The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Make Me a Character! KChan's Character Creation Challenge Master Thread

CCC

28 replies to this topic

#1 KChan

Atium Chandelier

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:19 PM

(The CCC, by the way, stands for "Character Creation Challenge." Makes tagging these topics a little less cumbersome.)

So, you guys by now are all familiar with my character creation challenge - a lot of you have even used it yourselves. It makes me want to get in on the fun, except, of course, since I run the thing myself, it's not quite the same just rolling for myself. So I thought I'd come up with a new game: one in which you, the players, write a character for me! The idea is to take this lovely lady right here:

Posted Image

And, via a series of discussions, suggestions, prompts, and polls, work together to form a complete, functioning character. Here's how it will work:
  • I will start discussions on a segment of the character: house, powers, personality traits, history, etc.
  • After enough ideas and suggestions have been generated, I'll pick my favorites and make a poll.
  • You guys all cast your votes, and the winning choice makes it into the app.
  • I will post a link to a google doc where you can comment on the character's progress.
  • When the character is finished, I'll RP her with my others!

And that's how it'll go. And now for the polls and discussions!

Polls

Current Discussions

• If he agrees to it, should she be included in Coma's challenge?
  • Are there any major life events that should be included in her history?
  • How does her family feel about her lack of Allomancy?
  • How does she feel about her lack of Allomancy?
  • What are her goals and aspirations?

Google Doc

Watch me write! Leave comments if you want! Make sure you tag your comments with your MBI handle so I know who you are. The doc can be found here.

Misc

Just for funsies and reference, have a few more screencaps I grabbed. Ignore the green plants and blue skies for now; I really didn't feel it was worth the effort of photoshopping all of that until I'm ready to make her graphics.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Let the challenge begin!

Edited by KChan, 05 May 2014 - 05:35 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Tal Spektor

Skaa

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:16 PM

House - I am making a few Ewings at the moment and want to write a fully functioning dead house, so I immediately thought she might be one, but no, this seems wrong. Then Deveaux popped into my mind, and that seems totally right.

Of course, Cobalt is always open to new blood, but I have a hunch that this might not work, as I cannot even write the house app properly.

As for powers, I think brass will be a poor fit. Maybe pewter is wrong, too. But other than that, I don't see much.
Is an insane A.I.

#3 Haelbarde

Acolyte

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:02 PM

Looks like a Vaudin to me, though one who perhaps breaks the mould of Vaudin reserved and cold norm. She looks smart, with no need for powers. But if I can find my d8/12 (one of the two, can't remember what, or where it is), maybe I'll roll for powers.

Edited by Haelbarde, 24 March 2014 - 10:12 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

#4 Noelle

Prelan

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:38 PM

Venture! Or Deveaux.

Also she looks like she's studying something, so perhaps a tineye?

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 MozytheHealer

Posse Member

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:01 PM

She does look like a Deveaux, and her expression is rather disdainful, and fitting of a Great House.

I could also see her as a Seeker....

PCs:

Delve, Silvan Calomine, Zella Calomine, Liss

Renette Deveaux, Marceline Dumont

Isabelle Sureau, Gisela Sureau,

Adalaide Getrue, Oliver Martel,

Grandell Tekiel, Yvette Valcier,

Katryn Domaille

WIPs:

Ranee, Delacey,

Theodoric Getrue, Kyl,

Vanessa Venture, Cedric Hallieau

Cordelia Morel, Kennith Fathvell

NPCs:

Issa Calomine, Randall Scanlan

#6 Lanscaper

Steward in Training

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:06 PM

Looking at the dress there seems to be some level of ornate flourishes between the pattern and the material from what I can see. I would guess at least Socio-Economic Rating of 5+.

Expression and posture demonstrate that there is likely some level of training in etiquette also reinforcing that the House would need to be well off, and likely involved in the ever-changing diplomacy that is part of Luthadel. Possibly a socialite. Slight frown indicates that she may be used to looking down on people. Alternatively she could be discomforted or disturbed by something, but training mitigates the range of expression.

Slender build and dark eyes as well. Pale skin and slender fingers with no signs of calluses show that she likely does not have a craft again re-inforcing that Socio-Economic status is higher up. Center of balance is not clear due to petticoats. Illusion may be that she is leaning back slightly which would imply good sense of balance so possibly Pewterarm, no visible muscle tone so would be reliant on using Pewter for strength.

