The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Dapper Dueling

Private W2 D2 LA Adrianne Entrone Tristand Entrone

19 replies to this topic

#1 Adrianne Entrone

• Lady Entrone

House Hasting
  • Age25

• Relationship StatusMarried to Tristand Entrone

• OriginKlessium

Posted 22 December 2014 - 05:50 AM

Adrianne Entrone sat rather impatiently just outside her dressing room, waiting for her husband to finish primping. She had told him, of course, to take extra care with how he presented himself tonight - it was, after all, their first ball in Luthadel, and they needed to make a suitable impression.

Of course, this was Tristand; he'd probably interpreted her instruction as a request to look even less put-together than usual. But Adrianne was not afraid to duel her own husband right before a ball in order to force him to straighten his cravat for once, and to that end, she had elected to do her hair and makeup and then remain in her dressing gown until Tristand emerged from his dressing room. Hopefully, she wouldn't need to challenge him or his choices, and could happily go on to finish getting ready.

She could hope, but she wouldn't count on it. Hence the need for this elaborate dressing schedule in the first place.

Even Tristand couldn't take forever, though; he would have to finish eventually. Adrianne waited, watching with bated breath as the door finally opened to reveal...

Posted Image

#2 Tristand Entrone

VentureGuard1

Posted 24 December 2014 - 06:33 AM

Tristand had taken his usual time to get ready for a ball. This wasn't the first he and Adrianne were attending together, of course, but it would be the first one they attended in Luthadel. That mattered. Tristand took extra care when picking out his suit. He had about a dozen to choose from and most of them were relatively the same style, and color. The differences all seemed minute to onlookers, but there were very real and stark differences when Tristand looked at them all.

His outfit had to look effortless. Not the sort of ease of wear that most noblemen went for, but something that looked like Tristand didn't put any effort into it. This affected ennui with the social norm of being excited and looking well-pressed for balls was something that Tristand spent years cultivating. He was not about to give it up, especially because it seemed to get a rise out of Adrianne. That was, perhaps, the best part of his day.

He emerged from his dressing room, looking like he had slept in his suit. His hair did look a little more neat than usual, but he barely had time to dress in the hour or so he had spent in his dressing room. He didn't have time to tousel his hair to his satisfaction. He did a spin for Adrianne's approval or her look of disdain, whichever she was willing to give him this evening. Then he caught sight of her dressing gown.

"If I had known we were not dressing up for this event, I would have had fewer choices to make. We could be there now," Tristand said, making a very obvious point of eyeing his wife's dressing gown. She was not ready yet, ha! He beat her for once... except Tristand realized that she had done that on purpose. Her makeup and hair were finished. That meant that she was trying to mock him with how slowly he got dressed. He still took it as a victory. He was dressed and she was not, after all.

#3 Adrianne Entrone

• Lady Entrone

House Hasting
  • Age25

• OriginKlessium

Posted 01 January 2015 - 03:58 AM

"We could also be there now if you didn't take so long," Adrianne countered, looking Tristand up and down. She knew he wouldn't take offense at the comment; the difference in their dressing times was a long-standing joke between them already at this point. She had once threatened to fall asleep while he dressed, while he had compared her approach to turning a laundry basket upside-down over her head and hoping something fell on straight.

His choice of clothing, however, was a little more of a sensitive topic. While he hadn't said anything, she had the suspicion that her first comment on the subject had stung more than she meant it to, and while she had no intention to yield Entrone to anyone, she also had no desire to be needlessly hurtful to the man who, ironically, was her strongest ally. Still, something needed to be said.

"Are you sure you want to go with your usual choice, though?" she asked thoughtfully. "This is Luthadel, after all. We need to step it up, and being underestimated won't buy us any success here."

Posted Image

#4 Tristand Entrone

VentureGuard1

Posted 02 January 2015 - 04:57 AM

Tristand looked down at his clothing and shrugged his shoulders. "I am not sure what you're talking about. It took me a long time to pick this particular combination. I think it's perfectly suited for the evening."

