an attempt to recruit her to his crew. At first she was wary. Ranee liked what she had. However, after speaking with him, she agreed. She kept her hideout usable, but moved to his crew’s hideout. It only took a few months for her to gain an even bigger reputation in his crew than she had ever had. She flaunted her allomancy, as she always had, and flew through the ranks.

Part of her was glad that she had been able to get past the tragedies in her life to get to this place. She still limped, which was detrimental, but all she had gone through had taught her how to lead effectively and within two-and-a-half years had become the corporal of the Iron Platoon, which she found ironic. She continued to gain respect, but every new member of her platoon went through the same stages. First they would be incredulous that a young, girly girl would be leading them, and then she’d speak and show that she wasn’t a girl. Some were harder to convince than others, but they followed her eventually.

At first there was some tension between her and the man appointed as her Sergeant. Hain obviously didn’t like being led by someone who was only nineteen(and-a-half). She knew that to him it looked like she would be inexperienced and unable to deal with the actual leadership duties in a crew. It took her a few weeks to convince him that she could lead, and required her to show that she knew exactly what she was doing. The opportunity came when a scam was almost botched up by someone who was quite new to all this. He had been too nervous and made the target suspicious.

“Hain, I’ve got a plan.” She said that night, sitting in a chair with her back to her desk. “How do you feel about letting me out there?”

“You? But--“

“It’s not that odd to have a limp, and I have a dress. If I went out tomorrow for the meeting, I can fix it.” Ranee crossed her arms and gave Hain a look that said that he had little choice.

Suffice it to say, her plan worked and Hain began to respect her opinion more after that. It was slow, but though they weren’t bosom friends, they had a mutual respect. It was a similar struggle with a lot of her subordinates, but none of them took as long as Hain.

She tried to find common ground with Kyne after she joined the Iron Platoon, and only succeeded in learning that a power that Ranee found amazing someone else could dislike. Ranee relied on her allomancy to reinforce her charisma and respect, and hadn’t realized that not everyone saw it that way. She had to apologize to Kyne and explain that if she didn’t want to use allomancy much, Ranee could be the primary lurcher of the platoon. She tried hard to be respectful of her subordinate’s wishes.

Currently she has a good standing with all her platoon, and hasn’t had to many opportunities to show off, which almost disappoints her. However, she knows that the more respect she has, the better, and so she tries not to complain. Ranee does, though, use allomancy to pull on unnecessary things, just because it’s easier.

Posted Image

PCs:

Katryn Domaille

WIPs:

Ranee, Delacey,

Theodoric Getrue, Kyl,

NPCs:

#12 MozytheHealer

Posse Member

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:14 AM

LOOK! It got even longer! :{D

Ranee
Skaa Misting

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ranee is a hard, cold young woman. She rarely smiles, though she does feel emotion, and her face is hard. She is primarily a leader, which she is good at. She does care, even though she is afraid to let people in too far. She is willing to fight the terrible conditions she was born into in her own small way, though she would never join the rebellion. That would be much too risky. She is charismatic, smart, and occasionally rather harsh. She does listen to those who work under her, but will not respect an opinion that can’t be backed up with good logic and sense.

She’s quite moody, which is a result of the emotional trauma her mother went through during her pregnancy. Ranee is high-maintenance, though she’s learned how to control it as she got older. She takes a lot of critiques personally, even if they aren’t meant that way, and has a quick temper. She’s also slow to trust, though that is more because of her past and not because of her mother.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ranee was born to a crew leader, a woman named Talia who, at the time, was twenty-seven. She was, in fact, a child begotten from a rape. Talia had been mistaken for a prostitute and taken by a drunk nobleman. He kept her until he noticed that his skaa girl was pregnant. He beat Talia and cast her out, thinking her dead. Ranee was born six months later with a disfigured leg. She was born early, and was one of the moodiest babies ever. Talia only resented Ranee a little because of the rape, and was definitely hard on her daughter. From the moment Ranee was born she was told and shown and taught how to be the strongest woman that she could. She was well-parented, but had no excess of love from her mother.

Ranee’s earliest memories are of her mother sitting at a desk and talking to her about whatever scam or job they were currently doing. As soon as Ranee was able, Talia began to send her out as a pickpocket. Talia was always busy, and a little cold. She disliked Ranee’s limp, thinking that it would only be a bother. Ranee did all she could to show her mother that she was wrong. That was the beginning of her great ambition. Even at her young age, however, she was taught to be wary of men. They were not to be tolerated. Ever. Any time a man touched her, it was a bad sign. Talia tried to teach Ranee how to fight, but found that the disfiguring of her leg was to difficult to deal with. She then decided that instead of fighting, she’d teach Ranee how to read, which Ranee didn’t find interesting at all, and complained to her mother until she finally snapped.

“You know what, Nee, if you want to be smart and lead your own crew someday, you’ve gotta learn how to read.” She said angrily, rolling her eyes at her four-year-old daughter. Ranee pouted and looked away from the string of letters.

“It doesn’t make sense, mama.” She complained, crossing her arms.

“Not at first it doesn’t, but if you practice reading, it’ll be easier.” Talia said, still irritated. Ranee felt annoyed. Her mama shouldn’t be so irritated when she’d given Ranee an impossible task. “Sit down and pay attention. Someday you’ll thank me.”

Surprisingly for the young Ranee, she did. Eventually.

