The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Violent Brooding

Closed W2 D6 LA Liss Valerre

11 replies to this topic

#1 Liss

• Sweet Sadist

Crewleader
  • Age16

• Relationship StatusProstitute

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusUnknown

Posted 30 May 2014 - 04:00 AM

Today had been awful. Liss had almost exploded twice already and if it wasn't for the whole Allomancy thing she'd have hurt someone. Best for her to just slip away before anyone needed her. She knew it would be terrible for her dress, but so would impaling someone. A little ash was nothing to worry about, especially if she was careful.

Liss carefully, quietly made her way to the back door of the brothel. She didn't like it when people asked why she was there. It made her feel uncomfortable. Of course, she wasn't unused to having company, occasionally, but hopefully not right now. She didn't need to rant to anyone, she just wanted to hurt someone.

Luckily, no one noticed her and she made it to the back step without incident. She brushed the ash off a spot and sat down, sighing. She didn't really know what she was going to do now, but she at least was away from people. It was not that she didn't want to hurt them, because she actually did, but she didn't want to create a spectacle. She dug her fingernails into her arm to keep her grounded and just tried really hard to forget.

She was interrupted, shortly after finally calming down a little, by Valerre. She jumped up, feeling bad. This wasn't the first time she'd run into him back here, but she still didn't want to intrude on his brooding with her own, more violent, brooding. Not right now, at least. "I'm sorry. Do you want to be alone? I can leave. I was just trying to calm down before I ended up hurting someone." Liss covered the bloody fingernail marks on her arm, a little late for him to fail to notice them, or so she thought. Liss continued talking, though almost to herself, “I mean, I don’t know why no one wants me to tear someone’s eyes out, especially when he deserves it, looking at me like that. Sure, it would create a spectacle, but it would be so much fun. I could gouge out your eyes, but I’m afraid I would feel bad about it afterwards." She stopped herself from rambling more and her grip on her arm tightened again.

#2 Valerre

• Rebel

House Fathvell
  • Age22

• Relationship StatusSingle

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusHidden

Posted 06 November 2014 - 02:53 PM

Valerre left the brothel, hoping to get a moment to himself before going out to visit the usual places to find a client for the night. He knew Daphne would scold him for isolating himself with dark thoughts; if she had her way he would keep himself busy at all times, to avoid those dangerous moments of brooding when everything began to seem meaningless. To be fair, she had seen him at his darkest more times than anyone else, so perhaps she had a right to be afraid for him, but sometimes, Valerre just needed some time to hate himself a little. In some ways, it reminded him he was alive.

Lost in his own mind, Valerre almost tripped over one of the newer girls, a pretty red headed thing. Valerre ignored her mumbled apologies, intending to ignore her all the way back into the brothel so he could enjoy his stoop in peace. In his opinion, it was too early in the afternoon to be dealing with the silly problems of some...

What's wrong with her arm? Though her words had failed to make any impression at all on Valerre's mind, he fixated on the tension in her grip, and the violence in her stance. It was almost as if she was holding on to her own arm for dear life. Heedless, of her words, Valerre circled her, leaning around trying to get a better look.

"Why are you gripping your arm like that?" he asked. Then, when some of what she had said caught up to him, he added, "Did you just say you wanted to gouge my eyes out? What are you, some kind of psychopath?"

Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 Liss

• Sweet Sadist

Crewleader
  • Age16

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 06 November 2014 - 09:54 PM

Liss frowned at Valerre, her grip on her arm tightening. She wasn't a psychopath. She was just angry. She wasn't angry at him, and she hadn't realized that she had given that impression, if she had. She was not sure what he was doing at present and her frown showed just a smidge of hostility now that he had called her a psychopath.

"No. I'm not." Liss said defensively, ignoring his question about her arm. "I'm just rambling is all, and I did say that I would feel bad about it. I don't know what would give you the impression that I was a psychopath. I'm angry, yes, but it passes quickly. Or, usually it does. It hasn't really today, but I..." She trailed off and continued frowning.

