The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Swashbucklers

Private W2 D2 LA Eliza Fathvell Felix Fathvell

13 replies to this topic

#1 Eliza Fathvell

• Daughter of Lord Fathvell

Lord Prelan
  • Age19

• Relationship StatusCourting Caden Hasting

• OriginSouthern Islands

Posted 24 December 2014 - 04:03 AM

The Black Corsair sets sail once more!

Eliza couldn't help but smirk as she stepped out into the training yard Felix had selected for their first session together. How many afternoons had they spent swordfighting with sticks and capturing each other's pirate crews? And now here she was, about to practice real knife fighting with her Best Cousin. Of course, who else would she ltrain with, especially now that Uncle Nat wasn't around? Felix was clearly the best and only choice, for too many reasons to count.

Though she had seen Fathvell's female combatants - Coinshots and Pewterarms mostly, and a handful who were secretly Hazekillers - training in trousers, Eliza had chosen one of her least favorite dresses for the session. She wouldn't ever have reason to wear trousers in a situation where she might actually need to use her soon-to-be-learned knife skills, after all, and besides, ruining dresses while adventuring with Felix was a time-honored tradition. And if this monstrosity just so happened to wind up in tatters, well, she could only be so lucky.

A few people looked at her askance as she stood waiting in the yard, but she ignored them. They would see for themselves what was happening when Felix arrived, which would be relatively soon.

And then the real fun could begin.

Posted Image

#2 Felix Fathvell

Member of Lucille Deveaux's Book Club
  • Age20

• Relationship StatusSingle

• OriginTavira

Posted 05 January 2015 - 03:12 AM

Felix did have some work to accomplish when they returned home from the wine tasting, but he decided to put it off until later in the evening. He was always much better at focusing at night, anyway. That probably came from his sleeping schedule. He kept late nights, but hardly ever woke up in time to see the sun rise.

Felix changed as quickly as he could and at least read a few letters he received that day. Most of them were wine critique requests, which he received all the time. A few were invitations, and he set them all aside. He could respond to them later. Right now, it was Best Cousin time.

He made his way down to the training yard wearing a simple shirt and trousers. He carried two small training daggers. He didn't have any knives they could train with yet, but he had already requested to have some made for them. For now the daggers would work, since the tactics were essentially the same. Daggers were just a bit longer.

Knives were easier to conceal in a dress... which Felix saw Eliza wearing. That was perfect. He had not counted on his cousin to be so... practical. Although, he didn't know why the simple fact of wearing a dress to training might surprise him. Perhaps it was just the amount of time they had spent apart.

"Are you ready for a new kind of Swashbucklers?" Felix asked as he approached with a wide grin on his face. Grateful to spend so much time with his cousin. They had been apart far too long.

"These wooden daggers were all I could find... and I am not giving you real blade to start out with. I'd be sliced clean through, I'm sure of it," he said.

#3 Eliza Fathvell

Lord Prelan
  • Age19

• OriginSouthern Islands

Posted 05 January 2015 - 03:26 AM

"You would not and we both know it," Eliza said with a smirk of her own. She was slightly disappointed, however, to see that the knife he handed her was wood. "I was sort of hoping to slice this thing up a little, though; isn't it awful?" She spread her skirts a little, so he could truly bask in its awfulness.

"Guess I'll just have to go fall off a garden wall or something later. So! Where do we start?"

Posted Image

#4 Felix Fathvell

• Age20

• OriginTavira

Posted 05 January 2015 - 05:47 AM

Felix smirked at his cousin. "You still haven't grown out of destroying your clothing then, I see." He said chuckling. "I think that one might look better torn up though, you might be right."

"Well... first you hold it by the not-pointy end," Felix said as he handed her one of the training daggers.

#5 Eliza Fathvell

Lord Prelan
  • Age19

• OriginSouthern Islands

Posted 05 January 2015 - 05:57 AM

Eliza grabbed the wooden knife and used it to flick Felix's shoulder. "Very funny," she said with a smirk. "And here I was thinking of bludgeoning rogue Pewterarms with the handle. Silly me."

Felix seemed... different... in the training ring than he had been earlier. Different, and yet the same. He was more focused somehow, and more serious even while he joked around with her. Was this what her Best Cousin was like as a Mistborn? Was she allowed to see this? Well she guessed so, if he was sharing this side of himself with her. He seemed perfectly comfortable, which was a good sign. Eliza had been afraid that if she let him see her seeing him as a Mistborn, it might be awkward. After all, he had always been and would always be her Best Cousin above and before anything else. But it seemed like he already knew that, so she would just have to do her best and not be awkward herself now that she'd thought of it.