As she grew up, Ranee became even better at pickpocketing and her mother stopped being quite as protective. She had, apparently, decided that she had told Ranee to be careful enough times and now Ranee just needed to teach herself how to do things. Every thief had their own quirks, and Ranee needed to find out what hers were. It went well, and Ranee excelled at thieving. She was also growing into quite the little leader, commanding the presence of a room whenever she wished. She was charismatic and friendly, and knew from watching her mother how to talk to those who were under one’s control. Talia was only a little worried about that, hoping that with it came good sense and that Ranee wouldn’t get into too much trouble.

At ten she could command the presence of the room without even trying. She had almost as much respect from her mother’s small crew as Talia herself. It resulted, however, in her getting in verbal fights with some of the members who didn’t like being bossed around by a ten-year-old with a limp. She had attitude, and carried herself with knowledge that she could stop a man with a look. Her mother didn’t realize this and how dangerous it was for Ranee until Ranee got into a shouting match with her mother’s second-in-command, Atrin. He had called her a ‘stupid little bastard girl’, obviously not realizing that it really was a kind of stupid insult, which she then pointed out to him explaining that there were really better ways to insult her.

“Oh, and now you’re correcting my insults? It was bad enough when you started getting your hands all over my plans.” He said with a snarl.

Ranee rolled her eyes, pointing at the paper in front of him. “You can’t even write. That’s gibberish. You just do it so that you can feel as smart as Mama.”

The man looked stunned for a minute and then snapped at her. “How d’you know my plan, then?”

“An idiot am I? Shut it. I don’t even know why your whore mother lets you in here.” It was said in passing, but Ranee took great offence at it.

“Mama’s not a whore!” She protested, raising her voice so that the entire room could hear what she was saying.

“How’d she have you, then? You see a husband anywhere?” He shouted back, taking Ranee’s bait.

“How’d she have me? She was raped, or didn’t you hear about that? It’s not like it’s a secret!” Ranee was actually angry now. “You forget that, moron? You’re a forgetful moron, idiot, and your plan is terrible! It’s just gonna get us all killed!”

The door to the hallway flew open and Talia stepped into the room. All when silent.

“MAMA! He called you a whore and won’t admit that his plan is stupid!” Ranee said, almost complaining. “And he can’t even write!”

“Keep your voice down, Nee. Not everyone is as smart as you are.” Talia said calmly, approaching Atrin. “You will not shout at Nee again, or I will dispose of you. Understand?”

Atrin wrinkled his nose and sat down angrily. Talia gave him a look and left. Ranee smiled smugly.

One of the nails had grazed her side, but she didn’t think about it. She needed to get her mother. Someone was dead. She’d killed someone. No matter what he was going to do with her, she’d killed him. She didn’t even know how. The slamming of the door hitting the floor brought her back to reality and she pulled her shirt back on. Surely someone had heard it. She couldn’t be here. How had she gotten the nails out? The man was dead! Killed by a thirteen-year-old girl with a limp! And somehow she’d gotten nails out of a door without even doing anything! What was the thing she had felt? It was gone now.

She intended to work alone after that. She had never had to find a crew before, and she preferred to figure out her power where she couldn’t hurt anyone. She had no idea what it was that she was doing, until she finally found someone who could explain to her what she could do. That was a few months into her self-training. The man, who said his name was Hal, had snuck into her hideout, apparently unaware that it was inhabited. Ranee found him idly sitting on the floor and pulled her knife from under her bed. She caught it and glared. “What’re you doing here?”

The man, who looked quite young, widened his eyes and stood up quickly. “You live here? Really? I thought it was empty!” He looked both scared and amazed at the same time.

“Of course I live here. Where else would I live?” She wondered why he wasn’t scared from her magic. It was rather irritating.

“I don’t know, but last time I was here it was empty! I’m sorry! Don’t kill me or nothin’!” He put his hands up and Ranee narrowed her eyes. “I don’t wanna end up littered with holes from metal.”

“How d’you know that’s what’ll happen?”

“My dad’s one of you. He once killed a guy by pushing on his belt buckle so hard it passed right through his gut!” Hal was surprisingly excited about describing it. Ranee shook her head.

“I really don’t need the details. Just explain why you’re here so that I can throw you out.”

Hal shook his head. “Please don’t. I’m only seventeen and I don’t have nowhere else to go.” Ranee almost laughed.

“I think you mean that you don’t have anywhere else to go.” She considered and then put her knife in her belt. “Tell me what I am and you can stay. Even better if you can help me figure it out.”

Hal sat back down and after a minute Ranee joined him. “As my dad explained it, it’s called allomancy. He was what was called a coinshot, and could push on metal. From what I’ve seen, you’re a lurcher. You burn iron, right?”

Ranee nodded. “Mama gave me my first vial. She didn’t explain anything else.” Ranee was irritated that her mother had obviously known what she was and yet hadn’t bothered to explain.

“Yeah, so you burn the iron, and can then pull on metal. It looks like you’ve trained yourself, so you should’ve figured out the weight stuff by now.”

Ranee frowned and shook her head. “I’ve only ever tried to pull on small metal things. Nails and knives and stuff.”

“I wouldn’t try anything else. You’re pretty tiny. You have a name, by the way? I’m Hal.”

“Ranee, and I’m not tiny. I’m actually quite big. You just can’t tell because you’re stupid.” Ranee’s attitude didn’t seem to phase Hal at all.

“Alright, alright. You’re not tiny, just don’t call me stupid. I don’t like it.”

