The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Why hello there

15 replies to this topic

#1 Zurthian

Skaa

Posted 27 August 2016 - 11:28 PM

So I came across this site after a particularly long binge on Cosmere and Mistborn stuff and I took a liking to the idea of RP-ing. So I thought I'd make a Terris Keeper character, outcast from the Synod because of brazen use of his powers in the name of physics. Probably 30 ish of age, long hair that comes down to the shoulders, with kind of a Sherlock/House personality (not as severe as Sherlock) and great observational skills. His skills in feruchemy, more specifically with Iron and Steel, catch the eye of the Inquisition, thus he feels that helping out the rebellion would allow him to eventually continue his studies free from the scrutiny of the Empire.

I hope you don't think it's a bad first choice, because I really like the idea. Thanks in advance for the replies!

#2 Comatose

• Shard of Brain Inactivity

House Raisaal

Posted 11 September 2016 - 06:28 PM

Hi Zurthian,

So, I'm at an internet cafe at the moment, and finally have time to write a little. The Terris Keeer idea isn't a bad one, but it might require some workshopping. In terms of activity, the most active character group are the nobility, so characters who regularly interact with the nobility are more likely to be active. That being said, we do have a lot of characters in the rebellion and in thieving crews, so if you are up for workshopping and planning things out with other players, you can definitely create opportunities there was well, it might just take a little more work to set up.

For the Terris Keeper idea, Keepers can be difficult to play because of their restrictive role in society, and because the main Keeper we hear from in the books, Sazed, is atypical and unique. You'll remember that the Synod was very disapproving of Sazed's involvement in the rebellion, and most Keepers prefer to quietly serve noble masters and remain hidden in plain sight, watching and waiting for the end of the Final Empire rather than seeking to end it themselves. This could be a good thing for you, as it would give your character opportunities to act with the many noble characters on the boards, but it might be tough as well if you want him to end up working with the rebellion. Hiding means he'd probably have to keep up appearances, which means a shaved head and Terris robes. While he could masquerade as a Skaa, he'd also have to figure out how to disguise the physical differences he would have because he is a Eunuch.

That being said, a Keeper working with the rebellion is definitely an option, we will just have to do more workshopping in order to make it work.

The other potential issue I see is having his skills with Feruchemy be noticed by the Inquisition. Generally, if the Inquisitors notice a Feruchemist, that Feruchemist is dead. Escaping Inquisitor pursuit is the exception rather than the rule, so I'd prefer to avoid that scenario. It's fine that your character is skilled with Iron and Steel Feruchemy, but I'd prefer to leave the Inquisition's notice out of it. Surviving as a Feruchemist in the Final Empire is hard enough, so in order to facilitate more RP opportunities, I'd prefer for your Keeper to be off the Inquisition's radar for the time being. We can always let him get discovered later on, if you want.

The personality characteristics sound fine to me. One caution I'd offer is to make sure you think through how certain characteristics are shaped and informed by your character's past and history, and how they change your character's life. Basing a character on figures from pop culture like House or Sherlock is a great way to get started, but it's important to give your character depth and try to think about what makes him unique. How does he interact with others if he has an alienating personality? Was that personality created by social factors in his youth, or if it was there from the beginning, how did it effect his growth and development? How does his past affect his world-view and interactions with other characters? Asking those questions might help to flesh things out a little and hopefully get you started writing.

For a couple of good examples of Terris characters, check out Delzen, Vizar, Ronyl, and Odairn. Only Vizar is a Keeper, but all of them do a good job of being unique while still being believable within the context of the Final Empire. I'd also reccomend skimming through the Notes and Quotes from the Final Empire thread for some tidbits about Terris Culture (try text searching within the thread for the word 'Terris' if you are short on time), and the Terris section of the Guide to the Final Empire Thread.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions, or if you have any ideas you'd like to workshop.