Liss had realized that she didn't like the way he was looking at her. It was making her uncomfortable. She tried to shrug off the feeling, but it didn't work. She tried smiling but it quickly turned back into a frown. "Why are you looking at me like that? Is there something wrong?"

#4 Valerre

• Rebel

House Fathvell
  • Age22

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 06 November 2014 - 09:59 PM

Once Valerre realized that the girl was not going to gouge his eyes out, he went back to filtering out her words, focusing instead on her arm.

Her name starts with... an 'm'? Mina, is it? "Is that blood on your fingernails?" He asked, not realizing he had spoken out loud.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 Liss

• Sweet Sadist

Crewleader
  • Age16

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 06 November 2014 - 10:30 PM

Liss looked down at her hand and smiled a little. "Is it? I didn't realize that." She said, lifting her hand to look at it and hiding the other arm behind her back. "Ashes. I hate getting blood out from under my fingernails." Liss sighed and resisted the urge to lick her fingers clean of the blood. She could wait until she was inside to wash them off.

"I'm sorry if I was unnerving." She said, continuing to smile, although it was a little forced. She wanted to not think about her arm right now. She pushed a strand of hair behind her ear. "I do that sometimes. Especially when I am in a bad mood. But please don't take it personally."

#6 Valerre

• Rebel

House Fathvell
  • Age22

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 06 November 2014 - 10:59 PM

What did that mean? Was the blood hers? The casual way she mentioned washing it seemed to indicate this was a regular occurrence. Of course, we're in the rebellion. It's crazy person central! Not for the first time, Valerre wished that Daphne could part with her causes so the pair could go off on their own.

"Personally?" he asked, realizing that once again, he had not been listening properly. "Me? No, no that's fine. Perfectly all right. Didn't unnerve me at all." Good, it seemed like she was preparing to leave, which meant Valerre could get some alone time. "Well then, this has been nice. Pleasure to talk to you..." Too late, Valerre realized he still had not figured out the girl's name. "Mee...na..niss?"

Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 Liss

• Sweet Sadist

Crewleader
  • Age16

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 06 November 2014 - 11:24 PM

Liss smiled at him. "Liss." She said, not offended by him not knowing her name. However, she hadn't been planning on leaving. Just moving elsewhere, if he really didn't want her around. She didn't trust herself around people yet. "I did not plan on going inside just yet...there is not really anywhere in there that I can be alone and in this mood. But I can move. Somewhere."

Liss frowned a little as she thought about going inside and she reached behind her back to dig her fingernails into her arm again. "I got tired of people looking at me." Was the only explanation she gave for why she was not going back inside yet. Anything more would just escalate and she would end up hurting someone and that sounded quite nice right now. Her fingernails dug harder and a trickle of blood ran down her arm and dripped onto the ash behind her.

#8 Valerre

• Rebel

House Fathvell
  • Age22

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 06 November 2014 - 11:43 PM

Valerre shrugged. Deciding that he had been standing long enough, and that he didn't feel like waiting for Liss to make up her mind on what she was going to do, he plopped down on the back step. "I don't blame you," he said, cracking his knuckles one by one. "I get sick of people looking at me too."

Finished with his knuckles, Valerre gave his neck a good crack, and then moved on to stretching out his legs. "It makes you feel like a juicy piece of meat, sometimes, with everyone lining up to have their share." Valerre started talking again, despite his earlier intention to keep to himself. For some reason, talking to Liss wasn't as annoying as talking to other people was. "Thing is, sometimes I'm not sure there's enough to go around."

Posted ImagePosted Image

#9 Liss

• Sweet Sadist

Crewleader
  • Age16

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 07 November 2014 - 12:02 AM

Liss grimaced and nodded, even though she knew that he was beginning to tread into dangerous territory. "Hence the wish to gouge out someone's eyes. I get so angry and I have to leave because if I don't then I'll end up hurting someone." She gestured in a way that had no meaning, but the blood that had been trickling down her arm was now fully visible. "But they look at me like that and I can't do anything about it."