Ranee caught his eye and grinned for the first time in years. “If you help me learn how to use my allomancy thing, I’ll help you out.”

Hal, though he himself wasn’t an allomancer, agreed, in exchange for lodging and food. He also promised to help her steal. She was wary of men, so she made sure that Hal knew that she was not interested in anything apart from learning how to use her allomancy. He seemed to understand her, as he was respectful. She didn’t try to ask him where his parents were now, and he never asked her the samee. She was glad of it.

It didn’t take long for Hal to notice that something was up and Ranee didn’t hide it well when he asked about it. She blushed and shook her head. “Why do you care?”

“’Cause you don’t focus. You almost killed me there with that knife of yours. We’re practicing, remember?” Hal said, not unkindly, but more amused than anything else.

Ranee blushed and smiled a little bit. “I was thinking.”

Hal scooched closer and grinned. “What about? Can you tell me?”

Ranee blushed a deep, deep red and scooched away. Hal laughed out loud and then apologized when she glared.

“It’s not funny, Hal. I’m actually very scared about this.” Ranee said, knowing that not much explanation was needed now.

“Does this mean I can finally hold your hand?” Hal asked, scooting close again. Ranee shuddered and moved again.

“Stop doing that. I don’t like it when men touch me.” Her face obviously showed how little she wanted to talk about it, but Hal took her hand anyways. She tensed up and closed her eyes, expecting him to go farther. She really didn’t want to deal with this, despite how she felt.

After a minute, she heard him speak, his hand staying where it was. “I understand, Nee.”

Ranee opened her eyes quickly. “Why’d you call me that? Mama used to call me that.”

“It sounds good, and suits you. That’s why. It’s okay. I won’t kiss you.”

Ranee smiled slightly and relaxed. “I love you.” She said calmly, and softly. He grinned at her.

“It’s kinda obvious.” He said with a laugh. “I love you too.”

Ranee was surprised at how that made her feel, and how easy-going he was about everything. He didn’t talk about her insecurities and instead just talked about the plans he had for the next day’s work. She listened to him talk and nodded at his plans.

Hal seemed to understand that it was the kind of nothing you just didn’t ask about. He kissed her forehead and whispered something to her that she didn’t catch. She could guess it, though. That night she slept next to him, though they were both fully clothed. She still wasn’t fully comfortable with Hal touching her.

That was when Ras approached her in an attempt to recruit her to his crew. He first set a tail on her, which did not go over well. Ranee noticed the scout almost immediately and one night, while sneaking back from robbing some noble’s townhouse, confronted him. She slowed to a stop and turned. “Come out. I know you’re there.” She wasn’t wearing her metal knife. That was only for showy purposes. Instead she pulled out her glass dagger, which was really just a piece of glass with cloth for a handle. She burned iron and pulled on the closest metal. It was small. Just a nail, but she caught it and rolled her eyes. “Who sent you?”

The figure that she’d noticed following her didn’t move. She found the figure’s cloth coin purse and pulled on that, first gently, to pull the figure as well, and then she flared iron and pulled hard. The purse flew at her, and the figure lost its balance. She limped over and pulled him up, putting her glass shard at his throat. “Why are you following me?”

“I was just keeping an eye on you.” The scout protested, obviously scared and a little taken aback. “I was told to by my crew leader.”

“You’d betray his intentions just like that? I’ll make sure that he knows. What’s his name and why does he want me watched?” Ranee was scornful of anyone who would spill that quickly.

“I…Rasdon. But I’m not telling you why. I’m not that stupid.” Ranee rolled her eyes.

“Tell this Rasdon that I want to meet with him. This time tomorrow night he should come to my hideout. I trust you know where that is?”

The scout nodded and Ranee let go of him.

At first she was wary of Rasdon. Ranee didn’t necessarily like what she had, but she didn’t like anyone who would tail her. However, after speaking with him, she agreed. She kept her hideout usable, but moved to his crew’s hideout. It only took a few months for her to gain an even bigger reputation in his crew than she had ever had. She flaunted her allomancy, as she always had, and flew through the ranks.

At first there was some tension between her and the man appointed as her Sergeant. Hain obviously didn’t like being led by someone who was only nineteen(and-a-half). She knew that to him it looked like she would be inexperienced and unable to deal with the actual leadership duties in a crew. It took her a few weeks to convince him that she could lead, and required her to show that she knew exactly what she was doing. The opportunity came when a scam was almost botched up by someone who was quite new to all this. He had been too nervous and made the target suspicious.

“Hain, I’ve got a plan.” She said that night, sitting in a chair with her back to her desk. “How do you feel about letting me out there?”

“You? But--“

“It’s not that odd to have a limp, and I have a dress. If I went out tomorrow for the meeting, I can fix it.” Ranee crossed her arms and gave Hain a look that said that he had little choice.

Suffice it to say, her plan worked and Hain began to respect her opinion more after that. It was slow, but though they weren’t bosom friends, they had a mutual respect. It was a similar struggle with a lot of her subordinates, but none of them took as long as Hain.

She tried to find common ground with Kyne after she joined the Iron Platoon, and only succeeded in learning that a power that Ranee found amazing someone else could dislike. Ranee relied on her allomancy to reinforce her charisma and respect, and hadn’t realized that not everyone saw it that way. She had to apologize to Kyne and explain that if she didn’t want to use allomancy much, Ranee could be the primary lurcher of the platoon. She tried hard to be respectful of her subordinate’s wishes.

