The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

The Talk

W2 D4 LN Closed Caden Hasting

• You cannot reply to this topic
No replies to this topic

#1 Caden Hasting

• Potential Hasting Heir (Hasting Hottie)

House Raisaal
  • Age24

• Relationship StatusIn a Relationship with Eliza Fathvell

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 12 February 2015 - 02:39 AM

Mother was singing. That was a good thing, it meant she was in a good mood. She had been growing more and more silent as of late, and Caden did not know what to do about it. With all of his responsibilities, and the competition with Colette, he had little time to spend with his mother. Even when he did find time, he always found himself attempting to rush away sooner than he intended. It was not that he did not enjoy spending time with her - he did - it was just that his mother was... difficult to talk to. Sometimes it was hard enough just to keep her attention, let alone carry on a meaningful conversation. Other times, she would fixate on some meaningless aspect of something Caden had said, and the only way to get her to stop talking was to leave the room. Sometimes, Caden feared she did not stop talking even when he left.

"Caden, my darling!" She cut off mid song as he knocked and entered. "What a pleasant surprise! I thought you were going to that ball... at House Casuana was it?"

Caden shook his head. His mother often had trouble keeping track of current events, and had been avoiding the Luthadel social scene all his life. "The Casuana ball was last week. There was that fire, remember?" He tried to keep any hint of harshness from his voice, but from his mother's expression he knew he had not quite managed it. His mother was one of the few people who could frustrate him more than Colette. The difference between his mother and other people who frustrated Caden was that even the minutest show of emotion, especially negative ones, could have a profound effect on Rianne. Conversing with her usually made Caden feel like he was stepping on glass.

"Oh yes darling, the fire, that's right. How silly of me." She tried to be covert about dabbing the tears that had gathered in her eyes with her sleeves. "So, forgive me, but which ball was this then?" She tried to brighten her tone, but failed to make it convincing, leaving her voice sounding strained and tired.

Caden sighed, trying to force himself to be more patient. He sat down on a nearby couch and motioned for his mother to join him. Sitting usually helped with his mother's sensitivity, likely because it made Caden's posture less threatening. "The Perrault's were hosting. They are a Central House of middling power, dealing mostly in Obsidian." He didn't bother to describe them more, his mother likely wouldn't remember them anyways. "And the ball is over, mother. I've just returned home."

"Oh my! Is it really so late?" His mother's eyes widened as she glanced at a clock on the wall. "My, but time does fly! I was singing, you see, such a lovely song. It got in my head and I just couldn't get it out. It inspired the most lovely fancy, would you like to hear it? I was thinking, what if the ashmounts were singing to the sky, and the ash in the air were the songs of the earth, in tangible form. I..."

"Mother," Caden interrupted, knowing a tangent when he saw one. "It's actually kind of late, and I was hoping to speak with you about something rather important."

Again, her eyes widened. The enthusiasm she had been brimming with only moments before seemed to vanish, leaving her deflated and forlorn. That look was what Caden hated most about speaking to his mother. He loved to see her happy and excited, full of life and love, but somehow him talking to her always seemed to bring her back to reality, a place she seemed determined to escape.

"Oh yes of course darling. Something important you say? Nothing bad I hope." Rianne's voice wavered as she retreated back into her shell.

"No, nothing bad mother." Caden knew he had to tell his mother about Eliza now, or he might not get the chance before she heard from someone else, but he still hesitated. It was hard enough talking to his mother about regular day to day things. How was he supposed to speak to her about his feelings?

"I... that is to say I'm... I've decided..." Caden cleared his throat, trying to collect his thoughts.

"What was that, Caden darling? I'm sorry but I was distracted and don't think I was paying the best attention."

"Mother," Caden let a bit of firmness enter his voice, and reached out to take his mother's hand. With anyone else he would have made eye contact, but looking into another person's eyes seemed to be more distracting than helpful for Rianne. "I attended the Perrault ball with Eliza Fathvell..."

"Ah yes. You always find a way to get a woman on your arm..."

"And," Caden continued, determined to say his piece, "I like where things are at, and would like to see where they might go. This means we will likely be attending more balls together."

For a moment, Rianne just stared at Caden, and he began to worry he would have to go through the awful process of explaining himself all over again.

Then, a brilliant smile crept across her face, lighting up her features and reminding Caden that his mother had once been, and likely still was, one of the most beautiful women in the city. While it made him glad to see he had finally managed to make his mother happy, he also realized he would have to accept the fact that this conversation would be anything but short and sweet, and that he would be lucky to get to bed before the sun came up.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users