The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Who are you really, Wanderer?

Private -5months Lysette Hasting. Jasun Vallace

41 replies to this topic

#21 Lysette Hasting

Tineye
  • Age19

• Relationship StatusSecretly Engaged

• OriginLansing City

• Allomantic StatusHidden

Posted 11 October 2014 - 05:15 AM

Jasun didn't move an inch when Lysette launched herself at him. Even after all the posturing. He stood still, let her tackle him and didn't even wince when her dagger pressed against his throat.

So why was it so hard to just kill him? It wasn't as if he meant anything to her. He was just the idiot she was triyng to teach to defend himself.

She stared straight into his eyes, searching for an answer. Searching for anything that might help her understand why he was so .... different. She had never had trouble killing someone who was so obviously a threat to her.

She pressed the dagger against his throat slightly harder, but not enough to break the skin. In the next few moments she realized she couldn't kill him. He had obviously realized it, too. His smile looked strained, forced... but it showed her that they both knew what would happen next.

She didn't realize she had been holding her breath until he spoke. What did she intend to do about it. Why would he tell her he's a conman if he intended to use the information he got from her to any benefit?

She let her arm relax and pulled the knife away from his throat.

#22 Jasun Vallace

• Fallen Noble

Prelan
  • Age30

• Relationship StatusSecretly Engaged to Lysette Hasting

• OriginKlessium

Posted 11 October 2014 - 05:30 AM

Jasun had been breathing shallowly, as if that would keep his neck from getting any closer to the dagger, and inhaled deeply when she pulled it away. He leaned away from her, his head resting against the hard surface of the rooftop and closed his eyes. Taking another deep, calming breath as his fear slowly drained away, leaving him feeling exhausted.

"Thank you." He said, his eyes still closed, perfectly sincere, "I don't think I would look good with a slit throat. Too much blood." He opened his eyes and smiled at her, keeping any hint of suggestiveness out of his expression. He knew if he said what he was about to say with even the slightest bit of suggestiveness she could very well stab him. Somewhere non-vital perhaps, but still perfectly painful. "If you would be so kind as to get off me? Not that I really WANT you to, of course. But I figured you might just not have noticed..." He grinned wider, putting his hands behind his head to cushion it and keep them out of trouble.

#23 Lysette Hasting

Tineye
  • Age19

• OriginLansing City

Posted 11 October 2014 - 05:44 AM

Lysette let the knife slide back into its sheath, and looked at Jasun for a moment before he spoke. She was in trouble. Serious trouble. Lysette let feelings interfere with her duty. She was supposed to kill him because that was what Mistborn did. They killed each other for the sake of their own house.

Her eyes narrowed when he asked her to get off of him. They were closer than they ever had been and it made Lysette... nervous. She rolled to the side, laying on the rooftop next to him, but a few feet away and stared at the night sky. All she saw were mists.

"Why?" she asked, finally. "You didn't run..."

#24 Jasun Vallace

• Fallen Noble

Prelan
  • Age30

• OriginKlessium

Posted 11 October 2014 - 05:52 AM

Jasun was quiet a while after she spoke, determinedly not looking at her. He hadn't expected her to lay down near him. He'd figured she would stand up and look down at him coldly or something. Not... this. She was so close, if he reached out an arm he could touch her cheek. He leaned his head harder against his hands, trapping them more firmly.

"Well..." He said, turning his head slightly to look at her, "I'm not exactly sure? I mean, I have a few reasons for it, like the fact that you would have probably caught me, but..." He shrugged, even though she couldn't see it, "I was just pretty damn sure you wouldn't kill me."

#25 Lysette Hasting

Tineye
  • Age19

• OriginLansing City

Posted 11 October 2014 - 06:05 AM

Lysette turned her head to look at Jasun laying beside her. Her breathing returned to normal, but she was still tense. She was still confused. She wanted to ask a thousand questions all at once, but she couldn't put half of them into words.

"That makes one of us," she said, taking a deep breath. She still had no idea why she hadn't killed him. He was becoming a friend, but how could she trust him? Even if he did let her tackle him and put a knife to his throat on the basis that he was sure she wouldn't kill him.

If she was listening to what her mind was telling her, she could never trust him. She still couldn't kill him, but she couldn't trust him either.

She wanted to ask about his family, about how he lived in detail since then, and lastly she wanted to know what he was doing in Luthadel now. What was his big scheme to get rich? Was that all it was about?

Where could she start?

