The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Make Me a Character! KChan's Character Creation Challenge Master Thread

CCC

28 replies to this topic

#21 Lanscaper

Steward in Training

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:55 PM

I agree with Mozy that there is definitely an element of disdain for something. What that something might be will depend on her house.

Looking at the poll as it is now it looks likely that she'll be part of a milling house.

Scenario #1 - (Traits: disdain, composure, poise, haughty) playing with her disdainful expression and the standing of a 6.X SE rating. She's just high enough in society that she can 'get away' with showing muted disdain toward certain types of people (skaa or lesser nobles), but at 6.X she's not high enough that she can blow them off altogether as her family probably still needs their assistance.

Also going off of my comment on posture earlier, she's probably had some sort of etiquette training. That training, and perhaps her aptitude towards presenting a proper social front inflated her opinion of herself, which might add haughty to the list of attributes.

Scenario #2 - (traits: composure, self-restraint, wishes for freedom) is that she could have a younger sibling. A happy-go-lucky sibling that annoys and irritates her to no end. She could wish in her thoughts that she could be that free but the expectations of her family force her to be poised. Her wishful thinking and irritation mixes together to create that expression of disdain.

Scenario #3 - (traits: instigator, overwhelming intellect, not arrogant) This is an idea that ties into the disdainful expression, and the reason why she is disdainful. She sees the people around her as lesser, as she's yet to meet a person that can exceed what she can do. She can talk circles around other people by in large, and only has a few limited friends because of this. She has no mentor, or person in authority over her. She views her parents as inept and views herself as self-sufficient, and thus her general disdain towards the rest of the world. The one being on this world that she thinks might be superior to her in wordcrafting is the Lord Ruler, but he has powers divine and she does not, acknowledges that difference is irreconcilable, and makes that comparison moot in her opinion.

In this scenario she is one of the people that negotiates contracts. Her ability to talk circles around people and make opposition feel like foolishness manifest is what paves the path for her House's continued ascent. She feels that she is only slowed by the ineptitude of members of her own house that are unable to keep up with her. She understands that arrogance is unappealing, and thus makes a conscious effort not to appear so, and in her own estimation she does not believe herself to be arrogant, but admits that it may be a matter of perspective.

Player Characters:

Noblemen: Winston Elariel

Skaa: Jonesi | Pipes

Work in Progress: Martin Meson - De Facto House Lord, Marcus Meson - House Heir, Jimmi - Foreman in Training, NeeSun - Kandra of a Thousand Minds, Zulo - Keeper of Forgotten Foods

#22 KChan

Lord Prelan

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:57 PM

Keep up the great ideas, guys! I'm liking the various suggestions for her personality and would love to get a few more people's takes before I figure out how to poll this.

In the meantime, Poll #2 is closed, and the results are in: she will be from an original house, rated 6.X, with a specialty in milling. I'll be referring to them as House X until we get some names worked out.

Now, I thought of creating a poll for house origin, faction, and so on, but I think I'm going to have to go ahead and GM this one and make them a Southern house and a member of the Lekal-Fathvell-Landell faction. It's a perfect fit, and we need more characters from that corner of the political field. Feel free to offer other suggestions if you're just dying to, though. You might generate something better!

The next poll has to do with her immediate family. I tried to make it pretty broad, so we can narrow down the scope of what we're looking at and then work from there. Check the masterpost for the link.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#23 KChan

Lord Prelan

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:40 PM

Poll #3 is now closed, and as a result, we have our first tie! The voters were undecided between whether she should be a middle or an only child, so I've made a tiebreaker poll with only those two options. Cast your votes now to break the tie!

Meanwhile, we've now determined that she is not the heir to House X, and she is not the daughter of the current Lord. All four possible houses for her to be related to received votes, meaning I'll try to work in connections somewhere in her lineage to all four houses. Priority will be given based on the number of votes each candidate got, meaning that I will first attempt to work in Deveaux, then Perrault, and so on and so forth.

In the meantime, keep suggesting personality traits! I want to hear what you come up with! Don't forget to look beyond the surface: how is she with the people she's closest to? Is she loyal? Ruthless? Fickle? Loving? How hard is it to earn her trust? Let me know!

I'm also going to go ahead and open up suggestions for her name - both given and house names. To sum up, the current list of discussion questions looks like this:
  • What is her personality like?
  • If he agrees to it, should she be included in Coma's challenge?
  • What is her name?

Posted Image
Posted Image

#24 KChan

Lord Prelan

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:18 PM

Sorry for the delay, guys! The tiebreaker poll is now closed! Lady X will be an only child. The next poll(s) will be coming soon, so stay tuned!

Posted Image
Posted Image

#25 Noelle

Prelan

Posted 12 April 2014 - 04:38 PM

I think she should be disdainful to as many people as she can get away with, and only open up to those she cares about, AKA friends/family/significant others

Posted Image

Posted Image

#26 MozytheHealer

Posse Member

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:09 PM

Just some pretty typical things you see in only children(NOT SAYING THIS IS ALWAYS THE WAY, BUT THEY'RE JUST THINGS I'VE NOTICED) is not knowing how to talk to/deal with people who are younger than you. Often they are spoiled, even if their parents tried not to spoil them. There can always be a bit of something in them that is more comfortable around adults than children, as well.

PCs:

Delve, Silvan Calomine, Zella Calomine, Liss

Renette Deveaux, Marceline Dumont

Isabelle Sureau, Gisela Sureau,

Adalaide Getrue, Oliver Martel,

Grandell Tekiel, Yvette Valcier,

Katryn Domaille

WIPs:

Ranee, Delacey,

Theodoric Getrue, Kyl,

Vanessa Venture, Cedric Hallieau

Cordelia Morel, Kennith Fathvell

NPCs:

Issa Calomine, Randall Scanlan

#27 KChan

Lord Prelan

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:51 PM

Hoo boy! Big update this time! You guys were pretty united when it came to certain personality traits, haha. It seems you don't think she's a very nice person. :P Since a lot of the traits got votes, I'll try to incorporate as much of the voted-for elements as I can. Obviously, though, I can't include everything, so the more votes a trait got, the higher priority it will get.

I also added some more discussion questions. Hopefully these ones will be easier to answer. :) Of course, if you get an idea that doesn't apply to any of these questions, share it anyway!

And finally, the link for the google doc is up! Because of the nature of the challenge, a lot of things are going to be very outline-y at first, and together we'll fill in the gaps as things progress. The link is in the masterpost.

Thanks guys, and have fun!

Posted Image
Posted Image

#28 Comatose

• Shard of Brain Inactivity

Looking Good in Red

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:22 PM

I voted for parents still alive AND for step parent, as I would like to suggest the possibility of a divorce situation :)

Posted Image

#29 KChan

Lord Prelan

Posted 31 December 2014 - 08:35 PM

UPDATE: So it seems like the forum errors still won't let me make polls. Lovely. So instead, I'm asking you guys to post suggestions here or leave a comment in the doc (link in the original post) with your suggestions. At this point any prompts or discussions are welcome, but I'd also like a certain focus on the following areas:
  • Special skills
  • Relationships with any and all characters who lived in Austrex - since Ari is shaping up to be quite the social butterfly, it's especially important to work out whether or not she knew the other Austrexian PCs, and what their relationship was.

Thanks guys! I look forward to seeing your ideas!

Posted Image
Posted Image

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users