He shrugged. "It is only a midweek ball, after all."

She did almost have a point, though. Tristand didn't really think they would get anything out of being underestimated. He was putting more effort in than he normally; how could she not see that? H had to put more effort in if he hoped to make a Great House connection during this midweek ball.

#5 Adrianne Entrone

• Lady Entrone

House Hasting
  • Age25

• OriginKlessium

Posted 02 January 2015 - 05:20 AM

Adrianne arched an incredulous eyebrow at Tristand, trying desperately not to choke on her own words. "Only a midweek ball?" she asked, just in case she hadn't heard her own husband right. "Tristand, this is our first ball ever in Luthadel, first of all, and second, we can't afford to treat any function as "just" anything until we've been here for a good deal longer. And I know you know that; you might be infuriating, but you're not stupid." She knew she was ceding two points to Tristand there, which she normally wouldn't dare consider, but if she was going to win the battle, she would gladly yield a couple minor skirmishes to make him feel better about himself.

Not that he would so easily yield an argument as fundamentally important as this one, though. His sartorial habits seemed inseparable from the core of his identity, for some reason; for all she knew, asking him to wear a pressed shirt for once in his life might well be tantamount to asking him to stop being, well, himself. Which meant, as she had predicted, that he wouldn't give it up without a fight. Literally.

"I think, however," she continued, "we both know where this is going to lead. So shall we skip all the fuss and go straight to the arena? If we make it a quick match, we can still arrive in plenty of time."

Posted Image

#6 Tristand Entrone

VentureGuard1

Posted 03 January 2015 - 03:48 AM

There was no other place that this argument could end. They would end up dueling and when Tristand won, he would get his way. Of course, he'd have to win. Adrianne was a very good duelist. She kept him on his toes since the first time he underestimated her.

"If that is the only way you will allow me to leave the house, then by all means." Tristand said, smiling. He did have to admit that enjoyed dueling with his wife.

"Lead on, my lady," Tristand made an open armed gesture toward the door, as if he were helping his wife into a carriage rather than telling her to lead the way to the arena.

#7 Adrianne Entrone

• Lady Entrone

House Hasting
  • Age25

• OriginKlessium

Posted 03 January 2015 - 04:37 AM

Adrianne grinned in excitement. She had all but won the battle; now all that was left to seal her victory with a win in the arena. Besides, dueling Tristand had become quite enjoyable - and not just because it was easier to solve disagreements this way.

At his request, she led the way to the arena, snatching up her favorite dueling cane from the rack by the wall as they entered the room. Time was of the essence, after all; she would somehow have to get them both out of the arena, into proper clothes, and to the ball. And she had no doubt that it would be her influence that would get them there on time.

Once she had taken her place in the arena, she fell into position and raised her cane with an eager grin.

"Ready when you are."

Posted Image

#8 Tristand Entrone

VentureGuard1

Posted 03 January 2015 - 04:49 AM

Tristand followed his wife to the arena, and removed the jacket he had so carefully thrown on just moments ago. He unbuttoned his sleeves and rolled them up. The shirt was already wrinkled anyway, so rolling the sleeves would not make much of a difference.

He loosened his cravat while he grabbed a dueling cane from the rack and then finally faced his wife to begin their duel.

He knew that time was of the essence, so he went with a more aggressive offensive strategy, and hopefully it would pay off... Because he did not want to have to change again.

#9 Adrianne Entrone

• Lady Entrone

House Hasting
  • Age25

• OriginKlessium

Posted 03 January 2015 - 05:02 AM

Either Tristand also knew what a time constraint they were working under, or he really didn't want to change, or both. He came at Adrianne with everything he had, likely intending to overwhelm her at the start and secure a fast victory.

But Adrianne was ready for him. She met his blows at first, then spun out of the way of his onslaught to begin an offense of her own. She could only hope that the sudden attack would throw him off balance and seal her own win.

