The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

A Matter of Taste

Private W2 D2 EA Eliza Fathvell Felix Fathvell Vaden Tremaine

40 replies to this topic

#21 Felix Fathvell

Tineye
  • Age20

• Relationship StatusSingle

• OriginTavira

Posted 26 October 2014 - 07:12 PM

Felix did not take her statement as a joke. Usually he would have seen the humor in it, and joked along with her, but he did not seem to have the levity he usually did. He nodded.

He stopped them at another booth, trying to make it look like they were simply stopping to taste the wine. He really wanted to catch a glance of Vaden again, to make sure he wasn't following.

He didn't listen to the sommelier's speech about the wine, nor did he care to. He picked up a glass and glanced back at the Tremaine booth.

"It would be a good idea. I'll teach you," Felix said, completely serious. Even if he had tried to hide the seriousness from his face, it would have been useless against Eliza. Vaden was still watching them.

#22 Eliza Fathvell

• Daughter of Lord Fathvell

Atium Chandelier
  • Age19

• Relationship StatusCourting Caden Hasting

• OriginSouthern Islands

Posted 26 October 2014 - 07:51 PM

Eliza didn't let go of Felix's arm when they stopped at the next booth, nor did she when it was time to actually pick up the glasses and taste the wine. She half listened to the Sommelier's speech - something about their wine being the finest Chardonnay in Tremredare that she didn't really care about at the moment - while keeping an eye on Felix. He looked just as on edge as she felt, and she wasn't sure what to feel about that. On the one hand, it was reassuring to know that she wasn't just imagining things and that her instincts were still working. On the other, if Felix was that concerned, just how dangerous was Vaden Tremaine?

"Have I mentioned how glad I am to have my Best Cousin back?" she asked with a relieved grin when Felix offered to teach her. "Of course, you know this also means I'll have to go to even more tastings with you. There's no way Aunt Cora can make us split up now."

Of course, Aunt Cora could try to make Eliza just stay home from the events Tremaine would be attending, but Eliza chose not to think about it that way. She would use anything she could get her hands on as a reason to spend more time with Felix, and that was that.

Besides, she felt safer having Felix around. Even in situations that didn't require Allomantic help, and when she might otherwise have felt smothered by someone else's attempts to shelter her, it felt good knowing that her Best Cousin was looking out for her. He knew she could take care of herself, after all, but when push came to shove, he would be right there to back her up. It was one of the ways he showed he cared.

And she had the feeling that when it came to Vaden Tremaine, she would definitely need Felix close.

Posted Image

#23 Felix Fathvell

Tineye
  • Age20

• OriginTavira

Posted 26 October 2014 - 09:48 PM

Vaden Tremaine was only dangerous if they allowed him to be. Felix was only nervous for Eliza's safety because if she came across him alone, there was no way that Felix could guarantee Vaden would not try something untoward.

He smiled at Eliza, his earlier mood returning as they were farther away from Tremaine's table. "I wouldn't let her split us up in the first place," he said chuckling. "I finally have my Best Cousin again. There isn't anything that can separate us now." He set his wine glass back on the table, and touched his cousin's hand that was resting on his arm, reassuringly.

"Cora has told me that she doesn't want to interrupt my routine, and so I won't let her. My new routine suddenly heavily involves my Best Cousin attending wine tastings at my side."

He didn't want to seem overbearing, and he hoped that was not how he came across. He truly just cared for his cousin and did not want to see her hurt. She was half the reason he had applied himself during the years he spent with Aunt Cora in the first place.

They had been inseparable when they were children. Although the distance between them for the last few years was not an emotional one, it was a weight off of Felix's mind to know for certain that they were as close as they were before Felix was forced to leave Tavira. The only distance between them had been physical distance, and it was one of the few things he was truly grateful for.

"I do think that it would be prudent that we taste one or two more wines and then return to the keep." Felix said quietly so that only Eliza would be able to hear. as he guided them to the next booth. "I am not saying I think that Vaden is a threat, I'd just rather not have out myself to a group of noblemen who gossip more than Colette Hasting's lackeys..." He said chuckling. "Especially not because of a drunk Thug."

#24 Eliza Fathvell

Atium Chandelier
  • Age19

• OriginSouthern Islands

Posted 26 October 2014 - 10:11 PM

Eliza frowned, disappointed, but she understood why Felix had made the call he had. If Vaden tried to start something here - and he looked drunk enough that he just might - Felix would have no choice but to take a beating or, like he said, reveal himself for a stupid reason. She just couldn't ask him to take that risk just so they could drink more wine, especially since there would be plenty of other tastings to go to in the future.

"I guess we'll just have to make these next tastings count," she said with a grin, trying to bring back the fun they had been having before Tremaine showed up. "Choose wisely, Lord Sommelier; I've got the notorious Fathvell palate, after all."

Posted Image

#25 Felix Fathvell

Tineye
  • Age20

• OriginTavira

Posted 27 October 2014 - 12:33 AM

Felix grinned, happy to forget Vaden for the moment while they enjoyed the rest of the tasting. He looked around at the tables, at the wines, trying to spot one that Eliza might enjoy. He ruled a few of them out, having already tasted their wines, and knowing that they were not on par with any of the Fathvell wines.