Currently she has a good standing with all her platoon, and hasn’t had to many opportunities to show off, which almost disappoints her. However, she knows that the more respect she has, the better, and so she tries not to complain. Ranee does, though, use allomancy to pull on unnecessary things, just because it’s easier.

Posted Image

PCs:

Katryn Domaille

WIPs:

Ranee, Delacey,

Theodoric Getrue, Kyl,

NPCs:

#13 MozytheHealer

Posse Member

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:33 AM

Not many changes. I just did a once over of some details, and added a small scene. This is the last draft, unless you guys give me a ton of feedback. :{D

Ranee
Skaa Misting

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

She’s quite moody, which is a result of the emotional trauma her mother went through during her pregnancy. Ranee is high-maintenance, though she’s learned how to control it as she got older. She takes a lot of critiques personally, even if they aren’t meant that way, and has a quick temper. She’s also slow to trust, though that is more because of her past and not because of her mother.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ranee was born to a crew leader, a woman named Talia who, at the time, was twenty-seven. She was, in fact, a child begotten from a rape. Talia had been mistaken for a prostitute and taken by a drunk nobleman. He kept her until he noticed that his skaa girl was pregnant. He beat Talia and cast her out, thinking her dead. Ranee was born six months later with a disfigured leg. She was born early, and was one of the moodiest babies ever. Talia only resented Ranee a little because of the rape, and was definitely hard on her daughter. From the moment Ranee was born she was told and shown and taught how to be the strongest woman that she could. She was well-parented, but had no excess of love from her mother.

Ranee’s earliest memories are of her mother sitting at a desk and talking to her about whatever scam or job they were currently doing. As soon as Ranee was able, Talia began to send her out as a pickpocket. Talia was always busy, and a little cold. She disliked Ranee’s limp, thinking that it would only be a bother. Ranee did all she could to show her mother that she was wrong. That was the beginning of her great ambition. Even at her young age, however, she was taught to be wary of men. They were not to be tolerated. Ever. Any time a man touched her, it was a bad sign. Talia tried to teach Ranee how to fight, but found that the disfiguring of her leg was to difficult to deal with. She then decided that instead of fighting, she’d teach Ranee how to read, which Ranee didn’t find interesting at all, and complained to her mother until she finally snapped.

“You know what, Nee, if you want to be smart and lead your own crew someday, you’ve gotta learn how to read.” She said angrily, rolling her eyes at her four-year-old daughter. Ranee pouted and looked away from the string of letters.

“Not at first it doesn’t, but if you practice reading, it’ll be easier.” Talia said, still irritated. Ranee felt annoyed. Her mama shouldn’t be so irritated when she’d given Ranee an impossible task. “Sit down and pay attention. Someday you’ll thank me.”

Ranee was thirteen when she snapped. Despite her small size and her bad leg, she was filling out into a pretty, if a little plain, young woman. One of the newer crew members had noticed her talking to Talia and when Ranee left the room to go to her mother’s office and get something, he followed her. He thought that she looked weak, what with her limp and her feminine, noble features. He approached her in the hallway and she, knowing from her mother that this was a bad sign, backed up into a door. She could run away if she had to. She could scream as well. She also fingered the little knife that Talia had given her when she had turned five. The man noticed, of course, and pinned the hand with the knife to the door. His other hand went to her mouth and she closed her eyes. He was making a mistake. She knew it. As soon as her mother noticed that she’d been gone for too long, she’d come looking. Her mother would come. She would.

That didn’t stop her from struggling, though, and she used her free hand to open the door and bolt through. There was another door that led to the outside and she prayed it wasn’t locked. The man overcame her pushed her against the wall. They were alone in a locked room. He had shut the door. Even after she had dropped the knife and the man hand taken his hand away from her arm to get her shirt off, she knew that he wouldn’t be able to do anything. No matter how incredibly terrified she was, her mother would come looking. Wouldn’t she? And then he kissed her roughly and suddenly there was something inside of her mind. A small cache of something. She didn’t have to think about it much to use it. All she knew was her rage and terror and then the man was dead. His back was littered with holes from the entry wounds of the nails in the door behind him.

One of the nails had grazed her side, but she didn’t think about it. She needed to get her mother. Someone was dead. She’d killed someone. No matter what he was going to do with her, she’d killed him. She didn’t even know how. The slamming of the door hitting the floor brought her back to reality and she pulled her shirt back on. Surely someone had heard it. She couldn’t be here. How had she gotten the nails out? The man was dead! Killed by a thirteen-year-old girl with a limp! And somehow she’d gotten nails out of a door without even doing anything! What was the thing she had felt? It was gone now.

Ranee nodded and hugged her mother before saying goodbye and gathering the few personal possessions she had. It was not easy for her, but she trusted her mother. She always had.

She intended to work alone after that. She had never had to find a crew before, and she preferred to figure out her power where she couldn’t hurt anyone. She had no idea what it was that she was doing, until she finally found someone who could explain to her what she could do. That was a few months into her self-training. The man, who said his name was Hal, had snuck into her hideout, apparently unaware that it was inhabited. Ranee found him idly sitting on the floor and pulled her knife from under her bed. She caught it and glared. “What’re you doing here?”

The man, who looked quite young, widened his eyes and stood up quickly. “You live here? Really? I thought it was empty!” He looked both scared and amazed at the same time.

“Of course I live here. Where else would I live?” She wondered why he wasn’t scared from her magic. It was rather irritating.