Posted Image

#10 Tristand Entrone

VentureGuard1

Posted 03 January 2015 - 05:19 AM

Tristand thought he was doing well, and the duel would be over quickly it seemed. Adrianne met his blows and it seemed that he was getting the better of her, until she spun around and started an assault of her own.

Adrianne really didn't want him to dress in these clothes. He could see that. It irritated him that he almost wanted to change because he knew her reasoning was right. His irritation made him lose focus. That must have been how he let his guard down enough to hand her the victory so quickly.

Once she had won he heaved a sigh. "Looks like you get to choose my outfit for the evening." He said.

#11 Adrianne Entrone

• Lady Entrone

House Hasting
  • Age25

• OriginKlessium

Posted 03 January 2015 - 05:48 AM

Adrianne was very, very careful to keep her pleased grin within reasonable limits as she lowered her cane. If there was one thing that was more sacred than their dueling tradition, it was the unspoken code of good sportsmanship that surrounded it. Without that, their arguments would have just dissolved once more into bitter power struggles.

Besides, a smug winner was worse than a sore loser, and nobody liked either of those things.

"You look like I'm going to dress you in pink and orange," she quipped as she returned her dueling cane to the rack and led the way back up to the dressing rooms. "I won't embarrass you, I promise." She had actually just assumed that her victory meant Tristand would put on pressed clothes, but if he wanted to go so far as to let her choose the outfit itself, she would take it. It would probably be faster that way anyway.

Not surprisingly, the hardest part was finding something in Tristand's wardrobe that was properly pressed. She flicked through neatly folded stacks with expert fingers, eventually ferreting out the best-looking shirt and trousers she could find.

"Start with these," she instructed, "then let me back in when they're on. I'm going to change while you do that, and then I'll come back to take care of the rest."

And change she did. Almost faster than she had for that last-minute meeting with Tristand, no less. Of course, it helped that everything was laid out already; she just needed to put it all on. And so, only a short while later, she stepped out of her dressing-room in the dramatic red taffeta gown she had chosen for the occasion. It was of the classically stylized Klessium cut, which accented her figure nicely, and the deep, crisp fabric shimmered and rustled as she moved in a most satisfactory way. It was everything she had hoped it would be and more. Yes, this evening was most certainly proceeding exactly as she had expected.

She had not, however, expected to see Tristand lounging in his dressing room doorway, waiting for her.

Posted Image

#12 Tristand Entrone

VentureGuard1

Posted 03 January 2015 - 06:22 AM

Tristand allowed Adrianne to pick out his clothes, because of the honor code they had with their duels. That and she probably would pick something more suited for their first Luthadel ball anyway.

Once he had resigned himself to accepting those clothes, it did not take long for him to actually dress himself. The clothes were pressed and tidy. He put them on and tried not to wrinkle them on purpose. He tucked the shirt in and buttoned it quickly.

He waited for Adrianne to finish. It was probably the first time he was waiting for her. He didn't particularly like the feeling. It gave him more time to think of the letter his father sent that he had yet to open. He wondered what it said... but also didn't want to care. He wanted to ignore it.

When Adrianne came back, he was happy to put those thoughts aside.

"I wish I could say that I was done first and perhaps gloat about it just a little bit, but I'm not complete yet." he said. "I'm still missing two or three pieces."

#13 Adrianne Entrone

• Lady Entrone

House Hasting
  • Age25

• OriginKlessium

Posted 14 January 2015 - 05:36 AM

"I know you are," Adrianne said, "but I couldn't very well pick them out while you were in there changing." Never mind the fact that most married couples would consider such a thing perfectly normal. But then, most married people did plenty of other things that Adrianne and Tristand had wordlessly agreed to avoid for the time being, though Adrianne preferred not to think about it.

"Now then," she continued, "would you prefer to match, or coordinate?" Without waiting for an answer, she swept back into his dressing-room and picked out two vests: one was the same red as her dress, while the other was a nice silver brocade. Each got paired with a coordinating cravat, and then each set was handed over to Tristand.