He Instead chose one that he had not tried before, but they looked promising. "I do hope this one will suit your liking, M'lady" he said to Eliza playfully as they stopped at the table. "I have heard many good things about this vintage."

Felix picked up the glass and swirled the wine around in it to aerate it. This was one of the few he tried first. It was a very rich merlot, with a lot of flavor, and it wasn't half bad. Definitely not as ashy as the Tremaine wine seemed to be. He grinned.

"I do know how to pick them," he said as he urged Eliza to taste it.

#26 Eliza Fathvell

Atium Chandelier
  • Age19

• OriginSouthern Islands

Posted 27 October 2014 - 01:14 AM

Eliza couldn't help but smile when Felix instantly picked a merlot for them to taste next. She had never actually told him that it was her favorite, but he'd somehow known. Maybe he just knew her that well, or maybe he was that good of a sommelier, but most likely it was a little bit of both.

It wasn't a half bad vintage, either. It was ashier, perhaps, than Fathvell's wines, but after the Tremaine table, it tasted almost pristine. The flavor was rich and complex, and it even had a decent finish.

"Apparently you do," she agreed with a smile, before taking a nibble of chocolate and sipping the wine again. Mmm. "How did you know merlot is my favorite?"

Posted Image

#27 Felix Fathvell

Tineye
  • Age20

• OriginTavira

Posted 27 October 2014 - 01:44 AM

Felix grinned at Eliza. How had he known? They hadn't really tasted too many wines together, Eliza just struck him as a woman who enjoys a merlot. She was strong-willed, and wore most of her emotion on her sleeve. This was a game that Felix liked to play. He had never really explained it to Eliza.

He put his wine glass back on the table and grinned at her. "I have a game that I like to play." he said. "It came from Cora's training actually. She taught me to observe people. Figure out things about them that they try to hide by their mannerisms and how they carry themselves... the way they talk..." He shrugged.

"So I thought it was boring and turned it into a game. It's called Which Wine." He said. "Although, I admit you were easier than most people are..." He said grinning.

#28 Eliza Fathvell

Atium Chandelier
  • Age19

• OriginSouthern Islands

Posted 27 October 2014 - 03:01 AM

Eliza laughed and arched an eyebrow at Felix. "Me? Easier to read?" she asked, mock surprise written all over her face. "I wonder why that is? Maybe because I'm me, or because you're my Best Cousin? Well, not that I'm complaining. You were right, of course. I'd like to see you play it with someone we've never met before, though. Not here of course, but sometime."

Posted Image

#29 Felix Fathvell

Tineye
  • Age20

• OriginTavira

Posted 27 October 2014 - 03:44 AM

Felix smirked. "I have not tried that. How long would I get to look at them before I had to choose a wine for them?" he asked. "Also can it be a young noblewoman who doesn't know anything about wine? I'll get her a Moscato and she'll be in love at first sip." He said smiling. Moscato was the choice of wine for anyone who didn't have a taste for real wine. It tasted like bubble water, with sugar mixed in. At least it went well with some lighter desserts.

#30 Eliza Fathvell

Atium Chandelier
  • Age19

• OriginSouthern Islands

Posted 27 October 2014 - 03:51 AM

"That's cheating," Eliza laughed. "You have to pick a real wine. And obviously the game wouldn't start until we met them. I couldn't ask even you to just stare at someone and decide what wine they like."

Posted Image

#31 Felix Fathvell

Tineye
  • Age20

• OriginTavira

Posted 27 October 2014 - 07:17 AM

Felix was at least grateful that he and Eliza had the same opinion of Moscato. He rubbed his chin thoughtfully. "Then... How about the next person we meet together, whom I haven't met before, I will pick out their favorite wine by the end of the conversation." He said. "If I pick it, I win. If I'm wrong you win."

"What should the winner get?" He asked, grinning.

#32 Eliza Fathvell

Atium Chandelier
  • Age19

• OriginSouthern Islands

Posted 28 October 2014 - 02:52 AM

Eliza made a great ordeal out of drawing out her thoughtful pause, as though the weight of the world were on her shoulders, but unfortunately, she couldn't really think of anything. Not right now, anyway. Maybe after she'd had some more time to think about it?

"A prize," she said instead, grinning as though she hadn't just given the least useful answer possible.

Posted Image

#33 Felix Fathvell

Tineye
  • Age20

• OriginTavira

Posted 09 November 2014 - 05:53 PM

Felix stood patiently waiting for Eliza to think. He crossed his arms and had a lazy sort of smile on his face. Finally, she answered...

Felix chuckled. "A prize," He repeated grinning. "Why didn't I think of that?"

Felix offered Eliza his arm to take her to another table before they left. He put his free hand over hers when she took his arm and smiled. "Have I told you yet how glad I am you are in Luthadel?" he asked.

#34 Eliza Fathvell

Atium Chandelier
  • Age19

• OriginSouthern Islands

Posted 22 December 2014 - 04:09 AM

"Only about a hundred times or so," Eliza replied with a broad grin as she let Felix lead her to the next table. "Keep saying it and maybe one day I'll be happy I'm here too. Of course," she added quickly, "I'm happy to be here with you; it's the rest of it that still needs some convincing."