Alternatively the slight frown could be an attempt to distinguish something which would lead to Steel, Iron, Tin, or Bronze for powers which deal with sight as part of the powers manifestation. Given possible diplomatic/socialite involvement Tin or Bronze would be helpful, although Steel or Iron would be and interesting change/combo.

Player Characters:

Noblemen: Winston Elariel

Skaa: Jonesi | Pipes

Work in Progress: Martin Meson - De Facto House Lord, Marcus Meson - House Heir, Jimmi - Foreman in Training, NeeSun - Kandra of a Thousand Minds, Zulo - Keeper of Forgotten Foods

#7 Tal Spektor

Skaa

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:03 AM

Remind me, how is bronze sight-based?
Is an insane A.I.

#8 Comatose

• Shard of Brain Inactivity

House Raisaal

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:38 AM

Lekal ;)

Posted Image

#9 Lanscaper

Steward in Training

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:51 AM

View PostTal Spektor, on 25 March 2014 - 01:03 AM, said:

Remind me, how is bronze sight-based?

Right...I'm an idiot in that it's based off of pulses and you get direction from that. From there you would need to discern who the actual person is that is emanating the pulses where the vision comes into play.

Player Characters:

Work in Progress: Martin Meson - De Facto House Lord, Marcus Meson - House Heir, Jimmi - Foreman in Training, NeeSun - Kandra of a Thousand Minds, Zulo - Keeper of Forgotten Foods

#10 Haelbarde

Acolyte

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:31 AM

I did a dice roll (d12 it turned out) - it turned up Copper

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

#11 KChan

Atium Chandelier

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:48 PM

The first poll, Powers, is up!

EDIT: I'm leaving the house discussion up for now, because I wanted to open up the idea of starting a new house for her as well. Everyone seems to agree that she's higher up on the scale, so the new discussion question is this:

If she is from a new house entirely, rated 6.X, what should their financial avenue(s) be?

Edited by KChan, 25 March 2014 - 06:52 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#12 Comatose

House Raisaal

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:47 PM

I'm thinking some sort of commodity, which could be different depending on what dominance she is from. Maybe refined foodstuffs? They could be like a mill family, who buys grain and other primary foodstuffs from plantations and produces things like flour, sugar, chocolate, coffee, tea, that sort of thing? This financial avenue could of course also be one of two, if it is not enough to sustain a house that powerful on its own.

Posted Image

#13 Tal Spektor

Skaa

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:54 PM

Actually, now that I think of it, she can be a 3.X girl... But I have no idea what she would do...

You might also want to get rid of the greenery.

Edited by Tal Spektor, 25 March 2014 - 09:00 PM.

Is an insane A.I.

#14 MozytheHealer

Posse Member

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:55 PM

She's pale, so I doubt that she's from the southern dominance. Also(just bringing in some more from that picture), there are dead leaves on the ground. Maybe not super northern, but definitely somewhere that sees winter. I hope that helps. I'm bad at figuring out the financial avenue of houses.

PCs:

Katryn Domaille

WIPs:

Ranee, Delacey,

Theodoric Getrue, Kyl,

NPCs:

#15 Lanscaper

Steward in Training

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:19 AM

So then for financial avenues there are a couple different ideas that I've been stewing on for a while. Some of unfortunately niche houses which are highly unlikely to be able to ascend to a 6.X socioeconomic rating.

Here are my basic thoughts on this subject just to get the information out there in case anyone else gets a brilliant idea from this.

To me there are a couple different types of financial avenues that houses might occupy

- Raw good production (ores, lumber, grain). Would need to be on good terms with the Canon of Resource
- Manufactured good production
- Supply Chain/Distribution - Barges and horses.
- Investment - like House Venture and Elariel.
- Niche services - fun things like judges, tutors/scholars outside the Steel Ministry, ice, clockmaker.

The things that I can think of that have good financial avenues that I'm not in the process of using are services that the Steel Ministry will need to see used often, or the nobility will need to use. Current niches that are not that well filled are some of the artisan crafts and the specialty goods.