"Choose one of these sets and put it on. Don't mix and match." That said, she returned to her own dressing room, leaving the door open this time, so she could finish putting on her jewelry.

Posted Image

#14 Tristand Entrone

VentureGuard1

Posted 01 February 2015 - 06:33 AM

Match or coordinate.

Those two words weren't really in his vocabulary. They meant less than nothing to him. he looked at the two choices she gave him and when he looked up from them to say something, she had already gone back to ther own dressing room.

He considered for only a moment mixing the two sets together. He had lost the quick duel they had, however. That meant she got to pick his outfit. Which meant he had to listen to her when she said not to mix and match, as much as it pained him.

He decided to go with the matching option and fiddled with the painted buttons on the red vest. He tossed the gray set aside and put on the vest.

The vest was the easy part. Tristand had never actually learned how to tie a cravat.

He would never admit that, of course. Instead, he just tied it sloppily, and made that part of his sloppy dress. It worked most of the time. There were a few meetings with people (who hadn't mattered much to remember) that he simply didn't wear it tied. It hung loosely around his neck and it didn't seem to detract from his look at all.

What was the point of a cravat anyway? He left his dressing room and messed with the cravat while looking in a full-length mirror. He tied and retied it, before he simply gave up and let it hang messily around his neck while he waited for Adrianne.

#15 Adrianne Entrone

• Lady Entrone

House Hasting
  • Age25

• OriginKlessium

Posted 09 February 2015 - 02:18 AM

It didn't take Adrianne long at all to finish her preparations at this point. All she needed were her earrings and a long strand of pearls, looped around her neck several times, and she was done. The display was, of course, to show off Entrone's wealth and power - since pearls were both exceedingly rare and noticeably lacking in metal, they were quite expensive. This strand had likely cost a small fortune when it was new; having been passed down a couple generations, who knew how much it was worth now? Surely it would attract the attention of any number of suitable business partners. Perhaps even someone from a Great House?

She returned to Tristand expecting to find him ready to go, but instead he was standing in front of the mirror, cravat hanging untied about his neck, staring at his own reflection as if the thing would magically tie itself. The sight put her in mind of a small child frustrated with an unsuccessful attempt to tie his own shoes.

She knew instantly what it meant, of course, and was honestly more surprised at herself for not thinking of this possibility than anything else. Since when had she ever seen Tristand wear a properly tied cravat? Given how he'd been dressing his entire life, it was perfectly conceivable that he had simply never bothered to learn how it was actually done.

It was the perfect opportunity for a teasing remark, but of course she needed to be the mature, gracious winner, so she said nothing of the sort as she approached Tristand and spun him around so she could tie the thing herself. And then straighten his vest. And smooth his lapel. Lord Ruler, her own husband really didn't know how to dress himself at all, did he? This whole time she'd thought he must at least know a little bit, but apparently she was wrong. She even had to give his coat a little tug so it sat properly on his shoulders. Only when she was satisfied did she finally turn him back around so he could see the result for himself.

"There," she said at last. "See how much more handsome you look?"

Posted Image

#16 Tristand Entrone

VentureGuard1

Posted 01 May 2015 - 12:22 AM

Tristand smirked. Handsome, was he? He shrugged his shoulders -- which was admittedly harder when he stood up as straight as he could. Being dressed properly made him stand straight. It made him feel like he was being strangled, but slowly.

"Yes, but I'm so much less comfortable. Not to mention, I feel like this cravat is going to choke me." Tristand managed not to tug at it, but he desperately wanted to re-tie it.

He took another look at himself in the mirror. It was almost as if he was a comopletely different person. He didn't like this one at all. He wouldn't have the cool nonchalance he did when they were home. He had to be the uptight noble society wanted him to be. His wife was right, for once. Everyone started off underestimating the Entrones. The nobles of Luthadel would write them off completely if they didn't look the part.

"Now that I'm thoroughly uncomfortable, and we are fashionably late, let's get going. We don't want to miss the ball entirely." He said, matter-of-factly. As if it were not him who had taken too long to get ready.

