The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

In Which a Plot is Hatched

Private W2 D3 EA Jasun Vallace Colette Hasting

15 replies to this topic

#1 Jasun Vallace

• Fallen Noble

Prelan
  • Age30

• Relationship StatusSecretly Engaged to Lysette Hasting

• OriginKlessium

• Allomantic StatusHidden

Posted 24 September 2014 - 11:59 PM

Jasun was very glad that Lysette was not the type to test his love for her. If she was, this would feel very, very much like a test, and that would just make things worse. After all, how else was he supposed to feel about going to Keep Hasting, in broad daylight, to meet people who knew exactly who he was? There was no alias to hide behind, no knowledge that they did not know what he was. Yes, Colette was Lysette's best friend but that did not make it any less terrifying. Merely more... manageable, if such a thing to could be said.

He had no illusions that if things went sour he could get out alive. They would have people ready, surely. Hazekillers, Allomancers, all kinds of nasties, right? The idea of facing noble Allomancers was not something he really wanted to explore too much. Lysette had showed him time and time again just how poor a fighter he truly was. Given he'd gotten better under her guidance but... it was not years upon years of formal education and training to kill people, not even close. His education, if the jig saw of different techniques, teachers, and metals he'd been able to learn over the years he'd been in hiding could even be called that, did not seem like nearly enough when going into a place such as this.

He was scared, terrified, but it was not an altogether unusual feeling for him. Given, it had been a while since he had last been this scared. Yes he was Mistborn, yes he had unimaginable power, but he was still mortal. He wondered if other Mistborn remembered that, but they had not been surrounded by criminals every day and every night for decades, never sure if someone wouldn't just slit his throat in his sleep. Then again, were nobles any better? He supposed they would probably send someone else to do the throat slitting, but...

His carriage came to a stop, and Jasun's calm mask fell into place. Yes, Colette might know who he was, what he was, but she did not have to know what he was thinking. Nor then, did anyone else. As the door opened and he got out, introduced himself to one of the guards and was quickly ushered inside, lead to a room by a servant, and left to stew.

The room did not have windows, unfortunately, and though Jasun had made note of the halls they had walked down it had been quite the trek. He felt trapped, very very trapped, and he had no idea where to put his back too. He never felt truly safe unless he knew all the entrances and exits of a room. As far as he could tell there was only the one, but you could never know if there was a secret entrance just ready to pop open and release a flood of enemies. It'd happened to him before... He studied the walls with tin, ears strained to hear the presence of others.

No one was close for the moment and he felt the tension, the fear, ebb slightly. It didn't show in his demeanor, though, as far as anyone watching was concerned he'd been perfectly at ease, he'd long since been able to form a disconnect between how he felt and how he acted. If he hadn't he would have been a very poor conman, not to mention dead. He rolled his eyes briefly and put his back to the wall. His eyes focused on the one entrance he did know about, tin still burning to catch wind of anyone approaching, he stood and waited.

#2 Colette Hasting

• Potential Hasting Heiress

Atium Chandelier
  • Age19

• Relationship StatusSingle

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 30 September 2014 - 01:34 AM

"My Lady, a Lord Jasun Vallace to see you. He's waiting just down the hall."

"Yes, very good," Colette said, but she didn't look up from her paperwork. The servant waited, hesitating, obviously deciding whether or not to speak. Finally, the wait got the better of her.

"My lady?"

"I heard you." Colette still didn't look up, but in her peripheral vision, Colette was aware that she was trying not to fidget. It was slightly irksome, but also rather entertaining. A longer paused passed this time, and Colette actually managed to get a couple seconds of work done before the servant woman spoke up again.

"What shall I have him do, my Lady?"

"Sit down."

Another pause.

"I beg your pardon, My Lady?"

"Not him. You. Sit down." Without looking up, she pointed at a chair in the corner of the study. "Right there."

The servant did as she was told, and Colette went back to her paperwork. After a few minutes had passed, she idly began to tug on the girl's emotions: first making her more restless and anxious, then allowing her self-control and patience to come back to the front, then repeating the cycle all over again. Only when she got bored with that did she gesture for the girl to stand.

"My Lady?"

"I'm tired of waiting. Go get him for me." The servant paused, obviously confused. Colette gave a sharp tug on her fear, and the way the blood drained from her face when Colette finally stared up at her. "Did you go deaf, girl? Go! Now!"

The girl squeaked, curtsied, and ran off. Colette just smirked and returned to her paperwork. Yes, quite satisfying. A short while later, there was a knock at the door.

"Come in," she commanded.