"Of course," she added as a way to distract herself from any thoughts that might cause her expression to betray her, "I have seen people handle them by the blade before, for throwing. Some of the pirates would throw them at me to test my nerves. Flinch, and they'll devour you. Don't flinch, and you've earned yourself some new drinking partners for the rest of the negotiation."

Posted Image

#6 Felix Fathvell

• Age20

• OriginTavira

Posted 25 July 2017 - 07:21 PM

Felix smirked. "Well I doubt that anyone will throw knives at you here. I think we should probably train more for close quarters fighting," he said.

"Copy my stance." He showed Eliza how to stand. He had his knees bent slightly, able to shift his weight quickly. He stood side on toward her, giving her a smaller window of opportunity to attack him.

"We'll start with disarming. Since that's the first step to winning any kind of knife fight. Become the only one holding a knife and you've gained the upper hand already."

#7 Eliza Fathvell

Lord Prelan
  • Age19

• OriginSouthern Islands

Posted 25 July 2017 - 08:55 PM

Eliza smirked as Felix showed her his stance so carefully, positioning her just right to be able to practice the techniques they were going over. It reminded her of when she was little, and Uncle Nat had just started teaching her. She hadn't even been allowed to hold a practice knife until she got the stance right. She let Felix position her the way he wanted, though, and say his piece.

Then he mentioned disarming exercises.

Eliza flashed a wicked grin at Felix, then sprang forward without warning, just like Uncle Nat had shown her. With Felix not expecting her to move, much less know what to do, it was a simple matter to flip his "knife" out of his hand and hold it to his throat, the one he'd given her guarding her center.

"Like that?" she asked, still grinning. "Uncle Nat started with this, too."

Posted Image

#8 Felix Fathvell

• Age20

• OriginTavira

Posted 26 July 2017 - 02:23 AM

Eliza moved so quickly at the mention of disarming, that Felix was taken off guard. His immediate first reaction to flip his attacker over and make sure they were grounded. He got so far as to put his hand on Eliza's arm before he realized exactly who he was attacking. Best Cousin was not actually a target to eliminate. She just scared him. Felix loosened his death grip on her arm. "Sorry... reflexes." He said, looking apologetic.

"I should have known Uncle Nat taught you to fight. It makes sense what with the pirates and all." Felix flexed the hand that held Eliza's arm. "He taught me everything I know about knives. He came up to Austrex occasionally to help me train because I needed more than just Aunt Cora to teach me how to fight, I guess. Different perspectives" He made a grand gesture with both arms at the last statement.

"So, then, we should probably just spar and see what else we picked up from Uncle Nat?" He asked.

#9 Eliza Fathvell

Lord Prelan
  • Age19

• OriginSouthern Islands

Posted 26 July 2017 - 02:32 AM

Eliza gasped when Felix moved like lightning, grabbing her arm before she could blink and moving as if about to flip her over his shoulder. On second thought, she realized as he apologized, maybe attacking her Mistborn cousin with no warning was a bad idea. Yes, he was her Best Cousin and she trusted him with her life, but if she poked at his reflexes too much and an accident happened, he wouldn't be able to forgive himself, even though it would be her own fault.

Still, that had been awesome.

"So, then, we should probably just spar and see what else we picked up from Uncle Nat?" he asked, and she nodded, handing his practice knife back with a grin.

"Sounds like a good idea. Also, can you one day show me how you moved like that? Because seriously, that was amazing. Can't you just picture me flipping Tremaine around with a move like that?"

Posted Image

#10 Felix Fathvell

• Age20

• OriginTavira

Posted 26 July 2017 - 02:47 AM

Felix chuckled. Only his cousin would think that his instincts to flip her over and pin her to the ground were "amazing." She wasn't even scared that she'd get hurt? That was probably because she liked to talk with pirates. He realized that he was vastly underestimating Eliza. He had been for years. He was supposed to protect her as one of the house Mistborn. That was supposed to be his job, but she was more than capable of taking care of herself.

She just needed to be taught how. So that was what Felix would do. He would teach her to take care of herself so that when she didn't have him around, she would still be able to defend herself if it came to that.

"Well, it is more about momentum, but if he has pewter like we suspect, he'll have the dexterity to get out of a hold like that," Felix said, smiling. "There are other ways to hurt or disable even a pewterarm, though. Which I could also teach you if you wanted."

He realized he was rambling and decided to start sparring with Eliza as he finished talking. He took a stance and came at her, a bit slowly, but he wanted to make sure she was ready. Which she clearly was. She was trained by Nat. There was no reason to go slow.

