The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Comatose's Plottery Brainstorming Challenge Master Thread

7 replies to this topic

#1 Comatose

• Shard of Brain Inactivity

Looking Good in Red

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:47 PM

I'll jump on KChan's boat, haha.

So, for my character challenge, I'm doing something a little different than KChan is doing, so pay attention. Instead of starting with a picture, I'd like to start with some flavor text I got from a TV show I was watching. Basically, I thought the quote, out of context, could make an interesting character scenario, and am interested to see what comes out of a brainstorming session with you guys :)/>/>/>.

Anyways, the quote comes from season two of the OC, and I've paraphrased it to widen it's applicability.

"Can a man/woman ever really get over a woman/man like you?"

OR

"How does a woman/man ever get over a man/woman like you?"

So, basically, the scenario this quote inspires for me, is one with three characters: 1. A former love interest, 2. The person in the middle, and 3. A new love interest. One of the reasons this plotline interested me is that while I play a lot of characters who have romantic histories, I have an unfortunate tendency to kill off former love interests, so I'm interested to see how characters navigate a social scene in which their exes are still around.

I will now deal with each of the three characters separately, to give you a sense of what I have in mind for each. Before I do that, however, I'd like to note that I'd also be interested to see if I could make this plotline work with existing characters, so if you see ways for characters I, and/or someone else already play to fit in to this plotline, feel free to make suggestions :)/>/>/>. If we could populate this whole thread with existing characters, it would actually be really cool, but it's fine if we make new characters too. At the maximum, I'd only want to create one new character for this plotline, so the other two could be put up for adoption when this process is done.

Personally, I see this plotline working best with noble characters, but if people have good ideas, I'd be open to using skaa as well.

Anyways, on to the characters:
1. Former Love Interest

The former love interest would be the person the flavour text above is being addressed to. They have significant history with the person in the middle, and could potentially be the "big love" or perceived "soul mate" of character #2. Something went wrong in their romance, but it is important that the two characters still have reasons to be in eachothers lives, making it more difficult for them to get over each other. Character #1 should be a dangerous combination of attractive and complex, the worst nightmare for a current romantic partner with insecurities. He or she is also difficult to typecast (if he/she is known for their looks, they could also be surprisingly intelligent, or vice versa). Another way to play this would be to focus less on Character #1's personal attributes, and more on the substance of the emotional connection between Character 1 and 2. My idea is that, since the break-up, Character #1 has likely been in the process of getting on with his or her life, but the amount of success he/she is having is up for determination. It would be cool if they had mostly given up hope on the old romance coming back, but the question from Character #3 starts to bring those feelings back, and makes Character #1 question their decision.

Potential Conflicts: Are the feelings for #2 gone? Was it right to end the relationship? How does #3's comment play into #1's own insecurities and doubts? Can #1 live up to the perceptions of those around him or her, or does he/she find people's high expectations to be stifling?

2. The person in the middle

This is the character who is being spoken about in the quote. It was very difficult for him or her to recover from the aftermath of the break-up with character #1, but somehow they have managed it, and are happy in their relationship with character #3. The reason for the break-up, who initiated it, and what the cause was, are all up for debate. This character had a deep emotional connection with Caracter #1, and perhaps began a relationship with character #3 for political reasons, or in the hopes of finding something different. The amount of time since the break-up (months, years, decades) is also up for discussion. It could even be cool if this character is married to character #3, but they could just be seeing each other as well. While this character should be at least an adequate romantic partner for character #3, the likely have difficulty criticizing their previous relationship, and perhaps talk about it a little too much, feeding into character #3's insecurities. Their relationship with #3 is positive, but they do not connect in the same way as they do with #1 (could be a good or bad thing). It is also up for discussion whether or not Character #2 is over character #1, as I think either option (or anything in between) would make things interesting.

Potential conflicts: Can #3 be reassured that #2 truly is happier in the current relationship? How does #2 feel about the relationship between his or her ex and his or her current partner? Is it important to #2 that #1 still be a part of his or her life, even if not a romantic part, or would it be better to cut all ties?

3. The New Love Interest

Character #3 is the one who is speaking in the quote. He or she is very happy with character #2, and no matter how their relationship started, they have come to a place where they have accepted the relationship, and have very genuine feelings for character #2. They also cannot help but compare themselves to character #1, and find themselves lacking (note: this could be because of any number of attributes, from appearance, to intelligence, to talent, or anything else you can think of). They look for ways to dismiss the significance of character 1 in character2's life, often by trying to find weaknesses to offset their strengths. Their attempts to stereotype character #1 usually fail, however, and character 3's relationship with character 2 is haunted by the fear that, if given the option, character #2 will leave him or her for character #1. Likely the exact details of characters 1 and 2's romance is a mystery to character #3, and they have a mild obsession with trying to figure out what went right/wrong. They try very hard to dislike Character #1, but they end up having a surprising amount in common. Their inability to dislike character #1 feeds into their insecurity.

