The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Brainstorming for Kale

4 replies to this topic

#1 Comatose

• Shard of Brain Inactivity

House Raisaal

Posted 11 March 2015 - 08:39 PM

Heys guys!

So, like many of you I've been busy lately, and it looks like I'm only going to get busier until exams finish up on the 19th of April (then I'm into job application for articles season, but I should have more time for writing prose in between cover letters and firm research). That being said, I'm still plugging away at Kale Lekal and Olivia Fathvell's character applications, and thought I would solicit some feedback from you guys in the mean time, so writing can go faster when I do have some time.

So, here's the deal with Kale:

He's the current Mistborn for House Lekal. He's from an outer branch of the family, and grew up in Port Tresteau. He had an arranged marriage to a high ranking member of the Lekal family (to breed allomancy into the main line), and has been living in Luthadel pretty much since he snapped. A few years ago, his daughter (and possibly his wife) were kidnapped, either by bandits, rebels, or possibly another noble house, I'm not sure which. In the course of the resuce, the daughter is killed, part of which is Kale's fault. This, obviously, has had a profound effect on Kale, hence it's importance. Also, to avoid total self hatred and depression, he has a settled intention to avenge himself on the people he views as responsible for his daughter's death.

So, here's the deal. I need to brainstorm (1) Who did the actual kidnapping, (2) Which noble house (or other powerful entity) was supporting/indirectly ordered the kidnapping, and (3) Why they did it. It is important that Kale's perceived enemy be someone powerful, so that he has to be careful/wait to get his revenge. If it's just skaa, then he'd just go on a rampage and be done with it, which isn't nearly as interesting.

I've already done a little bit of brainstorming for this, and I'm going to keep kicking around ideas, but if any of you has something to add PLEASE DO! Anything helps at this point, especially regarding who ordered/is responsible for the kidnapping and their motive.

Thanks in advance (if anyone actually has time to read, think about, and respond to this topic). :)

EDIT: Another thought. I think it would be preferable for the kidnapping to be an unintended consequence of the bigger enemy's plans. Like they authorized their subordinates to do "whatever it takes" or something like that to achieve an objective, and Kale's family were caught in the cross fire. That will make his desire for them to admit responsibility even more difficult to deal with.

Also, I guess I should clarify that even if his wife is involved in the kidnapping, she does survive, and continues to make his life miserable afterwards :)

Posted Image

#2 Haelbarde

Acolyte

Posted 12 March 2015 - 11:54 AM

I've been considering taking the plunge and properly (and formally) make my own house. I'd be aiming for something at a SER of 5.5-7 (so from well established, to being a High House, or even at the point of pushing to ascend) provided I can make it fit. My plans were to put it in a position where it'd ultimately fall in the relatively near future, whether from a failed attempt to ascend, or getting on the wrong side of a bigger House. I could potentially build it to be the perpetrators behind the kidnapping. Accidentally getting on the bad side of a Great House could be a good way of getting the House to fall in the near future.

It's an idea, if you're interested. It's obviously not the quickest solution, but it would the House could be tailored to lead to some interesting stories from its formation.

Edited by Haelbarde, 13 March 2015 - 06:19 AM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

#3 Moru

Tineye

Posted 14 March 2015 - 07:34 PM

Not going to lie, my first thought was "Would it be possible for Kale&Co. to get caught up in one of Lorelai Sureau's schemes?" I know we use Sureaus for bad guys a lot, but there isn't a lot that Lorelai gets to have her hand in directly on screen or even really recently. Her latest big thing was finding her father's wealth and taking over his empire (or the part of it that she can control).

While she doesn't like Lekal, I cannot think at the moment what she would gain from an attack against them, unless they had somehow threatened the streetspice trade for her... If that sparks anything, let me know?

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 Comatose

• Shard of Brain Inactivity

House Raisaal

Posted 16 March 2015 - 12:17 AM

Haelbaerde: It's hard to say whether or not your house would be a good fit without knowing more about it, but since you are making it anyways, I'll take a look when you are done.

Moru: Hmmm, Lorelai would be a perfect untouchable foe for Kale to wish he could get revenge on, especially since my guess is Lekal would not want to be eager to reignite the conflict between the two houses.

I'll have to think more about motive. Could we use the "caught in the crossfire" kind of thing. Like maybe wife and daughter are out for a social tea with the wife of one of Lorelai's clients who haven't paid/competitors or something, Lorelai sends in some thugs, and Kale's wife and daughter get caught in the shuffle? The attack would not need to be against Lekal specifically, and it might actually be better if it wasn't.

Kale also wouldn't have to know WHO was behind everything right aways. Having him do some digging could be fun :)

Posted Image

#5 Haelbarde

Acolyte

Posted 16 March 2015 - 11:48 AM

Fun thing with Sureau is you've got the bad blood from Lekal ceding from the coalition in 902, so ~14 years prior to this. Sureau's hardly going to be upset about hurting them.

My house is only a small collections of thoughts at the moment. My suggestion was more that it's something that could be shaped to fill the role you're after. I need to work out a plausible financial avenue for it first anyway.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users