Of course, there was that dance she'd had with Lord Caden before the fire... but no. She couldn't think about that now, or Felix would notice and start teasing her about it.

Posted Image

#35 Felix Fathvell

Tineye
  • Age20

• OriginTavira

Posted 03 January 2015 - 04:41 PM

"Hopefully I at least make it bearable," Felix said, smiling.

"I doubt that there is a place in all the Final Empire that is more opposite of Tavira, that's for sure. Although, as much as I miss home, I've missed it for so long it's almost better as just a memory." He stopped at their final table before they would leave the wine tasting.

"Perhaps the only thing I can say for Luthadel is that it isn't Austrex," He paused and picked up two wine glasses, handing one to his cousin. "Anywhere is better than Austrex."

#36 Eliza Fathvell

Atium Chandelier
  • Age19

• OriginSouthern Islands

Posted 04 January 2015 - 04:11 AM

"Ah, Austrex," Eliza laughed, taking the glass Felix offered. "Is it just me, or did that place smell weird? I honestly had no interest in even exploring it when we stopped there; I just walked around the docks to stretch my legs until it was time to leave again. And did you pick this with your sommelier knowledge or did you just pick a random glass off a random table?" It didn't have much of an aroma, which wasn't a good sign at first... until she picked up the slightest hint of wet wool. What in the world...?

The aroma should have told her to stop, and she should have listened. She was pretty sure this was supposed to be a merlot, but it had no structure with such strong tannins and such high acidity that it was like the wine was trying to punch her in the face. And the finish was just as unpleasant. But of course, she didn't need to say anything of the sort. It was written all over her face. Who would even do that to a merlot!? However, since her opinion was so easy to see, apparently Felix had decided not to repeat her mistake - and that just wouldn't do, not after he'd been the one to pick the bloody thing.

"Felix Fathvell, don't you dare put that glass down. You picked this, you made me drink it, now you get to drink the cup you poured. Don't abandon your Best Cousin to this."

Posted Image

#37 Felix Fathvell

Tineye
  • Age20

• OriginTavira

Posted 04 January 2015 - 04:25 AM

"It is not so bad if you are given time to get used to it. Or you're forced to," Felix said, shrugging.

He was about to taste the wine with Eliza, but he watched her face turn sour as she smelled the wine. What was it that she smelled? He was almost afraid to test it himself. Except he had picked up the glass. He watched her take a sip and he smelled it while she did so.

When he did catch the aroma of wet, mangy dog. There was something wrong with this wine. Something terribly, terribly wrong. He wanted to offer the house money to stop production to save the rest of the world from this affront.

He started to put the glass down, but Eliza protested. He pouted at her. "What... You mean I have to actually drink something that smells worse than Austrex?" He asked.

#38 Eliza Fathvell

Atium Chandelier
  • Age19

• OriginSouthern Islands

Posted 04 January 2015 - 04:30 AM

"You mean you'd serve something to your Best Cousin that you wouldn't drink yourself?" Eliza asked right back, with a pout that was at least as big and dramatic as the one Felix was giving her. "I know sometimes people ask for wines from their sommelier that you'd rather not serve them, but this is just too much."

Posted Image

#39 Felix Fathvell

Tineye
  • Age20

• OriginTavira

Posted 04 January 2015 - 04:38 AM

Felix knew he was trapped. He had chosen this table to visit. He picked up the two wines. Admittedly he was distracted by the thought of the unpleasantness of Austrex. Perhaps that was what drew him toward the awful-smelling wine in his hand.

He wrinkled his nose and stuck his tongue out at Eliza before draining his glass. He hoped that if he did it all at once it wouldn't be so bad. Perhaps this was not a sipping wine but a gulping one.

Or a never wine.

Never again would he subject his taste buds to such drek. He had a feeling that they used water from the canals in the final process of taking the wine from the barrel and putting it into the bottles.

He put down the glass and shook his head. "Are you happy now, dear cousin?" he asked making a disgusted face.

"Perhaps we should taste one more before we leave that we might actually enjoy. I do not want that taste to linger in my mouth any longer than it has to."

#40 Eliza Fathvell

Atium Chandelier
  • Age19

• OriginSouthern Islands

Posted 04 January 2015 - 04:48 AM

"Agreed," Eliza said as she took Felix's arm. She was only happy to move on to another table, literally putting this one - and its awful wine - behind her. They were several steps away when she realized they hadn't spoken so much as a word to the poor sommelier there, much less actually acknowledged his presence. Oops. Well, maybe he shouldn't allow such awful wine to be served. Really, there were a lot of ways to stand out in the wine market, but this was the wrong one to go with.

"Maybe a nice Shiraz, if you can find one?" she suggested. "I could do with something strong after the day we've had. Or I guess we could just have a glass of your favorite rum when we get home." She paused for a moment, then added, "Maybe after that other thing we agreed to do. Having rum before that just seems like a horrible idea. I made it out of Tavira without looking like a pirate; there's no need to change that now."

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users