The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Luthadel Map

WIP

11 replies to this topic

#1 Haelbarde

Acolyte

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:24 AM

Hi there.

Well, I had a look at the Map of Luthadel, and decided I wanted to have a shot at cleaning it up.

Here's what I've done so far:
Posted Image

For reference, this has the corrections to the original overlaid on what I've done:
Posted Image

And the original with corrections:
Posted Image

I've removed Keep Erikeller (the number) and put two small random buildings there. I also removed Clubs' Shop, and Camon's Safehouse, and filled in the gap. The bigest (and most obvious) thing I've done is move all the walls, and fixed up the roads leading to Luthadel, plus I moved (where relevant) the gate names to be closer to the new gates.

The biggest deviation I've made is in the northeast corner. I've pulled the walls back further. It felt like it needed to require more to justify moving the walls.

To do still is to change the Sootwarrens to look like normal districts, and make the marked slums (the blue outlined areas) look like the Sootwarrens/Twists. Then I'll need to go through and renumber the relevant locations, and make those changes both on the map, and the key on the left side.

Thought? Criticisms? Suggestions before I finish this?

Also, Admins, is it worth me finishing this or have you been doing mysterious adminy things in which this has already been done, but is waiting for the reorganization of documentation?

EDIT:

Okay, done a bit more. I've made the new slums areas look like slums, and made the Silver District not look like slums. I've left a white blank bit near the Silver District because the next thing on the list is to add all the keeps to the map, and the Casuana keep is right near there, so I'll fix it up then.

Feedback is appreciated. Let me know if I should clear up the slums/silver district areas more if you feel they don't quite fit into the map correctly.

Posted Image

Edited by Haelbarde, 02 April 2014 - 04:16 AM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

#2 Haelbarde

Acolyte

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:12 AM

Forgive the double post, but I'd like feedback to make sure people come back to check this time.

Okay, I've not really touched the map itself (buildings and such), but I've listed out all the names I think need to be listed on the side, and I've added them to the image.

What I would love feedback on is does the formatting of the list look fine? I've tried to match the original style as best as I can, but I've had to end up with 3 points in a line to try fit it all in. Does the spacing look fine?

Posted Image

Also, have I misspelt anything? Have I left out buildings/areas that need to be added?

Just noting here also: If you want to get a closer look, and clicking on the image doesn't look, you should be able to right click and get it to open in a new tab/window.

EDIT: Updated it again - I realized I'd done the wrong font for the text. Changing it also made it fit nicer too!I also added text for the Palace District, which I think turned out not too bad. The one other thing is the date up the top. I added the copper symbol because it felt the number needed to be balanced, I wasn't sure what else to put there. I used copper because of copperminds, but if you think there's a better option for the symbol, let me know.

The old version is here.

Edited by Haelbarde, 03 April 2014 - 11:59 AM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

#3 Mailliw73

Riordan Casuana's Reputation

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:22 PM

Good job! I don't see anything wrong and I like what you've done.
-Mailliw73

-Player Characters-
Wilor Zerrung, Prelan Matarn (Workshop), Rikor (pending acceptance), Kler

House Zerrung

Archived (for now):

Aspir Elariel (WIP), Lord Gustav Bulvier (WIP), Maxill Seraphino (Under Revision), Abryn Zerrung (Still Writing), Rasdon (WIP)

#4 Noelle

Prelan

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:10 PM

Some of the bubbles are mixed up or missing, my friend!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 Haelbarde

Acolyte

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:14 PM

if you're referring to the number bubbles themselves over the actual city, then yes, though that's intentional for the moment. I don't want to go to the effort of moving and adding them to match the key until the key is correct.

EDIT:

Now they're fixed!

Posted Image

Still to do:
->Add text for 'Fedre Canal'
->Clear up top right corner of city near Casuana keep
->Edit in the new buildings

EDIT 2:

DONE! \o/ (or at least I hope so)

Posted Image

Direct link.

Edited by Haelbarde, 08 April 2014 - 01:39 AM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

#6 Comatose

• Shard of Brain Inactivity

House Raisaal

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:47 PM

This is looking good to me though I did not make the original. I don't think anything is going on with the map at the moment, so good work! The only thing I can think of possibly being an issue is if we aren't supposed to edit the copy-righted map like that. As far as I know it should be fine, but I'll have to chat with the other admins.

Sorry I can't comment more. April sucks. See you all when exams are done!

Posted Image

#7 Haelbarde

Acolyte

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:31 PM

Awesome.

I hadn't thought about the copyright side of it. I guess I just assumed it'd be fine. I suppose, if need be, we could ask for permission.

And I just realized that I've made (up to) two mistakes :/

I (intentionally) left of the garrison from the map because I didn't think it was relevant. I guess I should have properly read all the sub-forums in Luthadel...

The other thing I'll need to confirm, but will alter anyway. 'Fedre Canal', in the WoA map has a symbol, rather than the implied floating text from the MBI paint map (I guess I should also have checked that). Seeing as I've got to add the garrison back in, it'll be neater to change 'Fedre Canal' to a numbered reference.

Regarding 'Fedre Canal,' I'm confused. WoA map lists it as 'Feder Canal', but its architect was probably Lord Fedre, who was inspired by Moash Feder. The MBI paint map has it listed as 'Fedre Canal'. So which one is it :/ If someone could do a word search in WoA on Feder and Fedre, it'd be nice to know how it's referred to in text.

EDIT: Checking the Mistborn 2 annotations, the implication from the notes on the maps is that the canal was one of a few easter eggs put in by Isaac referencing Brandon's friends and colleagues, implying that 'Feder' or 'Fedre' might not appear in the text of Well of Ascension... If someone could confirm that, it'd be nice.

EDIT 2: It does indeed appear that neither Feder and Fedre appear in WoA. So, here's a question:
Should I list it as 'Feder Canal' or 'Fedre Canal'?

-Feder Canal appears in the Well of Ascension map, apparently as an easter egg from Isaac Stewart.
-Lord Fedre is a canal architect mentioned in Hero of Ages.

Edited by Haelbarde, 08 April 2014 - 12:31 AM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

#8 Comatose

House Raisaal

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:00 PM

I honestly don't think the copyright thing will be an issue, but we'll just have to check first.

As far as I am concerned, I think either works fine. I'd maybe go with whatever was on the original map, but either sounds fine to me. I won't speak for anyone else though!

Posted Image

#9 Haelbarde

Acolyte

Posted 25 April 2014 - 05:09 AM

Okay, finally got around to fixing it up. I went with Feder, seeing as that's what's on the map. I also added a note along the bottom that the map has been adapted for use here.

Posted Image

Edited by Haelbarde, 25 April 2014 - 05:12 AM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

#10 Haelbarde

Acolyte

Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:59 PM

So I emailed Isaac Stewart a couple of months ago about these and he got back to me today. Pretty much, he said that so long as it's non-commercial, feel free to have fun with it. Admins, if you care, I can forward it on to you. I'll probably make one change to the map in the next few days but otherwise it's already to go if any of you admins wanted to add it to the relevant page.

EDIT:
This here should be the final version, unless there's something I've missed that's yet to be pointed out, or something drastic happens in the RP calling for a new map.

Posted Image

Edited by Haelbarde, 30 June 2014 - 01:46 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

#11 Comatose

House Raisaal

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:40 PM

I posted the final version in the official map thread, but will wait for Chaos to do any more drastic changes. Thanks for all of your hard work!

Posted Image

#12 Haelbarde

Acolyte

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:25 AM

Awesome, thanks, and no problem. It was fun to do just anyway.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users