Potential conflicts: Will #3 ever feel "worthy" of #2? Can #3 and #1 ever be friends? How can #3 deal with his or her insecurities, and their desire to live up to the "legacy" of #1? What are some of the things #3 might do to "prove themselves?

OVERARCHING CONFLICT: Was the 1/2 romance "true love," and if so, how do the characters deal with this? What happens if they get back together, or if they stay apart? What happens if different characters feel differently? Can 2/3 be happy with what they have, and is what they have actually a better match then what was 1 and 2 did?

Sorry for the issues with pronouns in the above post, I was having trouble being gender neutral, so most of the awkward phrasing and unnecessary pluralization are because of that.

I've also tried to lay out some potential conflicts for the little love triange, but feel free to offer your own imput. Again, I will reiterate that any or all of these roles could be filled with existing characters, if the placements make sense, so feel free to take that into account as you make suggestions. If you have ideas to create new characters, also feel free to suggest faces for them. I'll decide which character I would like to play once there has been some more discussion, but if one of these roles interests you, feel free to let me know, and I will keep that in mind.

If these characters are noble, it would also be cool to work their plotline in with some of the larger Great House conflicts.

Right now, I won't place any limit on the discussion, but I may do so in the future. For the moment though, try to stay on track with what other people are saying (so if one person is mentioning one character aspect, try to go off what they say before taking the conversation in a totally different track. I will try to post regularly with summaries of some of the ideas that stand out.

Anyways, let's brainstorm! I'm excited to see what people have to say :)/>/>/>

Posted Image

#2 Tal Spektor

Skaa

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:36 PM

Uhm... There is some similarity to something I have had in mind for Lyssentella Cobalt, as #2. She might not fit this, but yeah. Just to put it out there in case you want to know.
Is an insane A.I.

#3 KChan

Lord Prelan

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:58 PM

If you and the voters are okay with it, I'll totally volunteer my own challenge character for character #2. I was looking for pictures of her, and my search turned up these:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Seems like pretty good visual fuel for a love triangle plot, if you ask me. ;) Maybe we can make a poll of it?

EDIT: Photobucket must not be a fan of that first couple, because good grief it gave me a hard time getting those images to work.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 Tal Spektor

Skaa

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:24 AM

Don't you mean, character #1 or character #3? Sorry, but I am having a herd time discerning faces here...
Is an insane A.I.

#5 Comatose

Looking Good in Red

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:39 PM

I think she meant #2 so that the two different guys she is pictured with could be numbers one and two.

I'll have to think a little more about this, but I don't mind the idea at all. Do you think we could work an existing character in? maybe one of my male characters could be character #1 then. Or we could make someone new. I'll wait to see how your character polls go and then go from there :)

Edit: Id also be game to include your character as 1 or 3 if we decide to flip the genders the other way haha

Posted Image

#6 MozytheHealer

Posse Member

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:00 PM

If it does work out like that, can I call dibs on #3? Or whatever guy is left unwanted once you've claimed characters?

PCs:

Delve, Silvan Calomine, Zella Calomine, Liss

Renette Deveaux, Marceline Dumont

Isabelle Sureau, Gisela Sureau,

Adalaide Getrue, Oliver Martel,

Grandell Tekiel, Yvette Valcier,

Katryn Domaille

WIPs:

Ranee, Delacey,

Theodoric Getrue, Kyl,

Vanessa Venture, Cedric Hallieau

Cordelia Morel, Kennith Fathvell

NPCs:

Issa Calomine, Randall Scanlan

#7 Comatose

Looking Good in Red

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:53 PM

The firstpoll is up, dealing with the genders of the characters.

For now, I'd like to avoid too many claims, unless it is to suggest an already existing character to fulfill a role. That way, people are more free to brainstorm for characters. I'll keep you in mind though when the time comes to claim them.

Posted Image

#8 Comatose

Looking Good in Red

Posted 16 September 2014 - 03:37 AM

So, I think I am going to go ahead and call this one, since I don't have the time to come up with more polls at the moment, and I'm not good at waiting for polls to come up with ideas.

So, after chatting with some other members, I think we are going ahead with the male-female-male option (As per the outcome of the first poll), with the female being Arisella, the character from KChan's creation challenge. For the other two characters, Mozy is working on a character named Cedric (I think?) who will be character #3, and so I was thinking of using one of my existing characters (Aaron Elariel or Caden Hasting) as character #1. I may eventually put up a poll deciding which guy to use, but for now I'd like to look at the characters and see if there is a clear fit.

Sorry for any inconvenience, and thanks to everyone who gave their input!

Posted Image

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users