“I don’t know, but last time I was here it was empty! I’m sorry! Don’t kill me or nothin’!” He put his hands up and Ranee narrowed her eyes. “I don’t wanna end up littered with holes from metal.”

“My dad’s one of you. He once killed a guy by pushing on his belt buckle so hard it passed right through his gut!” Hal was surprisingly excited about describing it. Ranee shook her head.

“I really don’t need the details. Just explain why you’re here so that I can throw you out.”

Hal shook his head. “Please don’t. I’m only seventeen and I don’t have nowhere else to go.” Ranee almost laughed.

“I think you mean that you don’t have anywhere else to go.” She considered and then put her knife in her belt. “Tell me what I am and you can stay. Even better if you can help me figure it out.”

Hal sat back down and after a minute Ranee joined him. “As my dad explained it, it’s called allomancy. He was what was called a coinshot, and could push on metal. From what I’ve seen, you’re a lurcher. You burn iron, right?”

Ranee nodded. “Mama gave me my first vial. She didn’t explain anything else.” Ranee was irritated that her mother had obviously known what she was and yet hadn’t bothered to explain.

“Yeah, so you burn the iron, and can then pull on metal. It looks like you’ve trained yourself, so you should’ve figured out the weight stuff by now.”

Ranee frowned and shook her head. “I’ve only ever tried to pull on small metal things. Nails and knives and stuff.”

“I wouldn’t try anything else. You’re pretty tiny. You have a name, by the way? I’m Hal.”

“Ranee, and I’m not tiny. I’m actually quite big. You just can’t tell because you’re stupid.” Ranee’s attitude didn’t seem to phase Hal at all.

“Alright, alright. You’re not tiny, just don’t call me stupid. I don’t like it.”

Ranee caught his eye and grinned for the first time in years. “If you help me learn how to use my allomancy thing, I’ll help you out.”

Hal, though he himself wasn’t an allomancer, agreed, in exchange for lodging and food. He also promised to help her steal. She was wary of men, so she made sure that Hal knew that she was not interested in anything apart from learning how to use her allomancy. He seemed to understand her, as he was respectful. She didn’t try to ask him where his parents were now, and he never asked her the samee. She was glad of it.

It didn’t take long for Hal to notice that something was up and Ranee didn’t hide it well when he asked about it. She blushed and shook her head. “Why do you care?”

“’Cause you don’t focus. You almost killed me there with that knife of yours. We’re practicing, remember?” Hal said, not unkindly, but more amused than anything else.

Ranee blushed a deep, deep red and scooched away. Hal laughed out loud and then apologized when she glared.

“It’s not funny, Hal. I’m actually very scared about this.” Ranee said, knowing that not much explanation was needed now.

“Does this mean I can finally hold your hand?” Hal asked, scooting close again. Ranee shuddered and moved again.

“Stop doing that. I don’t like it when men touch me.” Her face obviously showed how little she wanted to talk about it, but Hal took her hand anyways. She tensed up and closed her eyes, expecting him to go farther. She really didn’t want to deal with this, despite how she felt.

After a minute, she heard him speak, his hand staying where it was. “I understand, Nee.”

Ranee opened her eyes quickly. “Why’d you call me that? Mama used to call me that.”

Ranee smiled slightly and relaxed. “I love you.” She said calmly, and softly. He grinned at her.

Ranee was surprised at how that made her feel, and how easy-going he was about everything. He didn’t talk about her insecurities and instead just talked about the plans he had for the next day’s work. She listened to him talk and nodded at his plans.

Hal became the first man to touch her intimately since she was almost raped. They’d known each other for eight months when he kissed her. It was after a particularly good day of thieving and they were celebrating at her hideout, and somehow they had gotten on the topic of her past. She had explained as best as she could, leaving out how she had snapped. That wasn’t something she really wanted to talk about. She didn’t even notice that he had taken her hand until she was done talking.

“Why did you do that?” She asked, blushing slightly, even though she didn’t pull her hand away.

“’Cause it felt like the right thing to do. You looked so pretty, sitting there and talking about your mother.” Hal grinned, “You left out how you snapped, though.”

Ranee shook her head. “I don’t want to talk about it.”

Hal looked curious and she met his eyes, looking at him blandly. “Alright, alright. Fine. You don’t have to tell me.”

Ranee smiled and he grinned again. “What’s so funny?”

Hal scooched closer and put a hand to her cheek. She flinched a little, but stopped him from pulling his hand away. “I just like your smile is all.”

“Do you think you’re going to get me to do something by telling me that?” Ranee was confused. It seemed like such a trivial thing.

They were now extremely close. “Perhaps.” Hal laughed and pulled her into a kiss. Ranee pulled away from him, startled and scared.

“It’s nothing.” She murmured, looking back at him. She didn’t kiss him, but she did let him pull her close. She had never felt this way before. She felt safe. “You just startled me.”

Hal seemed to understand that it was the kind of nothing you just didn’t ask about. He kissed her forehead and whispered something to her that she didn’t catch. She could guess it, though. That night she slept next to him, though they were both fully clothed. She still wasn’t fully comfortable with Hal touching her.

That was when Ras approached her in an attempt to recruit her to his crew. He first set a tail on her, which did not go over well. Ranee noticed the scout almost immediately and one night, while sneaking back from robbing some noble’s townhouse, confronted him. She slowed to a stop and turned. “Come out. I know you’re there.” She wasn’t wearing her metal knife. That was only for showy purposes. Instead she pulled out her glass dagger, which was really just a piece of glass with cloth for a handle. She burned iron and pulled on the closest metal. It was small. Just a nail, but she caught it and rolled her eyes. “Who sent you?”