"Are you currently... working in Luthadel?" she asked, still looking at him while the rest of her body was flat on the rooftop.

#26 Jasun Vallace

• Fallen Noble

Prelan
  • Age30

• OriginKlessium

Posted 11 October 2014 - 06:13 AM

That was a really random question, all things considered, and Jasun chuckled, ignoring the more ominous statement preceding it. "We pulled of a job a month ago, it's exhausting to do one job right after another, and anyway whenever we get a good haul a good number of my guys "retire"," his hands came up to make air quotes before returning back under his head, "which basically means they go do jackshit but spend all the money they made on booze and women before coming crawling back, so I've still got another few weeks before I have to start planning the next job, so basically, to answer your question, at this particular moment I am not working, but I will be in a month, month and a half."

#27 Lysette Hasting

Tineye
  • Age19

• OriginLansing City

Posted 11 October 2014 - 06:23 AM

Lysette didn't know what to think about his answer. At least he wasn't currently conning (is that what it was called?) anyone. Lysette was so lost. She hadn't ever actually met anyone who was a criminal.

She had spent the last nine years training in a city full of skaa and criminals and she had never really laid eyes on one. She wasn't supposed to get rid of them, she was supposed to get rid of her house's enemies. She didn't bother herself with right or wrong about it.

What made him be a criminal in the first place? She wanted to ask all of these questions, but she couldn't decide on a particular order.

After a moment of silence she chuckled at herself and shook her head. "I could think of a hundred questions to ask you, but I can't seem to get any of them to come in order or say them out loud."

She finally sat up and crossed her legs, sitting in the position most comfortable for long periods of time. She watched him in the dark for a moment, burning tin to see him better.

"Would it be awful of me to ask how it happened?" she asked. "Your family, I mean."

#28 Jasun Vallace

• Fallen Noble

Prelan
  • Age30

• OriginKlessium

Posted 11 October 2014 - 06:41 AM

He lapsed into silence again at her questions, not quite sure how to answer. It was not that he minded speaking about his family, any grief he felt for them has been long dulled by time, but didn't that make HIM awful?

"I'm not sure." He said eventually, "I haven't told anyone else who I was, so I can't really tell you if that's a mean question. But..." He trailed off and shrugged, smiling, he hadn't bothered to sit up, "It seems rather reasonable. It's just rather hard to answer, you must understand. I was ten, and honestly finding out what happened to them seemed much less important than surviving."

He licked his lips, and his words were slow and halting, not due to any sort of reluctance, but rather because he had to wrack his brain to make sure he was telling the truth as he knew it. It had been so long since he thought about his family, "I was snapped when I was eight, I was actually Lord Vallace's son. His second son, my brother was heir. Everyone was really, really happy that I was Mistborn..." He sighed slightly, "I am rather sure that is why my House fell, actually. Amusing, isn't it, that a House would fall because a Mistborn was born into it?" His voice held a hint of wry amusement, "I think they did something stupid, betrayed the wrong houses, banking on me to be able to kill them a path to prosperity, once I was old enough."

"I was having a lesson in steel when my teacher attempted to murder me. He did a pretty good job, I ended up in the river with eight coins stuck in me. But pewter is a wonderful thing, and I got out and limped my way home and..." He closed his eyes, and the image of his home's destroyed, smoldering ruins was as sharp and clear in his mind's eye as the night he had first seen it, "They'd set fire to it. I saw a bunch of bodies near the entrance, where people had tried to flee, and I knew I had to get the hell out of there before someone came and killed me. So I left, and never really looked back."

#29 Lysette Hasting

Tineye
  • Age19

• OriginLansing City

Posted 11 October 2014 - 07:12 AM

Lysette listened intently to his story, trying to make sure she didn't interrupt, afraid she might scare the story away. She was still surprised that she was getting honest answers from him... as far as she could tell. When she thought about it, he had always given her straight answers. He had never given her a reason to doubt what he was saying to her. He had never lied to her... but why?

When he had finished, as horrible as the story was, she believed it. She had never heard something so awful before... and she thought that having a tough trainer was bad. At least he didn't try to actually kill her. With enough pewter and determination it was easy enough to get out of any situation. She wondered what happened next, but she realized she should probably say something.

What could she say? He knew his life had been hard, he was the one living it. She couldn't offer condolences on the family he had long-since grieved for. How did anyone respond to a tragedy? Lysette didn't want to give him the platitudes. She wanted something real but it was harder than it seemed to come up with something to say.

