The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Research and Ridicule

Private W2 D4 HN Keep Elariel Daerra Elariel Odairn

2 replies to this topic

#1 Daerra Elariel

• Heir's Sister

House Raisaal
  • Age23

• Relationship StatusSingle

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusHidden

Posted 03 July 2015 - 06:29 PM

"Thank-you Reid, you may go." The mute skaa who looked after the classified sections of the Elariel archives bowed politely and shuffled away, leaving Daerra to study the files she had requested in privacy. Reid possessed an incredible memory, a talent for organization, and an aptitude for drawing sketches from verbal descriptions, talents that were all put to use when helping House Elariel Seekers identify allomancers from other houses.

Daerra was in the section of the Keep Elariel basement where sensitive information was kept on lock and key. On the reading desk in front of her was every file concerning men in their twenties and thirties with facial scars, sorted based on whether their allomantic status was rumoured, hidden, or open, and based on the type of allomancy. Any Elariel Seeker could access the files, but only members of the First Tier could peruse them without supervision.

As soon as Reid was out of sight, Daerra began flipping through the files, checking names, sketches, and written descriptions, and began sorting them into two piles. Only men with blue eyes and facial scars in the correct regions went into the pile she would peruse in depth. All others went into a discard pile that Reid could resort and file away.

Daerra paused on one sketch that seemed to resemble the Mistborn from the night before. Their encounter had been shrouded in the mists and darkness, and these sketches were approximations at best, but perhaps she had found her man.

Flipping to the written description, Daerra frowned as she reached the end. "Subject has a prosthetic right arm, cause of loss unknown. Has been sensed burning Pewter. " Daerra sighed as she tossed the file into her quickly growing discard pile, and turned to the next file. She would have to work quickly, and possibly skip lunch, if she was going to have time to change into mourning clothes before the Sortell meeting and still have time to prepare for the Perrault ball.

#2 Odairn

• Elariel House Steward

House Raisaal
  • Age50

• OriginTathingdwen

Posted 03 July 2015 - 09:24 PM

Odairn was in one of his many hidden chambers, studying a diagram written in a code that only he could read. On the diagram, in his own neat hand, was the content of dozens of reports from various agents. Different coloured lines connected the mix of fact and rumour together, indicating possible connections and relationships. Odairn copied down the report he had just recieved from an agent working for House Fathvell, and added it to the web. It would seem that Eliza Fathvell was making plans to visit Caden Hasting. If the meeting was to strengthen relations between the two houses, Odairn would have to watch these two carefully in the future. Thus far, House Fathvell appeared to be a mostly indifferent member of the Sureau Coalition, but if Hasting was able to strengthen ties between the two houses, it could mean trouble for Elariel. Between Vivian's capture and Hasting's supposed involvement in Mikhail's assasination, diplomacy with Tekiel and Fathvell would be of key importance in maintaining Elariel neutrality.

Perhaps a meeting with the Fathvells should be arranged. The recently widowed Olivia Fathvell had arrived in Luthadel recently. Odairn's agents reported that she was currently staying with her sister at Keep Lekal, but perhaps the former Patreson might be prevailed upon to arrange a meeting. After her failed attempt to start a new House and steal House Patreson's contracts, Olivia had not maintained any sort of relationship with her birth family, or with House Elariel, but her re-connection with her sister gave Odairn hope that maybe she might be willing to work with him.

Then, there was the question of who to send. As heir, Aaron was the obvious choice, especially given the large number of younger Fathvells Dastand was bringing into Luthadel, but did he have the political acumen to pull off such a delicate encounter? Daerra certainly would be up to the challenge, but Odairn was hesitant to rely on her too much. Perhaps he could send her with Celia. His spies reported that Daerra did not get along with Andrew's only student. Normally, Odairn was hesitant to utilize Celia because of the potential Andrew had to influence her, but maybe she and Daerra would balance each other if forced to work together? Odairn opened up his files on the two women, looking for connections they might already have to House Fathvell that could be utilized.

He was interrupted by a four carefully timed raps at the door. Odairn hastily tucked the folders away, even though they were written in code, before unlocking the door and allowing his guest to enter.

"Excuse me for intruding Master Vaht, but I have the new arrival for you, as requested, and Reid has reported that Lady Daerra is perusing the allomancer files."

Odairn sighed, and waved the middle-aged woman, and the child who was with her, into the room. Odairn would have to go confront Daerra himself, which meant processing his newest recruit would have to be post-poned. "I trust the pre-interview went well, Arlena?" The boy couldn't be more than eight years of age. Odairn liked to start his agents young. Sometimes children made the best spies,and beginning to train them during childhood meant he would have more competent adult agents later on.

Arlena gave him a professional nod that said 'Of course I did my job' in terms just polite enough that Odairn could not reprimand her for being snarky. "Good, arrange for him to have a bed with Tyrene's family in the barracks, and see that he is put to work. I'll arrange for him to meet with me when there is time.