Posted Image

#3 Jasun Vallace

• Fallen Noble

Prelan
  • Age30

• OriginKlessium

Posted 01 October 2014 - 11:26 PM

Jasun had relaxed fractionally when he heard sounds of movement coming down the hall. He flared tin and pushed aside all distractions with the ease of long practice to listen. Foot steps yes, but quick and soft. The swish of fabric on the floor and light, panicked breaths. A woman then.

The door opened an instant later and Jasun eased back on his tin as the scraping of the door was annoyingly loud. The woman who stared up with him with a poorly hidden scared expression was the same one who had led him here. Odd, she hadn't seemed scared when she'd been leading him here. Nervous yes, but servants were like that sometimes. Without really thinking about it he reached out with his Allomancy, easing her discomfort as gently as he could. It was not his habit to scare people unless he wanted to after all, although he did not think it was him.

A touch of confidence, tamping down on her fear and unease, he avoided making her happy, but a little bit of relief wouldn't hurt, right? She perked up somewhat, looking up for just an instant to see his good natured smile and to his chagrin he saw the faintest hint of pink tinge her cheeks... oops.

"My Lord, Lady Colette will see you now." She said, eyes firmly on his tie.

"Wonderful, just lead the way."

She did, and while Jasun itched to stamp out any misplaced... feelings, he decided he'd done enough meddling with the girl's emotions. For all he knew perhaps she'd just been surprised and embarrassed to see him smile at her, and so his machinations would have no effect.

She knocked on the door and Lady Colette's voice came through, muffled but commanding and the girl opened the door immediately. Jasun stepped through and was surprised when he saw it was an office. A very well organized and obviously well used office. In retrospect that shouldn't have really come as a surprise. Lysette's cousin was trying to become the heir of House Hasting, after all. It was not as if she could spend her time embroidering or... whatever it was noblewomen who weren't Allomancers did to pass the time.

His eyes went from taking in the room to looking at the woman occupying it and Jasun could not help but automatically compare her looks to Lysette's. She lost on all counts, but he did not hold it against her. Everyone did. He had just been standing there a moment but he was quick to sweep into a deep, respectful bow.

"Lady Colette," he said, perfectly polite and smiling warmly, "I am Lord Jasun Vallace, and I must say it is a pleasure to meet you at last."

#4 Colette Hasting

Atium Chandelier
  • Age19

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 02 October 2014 - 01:06 AM

A pleasure, he said, though it certainly wasn't mutual yet. She knew nothing about this man, other than that he was Mistborn and that Lysette had supposedly fallen head over heels for him. And his house was a ruin. Sure, another Mistborn was always useful, but she wouldn't blindly jump at an opportunity that might not even be there. He could very well be a plant from one of Deveaux or Venture's allies, sent to ferret out weaknesses and attack Hasting from within.

"Lord Jasun Vallace." She said his name slowly and deliberately. "I've heard quite a lot about you, though not perhaps as much as I'd like. Most importantly, however, I'm told you seek my cousin's hand in marriage."

Posted Image

#5 Jasun Vallace

• Fallen Noble

Prelan
  • Age30

• OriginKlessium

Posted 02 October 2014 - 01:20 AM

She hadn't returned the greeting, but it made sense. He had been meeting her cousin illicitly at night for months without her knowledge. That sort of thing tended to sour one's opinion of you. He took a seat in front of her and leaned forward slightly, clasping his hands in front of him.

"You are very correct. To put it simply Lysette is the love of my life," He could have kept the very silly grin from appearing on his face at the mention of her name, but to be honest it helped sell the head over heels impression he was trying to give so he let it leak through, "And my only wish is to marry her."

He leaned back then and shrugged, "But no doubt you still have much you need to ask me, so please do. What do you wish to know? I will do my best to answer."

#6 Colette Hasting

Atium Chandelier
  • Age19

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 02 October 2014 - 01:24 AM

Was that... really all this Jasun had to say? Did he think this was a joke? He wanted to marry one of her Mistborn and all he could answer was that he loved her? Ridiculous. Hasting was a Great House, after all; there were more important things to marriages than love.

"You can start by telling me what you can offer Hasting for Lysette's hand," she said simply. "She is quite an eligible woman, you know. Suitors line up for miles for daughters of Great Houses. Why should I give her hand to you instead of someone else?"

Posted Image

#7 Jasun Vallace

• Fallen Noble

Prelan
  • Age30

• OriginKlessium

Posted 02 October 2014 - 01:35 AM

Jasun looked at her askance. Was he missing something here? True he did not have money or political connections to offer Hasting. But as far as he knew Mistborn were still rare even among the most powerful of Houses. Lysette had certainly told Lady Colette that he was Mistborn. What more could she possibly want? How many unattached male Mistborn were there in Luthadel?