#17 Adrianne Entrone

• Lady Entrone

House Hasting
  • Age25

• OriginKlessium

Posted 11 May 2015 - 01:34 AM

Adrianne rolled her eyes at Tristand's theatrics. "You remind me of my cousin, you know. Germain. He goes so far as to make choking sounds when tying his cravat. He's also twelve." For all his huffing and puffing, though, Tristand really did look quite good when he deigned to straighten his coat and let her tie his cravat. The sharply tailored lines were almost enough to distract her from those startlingly blue Lord Ruler what was she thinking? She turned away in a hurry, hiding her embarrassment under the guise of checking to make sure nothing was being left behind. She had a shawl, fan, and reticule laid out on a nearby table and ready to go; Tristand's cloak, hat, and cane were nearby.

But what was that, there on the floor? A folded piece of paper, lying underneath the chair where Tristand had so carelessly tossed his coat. Honestly, no wonder his clothes were always wrinkled!

"See, Tristand, this is why you shouldn't throw your clothes around the way you do. This would have been lost, picked up and burned with the rest of the garbage once the servants came in here to clean." She snatched the paper off the floor, intending to either put it somewhere safe or just hand it back to him. "What is it, anyways?"

Posted Image

#18 Tristand Entrone

VentureGuard1

Posted 11 May 2015 - 02:21 AM

"Ha ha. My wife has learned comedic genius from the great comedy masters of our time. Next you'll be telling me that he eats more vegetables than me... and I should start taking notes..." He said.

Tristand was admiring his outfit in the mirror while his wife looked around for the last few items of the ensemble. He readjusted his tie half a dozen times, trying to make it not choke him, but also trying not to untie it. He would never be able to get the knot that neat again himself. The fact that his wife was right about needing to be their best in Luthadel... Tristand still did not want to have to dress up like this for every meeting. He'd spend the entire time trying to remember that his cravat was not, in fact, a deadly snake trying to crush his neck while he thought of something terribly clever to say to their prospective business partners.

He touched his breast pocket when his wife said she had found something. "Lord Ruler's left knee," he cursed under his breath as he turned around. He watched her pick up the letter he had been hiding.

"I..." He stammered. "I don't know what it is. I haven't opened it yet." Tristand realized that sounded incredibly stupid.... and he was about to get the look from her that said very plainly how idiotic he sounded. Alarmingly, he knew that look very well.

His tone darkened. "It's from my father."

#19 Adrianne Entrone

• Lady Entrone

House Hasting
  • Age25

• OriginKlessium

Posted 11 May 2015 - 03:08 AM

Adrianne frowned. That was all she needed to know and more. She couldn't help but feel bad for Tristand; for all she couldn't stand the bloody idiot, Tristand honestly didn't deserve what Lord Izenry had done to him. And honestly neither did she, but that was another story entirely.

"Then we certainly won't worry about it tonight," she said, locking the letter safely in a drawer. "I'll read it for you if you want. Just give me this." She handed him the key to the drawer, then promptly pretended to forget about the entire thing in her haste to gather her belongings. When Tristand was ready to talk about it again, he would. Who else would he even go to with something like that? It would probably wind up as one of their midnight chats one night.

"Come on. We're going to be late."

Posted Image

#20 Tristand Entrone

VentureGuard1

Posted 11 May 2015 - 03:22 AM

Tristand took the key from Adrianne and tucked it into his pocket. The letter had been a weight on his mind. While it was still there, he could at least ignore it if it wasn't so close to him. Theoretically he could even enjoy the ball they were supposed to be en route to already.

He was thankful that Adrianne seemed to understand his feelings about the letter without having to explain them to her. He didn't want to read it, but his father wouldn't write if there wasn't something important to discuss, especially after what happened between them.

"Right behind you," he said putting on his cloak and grabbing the cane. He picked up the hat and tucked it under his arm before heading out the door. The sooner they got out the door, the sooner Tristand would be distracted enough to enjoy himself. The wine provided at the ball would not hurt, either.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users