Posted Image

#3 Zurthian

Skaa

Posted 14 September 2016 - 09:25 PM

So I read your reply, and I had a few thoughts. First of all, from what I remember, you can't tell a Terrisman by the skin colour, as Kelsier pointed out with Rashek. Second of all, I don't really recall any physical characteristics that made Sazed stand out because he was a eunuch, just the scar where his genitalia used to be. Also I guess I didn't make myself clear, for which I apologise - he isn't constantly hunted by the Inquisition, more so that because of his constant experiments, rumors begin to spread anywhere he is. Nothing too serious, just that someone in the village/town has access to one of the Metallic Arts. Point is, he waits a couple of months before starting to experiment, and during that period of time he gets to know the local skaa farmers, starts a small trading system, all the while filling up his metalminds whenever he can. After people have become used to seeing him, he then starts throwing himself off of buildings during the night, counting the seconds it takes for him to fall, changing his weight while moving around, etc. The moment people start whispering about a man falling off of buildings, moving faster than normal, and so on, they immediately think Mistborn. This in turn gives him time to pack up, make excuses and move on to the next town, repeating the process. Eventually, he would realise that the constant moving and waiting is interfering with his research, so he travels to Luthadel and contacts one of the bigger crews leading the rebellion, asking them to act as a spy in the nobility in exchange for a place where he can do his research in peace, away from prying eyes.

So his zincmind lets him go through dozens of possible outcomes to any situation within the span of a couple of seconds at most. This also allows him to analyze a room and the people in it, picking out the most appropriate way to act in a particular company, which allows him to earn the trust of most nobles. As I mentioned earlier, and I hope I am right, his physical appearance doesn't really differ, and his skin almost isn't dark from spending so many nights out and most of the days indoors. The shoulder-length hair keeps his earlobes in check, and his rings are pretty fashionably made, not just plain pieces of metal. His steelmind could be used to quickly poison someone's drink, for example, or coupled with his ironmind to sneak around unnoticed, especially in the mists. He wouldn't really keep earrings on him, since any Inquisitor would think it suspicious that he has earrings but covers his ears with his hair. That's why he always keeps his rings with his coins, and always wears a steel ring so he can switch them up fast - so for example he wears only 3 rings as to not seem over-the-top.So they're usually a steel one, a zinc one, and an iron one. Say he needs health for a poison he just felt in his food or in his drink - he taps his steelmind, places his hand in the coin pouch, swaps the iron one for a gold one, and he's ok. I talk a lot about poison and sneaking about during parties and during the night because of Wax, the bastard, but it's basically how I imagine a sleeper agent would act. So this is a more expansive version of my post given for feedback, so I know how to better mold him before I post the character for accepting. Thanks for all the feedback!

Edited by Zurthian, 15 September 2016 - 07:04 PM.

#4 Comatose

House Raisaal

Posted 17 September 2016 - 04:39 AM

View PostZurthian, on 14 September 2016 - 09:25 PM, said:

So I read your reply, and I had a few thoughts. First of all, from what I remember, you can't tell a Terrisman by the skin colour, as Kelsier pointed out with Rashek. Second of all, I don't really recall any physical characteristics that made Sazed stand out because he was a eunuch, just the scar where his genitalia used to be.

The skin thing is true, but Rashek was not a eunuch. My books are still in storage, but if you look at the scene where Vin first sees Sazed, she notices something different about him immediately. Because of their castration, Terrismen have elongated features, and have a tendency towards roundness. My understanding is that, while they grow slower, they never really stop, so most Terrismen are taller than men who have not been castrated. Vin also notices the unique quality of Sazed's voice immediately. Since they are castrated as young boys, Terrismen's voices are higher than men who have gone through puberty. The voice thing is a big one, but even the subtle appearance differences could be difficult to disguise, especially if someone knows where to look. I know Vin is incredibly observant, but she also noticed without knowing anything about Terris Stewards. If a noble or a skaa servant who worked with Terris Stewards took note of his features or his higher voice, it would not be difficult for them to figure out he is a Eunuch. Since Terrismen are the only Eunuchs we see occupying a public role in the final empire, I think it would also be safe to assume that if people notice he is a Eunuch, they will probably assume he is Terris, which will lead to questions about why he is roaming the country without a master.