The figure that she’d noticed following her didn’t move. She found the figure’s cloth coin purse and pulled on that, first gently, to pull the figure as well, and then she flared iron and pulled hard. The purse flew at her, and the figure lost its balance. She limped over and pulled him up, putting her glass shard at his throat. “Why are you following me?”

“I was just keeping an eye on you.” The scout protested, obviously scared and a little taken aback. “I was told to by my crew leader.”

“You’d betray his intentions just like that? I’ll make sure that he knows. What’s his name and why does he want me watched?” Ranee was scornful of anyone who would spill that quickly.

“I…Rasdon. But I’m not telling you why. I’m not that stupid.” Ranee rolled her eyes.

“Tell this Rasdon that I want to meet with him. This time tomorrow night he should come to my hideout. I trust you know where that is?”

At first she was wary of Rasdon. Ranee didn’t necessarily like what she had, but she didn’t like anyone who would tail her. However, after speaking with him, she agreed. She kept her hideout usable, but moved to his crew’s hideout. It only took a few months for her to gain an even bigger reputation in his crew than she had ever had. She flaunted her allomancy, as she always had, and flew through the ranks.

“You? But--“

Posted Image

PCs:

Katryn Domaille

WIPs:

Ranee, Delacey,

Theodoric Getrue, Kyl,

NPCs:

#14 Noelle

Prelan

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:40 PM

Alright, I was waiting for you to finish with your revisions before giving feedback, since I didn't want to ask you to change something you were already planning to change so let the nit picking begin!
(forgive me for not quoting I spent like 30 mins trying to get the quotes to work and they just wouldn't so I gave up)

Ranee holds herself with confidence and she doesn’t hide her femininity. Instead she wears blouses cut for women and pants that accented her hips.
I think you mean accentuate, not accented, accented is something jewelry or trim does for clothes, but pants that draw attention to her hips are accentuating them =)

Despite her rather plain, noble face,
Noble features are usually seen as not plain, they're attractive and comely, so perhaps use a different word?

When that doesn’t work she then pulls on the knife that usually sits next to her on the table, which scares anyone who is being disrespectful and that’s how she’s been able to command the respect she has.
This does not seem like the practice of a good leader, since ruling through fear (not respect, this is fear we're talking about) is a tricky and easily messed up way of leading.

You say:
Ranee is a hard, cold young woman.
but also say
She is a kind-hearted woman, though, and fiercely protective of those she leads and cares about.
These two aspects of her can't really coexist unless one or the other is faked, or if the cold, hard part of her personality is just let us say, the shell that leads to the gooey center of her kind heartedness. So perhaps specify that. Say something along the lines of "but deep down she is a kind hearted woman." or something similar.

She is quite the allomancer, having only been trained by herself and Hal, neither of whom had any personal experience with alomancy except for Ranee’s experiments.
It should be Allomancer and Allomancy, make sure you always capitalize those words.

It will more often than not get you littered with metal.
I wouldn't use littered here, perhaps peppered or shot full of?

Ranee was born to a crew leader, a woman named Talia who, at the time, was twenty-seven. She was, in fact, a child begotten from a rape.
If you read these two sentences out loud you'll realize they're full of A LOT of pauses, I would suggest cutting a few commas or rewording them, especially since both sentences are structured the same and come one after another, making reading them both choppy and a little monotonous.

Talia had been mistaken for a prostitute and taken by a drunk nobleman.
Unless this was like, a plan of some sort to get close to the nobleman, why didn't Talia just... escape him? She's a crewleader I would think she's capable of it, even if it was just slitting his throat while he was drunk and slipping out the window.

Ranee was born six months later with a disfigured leg.
If Ranee was born this early she'd be dead. Ventilators don't exist in the FE and she'd need to be put on one if she wanted even a chance of survival, so perhaps have her born 8 months? a month early is still VERY early.

but found that the disfiguring of her leg was to difficult to deal with.
too*

Ranee was thirteen when she snapped.
It should be Snapped.

Eventually, when Ranee was fifteen, Talia explained why she had been so distant.
Why didn't Talia act earlier? She left Ranee alone for two years without a Smoker, possibly revealing herself every time she practiced with the power her mother wouldn't explain. Even if you say she did it out of not wanting to kick her daughter out so young, she still should have said something along the lines of "don't use that power willy nilly you'll get discovered and die".

As my dad explained it, it’s called allomancy. He was what was called a coinshot, and could push on metal. From what I’ve seen, you’re a lurcher.
It should be Allomancy, Coinshot, Push, and Lurcher.

I'd really like to know what her plan was and how she executed it.

And that's all the nitpicking I have in me! I love Ranee! 8D

Posted Image

Posted Image

#15 MozytheHealer

Posse Member

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:56 PM

Awesome. Most of my answers don't fit in the app, so if you have ideas on where to out them, awesome.

She is cold, in that she doesn't have personal relationships with people. She is not mean, which is why she's kind-hearted. She's protective of the people around her.

I guess I didn't make it clear enough, but since these last edits I've been figuring things out more about Talia. She was taken by the nobleman because she was dressed as a prostitute for a job. He kept her for a while until he tried to kill her. About three months, actually. He tried to kill her when she was almost two-and-a-half months pregnant and was beginning to show. Ranee doesn't know any of this, which is why I didn't include it. I like your idea, though. I may change it.