Arlena, always a stickler for keeping to scheduled appointments, nodded curtly, and swept out of the room. While her behaviour bordered on arrogant at times, that arrogance mostly stemmed from the fact that Arlena was extremely good at her job, which was why Odairn often forgave her for an occasional lack of respect. As a low-born noble, the fact that she was taking orders from a Terris Steward likely didn't help things.

Making sure his files were secure, and that the door he used locked firmly behind him, Odairn set off to see what 'Lady Daerra' might be up to.

Posted Image

Odairn found Daerra right where Reid's message had said she would be, crouched over a large number of files, apparently sorting them into two separate piles. While normally the fact that Daerra was fulfilling her duties as a House Elariel seeker would not be cause for investigation, Odairn had reason to believe her current research might be related to a late-night venture his agents had caught Daerra returning from the previous night.

"Hello, Lady Daerra. Might I assist you with your research?"

#3 Daerra Elariel

• Heir's Sister

House Raisaal
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusHidden

Posted 29 November 2015 - 08:47 PM

Daerra looked up as Odairn spoke. She had long suspected that Reid might be in the steward's employ, but it was good to have confirmation. The skaa was a valuable asset, and now that she knew where his loyalties lay, she could get to work on figuring out how Odairn controlled him, and what she could do to steal his loyalty away.

"You needn't trouble yourself, Odairn. I shall be quite fine on my own. I'm sure you have more important things to attend to." As she spoke, Daerra casually closed the dossier she had been perusing, making it seem like she was merely done with that particular file, and that she was not trying to hide anything. "Uncle has been keeping you busy these last few days. I wouldn't want to infringe on your valuable time." Despite his lowly status, Daerra knew that Odairn was one of her biggest threats within the house. The terris steward had a knack for sticking his nose into the business of others, and everything he learned made its way back to Alistair.

"It is my duty to serve every member of your family, Mistress. Assisting you here is well within my mandate."

Daerra raised an eyebrow. "Is it?" She met Odairn's gaze and held it, trying to discern what thoughts might be whirling around behind those dark eyes. After a moment, Odairn lowered his gaze, adopting a posture of respectful deference. The steward might be ambitious, but he still knew his place. "I can always call for Jinzan, if I need assistance." Odairn's dislike of Daerra's steward was well known within the house. While the kandra's presence often tested Daerra's nerves as well, she resolved to keep him at her side more often, if only to keep Odairn away. "You are free to go Odairn. Thank-you for your concern." Daerra opened a file at random, signalling that their conversation was over.

"Shall I report your findings to Lord Elariel, Mistress? I'm certain he will be eager to hear of your discoveries. Then again, perhaps he would enjoy hearing from you in person. The two of you have many matters of importance to discuss, I would think."

Daerra sighed as she closed her file and looked up at Odairn. "And what matters might those be?"

"In your meeting with Lord Elariel earlier this week, you gave a very compelling description of how you could be of use to him."

Daerra sat back in her seat, keeping her face neutral. It was obvious Odairn was suspicious of her willingness to act as a liaison between her uncle and her brother. "Anything for House Elariel, of course. My uncle knows I serve at his pleasure. Anything that is within my power to provide is his to ask for."

"Lord Aaron seems to be having some difficulty adjusting to his new position."

"That's understandable, surely. Mikhail's death came as a shock to all of us, and Aaron's never been one to seek responsibilities. He'll find his way soon enough."

"Of course he will. And I'm sure you will be a great help to him as he makes this transition."

"Yes, I will." Daerra kept her features calm, knowing Odairn's astute gaze would be searching for any hint of nervousness. Did he suspect that her and Aaron's falling out was real? She wanted nothing more than to have Odairn reprimanded for impudently ignoring her clear dismissal, but doing so would only jeopardize her fragile alliance with her uncle. "Anything, for the glory of House Elariel."

Odairn shook his head in a theatrical show of disbelief. "I can't believe it."

Daerra let the statement sit for a moment, before deciding to take the steward's bait. "You can't believe what Odairn?"

"You, Mistress. Such arrogance. You actually believe you will rule this House some day, don't you? Lord Ruler knows, you probably thing that if you were a man you'd be ruling it already."

Daerra laughed, forcing herself not to allow Odairn the satisfaction of getting under her skin. "And you don't believe the same? You think we don't see you gliding through these halls like you own them? I suppose in your dreams you are whole; a real member of the family. The difference between you and I, Odairn, is that my dreams can come true. I may be a woman, but I am the daughter of one of Luthadel's greatest houses. You are a servant. My uncle may value your services, and exalt you above all of your peers, but that doesn't change what you are. The way he treats you, it must be easy to forget your place." Daerra smiled, letting her gaze flick up and down Odairn's portly figure. "It would be wise of you to remember it. My uncle may tolerate you, but others in the family might be less forgiving. It wouldn't do to have your attitude reflect poorly on Lord Elariel's judgement."
To his credit, if Daerra's words had any effect on Odairn, the steward gave no indication. "You may go, Odairn. I'll arrange another meeting with uncle when I have something to discuss with him. Don't make me repeat myself again."

The steward nodded and saw himself out, leaving Daerra to wonder whether she had just earned his malice, or his respect.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users