Jump to content


The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy





Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Throwing Down the Gauntlet

W2 D4 EM

9 replies to this topic

#1 Gervais Lekal


  • A monkey's uncle

243
Pewterarm
  • Age36

  • Relationship StatusSingle

  • OriginLuthadel

  • Allomantic StatusHidden

Posted 22 December 2014 - 02:47 AM

The creature, and the problem she presented, had continued to occupy Gervais' mind all too frequently. While he had decided he wanted nothing more to do with her, he found himself picking apart their interactions, trying to determine where he had gone wrong, in the hopes that understanding it would end this irritating ascendancy that she had gained. It was a challenge that he had not solved. That was why it troubled him, and once he had resolved it, it would no longer be the stone in his shoe that he could not ignore.

Unfortunately there was no easily conceived methodology. She had not displayed any obvious weak points and he did not know enough about her to research her personal history. He did not even know her name. She was a Deveaux, judging by her features and the carriage she had ridden in, but that was not enough to go on. The only way to proceed was to deliberately seek her out. Avoidance was not enough. It would continue to fester in his mind otherwise, but with time, he could find the key.

So it was that he returned to the library to lurk there with the express purpose of intercepting the creature.

Edited by Borborygmus, 22 December 2014 - 02:48 AM.


#2 Lucille Deveaux

482
House Hasting
  • Age17

  • Relationship StatusSingle

  • OriginUrteau

  • Allomantic StatusOpen

Posted 22 December 2014 - 03:12 AM

Luci had had a marvelous night at the Perraults' ball the previous evening, dancing and talking and laughing with old friends and new, but unfortunately, she had also lost track of time, staying out far too late for someone who had to be at the library first thing in the morning.

First thing indeed, she thought with a yawn as she shuffled into the philosophy section, her usual selection of books and folders and papers in tow. She would have preferred to sleep in this morning, but if she was to meet the submission deadline in time, she couldn't afford to slack off.

Besides, Gervais Lekal would be lurking around here somewhere, and she couldn't dare let it seem like she was avoiding him. Not after she'd finally managed to gain some ground in the bizarre war that had broken out between them. She was certain that he would be here, and just as certain that if she wasn't, then any advantage she had gained the other day would be forfeit.

Sure enough, there he was. First bloody thing in the bloody morning, looking as serenely displeased - and enviably well-rested - as ever. It made her want to punch something.

But no, that was just the sleepiness talking, she couldn't let a lack of sleep get under her skin before Lord Gervais even had a chance to try, or she'd lost already. And so she forced herself to smile as cheerfully as ever as she greeted him with half a song in her voice.

"Good morning. I trust my package was safely delivered?"

Posted Image


#3 Gervais Lekal


  • A monkey's uncle

243
Pewterarm
  • Age36

  • Relationship StatusSingle

  • OriginLuthadel

  • Allomantic StatusHidden

Posted 01 February 2015 - 08:14 PM

Gervais found it difficult to concentrate on his usual pursuits; though he picked up a book in order to maintain the appearance of unconcern, he was primarily watching and listening for a white dress or the irritating timbre of her chirpily, insufferably cheerful voice. He was not left waiting over-long... before more than about fifteen minutes had passed by his watch, there she was, almost humming a happy 'good morning' as she proceeded to gloat. She was very pleased with herself, was she? She thought she had won. Well, he would find a way into her home territory. Gervais' jaw set.

He glanced up from his pages as if he had only just noticed her presence intruding, rather than tracking her progress from the moment she set foot inside the library door. Despite her perky singsong attitude, she had shadows under faintly red-rimmed eyes. Oh, so the creature had made a late night of it? He supposed she had been out cavorting at one ball or another; that was what everyone did.

"You look a little the worse for wear," he remarked in a disinterested tone, and looked down at the page again. "I'm afraid I don't know what you're talking about."


#4 Lucille Deveaux

482
House Hasting
  • Age17

  • Relationship StatusSingle

  • OriginUrteau

  • Allomantic StatusOpen

Posted 02 February 2015 - 12:38 AM

Lord Gervais casually glanced up at Luci as if he'd only just noticed her presence. Whether or not that was true, though, he was obviously taking the same approach of vague disinterest that she had tried with him earlier. Well, two could play at that game. Of course she knew that the package had been safely delivered; she'd had the servant confirm it to her. Not that she'd admit it out loud, of course; it was strange enough that she'd followed him home. Lord Ruler, what had she been thinking?

Well, too late to do anything about it now. If he wanted to pretend he'd never received the delivery, then let him. She was too tired to put up with his nonsense anyway. So she would just play along.

"Oh?" she asked serenely. "That's too bad. You're missing out."