Fear gripped him for a moment, at the idea of something he'd taken as fact could be wrong. He'd gone into this being sure that his Allomancy would be enough for them. Surely, surely it had to be, right? The idea of not being able to marry Lysette because he wasn't a bloody heir of an intact house or some nonsense was just... mind boggling. And terrifying.

He calmed himself though, no. He was right. He had to be right. One eyebrow arched up delicately as he spoke, with genuine curiosity, "And are all these men Mistborn? Because if they are then I suppose I do have a problem."

#8 Colette Hasting

Atium Chandelier
  • Age19

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 02 October 2014 - 01:46 AM

"There are other factors to take into account," Colette reminded him calmly. "Does everyone in Luthadel know you're Mistborn? Because if they don't, they will see me allowing my cousin to marry some strange man no one's ever heard of. It will be a difficult thing to integrate someone into my house who came out of nowhere.

"Furthermore, nobody knows anything about you or your house. How do I even know you are who you say you are? How do I know you haven't been sent by my enemies to infiltrate Hasting?"

Posted Image

#9 Jasun Vallace

• Fallen Noble

Prelan
  • Age30

• OriginKlessium

Posted 02 October 2014 - 02:08 AM

Jasun had known there'd be problems with him marrying Lysette considering he was from a fallen House, but he had figured Hasting would be fine with smoothing things over if given the chance to acquire another Mistborn. It was only when she mentioned spies that Jasun could finally understand her reluctance. Of course that made sense. His appearance was quite shady after all. He had come from nowhere, a Mistborn seemingly unattached to any House, and stolen the heart of one of Hasting's Mistborn. It was questionable.

"House Vallace was a minor Klessium noble House." He said, "We dealt in weapons, mostly. At least that's what I remember. I am the second son of the late Lord Vallace, who died twenty years ago, along with the rest of my House. The manor was set aflame while I was out on a lesson with my Coinshot teacher, who very nearly killed me." He shrugged, "As far as I know I am the only Vallace still alive, and considering I have been in hiding for two decades to stay that way, there is no way anyone can confirm my identity. The last time most people saw me I was ten, after all.

"Obviously that sounds a little... convenient." He quirked his mouth in thought, "But it is the truth. I have been in Luthadel for all of two years and in that time I have avoided all the Great Houses like the plague, so I cannot be working for them because they don't know I exist. But again, you have only my word for it." He shrugged again, more helplessly, "All I can say is I will do whatever is needed to convince you my wish to marry Lysette is not to do some sort of spying, assassinating, attack from within nonsense that would most likely end with my death, but rather because I wish to marry her, and nothing more."

Jasun paused, then brightened, "Of course, Lysette could tell you that there is absolutely no way I have been trained by a Great House. I have only two years of formal education after all, and the fact that she can best me easily should lend some credence to the fact that I am being truthful."

#10 Colette Hasting

Atium Chandelier
  • Age19

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 06 October 2014 - 08:54 PM

Colette listened carefully to Jasun's spiel, leaning back in her chair and eyeing him with a level gaze as he spoke. She sipped her tea thoughtfully for added effect, though it had long since grown cold, and used the pause in conversation to carefully process what he had said.

The first thing to jump out at her, of course, was his supposed willingness to do anything to prove his devotion to Lysette. That would prove useful indeed, especially with his Allomancy. Except, apparently, for the fact that he barely had any training to speak of.

What.

This fool of a man was trying to convince her to let him marry her most trusted and valued Mistborn, yet he openly admitted he'd only been trained for two years? What in the Lord Ruler's name had he been doing the rest of the time then, and more importantly, what was she supposed to do with him? What good was a Mistborn without the appropriate accompanying education? She certainly couldn't use him against any of the other Great Houses then; their own Mistborn would eat him for breakfast. Mistings, perhaps? But even that was a risk. This man was completely and utterly useless to her.

Useless, she realized, except for perhaps one purpose - and one purpose only. After all, there was one target she knew perfectly well couldn't fight back against even the most pathetic of Mistborn. And if this Jasun fellow just happened to get himself killed in the aftermath, what loss of it was to her? He'd have already fulfilled her purpose for him, and if he was being sincere about his devotion about Lysette, he might just do it. There was the small inconvenient matter of Lysette being in love with this man, but Colette could hardly be to blame if he was so desperate to prove his devotion that he ran off and did something stupid, could she?

It was so perfect, she just had to smile.