"It is very impressive that you did survive, against the odds," she said. It didn't seem like enough. "Where did you go from there?"

She paused for a minute, but didn't let him answer right away. "I don't mean to pry. I just... I'm curious, that's all. It... It's not every day I realize my new friend is a fallen noble and a con man... but you don't have to answer my questions if you don't want to." She said, immediately doubting herself. She should have just asked the question and then shut her mouth. She pulled her knees up to her chest and wrapped her arms around them instinctively trying to make herself look smaller.

#30 Jasun Vallace

• Fallen Noble

Prelan
  • Age30

• OriginKlessium

Posted 11 October 2014 - 07:36 AM

Jasun watched her quietly, and could not keep himself from smiling when she actually called him a friend. Slowly and smoothly, his movements slightly exaggerated so it would be quite clear what he was doing, he sat up and reached over to her, laying a hand gently on her shoulder and squeezing once before pulling back and sitting cross legged.

"I have always known my circumstances are rather unique. Even a bit fanciful." He said, an easy smile on his lips, "I'd think anyone would be curious, and if I didn't want to answer, I wouldn't. Don't worry."

"As to what happened after that, well..." He looked a little embarrassed, "I was a beggar. Until I Rioted a Seeker who was also a crewleader and he took me in. He thought I was a Misting and I never corrected him." Jasun shrugged, "I stayed there and learned all sorts of field craft for making other people's wealth mine, and then I had to run because I Rioted an obligator."

He actually blushed a little bit at that memory, god, he'd been so stupid! "In my defense, I was sixteen, not really at the age of making good decisions yet." He shrugged again, "After that I went to another city and posed as a different Misting. When I got bored of being a Thug I moved on, and I've pretty much spent the last ten years pretending to be one Misting or another, and moving to a new city every time I switched. I didn't HAVE to, really, but I hate having to pose as one Misting type for too long. I cheat constantly, of course but it's still annoying."

He smiled at her gently, putting his hands flat on the roof behind him and leaning back, perfectly at ease, "Is there anything else you want to know? Or is it my turn to ask questions." The last sentence wasn't a statement, but neither was it a question. It just hovered uncertainly between the two, not really sure where it stood.

#31 Lysette Hasting

Tineye
  • Age19

• OriginLansing City

Posted 11 October 2014 - 06:39 PM

Lysette relaxed at his touch. It reassured her that she wasn't being stupid, at least. She let her legs relax back to the roof and sat cross legged again, facing him. They had rarely done anything other than spar since they met, and but at least now Lysette actually felt like they were actually opening up. At least he was. He wasn't as much of an enigma anymore, he felt tangible, real. She hadn't been dancing with mist ghosts for a month... he was a real person.

Lysette wondered what it would be like to pose as a Misting. That would be incredibly boring. She wouldn't be able to do it... At least, she wouldn't feel comfortable if the misting she was posing as wasn't a Smoker. She couldn't drop her coppercloud, that would expose too much of her.

She didn't realize that he might have questions for her. She just assumed he would know everything he needed to know when she told him her actual name.

"I don't mind answering questions... I think you've answered most of mine," She said, still not really looking at him, but rather at the rooftop between them.

#32 Jasun Vallace

• Fallen Noble

Prelan
  • Age30

• OriginKlessium

Posted 11 October 2014 - 07:15 PM

He hummed softly in thought once she said he could ask questions, trying to figure out what he wanted to ask her. He found he ended up with the same problem as her, he had a hundred questions, wanting to know what it was like to be a proper Mistborn, a proper noble, what it was like to be in a Great House, but they were all so vague and open ended. It would be difficult to answer. After all it was basically just saying 'What's it like being you?' and how was one supposed to answer that? Eventually his mind fell on one question he'd wanted to ask her for a month, and another that he realized was just as important and nagging.

"Well... I suppose I just have two questions, at least two I can put into words." He leaned off his hands, towards her, putting his palms on his knees, "What were you doing, the night we met? I mean... I burn bronze quite a lot and the only time I ever heard your Allomancy was then..." He trailed off, licking suddenly dry lips, "And why... why didn't you kill me, when we first met. When you knew you could?"

#33 Lysette Hasting

Tineye
  • Age19

• OriginLansing City

Posted 11 October 2014 - 08:56 PM

The questions he asked were good ones, but Lysette still couldn't answer them right away. She tilted her head to the side and chewed on the iside of her lip. It was a difficult thing to put into words, but she would try. She had spent so long alone, she just wanted to see what it was like to fight another Mistborn... but not only to fight.

