The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Kennith Fathvell

2 replies to this topic

#1 Kennith Fathvell

• Beard

Posse Member
  • Age23

• Relationship StatusSingle

• OriginTavira

• Allomantic StatusHidden

Posted 06 May 2015 - 06:51 PM

KENNITH FATHVELL
Misting

Posted Image

Name/Handle: Mozy

Posted Image

Name:Kennith Fathvell
Type: Noble
Place of Origin: Tavira
Relationship Status: Single

Posted Image

Type of Powers: Misting
Metals Used: Rioter
Degree of Skill: Novice

Posted Image

Kennith's hair is majestic. It is long, extending past his shoulders, and voluptuous. It is a wonderful, deep shade of brown, and it falls in waves of fabulousness. He always wears it down, because he loves it, and spends more time making it perfect than most women do. Only on days that it is being unruly does he ever put it up, or for professional situations. He also braids it a lot, and enjoys trying to recreate hairstyles that he’s seen at balls on his own hair.

As a whole, he pays a lot of attention to his appearance. He has what he has deemed the perfect amount of stubble, dark and defined eyebrows, and dark brown eyes. He is an average height for a man, though on the shorter side of average, standing at about 5’10”. His face shape is soft, but he has a well-defined jaw-line.

Kennith is built broadly, which helps him not feel small, and well-muscled. That is, actually, the only reason that he duels now. He likes how it makes him look, and it impresses the ladies. He is quite handsome, and prefers sharply cut Luthadel-style suits to the fashion of the Southern Islands when in the south. It makes him stand out. Conversely, he enjoys the flare of the Southern Islands fashion when in Luthadel because it makes him stand out more there.

Posted Image

On the outside, Kennith is a sophisticated young man, but with a 'bad boy' streak. He acts like that partially to avoid responsibility, and partially because he learned, from watching his father, that a man was supposed to flatter and charm women. When he tried this in society, he found that it made him feel happier when he knew that he had succeeded in making a girl feel happy, or beautiful. The only thing he will not do to make a woman happy is sleep with her. He is uninterested in sex, and is made uncomfortable when women attempt to seduce him. There are few women that he won't flirt with. It makes him happy to help women feel pretty, and he loves the attention. Though he has always been a people watcher, he prefers to act irresponsible in order to avoid anything serious. He is afraid that if he stops running away from the responsibility that threatens to catch up with him, he will fail.

Kennith’s fear of failure stems from his Allomancy. He has always hated it, and he was a disappointment to his father because of this. He believes that if no one sees him as responsible enough to do anything important, he won't ever fail them. It is for the same reason that he has commitment issues. He has the mask to protect himself from anyone expecting anything of him. In doing this he has isolated himself, but he avoids that also. Because if he just keeps running, he will not fail.

In spite of all of this, Kennith is not a bad man. He is a little self-absorbed, but he has a good heart. He is more of a gentleman then he seems to be, and much more responsible. It just makes him feel uncomfortable to present his real self to anyone except for his little brother. Kennith hates conflict passionately, and usually avoids it. As a result he doesn't really ever seek out a situation that would create any conflict, but it also makes him hide more of his interests than he would if he didn't hate conflict and failure as much as he does. He only ever duels for fun, and never to win a fight with anyone.

Posted Image

Special Skills: Snarking, womanizing, avoiding responsibility, socializing in general

Strengths: He's very good at reading people, and at making them comfortable. In that, his Rioter training has not failed him. He uses this talent to present himself as a casual, mildly irresponsible guy because he knows what kinds of things he can do to be read like that. He's wonderful at avoiding responsibility, and mostly just avoiding things.

Weaknesses: He hates conflict. He will do basically anything to avoid conflict, which can get troublesome at times. Between avoiding conflict and avoiding responsibility, he has created a situation where he is in fact quite isolated from most people. This has made him more self-absorbed than he otherwise would be because he rarely has to actually think about anyone else. It has not gained him many real friends.

Posted Image

Kennith Fathvell was born in the year 895 to Vincent and Adelphie Fathvell. He was the first of two sons, but his brother wouldn’t be born until he was five. He got used to being an only child during those years, even if he never got the kind of attention that now he craves. Even though he rarely got attention from his parents, he got the full attention of the nurses. However, he got used to playing by himself. He was not so close to his little cousins at that age that they provided him anyone to steal the attention of.