There's a reason the Synod chooses to hide in plain sight among the Stewards instead of making a life for themselves at the fringes of the Empire where, according to Ham, a person with enough money can live like a noble. One reason is that they know the Inquisitors will find them and destroy them if they gather in any open way, and I think the other is because it would be difficult for them to blend into the population. As a person with the bloodline of the original Terris people, your character would have been castrated early in life, and then either kept in the Terris dominance with the rest of his people, or inducted into the intense training of the Steward program. The steward program is an avenue out of Terris to see more of the world, but it is also an intense attempt to indoctrinate people. If he's been through the program, certain behaviors, like a tendency towards subservience, will have been conditioned into him.

Also I guess I didn't make myself clear, for which I apologise - he isn't constantly hunted by the Inquisition, more so that because of his constant experiments, rumors begin to spread anywhere he is. Nothing too serious, just that someone in the village/town has access to one of the Metallic Arts. Point is, he waits a couple of months before starting to experiment, and during that period of time he gets to know the local skaa farmers, starts a small trading system, all the while filling up his metalminds whenever he can. After people have become used to seeing him, he then starts throwing himself off of buildings during the night, counting the seconds it takes for him to fall, changing his weight while moving around, etc. The moment people start whispering about a man falling off of buildings, moving faster than normal, and so on, they immediately think Mistborn. This in turn gives him time to pack up, make excuses and move on to the next town, repeating the process.

Again, the problem I still see with this is any rumours about a person who has the features of a Eunuch using something that looks like Allomancy is going to bring the Inquisitors running. Not only does the Lord Ruler want Feruchemy bred out of the population at all costs, the Feruchemists are also a means of making new Inquisitors. In the books, the Inquisitors are shown to be able to do the near in possible as they continue to track Vin down after the trail would otherwise have gone cold. Part of this is due to their ability to pierce copper clouds, of course, but the other part is because the Canton of Inquisition is incredibly resourceful and deadly. If you want your character to be living under their noses, you will have to find a clever or creative way to help him survive. That's something I'm willing to Workshop with you, if you want, but it's important to the staff on site that the world we are creating here matches what we see in the books. I think it's great that you are being creative in creating a character who is an exception to the rules, but their are better ways to create a character who is different without breaking the rules.

I don't want you to be discourage by this. The above comments are part of the reason why Terris characters can be difficult to create. With a skaa or noble, you are fairly free with how you design your character's history and background, but Terris people are so controlled that there is less room to diverge from the norm. I would start by thinking about what personality traits make your Terris character unique (such as his cold demeanor, acerbic wit, talent for observation, and awkwardness with emotions , if you are still doing the House/Sherlock idea), and then work backwards and think about how he was shaped into the person he has become, within the context of the Terris breeding programs.

Eventually, he would realise that the constant moving and waiting is interfering with his research, so he travels to Luthadel and contacts one of the bigger crews leading the rebellion, asking them to act as a spy in the nobility in exchange for a place where he can do his research in peace, away from prying eyes.

Again, I'd like to reiterate that Sazed is the exception, rather than the rule. I'm fine with having a Keeper working with the rebellion, but to justify it, we will have to make his circumstances exceptional, taking a real look at what brought him to this point, how he managed to escape from the traditional life of a Terris person, and why he feels like the rebellion is the best way to serve his needs.

Another potential issue to address is whether or not your character has had Stewardship training. Our understanding is that Stewards are pretty much the only Terris people to leave the Terris Dominance, and unfortunately we do not know as much as we would like to know about life up there. In Luthadel, the only Terris people we see are Stewards, which is something we do know something about. If you want to write a non-steward Terris character (or at least, a character without Steward's training, a former Steward might be possible), then we will have to come up with how he escaped the dominance and how he has managed to get by without being turned in when he would stand out most places he goes.

So his zincmind lets him go through dozens of possible outcomes to any situation within the span of a couple of seconds at most. This also allows him to analyze a room and the people in it, picking out the most appropriate way to act in a particular company, which allows him to earn the trust of most nobles.

I'm fine with this. I think we only really see Sazed use Zinc once. Zincell, another Terris character, has used it in an action sequence with a Mistborn to interesting effect, so I'd be excited to see more Zinc use in the RP.