She shrugged her shoulders. The first question was easy to answer. "I... I was luring," she said. "I used to do it all the time. I'd drop my coppercloud and burn steel, just to see if anyone would come play. I never fight anyone except those that know I'm a Mistborn... I wanted some training against an unaware opponent."

She grinned. "It worked."

There was a pause though. To answer the second question she would leave herself far more vulnerable than the first. She started to speak again once, but ended up just closing her mouth again. After another moment, she tried again.

"I don't really know the answer to that one," she said.

"How comforting." Jasun said.

She shot him a look to tell him she wasn't done yet. She was still trying to figure out what she really wanted to say.

She traced designs into the ash on the rooftop with her finger and continued.

"I'm ... lonely." she said finally. "I have always wanted... someone else who understood." She shrugged her shoulders. "To everyone else I'm a tool, but to another Mistborn..."

She hoped that made sense. "I wanted to test you at first, I wanted to know if you were a Mistborn and then I wanted to know what it was like to have someone I didn't have to hide from."

#34 Jasun Vallace

• Fallen Noble

Prelan
  • Age30

• OriginKlessium

Posted 11 October 2014 - 09:32 PM

For a second, just a moment, he wanted to close the distance between them and hug her. Not because he wanted anything in return, but rather because she looked so very sad, so very in need of a hug. However, he doubted touching her like that would give her any measure of comfort. She'd probably react... poorly. The kind of poorly that ended up with him getting stitches, so he remained where he was.

"So..." Jasun said, trying to lighten the mood, "You wanted a friend... but went about it in the way that you were bound to get the seediest person possible?" He grinned, it seemed very unlike her to do something so reckless. He thought about it a moment and it made him realize something very sad, "You must have wanted one desperately, then." Very, very desperately.

He felt at a loss, then. He did wish to be her friend, he knew that much. But he did not know if he was the friend she needed. Surely a proper Mistborn would be better, someone who truly understood what it was like. "I-I don't know if I am the right person." He said softly, looking down at his hands, "I am Mistborn, yes... but I do not know what it is like to be an assassin. I never got the chance to be, and once I had the option not to I took it eagerly."

He finally looked up at her, "I can understand some things, of course but... not everything. I'm sorry." He reached out again, his movements once more smooth and obvious, and gently laid his hand over hers where it drew designs in the ash. He didn't try to wrap his hand around hers, he just let it rest there and looked at her, "Still, I would be happy to be your friend, if you'll have me anyway. I am rather in short supply of those." A more familiar grin reached his mouth and he left his hand where it was for the moment, waiting for her answer before retreating.

#35 Lysette Hasting

Tineye
  • Age19

• OriginLansing City

Posted 11 October 2014 - 10:04 PM

Lysette smiled, realizing that he was right. She had gone about finding a friend in a strange way, but it brought her someone in the end. Someone that she actually enjoyed spending time with. She had been desperate and alone. She had spent the better part of her life learning to be a killer with only one actual friend to speak of. She couldn't tell anyone else outside of the family what she was... and most of them stayed away from her when they found out anyway.

Lysette watched him put his hand on top of hers, and unlike every other time he had touched her, she didn't pull away. It would seem too much like she was rejecting his offer of friendship. It was already very apparent that Lysette would have to get used to being touched. He had comforted her by touching her shoulder and her hand just then. He was far more physical than Lysette ever was unless she was fighting.

"You may not have been trained the same way I was, but... you know what it's like to hide." Lysette shrugged. "I have just hidden in plain sight my entire life. It feels lonely."

She smiled at him. "I wouldn't keep coming back here if I didn't want you as a friend, criminal or no." She did pull her hand away then.

"Plus, if I don't teach you to defend yourself, I'll have one less friend to spend time with..."

#36 Jasun Vallace

• Fallen Noble

Prelan
  • Age30

• OriginKlessium

Posted 11 October 2014 - 10:21 PM

His grin faded into a thoughtful smile, "That is true. Although I suppose I do a bit more hiding then you, eh?" His smile turned somewhat bitter, "You are officially the only person alive who knows who I actually am. But hiding in plain sight seems just as bad, I would think. Since people are so close, but you can't reach any of them, hmm?"