#11 Eliza Fathvell

Lord Prelan
  • Age19

• OriginSouthern Islands

Posted 13 August 2017 - 04:18 PM

Felix came at her again, a little slower this time, and Eliza was careful not to repeat her previous mistake. She matched her pace to his, this time not showing off, but rather showcasing what Uncle Nat had taught her. Technique, control, and the ability to read her opponent's movements.

The restrictive Luthadel dress frustrated her more and more by the second, though. The heavy petticoats dragged, making it more difficult for her to dodge and move around the way she was supposed to. The tight stays interfered with her breathing, and the arms and shoulders weren't cut to allow for freedom of movement, they were cut to look pretty. The result was that she was pinned pretty much in one place, unable to get away from a superior opponent. At least Felix was currently playing the superior opponent who was going easy on her, testing her abilities rather than actually trying to win. She'd have lost in seconds otherwise.

If this were a real fight, she might have gone on the offensive, hoping to create a momentary distraction or hesitation that would give her an opening to flee. But it wasn't, and they weren't trying to simulate one, so far as Eliza knew. Felix was getting to know her abilities, so he'd know how and where to pick up her training where Uncle Nat had left off. That meant she had to give him enough to work with, not break it off as soon as possible and escape.

And so she kept at it, wincing every time her sleeves or bodice pulled, and nearly tripping over her ash-cursed skirts a couple times. She was determined to make as respectable a showing of herself as she could, even disadvantaged as she was, and so she would keep at it until Felix called a halt.

Posted Image

#12 Felix Fathvell

• Age20

• OriginTavira

Posted 13 August 2017 - 06:15 PM

Felix watched Eliza, concentrating on her movements while they practiced. He could see what was taught to her by Nat, because she would use his exact movements. Then he could tell some of what she had adapted herself. It was good that she was changing with the fight. That was important to prepare her for a real fight. He watched her calculate her moves, but the trouble was, because of her restricted movement in the dress, he could actually tell exactly where she was going to go next.

"Luthadel has some interesting fashions, do they not?" Felix said, deflecting one of her attacks, and coming around the other side. "Perhaps this is why they prefer to teach their women to play piano rather than with knives."

He waited a while longer before breaking off the fight and then had his cousin stop. "Unlce Nat is a large man. The way he fights is, out of necessity, different than the way you or I should," he said. "You are small and agile. You have started to use that to your advantage, but that dress is a little too restrictive. How high can you raise your arms?"

#13 Eliza Fathvell

Lord Prelan
  • Age19

• OriginSouthern Islands

Posted 24 September 2017 - 10:26 PM

Eliza sighed with relief when Felix called for a halt; she'd done her best to keep up with him, but there was no contest whatsoever. He was good, which filled her with both pride and relief. Pride that her Best Cousin was every bit as skilled and capable as she had always known he would be, and relief because those very skills would keep him safe while he did his more clandestine work. Not that Felix would ever let himself be caught like other, weaker Allomancers, of course, but it was a relief all the same.

When he asked her how far she could raise her arms, she merely stretched hers out to the sides and raised them up as high as she could. It was a pathetic showing; she could only get them almost parallel to the ground before the tight sleeves and bodice caught, restricting her movements.

"To be fair," she offered, "this is the worst of the bunch, which is why I'm sacrificing this one in particular to the dangers of knife practice, but most of the Luthadel gowns are almost as bad. Even the sleeveless ballgowns are so tight that I can't twist or bend properly."

Posted Image

#14 Felix Fathvell

• Age20

• OriginTavira

Posted 03 June 2018 - 01:55 AM

"Most of the Luthadel gowns are almost as bad. Even the sleeveless ballgowns are so tight I can't twist or bend properly." Eliza said

Felix raised one of his eyebrows and cocked his head to the side. "Why would you wear a Luthadel gown?" he asked. He laughed.

"I'm never giving up my Islands' coat... Although I guess following the fashions is more important for you than for me... I think for ease of movement, it would be better to keep wearing the Islands' fashion. It'll also be easier to conceal a blade underneath, and you can at least move your torso easier."

With that said, Felix went back into training. Not giving Eliza time to completely catch her breath. After all, if she was attacked, they would not wait either... He tried to demonstrate the movements that he and Eliza should be utilizing in their knife fighting. He used smaller, quicker movements, rather than big, sweeping strikes. Uncle Nat was easily twice the size in musculature than Felix was, which meant that he was a giant compared to Eliza. He had the raw power to back up his knife jabs, he rarely needed to quickly duck out of the way.

"Do you see the difference here?" Felix asked.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users