Liss wasn't trying to stay calm anymore. She didn't have much of a choice, now that she was entering a rage. She could feel warmth flare up in her stomach and she pulled all her energy and her feelings in towards herself, not noticing any of what was going on around her anymore. "I want to kill them all in the most slow and painful way possible." She laughed as she thought of all the things that she could do to noblemen. "Their eyes would be first, and then I would cut off their hands..." She faltered for a moment, still pulling towards herself. "But they wouldn't be allowed to die then. No, I have so many plans that they would not be allowed to die then."

#10 Valerre

• Rebel

House Fathvell
  • Age22

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 27 November 2014 - 03:47 AM

Valerre paused as he was beginning his stretches to raise an eyebrow. He was well aware of the rebellion's tendency to attract the crazies. After all, who else would be willing to challenge god in his own city? Being aware of the crazy, and being directly confronted with it in Liss's violent description of what she wanted to do to nobles were two entirely different things.

"I suppose you're in the right place then," Valerre said carefully, resuming his stretches. "But you might want to rethink your position. Sounds to me like the grittier side of the rebellion might be more your speed. Don't get me wrong, the brothel's great if you like being lazy and duping stupid nobles, but if you are out for blood, perhaps this isn't the right place for you." Valerre shrugged. He disliked nobles as much as the next skaa, but if he went around killing them all he would have decidedly less pretty men to sleep with.

Despite his discomfort, Valerre couldn't help his interest in Liss. True, she was decidedly crazy, but there was something about the fervor in her voice when she spoke about gouging eyes out, and the defiant way her blood seemed to be streaming down her arm, that was far more intriguing than anything else Valerre wanted to think about at the moment.

"So," he blurted out before his brain could turn towards those things he decidedly did not want to think about, "What brought you here?"

Posted ImagePosted Image

#11 Liss

• Sweet Sadist

Crewleader
  • Age16

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 27 November 2014 - 11:38 PM

Liss wrapped her hand around her bloody arm and pulled it back behind her back, suddenly self concious. She knew that her attitude was unusual. She sat down and tried to calm herself, but as per the usual, she could only continue growing angry, and the mention of what had brought her here made it worse. She was here only because of things that made her angry. Only because of her triggers. Thinking about it was the worst thing she could do in this situation.

She tried to start speaking a few times before she found the words through her rage. "They killed my siblings and I want to kill them, but I don't know how to kill people. Oh, I can give the evil noblemen," She spoke the word like it was disgusting, "pleasure but I don't know how to kill them and for some idiotic reason I thought that here it would be different. That somehow here my anger would be noticed and I would get to actually kill people, but no. No, it's all the same and it's all I know how to do." She ranted, pulling harder towards herself, the warmth in her stomach growing. A stray nail shot towards her and she shrieked, the warmth in her stomach going out suddenly. The nail dropped to the ground and she sighed angrily, but the surprise had shocked her out of her rage.

"I hate it when that happens." She muttered, not looking at Valerre. That had never happened around other people before. She had gotten used to hiding when she got angry, or someone forcing her to go to her room. What if that wasn't something that other people were used to?

#12 Valerre

• Rebel

House Fathvell
  • Age22

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:03 PM

As Liss entered into her little rant about not being able to kill all the nobles, Valerre started to tune her out. He'd been around enough angry skaa that he knew how these things went, and didn't particularly feel like listening to a rant he had heard (or had pretended to have heard) dozens of times.

He was startled out of his state of inattention when Liss let out a loud shriek and a nail, which had seemed to have been shooting through the air moments before, dropped to the ground.

"I hate it when that happens," Liss said, her tone promptly shifting from her high shriek of distress to a seemingly bored muttering.

"That happens to you a lot?" Vallere stopped his stretches and tried to meet Liss's eye. She was obviously an allomancer, a Lurcher by the looks at it. Maybe that was why the rebellion had hired such a crazy. But why would a physical allomancer with no combat training be needed at the brothel? Wouldn't she be more useful being trained at another cell? "You should probably work on controlling your powers then. As I understand things, Lurching is one of the more dangerous abilities, and if you don't learn not to burn unintentionally, you'll likely end up skewered or something." As long as she doesn't skewer me!

Posted ImagePosted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users