The arrival of a little sibling did provide him with another human to get attention from, but at the same time the small Kennith resented his younger brother, Gabriel. Gabe stole the attention that would have otherwise been given to Kennith, or so he believed. But really, through all of this, Kennith just wished that his parents would notice him.

This new-found lack of attention led Kennith to fall farther into his habit of watching people. As he grew older he was allowed into more social situations with his father, and he learned from those encounters that the proper way to treat a woman was with flattery and charm. Apparently they liked it.

On a whole, he was a fairly happy child. He worked hard to please people, especially his parents, but he knew that what his father wanted was an Allomancer. Kennith was not uneducated about Allomancy, it was one of the many things he had learned about from watching people, and he knew that to gain his father’s notice, he needed to Snap. Even though he had no idea what that entailed. It sounded scary, and mysterious, and no one had ever said what it was when in his presence. Perhaps he wasn’t supposed to know until it happened.

He had to wait until he was ten to find out how one Snapped. He was quiet about his desire to be an Allomancer, though. He never asked anyone outright about it, nor did he get the chance to ask his father about it. However, when he was taken to be Snapped, he was terrified and the fact that this was the first time, apart from formal dinners, that he had seen his parents together did not make it any better. He was suddenly terrified that he wouldn’t Snap and would disappoint them both. That terror stayed with him during the entire beating.

Kennith didn’t realize that anything could be more terrible than failing to Snap, and so he was over-joyed when he was told he was a Rioter. However, as this new responsibility pulled him away from his little brother, he began to wonder if this was what he had really wanted. Yes, he now had the attention of his father, but that attention was quickly developing into a stifling pressure. It got worse when he found that though he had a knack for reading people’s emotions, he had no subtlety with his metal. His father’s pride in him quickly turned to disappointment when Kennith got no better with it over a year, and Kennith slowly stopped trying as hard. He had failed at the one thing that he had always wanted, and that was more terrifying to him than it would have been had he never been an Allomancer. He started wishing that someone could come and reverse his fortune so that he could no longer be such an extreme disappointment.

He picked up dueling instead of going to train as a Rioter. It was pointless training, and dueling would at least make him feel like he was doing something. It turned out, however, that he had no competitive streak and his dueling turned into something he did purely as exercise. There was no other point to it, if he didn’t want to duel competitively.

When he entered society, he found that not only was charming girls fun, but it also provided him with a situation where he could use what he had learned from his training as Rioter to make people happy. He threw himself into it with gusto, figuring that he couldn’t disappoint his father any more than he already had. It made him happier to be in society, where no one could be disappointed in him, and he quickly created a face for himself. He was a gentleman, of course, but he made sure to create himself a reputation for being a ‘bad boy’. He would never be a good Allomancer, or a businessman, but at least now no one would try to force him into those roles. If he failed to charm one girl, there was always another one who would gladly be on his arm for a ball or dinner. There was not a large society in Tavira, but he travelled occasionally, and especially during the height of the Austrex social season.

He attempted to stay close to his brother throughout all of this. It was hard, as Gaberiel wasn’t the most talkative, but there wasn’t anyone else that Kennith trusted as much as he trusted Gabe.

When Kennith was seventeen he decided that he wanted to train as a Sommelier. There was no better job for him then that, and he already knew a lot about it. Being a Fathvell did that to you. He also figured that he could use it to increase his charm with the young ladies, and he was right. Once he knew enough, he began to hold private wine tastings for certain young women he was charming at the time. The group was always changing slowly, as women entered and left his life, and he made special care to never court anyone. He didn’t like the idea of having someone that he could disappoint in his life, and he knew that he would fail, so why bother?

For a while he tried to convince Gabe to attend the tastings as well. His brother didn’t show nearly enough interest in women, in Kennith’s mind, and Kennith worried that his brother was just shy. If he didn’t have a face to maintain, Kennith knew that he would have been equally quiet and not nearly as social as he was now. It helped that no one ever saw his true self. Gabe, however, expressed a dislike of the private wine tastings and after he confronted Kennith about it, he stopped making Gabe come.

Kennith was happy like this. He had convinced everyone that he was irresponsible, shallow, and not at all the kind of person you trusted any kind of responsibility to. He had no chances to disappoint anyone. He briefly considered courting someone when he was twenty, but she eventually turned him down when he revealed to her that he was uncomfortable with how far she wished to take the relationship. She took it as a personal slight and avoided him after that. However, he got past it quickly, or he told himself that he did, and he continued in such a manner that few other women actually tried to court him. It was lonely, but he ignored that. He liked the attention too much, and he didn’t want to fail another young woman.