When she pulled her hand away he merely withdrew his as well, the fact she hadn't pulled away at once was victory enough, in his eyes. He bit his lip when she said "criminal or no" to stifle a retort. After all, did she have much room to talk, being an assassin? But still, she had accepted his friendship, so he decided not to sour the sweet moment with his annoyance.

"You don't have to worry about me, although I do welcome your help," He assured her at what she said next, "Just because I have not gotten the same training as you doesn't mean I can't protect myself from people with similar training and several less metals than myself. And I stay out of the way of noble Allomancers whenever I can." He chuckled, but it was humorless, "I have avoided the Great Houses like the plague," After all they had a delightful habit of utterly annihilating crews. All noble houses did, but Great Houses were the best at it, "How else do you think I wasn't able to recognize you?"

#37 Lysette Hasting

Tineye
  • Age19

• OriginLansing City

Posted 11 October 2014 - 10:31 PM

Lysette smirked. "So my disguise wouldn't have been good enough?" she asked. Though he had pulled her hat off the first night and realized that she wasn't a young boy but a girl. She liked the disguise. She felt more confident knowing that no one knew who she was. She was glad he hadn't asked about her disguise. She didn't want to have to explain the way she dressed -- and the answer seemed perfectly obvious. She wanted to obscure her identity as much as possible.

"Avoiding the Great Houses seems to be a good idea for people in your line of work... I can't imagine them leaving many thiefs intact. They send people like me to get rid of them if they're bold enough to try to steal from them." She shrugged her shoulders. That was just a fact of life. Take from someone infinitely more powerful than you and you would face their wrath.

She shrugged. "It's still better to be trained... You can't just get lucky all the time."

#38 Jasun Vallace

• Fallen Noble

Prelan
  • Age30

• OriginKlessium

Posted 11 October 2014 - 10:46 PM

"It might have been enough, after all it's not like I would ever have been able to pretend to be high enough ranking to get as close to you as I am now," He said easily, talking about physical closeness rather than emotional, "But I'd like to think I would have been able to tell, at least."

He frowned at the last thing she said however, not really sure what to say. After all it was a rather silly thing to say in his opinion. "You think I have survived this long due to luck alone?" He asked, genuinely curious, "Do you really think that I could have done that? A few years, perhaps... but twenty?" He shook his head, "You do not always have to be good at fighting to protect yourself. As I said, zinc and brass have always come easily to me, I am quite well trained in their use."

He grinned, "I can will people from attacking me, make them give me their wealth, turn them against their allies." His grin became somewhat forced, "And no doubt that is making you flare copper all the brighter, but I have never tried to use it on you. Nor will I, unless you wish me to." Jasun shrugged helplessly, "It doesn't really matter if you believe me, of course. You can just burn copper and be assured that I'm doing nothing to you."

"What I'm trying to say," He said finally, "Is that no matter how poor a fighter I am in comparison you you, I am not helpless. It would be nice if you could see that."

#39 Lysette Hasting

Tineye
  • Age19

• OriginLansing City

Posted 12 October 2014 - 12:08 AM

Lysette hadn't meant to make him sound helpless. Of course he could use other metals to protect himself, but it was always good to be prepared, right? She realized that she would never be the best Mistborn, but at least she was better than her opponents most of the time. She would eventually come up against an enemy that was better prepared and Lysette was terrified for that day. She spend her afternoons training so that she would lower that margin considerably.

She was glad he had never tried to use zinc or brass on her, but she had only let her coppercloud down once around him. She found herself believing that he had never tried. She was obsessively tied to her coppercloud when she was with everyone, which didn't mean anything against him. It was natural for her to keep it up.

"I know you're not helpless... I mean you've lived this long..." She couldn't look at him. "I just don't want you to get hurt, that's all. Increase the chances of survival by teaching you what I know. Where's the harm in being more prepared in case it did come down to a fight?"

#40 Jasun Vallace

• Fallen Noble

Prelan
  • Age30

• OriginKlessium

Posted 12 October 2014 - 12:21 AM

"Of course, of course. Just so long as you do not think that I am..." He tried to find the right word and failed, "helpless, I am fine, and of course I agree with you. I am certainly not going to turn down an opportunity to get stronger. Thank you for worrying about me." Before she could think of something to say to that, to brush him off and pretend she wasn't concerned, he stood up and offered her his hand again to help her up.

"But on the topic of our lessons... I think we have talked for a while, don't you?" He smiled, and self deprecation colored his words as he continued, "I think it is time for you to hand me my ass repeatedly and call it teaching. Right?"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users