"If you're that devoted to proving your devotion to Lysette, and by extension to Hasting, I think perhaps we can come to an arrangement," she said as she set her teacup back down. "There are, after all, plenty of delicate matters for which I could desperately use someone I trust."

She sighed heavily, the sound of a woman who was heavily burdened with the well-being of her dearest family member. "Oh, I have Lysette of course, but I dearly wish to protect her from getting too caught up in certain things. She's perfectly capable, as I'm sure you well know, but I just can't help it. She is so dear to me, and being Mistborn is hard enough already, or so I'm told. I just can't bring myself to ask her to do what really needs to be done around here. You, however..." She paused thoughtfully, still looking him over with that measuring gaze.

"Yes, perhaps you are just the person I need. Someone I can trust to help me with what I need, and who can take care of Lysette at the same time. Protect her from the worst of it, stand by her through the rest, and most importantly, make her happy." She smiled at him again, a mask of delight at the thought.

"Of course," she added with a concerned frown, "I can't simply bring you into my confidence or promise Lysette's hand to you just because you offered your services to me. You understand, I'm sure, after everything we've just talked about. I have to know for certain that I can trust you. That you are, beyond a shadow of a doubt, completely devoted to my cause. Which, as you undoubtedly know, is also Lysette's. If you can prove yourself to me, I believe the rest of our little inconveniences can easily be made to disappear.

"Do we have an understanding, Lord Jasun?" she asked with a smile.

Posted Image

#11 Jasun Vallace

• Fallen Noble

Prelan
  • Age30

• OriginKlessium

Posted 06 October 2014 - 09:26 PM

Jasun listened intently to Colette, and kept any hint of surprise off his face from her sudden change of pace. He was happy that she seemed more happy about the whole thing of course, now that he was going to be doing something for her. However, what exactly had facilitated the switch? Where in his speech had he come off as a hardened killer who would be a better choice to take someone out than Lysette? Of course if Colette wanted someone conned he was the far better choice, but using Mistborn for something other than murder seemed to be a foreign concept to nobles if Lysette's training was any indication.

The way she danced around what she wanted, while still leading him to the conclusion she no doubt wanted him to make gave him enough information to want to run. He did not trust her because she sounded far too much like himself. He had a good ear for that kind of manipulation, he'd heard it enough times, and it made him want to take a step back. More than a step, it made him want to run as fast as possible out of there. There was only one reason he did not. One reason he decided to accept her at her word and believe what she said. Lysette's trust was hard won and if this woman had it, no matter how much she might seem like any other self serving noble, she had to be on the level.

Still, even though he knew what she wanted - it was not that hard to divine, him a knife and the bastard Hasting spending some time together - he decided to act as if he did not. He could trust her and at least try to deceive her at the same time, couldn't he? He nodded after he made a show of digesting what she said, "Of course, I would do anything for Lysette," And only her, "How might I prove myself?"

#12 Colette Hasting

Atium Chandelier
  • Age19

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 06 October 2014 - 09:39 PM

Colette just picked up her teacup again, staring up at him over its gilded edge. Was he really expecting her to believe he hadn't heard her loud and clear? "You're a smart man," she said with a smile - at least, she hoped he was. "I'm sure you'll figure something out." She drained the cup, glad to be rid of the cold tea, and set it aside.

"Lysette will be attending House Perrault's ball tonight. Perhaps seeing her there will remind you why you're doing this. You may formally request her hand in marriage when I know you can be trusted."

Posted Image

#13 Jasun Vallace

• Fallen Noble

Prelan
  • Age30

• OriginKlessium

Posted 06 October 2014 - 09:57 PM

'Run. You know you want to. You know when you're being played. You haven't survived for twenty years in the underground by doing things like this. Just nod and say yes and then when you see Lysette tonight tell her her cousin is barking mad and wanted you to kill someone for her.' His thoughts were quite emphatic, and he quite emphatically told them to shut the hell up, just as he curbed his tongue from making some glib remark.

Her words made him realize something though, Lysette had apparently not told her best friend that they had already been planning to meet. Why else would Colette tell him something he already knew? Perhaps Lysette had forgotten to mention it? There were more important things to mention, like the fact that he existed at all.

But that brought to mind more important things. Namely that Lysette was here, in the very same building he was, somewhere, and he could talk to her about this. Discuss the political ramifications of killing Caden. Make sure that she was certain Colette was to be trusted. Also she was in a dress, that he had to see.

"Is it possible for me to see her now? I am sure she has duties but if she heard I was here..." He smiled hopefully.

#14 Colette Hasting

Atium Chandelier
  • Age19

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 06 October 2014 - 11:30 PM

Colette paused thoughtfully before answering. At this time of day, Lysette would likely be... yes, that might work.

