The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

New Plotter - how to catch up?

2 replies to this topic

#1 Amaren

Riordan Casuana's Reputation

Posted 21 November 2015 - 11:49 PM

I'm posting this on the plotting board, although it may be better off in general discussions. I'll leave that call to the admins.

Those of you who read my introduction post will know that I've visited this site before, but never managed to stick around for long. Whilst my character application is being looked at, I thought I'd take some time to think about why I've never stuck around, and what I could do about that to avoid it happening again.

I think one of the big things that ultimately led to me disappearing was a lack of the bigger picture, of the storyline of the forum and my place in it. I was fine in following an individual thread, but I wasn't too clear on the implications of my actions in the wider context, and in a similar fashion, wasn't sure where to join an existing plotline or event, as I wasn't aware of the context.

My question to you all is; how do you avoid this issue? Obviously there are resources such as the continuity threads and timeline, but what I'd like to know is any particular methods you guys use to keep track of where things are heading within different sub-plots, how they tie together, and what to look for or find out beforehand when joining in an ongoing storyline.

Tips, tricks, links to threads and anything else around this will be very welcome. Also, please feel free to tell me if I'm over-complicating the whole thing and the answer is simply to read old threads :)

Accepted Characters:

Gennar, Skaa Rebel Wannabe

W.I.P:

Erinelle Getrue, Noble Assassin

#2 Haelbarde

Acolyte

Posted 22 November 2015 - 03:26 AM

I don't think I have any answers for you, because I'm not sure myself. The way I've been thinking is more that new plotlines need to be created for new(er) characters to join in. I figure that the mods already know the big story events, and given they control the characters that will set those events in motion, if when you're plotting with them, something you do is going to come in conflict with anything, they'll let you know. And most of the more plausible plotlines that could be played out by the various characters that I can think of wouldn't really have any bearing on what I know of the mods plans.

So I guess my solution, currently, is that I would like to set up some stuff with a new skaa business with gang ties (I know that we have a few others, but the only one sorta still active is more of a rebel cell, rather than just skaa criminals).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

#3 Comatose

• Shard of Brain Inactivity

Looking Good in Red

Posted 23 November 2015 - 01:33 AM

In terms of process, a lot of us use google docs to keep track of things, but that's usually after we already have a plot idea and other players to interact with. For example, after we worked out the idea for Colette Hasting's posse, and found players for each character, we created a google doc for the players involved to brainstorm, and to help us keep track of plots.

For integrating a new character into existing plotlines, I find the best option is to post in the Plotting Thread (as you have rightly done), and see who is interested. Don't be afraid to generate ideas at this stage; if things are going wrong in some way, the admins will let you know. To get things moving, I usually like to give a description of what I had in mind for my character, and a few things about their motivation, what they want to accomplish. Then I might also list the types of characters I'm looking to plot with, along with a few fun suggestions.

Another way to ensure your character gets integrated is to place them in already existing structures (rebel cell, houses, gangs, etc). Placing your character in an existing group instantly gives them a pool of core characters they can interact with. Then, it's just up to you to come up with a reason for them to interact, and the other details of the scene.

As for current events, there is a gossip thread that I can't seem to locate and don't have time to look for at the moment. It's probably easier if you ask "What's going on with Group X" and then we can fill you in on something more specific. I'll try to remember to post something more comprehensive when I have time. For now, check out what some other people have done here in the plotting thread (look for threads with more replies for successful examples).

Posted Image

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users