I have no idea what the job, or the idea was. Will, do you have any ideas?

Agh capitalization.

Talia didn't know how dangerous it was. She just wanted to get Ranee out of there because the crew was starting to get angry.

The knife isn't so that she can rule with fear but more a sign of confidence and transparency. Does that make sense?

Edited by MozytheHealer, 10 March 2014 - 11:57 PM.

PCs:

Katryn Domaille

WIPs:

Ranee, Delacey,

Theodoric Getrue, Kyl,

NPCs:

#16 MozytheHealer

Posse Member

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:09 AM

So I made some changes, including taking the scene out at the very end of her history. I just...didn't like it, and had just put it in there because. There was no real reason, and I realize that she could've just shown Hain that she knew what to do by being smart and not being terrible. If you have another idea, I'd love to hear it. :{D

Ranee
Skaa Misting

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ranee holds herself with confidence and she doesn’t hide her femininity. Instead she wears blouses cut for women and pants that accentuate her hips. Despite her rather pretty, noble face, she has a look that she gives people that says that she’s not to be trifled with. When that doesn’t work she then pulls on the knife that usually sits next to her on the table, which scares anyone who is being disrespectful. It also conveys the message that if she kills you, it will not be a simple stab in the back. You will be facing her, and it will not just be for insubordination or theft.

Posted Image

Ranee is a hard, cold young woman. She rarely smiles, though she does feel emotion, and her face is hard. She is primarily a leader, which she is good at. She is afraid to let people in too far, which results in a lack of personal relationships with most people. She is willing to fight the terrible conditions she was born into in her own small way, though she would never join the rebellion. That would be much too risky. She is charismatic, smart, and occasionally rather harsh. She does listen to those who work under her, but will not respect an opinion that can’t be backed up with good logic and sense.

Despite her coldness, she does care, and is fiercely protective of those she leads and cares about. She doesn’t want to loose anyone else. What she lacks physically she makes up for in attitude. She has a subtle sense of humour, which is contrary to her lack of smiles, but she sometimes amuses herself with it. She insists on knowing all those she works with personally, even if that just means that she knows their name and age. She does understand that sometimes people don’t want to give a stranger their life story, but her goal with all her subordinates is to not be a stranger.

Posted Image

Strengths: Ranee is an amazing leader, and can act like nobody’s business. She is quite the Allomancy, having only been trained by herself and Hal, neither of whom had any personal experience with alomancy except for Ranee’s experiments. She is a quick-thinker, and knows exactly how to show her platoon that she does feel, and is good at rewarding them when they do well. Conversely, she is not afraid of punishing anyone who crosses lines, or talks to much.

Weaknesses: Ranee is wary of any relationship that goes past a normal friendship, and even then she is uncomfortable. Any touch is startling and bad to her. It will more often than not get you shot full of metal. She is a weak fighter because of her limp, and can be unsettlingly cold sometimes.

Posted Image

Ranee was born to a crew leader named Talia who, at the time, was twenty-seven. Ranee was a child begotten from a rape. Talia had been working a job, which was really very simple. Seduce the nobleman, get into his manor, and leave a door open. She was promised a signal when the crew was done stealing everything, and that never came. The crew had abandoned her.

She got away, but almost three months later the nobleman tracked her down and beat her senseless. He thought it would kill her.

Ranee was born six months later with a disfigured leg. She was born early, and was one of the moodiest babies ever. Talia only resented Ranee a little because of the rape, and was definitely hard on her daughter. From the moment Ranee was born she was told and shown and taught how to be the strongest woman that she could. She was well-parented, but had no excess of love from her mother.

Ranee’s earliest memories are of her mother sitting at a desk and talking to her about whatever scam or job they were currently doing. As soon as Ranee was able, Talia began to send her out as a pickpocket. Talia was always busy, and a little cold. She disliked Ranee’s limp, thinking that it would only be a bother. Ranee did all she could to show her mother that she was wrong. That was the beginning of her great ambition. Even at her young age, however, she was taught to be wary of men. They were not to be tolerated. Ever. Any time a man touched her, it was a bad sign. Talia tried to teach Ranee how to fight, but found that the disfiguring of her leg was too difficult to deal with. She then decided that instead of fighting, she’d teach Ranee how to read, which Ranee didn’t find interesting at all, and complained to her mother until she finally snapped.

The man looked stunned for a minute and then Snapped at her. “How d’you know my plan, then?”

The door to the hallway flew open and Talia stepped into the room. All went silent.

Ranee was thirteen when she Snapped. Despite her small size and her bad leg, she was filling out into a pretty young woman. One of the newer crew members had noticed her talking to Talia and when Ranee left the room to go to her mother’s office and get something, he followed her. He thought that she looked weak, what with her limp and her feminine, noble features. He approached her in the hallway and she, knowing from her mother that this was a bad sign, backed up into a door. She could run away if she had to. She could scream as well. She also fingered the little knife that Talia had given her when she had turned five. The man noticed, of course, and pinned the hand with the knife to the door. His other hand went to her mouth and she closed her eyes. He was making a mistake. She knew it. As soon as her mother noticed that she’d been gone for too long, she’d come looking. Her mother would come. She would.