That said, she selected a book of the shelf, walked right past him without another word, and sat down in her favorite spot to read.

Posted Image


#5 Gervais Lekal


  • A monkey's uncle

243
Pewterarm
  • Age36

  • Relationship StatusSingle

  • OriginLuthadel

  • Allomantic StatusHidden

Posted 07 February 2015 - 11:15 PM

Her tactic today was to attempt to ignore him. She was not going to succeed. Gervais' eyes flicked sideways from his book to where she had seated herself not far away. The thrice cursed package was not a subject of which further discussion could be borne.

Except that perhaps it was, now that he thought of it. He had missed an opportunity to turn the action into something that would make her uncomfortable. It occurred to him that he might needle her about having followed him... transform what had undoubtedly been an attack of sorts into... a-ha! It was more amusing still given that it was a twisted version of what she liked to do in pretending that his annotations had been a mark of favor or friendship.

Had he locked himself out of returning to the matter completely, in denying receipt of the manuscript? Could he backtrack in some fashion without admitting the lie? "The servants did tell me that a young woman arrived at the Keep the other evening," he said lazily, giving a few moments' pause after this, as if in thought.

"Why..." Gervais then said as if only just arriving at this conclusion and perfectly surprised, "you don't mean to say that was you, my dear? Do you often make a habit of following people home? Or am I simply that special?"

Edited by Borborygmus, 07 February 2015 - 11:15 PM.


#6 Lucille Deveaux

482
House Hasting
  • Age17

  • Relationship StatusSingle

  • OriginUrteau

  • Allomantic StatusOpen

Posted 07 February 2015 - 11:23 PM

Luci blinked up, genuinely startled out of her reading by Lord Gervais's sudden return to the conversation. Had she actually been so engrossed in her attempt to make it look like she was ignoring him that she had actually started ignoring him? Well, a good book did have that effect on her. Ah well, it made the performance that much more convincing.

And, she noticed triumphantly, he was returning to the subject of the package. Ha! Couldn't let it drop, could you? The sound of him calling her "my dear" was rather odd, but she was sure not to let it appear that he unsettled her. On the contrary, she smiled as sweetly as she could.

"Well of course you're that special!" she said happily. "You are, after all, my most trusted and valued editor. I simply could not in good conscience allow myself to miss the opportunity of returning the service you have done me."

Posted Image


#7 Gervais Lekal


  • A monkey's uncle

243
Pewterarm
  • Age36

  • Relationship StatusSingle

  • OriginLuthadel

  • Allomantic StatusHidden

Posted 08 February 2015 - 12:02 AM

All that got out of her was a smile and an assertion of gratitude and good fellowship. Gervais' lower eyelids rose into a slitted expression of malevolence that he carefully did not raise from the page. What now to say? Insults, insinuations, and sarcasm had all already failed to rouse anything. It was like trying to punch at a quagmire. His attacks simply sunk in and then he found it difficult to extract himself.

Saying nothing could not be allowed. Anything would do in the interim, "Your expression of regard is so heartwarming. I hardly know what to say."


#8 Lucille Deveaux

482
House Hasting
  • Age17

  • Relationship StatusSingle

  • OriginUrteau

  • Allomantic StatusOpen

Posted 08 February 2015 - 12:13 AM

Excellent. She had him at the end of his rope, or he wouldn't be grasping like this just to fill the silence. Had enough yet? she wondered. Going to stop bullying strangers for no reason?

"Think nothing of it," she said sweetly, pretending to return to her reading. "I'm merely glad to know I was able to return the favor, and learn my benefactor's name in the process."

Posted Image


#9 Gervais Lekal


  • A monkey's uncle

243
Pewterarm
  • Age36

  • Relationship StatusSingle

  • OriginLuthadel

  • Allomantic StatusHidden

Posted 08 February 2015 - 12:20 AM

He shut his book with a snap and sprang out of his seat. By the Lord Ruler he would break through that facade of hers! No matter what it required, he would. "I am unable to think nothing of it," he pronounced, "why, I do not know your name indeed. You must grant me the everlasting pleasure of hearing it."


#10 Lucille Deveaux

482
House Hasting
  • Age17

  • Relationship StatusSingle

  • OriginUrteau

  • Allomantic StatusOpen

Posted 08 February 2015 - 12:50 AM

"Oh?" Luci asked. She attempted an innocent smile, but it ended up more as a mischievous smirk. "Here I went to all this trouble to find out your name, and I'm expected to just give you mine?" Wait, did that mean she was scolding him for not stalking her? Maybe that wasn't the best idea.

"But since you asked in such a gentlemanly way," she continued before he could point out that little error, "perhaps I can oblige. My name is Lucille Deveaux. A pleasure, Lord Gervais."

Posted Image






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users