My theoretical House Frost owns expansive tracts of land by Lake Luthadel. They sell ice throughout the year and have a large underground storage facility. Their harvesting and busy season for ice is during the short winters that Luthadel experiences forcing their skaa to work through the night constantly moving more and more ice into their facilities. Their prices get more and more expensive as time progresses into summer. (anyone is free to take this one)

Another theoretical house that I had was a skaa tenement management house. They have a contract with the Canton of Resource to maintain tenements and rebuild them when they collapse or are burned down or whatever else might happen. This would be a construction house and would be in competition with my House Meson and competing with House Sureau. (again this house idea is up for adoption)

Not sure about this one looking at the Final Empire House Index it looks like we don't have any Smithing Houses that specializes in tool making. Like saws, fine chisels, and other specialize cutting instruments.

We could also use Mraziel or a competitor house to Mraziel for medicines/plants. They would probably have greenhouses. It could simply be a side venture/financial avenue.

So in summation here are some resources that I do not see developed, or services that I don't see explored too much so far:
- Ice
- Culinary Arts/Baking - Mass production for skaa soup kitchens
- Medicine - Currently only House Mraziel (inactive) on the sheet
- Architecture/Engineering - Construction houses may be able to do this, but perhaps this house would also bridge the gap between the problem solving/function and the aesthetics.
- Jewelry - Vautier is mentioned in the doc, but not much else than that.
- Specialized tools - Carpentry, Masonry, Spectacles/Lenses (ground glass - special artisans), Watches.
- Skaa Management - Outside of the Ministry.

Some of the niche houses may be able to get up to SE ranking of 6, especially if they have a monopoly on the trade like House Frost (hypothetically) does. But unless that house branches out to other financial avenues they are unlikely to rise in the rankings further.

Player Characters:

#16 Comatose

House Raisaal

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:43 AM

Brehaut also manufacturers medicines and medical supplies (bandages, surgical tools, etc), though I don't have the app up yet, haha. They do more mass production stuff, rather than the mix-by-mix remedies Mrazriel seems to do) but that doesn't mean mystery girls' house could not either.

I like a lot of the other suggestions too!

Posted Image

#17 Noelle

Prelan

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:13 PM

If she absolutely cannot be a Venture Tineye (which is not looking likely now grrr) I say put her in Perrault! Seb could have a sister or cousin or something.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#18 KChan

Atium Chandelier

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:51 PM

The results from Poll #1 are in! This character has no powers. I've also posted the next poll, regarding her house, which you can find in the plotting forum or scroll up to the masterpost for a link. This also means it's time to kick off the next discussions! It's a twofer this time:
  • What is her personality like? I'm not looking for an extensive writeup for now. Focus more on listing individual traits which can easily be listed in a poll. Bonus points if you can throw in why you came to the conclusions you did, or tie in plotting ideas!
  • What sort of immediate family does she have? Does she have brothers or sisters? Are her parents alive? (NOTE: Any suggestions that her mother died in childbirth will be ignored.) If she's from an original house, is her father the Lord of said house?

Let the discussions begin! :D

Posted Image
Posted Image

#19 MozytheHealer

Posse Member

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:04 PM

Her mother should've died in childbirth.

*rocks fall, Mozy dies*

I couldn't help it >:{D

Anywho, a lot of my ideas will become clearer once she's got a house, but right now I think there's a lot of people from the main line of their house, and it would be cool if she was a cousin of the main line instead, if this does end up being an original house.

As for personality, the girl in the photo looks disdainful, and disapproving. She also seems to pay a lot of attention to her appearance(if you look at her perfectly curled and arranged hair), with a fondness for layered skirts and frills. Is that helpful?

PCs:

Katryn Domaille

WIPs:

Ranee, Delacey,

Theodoric Getrue, Kyl,

NPCs:

#20 KChan

Atium Chandelier

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:17 PM

That is quite helpful! These are the kinds of suggestions I need to make a poll, though I guess if everyone is unanimous in their suggestions there's no point in making one. XD So toss your ideas onto the table, guys! I want to know what you think!

I'm going to go ahead and add another discussion question, though this is of course dependent on Coma's consent. After doing some searching for images of this girl, I found some interesting pictures that seem to depict a love triangle with my unnamed lady in the middle. You can check out my idea and the pictures here, in Coma's CCC thread.

Also, even though I bring up certain discussion questions at a time, if you get any other plotting ideas, feel free to mention them. It'll make coming up with future questions and polls easier for me, and might help your fellow players brainstorm. :D

Posted Image
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users