That didn’t stop her from struggling, though, and she used her free hand to open the door and bolt through. There was another door that led to the outside and she prayed it wasn’t locked. The man overcame her pushed her against the wall. They were alone in a locked room. He had shut the door. Even after she had dropped the knife and the man hand taken his hand away from her arm to get her shirt off, she knew that he wouldn’t be able to do anything. No matter how incredibly terrified she was, her mother would come looking. Wouldn’t she? And then he kissed her roughly and suddenly there was something inside of her mind. A small cache of something. She didn’t have to think about it much to use it. All she knew was her rage and terror and then the man was dead. His back was littered with holes from the entry wounds of the nails in the door behind him.

Eventually, when Ranee was fifteen, Talia explained why she had been so distant. “Nee, you can’t stay here. Take this vial, and go. You’re too dangerous now, and the crew is beginning to talk. I didn’t think that this would happen, or I’d’ve stopped you. I’m sorry.”

Talia nodded. “He gave you something else. A terrible power that you must learn how to use. It will help you, but you can’t stay here. In the vial is iron. Take it and learn. I know that you’ve been experimenting lately.”

Ranee nodded and hugged her mother before saying goodbye and gathering the few personal possessions she had. It was not easy for her, but she trusted her mother. She always had.

Only a week later was the attack. Everyone was dead. Ranee only heard about it afterwards, through the underground, and then she felt something new. Sadness. It wasn’t shock, terror, or rage. It was sadness. She resolved to be better. She didn’t know that it was her Allomancy that had been the cause of the attack.

Hal sat back down and after a minute Ranee joined him. “As my dad explained it, it’s called Allomancy. He was what was called a Coinshot, and could Push on metal. From what I’ve seen, you’re a Lurcher. You burn iron, right?”

“Ranee, and I’m not tiny. I’m actually quite big. You just can’t tell because you’re stupid.” Ranee’s attitude didn’t seem to faze Hal at all.

Ranee caught his eye and grinned for the first time in years. “If you help me learn how to use my Allomancy thing, I’ll help you out.”

Hal, though he himself wasn’t an Allomancy, agreed, in exchange for lodging and food. He also promised to help her steal. She was wary of men, so she made sure that Hal knew that she was not interested in anything apart from learning how to use her Allomancy. He seemed to understand her, as he was respectful. She didn’t try to ask him where his parents were now, and he never asked her the samee. She was glad of it.

Hal became the first man to touch her intimately since she was almost raped. They’d known each other for eight months when he kissed her. It was after a particularly good day of thieving and they were celebrating at her hideout, and somehow they had gotten on the topic of her past. She had explained as best as she could, leaving out how she had Snapped. That wasn’t something she really wanted to talk about. She didn’t even notice that he had taken her hand until she was done talking.

“Why did you do that?” She asked, blushing slightly, even though she didn’t pull her hand away.

“’Cause it felt like the right thing to do. You looked so pretty, sitting there and talking about your mother.” Hal grinned, “You left out how you Snapped, though.”

Ranee shook her head. “I don’t want to talk about it.”

Hal looked curious and she met his eyes, looking at him blandly. “Alright, alright. Fine. You don’t have to tell me.”

Ranee smiled and he grinned again. “What’s so funny?”

Hal scooched closer and put a hand to her cheek. She flinched a little, but stopped him from pulling his hand away. “I just like your smile is all.”

“Do you think you’re going to get me to do something by telling me that?” Ranee was confused. It seemed like such a trivial thing.

They were now extremely close. “Perhaps.” Hal laughed and pulled her into a kiss. Ranee pulled away from him, startled and scared.

“It’s nothing.” She murmured, looking back at him. She didn’t kiss him, but she did let him pull her close. She had never felt this way before. She felt safe. “You just startled me.”

At first she was wary of Rasdon. Ranee didn’t necessarily like what she had, but she didn’t like anyone who would tail her. However, after speaking with him, she agreed. She kept her hideout usable, but moved to his crew’s hideout. It only took a few months for her to gain an even bigger reputation in his crew than she had ever had. She flaunted her Allomancy, as she always had, and flew through the ranks.

At first there was some tension between her and the man appointed as her Sergeant. Hain obviously didn’t like being led by someone who was only nineteen(and-a-half). She knew that to him it looked like she would be inexperienced and unable to deal with the actual leadership duties in a crew. It took her a few weeks to convince him that she could lead, and required her to show that she knew exactly what she was doing. She lead her first job successfully, without any problems. It was not an easy job, and Hain began to respect her opinion more after that. It was slow, but though they weren’t bosom friends, they had a mutual respect. It was a similar struggle with a lot of her subordinates, but none of them took as long as Hain.

She tried to find common ground with Kyne after she joined the Iron Platoon, and only succeeded in learning that a power that Ranee found amazing someone else could dislike. Ranee relied on her Allomancy to reinforce her charisma and respect, and hadn’t realized that not everyone saw it that way. She had to apologize to Kyne and explain that if she didn’t want to use Allomancy much, Ranee could be the primary lurcher of the platoon. She tried hard to be respectful of her subordinate’s wishes.

Currently she has a good standing with all her platoon, and hasn’t had to many opportunities to show off, which almost disappoints her. However, she knows that the more respect she has, the better, and so she tries not to complain. Ranee does, though, use Allomancy to pull on unnecessary things, just because it’s easier.

Posted Image

Edited by MozytheHealer, 11 March 2014 - 03:22 AM.

PCs:

Katryn Domaille

WIPs:

Ranee, Delacey,

Theodoric Getrue, Kyl,