Then Fathvell became a Great House. It was a surprise to him because he paid absolutely no attention to politics or business. It was easier for him that way. Because of this, he didn’t think it would affect him all that much, until he and Gabe were called to Luthadel. Apparently they needed eligible young bachelors to marry off for political alliances. Part of Kennith was terrified that he would fail that as well, but he was mostly just happy to be going to Luthadel. There would be more room for him to be irresponsible there, and he figured that since he would definitely not be marrying for love, there would be less pressure for him to be happy with it.

Posted Image

Kennith waited patiently in the training area for his 'date'. He was honestly not sure about teaching her how to duel, but she had asked so nicely, and was quite pretty, and he hadn't felt like saying no. It felt so terrible to turn pretty girls down, and besides, what could go wrong? It was just dueling. Yes, they would be alone, but maybe he would get over himself with her. He had been wondering if it was time for a serious courtship for a while now. He could see himself with this girl as well. She always looked so happy when he complimented her.

The girl in question was Eleanor Maraine. He had met her roughly a month and a half ago, and they had already attended three balls together. There were not officially together, yet, and had not spent any time completely alone. He was nervous about this because of that.

Finally she arrived, looking a little nervous. Kennith put on a charming smile and pushed his hair off his face. "I hope you are having a good day, my lady. You look beautiful." He said, taking her hand and kissing it, "I have been thinking about this meeting all day." It was not entirely a lie, either. He had been thinking about it, just in a more worried way. He didn't know where this would take their relationship.

"So have I." Eleanor said with a smile. "I discussed getting dueling clothes with my tailor, but unfortunately they are not ready yet. I do hope it will not be a problem."

"Not at all, not at all." Kennith said, quickly trying to figure out how he would teach her the stance if he could not see her feet. He supposed that he could work by seeing where her hips were and just hoping that her feet were in the correct places. If he was not so much of a gentleman he supposed there would be other ways to make sure her feet were placed correctly, but he was uncomfortable with them. "I have some practice canes here. I grabbed one that is not quite as heavy, since you are new to this. Shall we get started?"

Eleanor smiled nervously and nodded quickly. Kennith handed her the lighter of the practice canes he had and then held his, turning and holding it out so that she could see his grip. "You want to hold the dueling cane like this. It will give you the most flexibility, and strength. Luckily, dueling is not just about physical strength." He shifted his feet and fell into a basic dueling stance, one foot slightly behind the other. "Mainly what you want to remember is to stay grounded. If your feet aren't strong, then you will lose your balance too easily, and you will not have enough strength behind your attacks." He stood up normally and smiled at her. "Separate your feet to about the same width as your hips, and then shift your right foot back and angle it towards that wall."

She still looked a little nervous, but she did so. Kennith decided that he should probably do something to make her less nervous about everything. He smiled wider and nodded, coming behind her and gently setting his hands on her hips. "If I may?" He asked softly, watching a blush rise into her cheeks. She nodded, looking more flustered now. She was cute when she was flustered. She smelled good too. Her hair had been pulled back into one of the most intricate braids he had ever seen, and it smelled like nutmeg. He wondered where she had gotten her perfume. It wasn't what women seemed to be wearing much of right now. Of course, he knew that there were other ways to get her to relax, but he preferred this method. It was much better than using Allomancy, which he was bad at anyways.

Kennith adjusted her stance as well as he could without his hands going any lower. It was mostly because he didn't want to come off as any less of a gentleman than he tried to be, and less because he thought she wouldn't like it. "You are doing very well, Eleanor. Remember, stay grounded and keep your knees bent. If you get too tense, just take a deep breath. Tension will take away from your flexibility as you duel." He took a small step closer to her and gently moved one of his hands to take her practice cane. He adjusted her fingers and held her hand gently, showing her how to hold it properly. She blushed more and he grinned at her. "The same is true with your hand. If your arm is too tense and your elbow is not bent, then you will lose much needed flexibility and strength to your attacks and parries. These are the basics of dueling, and so as long as you remember how this feels, you will have no problems as a duelist. You are already doing beautifully."