"You may see her," she said after a moment, "but she might be unable to stop what she's doing to visit with you. If she is, you will need to be on your way without bothering her. Is that understood?"

Posted Image

#15 Lysette Hasting

Tineye
  • Age19

• Relationship StatusSecretly Engaged

• OriginLansing City

Posted 07 October 2014 - 12:30 AM

With a hard thud, Lysette's back hit the ground. She kicked her attacker off and vaulted back to her feet. Another came at her, and tried to knock her over. She retaliated, but the attacker was gone as quick as he came. She was being played. Lysette could see what was happening, but that was the game her brilliant mentor decided she would play this afternoon. She went along with it. She always did. Lysette thought many of his training exercises could have been better planned. This one seemed pointless.

It frustrated Lysette to no end to have attackers from all sides. She was repeatedly knocked over, but they relented almost as soon as her back touched the floor. She grunted and went at it again, throwing her entire mind and body into her training.

Even if she had been aware of the onlookers, training was not to be interrupted except by family emergency. Lysette would not have given them a second glance.

#16 Jasun Vallace

• Fallen Noble

Prelan
  • Age30

• OriginKlessium

Posted 07 October 2014 - 01:47 AM

Jasun agreed at once, and was led through the keep by the same female servant as before. He could not help a small grin from appearing on his face at the idea of getting to see Lysette in a dress. More importantly though, he needed to speak to her. He had known going in, of course, that he would end up being an assassin. That was what Mistborn were, after all, and the whole point of this was to become a Hasting Mistborn. However he had not thought it would happen so soon. After all, he wasn't a proper Mistborn. Why hadn't Lysette stressed that? Why hadn't she said how good he was at manipulating people? Well... perhaps that would have just made them think he had manipulated Lysette, so maybe that was for the best, but still...

The halls they were walking through had grown slowly more spartan, and a horrible, horrible thought occurred to Jasun, but certainly he would not be that unlucky...

"Dear girl," He said to the servant, "I don't suppose we're going past the training halls."

She seemed less nervous now, but her voice was still a tad wavery as she spoke, "No, we are going to them."

Jasun gave a very overblown and melodramatic groan and the servant started, "M-my lord?"

"Pay it no mind." He said, still frustrated, but he quickly saw the plus sides. It was daylight, and she wouldn't have ground ash into her skin like usual, he would be fine with that, but it would be somewhat difficult to talk to her in private this way. Perhaps he could speak softly enough that only she could hear with tin? He just needed a few moments, surely she could take a break.

They soon arrived and the servant opened the door for him, Jasun stepped through to see a wholly alien sight meet his eyes. Lysette was not completely destroying her opponent. Although given, her opponent had always been him, so perhaps that was to be expected, but still...

Even as he watched her get tossed around, and suppressed the part of him that wished to stop it since he knew she would not appreciate that, he could tell she was doing much, much better than he would have ever managed. Even with pewter he was pretty sure it would have taken the men that continually threw themselves at her less than a minute to overwhelm him. But she kept moving, and managed to keep herself free.

"Umm... Lysette?" He called hopefully, but she didn't spare him a glance, which was probably for the best when he thought about it. Breaking her concentration would probably just end up with her thrown about by the men attacking her, and he decided not to try to call again. He did stand and watch her though for a few minutes, uncomfortable thoughts rolling through his mind.

For all Colette's talk about him somehow being able to protect her, Jasun was bitterly, fully aware that there was nothing he could protect Lysette from that she could not just as easily take care of herself. Really, in any dangerous situation it was much more likely that he would be the liability. He didn't hold it against her, it was not as if he wanted her to be some sort of damsel he had to save, but it did not keep him from feeling rather useless and impotent in comparison.

That did not have to always be the case, of course. He could be trained, properly, once he became a Hasting Mistborn. He could gain the power he wanted so badly, the power to actually be useful to her, to be worthy of her. To be more than a liar and conman and cheat who had hid in the shadows so long he was scared of being in the light.

Does she even like Caden? He could not stop himself from thinking, Why would killing him be so hard on her? Not that he wanted her to have to kill more than she had to, but it was just his suspicions festering again. It would be nice if he could just speak to Lysette so she could lay them to rest. Even if he did not want to trust her cousin he would trust her. But that was not going to happen, so he crushed his misgivings and left.

Some of his bitterness must have shown on his face because the servant girl looked quite scared when he got back. He shot her a wry grin, "Can you show me out?" She nodded and led him, not speaking a word to disturb his thoughts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users