The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Bits of Code

• You cannot reply to this topic
No replies to this topic

#1 Haelbarde

Acolyte

Posted 25 September 2014 - 02:15 PM

Thought I may as well share what I programmed.

Currently, the pairing/ship generator - [found here] stores all the names like this:
var femaleGiven = new Array(
"Adala",
"Adalae",

var femaleSur = new Array(
"Venture",
"Lekal",

var femaleAge = new Array(
"23",
"17",

There is then the equivalent for the guys. So two pairs of 3 lists, with the information relevant to any one person spread over three lists, kept in line by the position in any one list. It works, but is sorta messy. When each list has 20-30 entries, it can be hard to keep track of where something is, particularly with the ages, as all you have is a list of numbers.

In my rewrite, I instead made each person an object, so looking something like this:

var adalaeLekal = ["Adalae", "Lekal", 17];
var adalaideGetrue = ["Adalaide", "Getrue", 24];

As you can see, at lot easier to read. This way, all you need to do is add an extra line look like the above, and then add the first bit to another list used to sort/search/pick the names.

So for instance, if I wanted to add my character Jos to the list, all I'd need to do is add the line:
var josuaGetrue = ["Josua", "Getrue", 19];
and then add the term "josuaGetrue" to the maleNames list, which looks something like:
var maleNames = [aaronElariel, adolphusLekal, ..., josuaGetrue];

The benefit of the new method is that it makes it easier to add and remove names from the pool. All the relevant information about a person is stored all in the same place. In the previous system, to remove a name, you'd find their first name in the GivenName list, note its position, count that many down in the Surname list (unless its a one of a kind, then you could just jump straight to it), and then you'd need to count down to the right position in the relevant age list (again, unless its an outlier, say in the 30+ range). In comparison, all you would need to do is remove the name from the femNames or maleNames array, or if you wanted to be tidy, also remove the relevant info (ie, the var josuaGetrue = ["Josua", "Getrue", 19]; ) line.

The other bit of programming was the 'Random Encounter Generator'.

What I wanted was something that would grab two names, come up with a random meeting place and something would randomly happen at this meeting place. How this'd work is quite similar to the Ship Generator, but more lists (well, more than my refined version).

So, I bascially wanted something that would look like this:
[Time], [Name 1] [Meeting verb] [Name 2] [Location] when suddenly [Something Surpising]

So for example:
One day, Zella Calomine met with Leroy Valcier at the markets when suddenly a hat fell out of the sky.

I already had two lists of names typed out from the Ship Generator, so I could just grab those. I was more interested in getting something working, so I ignored the surpising thing, which just left me with three lists: [time], [meeting], [place].

I just threw some random bits of text in to arrays with those titles. For example, the first entry has the following options:

var time = [
			"One fine morning ",
			"During twilight ",
			"On the hottest day of summer ",
			"In the dead of night ", "One evening "
			];

After renaming a bunch of things but bascially using the same page as the Ship Generator (plus discovering it doesn't like "location" being used as a variable/array, hence I used place), I got it work. So now, in a similar manner to how the Ship Generator generates matchups, it generates sentences like the following:
  • One evening Kaled Valoren fell over Lucille Deveaux in the Keep Venture
  • During twilight Aldwin Tekiel sneezed all over Lucille Deveaux in a boat
  • On the hottest day of summer Wilor Zerrung fell over Lorena Elariel in the mists
  • In the dead of night Adolphus Lekal fell over Daerra Elariel at a ball
Lovely nonsensical randomness!

Edited by Haelbarde, 26 September 2014 - 01:40 AM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users