Kennith smiled and then stepped away from her, walking around to face her and grinning. He picked up his practice cane and fell into a fighting stance. "You are a very good teacher, but I do not think that you are that good." Eleanor said with a small, flustered smile.

"Oh no, I do not intend for you to spar. I doubt we can even start the first exorcises until you are out of a dress." Kennith said and her blush deepened. He winked and then grinned. "But do not worry. I just want to see your stance, and I thought it would be helpful for you to see mine first."

"I see." She grinned and hesitantly raised her own weapon. "I am almost tempted to do it wrong." She teased, and he winked again.

"I assure you that you do not have to go quite that far just to get me to touch you." Kennith said, walking closer to her. He adjusted her arm again.

"Are you trying to insinuate that I am terrible at this?" Eleanor said with a teasing smile. She stepped out of her fighting stance and Kennith laughed, almost considering moving closer. She was already quite close to him, and he knew that he should close the gap, eventually.

"Not at all."

"Then what exactly are you insinuating?" She used his light grip on her hand to pull him closer and blushed at the same time.

"I do believe that you should be able to guess, my lady." Kennith said, still grinning at her. He was once more close enough to smell her, and she was so cute right now. So flustered and yet still flirting with him.

"You must show me. I am not at all good at guessing." Eleanor said, and Kennith was amused by her attempt to ask him to kiss her. Well, he would oblige. He was not at all unused to women getting flustered when they were near him.

"As you wish, my lady." Kennith said, setting his free hand on her waist and leaning in to kiss her.

She was more enthusiastic about it than he had anticipated and when the kiss ended, Kennith had actually turned a rather bright shade of red. For someone so hesitant and easily flustered, she certainly knew what she was doing. What had he just gotten himself into?

"Something tells me that you are not as innocent as you pretend to be, my lady." Kennith said with a wink.

"Few women are."

"I find it hard to believe that most women in the final empire is as good at kissing as you just showed yourself to be." Kennith said, wondering if the training grounds were the place to have this kind of conversation. Yes, he had made sure that no one else was there, but it still felt awkward.

"Of course they are not. Nor am I as experienced as you seem to think I am." Eleanor laughed, blushing a little bit.

“I apologize for presumming." Kennith said, gently letting the practice cane fall to the ground. "But I believe that we have now gotten rather distracted. Anyone could be watching."

"How true you are." Eleanor didn't pull away from him like he had expecting. Instead she took his hand, interlacing her fingers with his, and lowered her voice. "What was that you said earlier about not being able to teach me much more with me still in this dress?"

Kennith froze. That wasn't what he had been trying to imply at all. "I was just teasing you." He said quickly. He was barely interested in sleeping with anyone when he was someday married. And anyways, he wasn't that committed to her. He just…it was one thing to kiss him and maybe wonder if they should start courting, but it was entirely another to let her into his bed. If anyone found out, she would be ruined. So of course he couldn't do that to her.

"And you don't want to make that a reality?" She looked rather disappointed, and Kennith now felt bad for turning her down.

"It is not that I do not want to." He lied, hoping she would feel better about it if he seemed like he wanted to. It had nothing to do with her, or how beautiful she was, but he just wasn't interested. "But we should not."

“And here I thought you were more than just a gentleman.” She frowned at him and then pulled away. "Perhaps I should be going, then. I will see you later, Kennith."

Kennith felt like he had just done something terribly wrong. He wasn't sure how refusing to sleep with her meant that he was just a gentleman. Was it really that odd for a man to turn down women when they suggested it? ”Shall I walk you to the door?"

"No, I remember the way."

"I feel like I have done something wrong, Eleanor." Kennith said, catching hold of her hand. "I truly did not mean it."

"You have not. I was just being silly." Eleanor smiled a little at him and kissed his cheek. "This was fun. I am sorry that I overreacted." She pulled away from him and left the room, leaving Kennith even more confused than before. She made absolutely no sense.

#2 Comatose

• Shard of Brain Inactivity

House Raisaal

Posted 07 May 2015 - 06:12 PM

All right, Kennith's application is even better than his man-bun!

In the appearance section I think you mean 'voluminous' instead of 'voluptuous'. Other than that, I don't detect any errors. I'm actually really impressed. It seems like every application you write just gets better and better!

Approved. One vote left to go!

Posted Image

#3 KChan

Atium Chandelier

Posted 10 May 2015 - 09:30 PM

I love Kennith. Can't wait to see him around Luthadel! Approved!

Posted Image
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users