The thing to keep in mind about Feruchemy is that it is the magic system of balance. It's easy to assume that your character is just storing zinc any time he is off camera so that he is always ready to use it when he needs it, but it's important to think about what living that way would do to him. The benefits of Feruchemy always come with a cost, so what is using Zinc often costing your character? Does he get lost often because he sometimes stores Zinc when travelling? Is he late to appointments because he's let time pass him by? Do people think he's absent minded? Also, if he's anything like House or Sherlock, what does he feel like when he is forced to slow his thoughts down? Does it aggravate him to know his potential to be incredibly brilliant, while being forced to be slow of thought in order to achieve his full potential?

Actually, it could be interesting if he is a kind of genius, what it would be like for him to store Zinc. If his thoughts are usually faster than most people, maybe he walks around a lot thinking like a 'normal person'. To store enough for some really dramatic effects, he'd still need to go full slowbro (forgive the Pokemon reference) like Sazed does in Book 2, but he could probably store up a good amount of Zinc by walking around only slightly slower than normal. However, if he's anything like House or Sherlock, he'd notice the difference in his mental agility, and playing with his feelings around that could be really fun.

So yeah, I like the idea of a Zinc focused Terris person, so I hope your roll with it. I'm excited to see what you come up with.

As I mentioned earlier, and I hope I am right, his physical appearance doesn't really differ, and his skin almost isn't dark from spending so many nights out and most of the days indoors. The shoulder-length hair keeps his earlobes in check, and his rings are pretty fashionably made, not just plain pieces of metal. His steelmind could be used to quickly poison someone's drink, for example, or coupled with his ironmind to sneak around unnoticed, especially in the mists. He wouldn't really keep earrings on him, since any Inquisitor would think it suspicious that he has earrings but covers his ears with his hair. That's why he always keeps his rings with his coins, and always wears a steel ring so he can switch them up fast - so for example he wears only 3 rings as to not seem over-the-top.So they're usually a steel one, a zinc one, and an iron one. Say he needs health for a poison he just felt in his food or in his drink - he taps his steelmind, places his hand in the coin pouch, swaps the iron one for a gold one, and he's ok. I talk a lot about poison and sneaking about during parties and during the night because of Wax, the bastard, but it's basically how I imagine a sleeper agent would act. So this is a more expansive version of my post given for feedback, so I know how to better mold him before I post the character for accepting. Thanks for all the feedback!

The 'sleeper agent' concept is interesting, but the challenge will be to figure out how he fits into the existing world. I do like that you've chosen three metals (zinc, iron, and steel) for him to specialize in. I'd like to see more about why those are the metals he gravitated to, how he self taught himself to use them, or what training he received from others. I'd also like to know what is relationship to the Synod is. I'd assume that, if he has a research area, his chosen topic would be physics or something? Does he carry the traditional copper minds with him? If so, how does he transport them and where does he keep them?

I'd like to reiterate, that these questions and comments are not meant to be intimidating or discouraging, and I apologize if I was overly rigorous. Part of the fun of this RP, as opposed to writing our own stories, is that working within the confines of Brandon's world forces us to be creative in different ways, and it's important to us that we are consistent in how we comply with the rules of the world. While we do have some zanier characters who stretch the limits of the world, we try not to have too many of those. When we do allow someone to stretch the bounds of things or to take risk, its usually because they are a more experienced player who has already shown they know and understand the world by building several characters who haven't toed the line.

I hope that all makes sense. Thanks for you response to my critiques, and for the added information about your character. I'm looking forward to continuing to develop and build him with you :).

Posted Image

#5 Zurthian

Skaa

Posted 17 September 2016 - 09:08 AM

So after some thought I think I'm gonna scrap the outcast idea in favour of a steward. His previous master would be noble from Luthadel, and would use his obviously sharp intellect to discern what other nobles are up to, as well as gather information on the rebellion (I assume they know that there are groups out there with mistings). So, what if he got tired of being a slave to a person that so brazenly toys with the life of skaa, and knowing that he has his master's full trust, he starts reading up on poisons and biology, eventually poisoning his master. After that, he'd seek refuge in one of the rebellion camps rumoured to exist, as his murder would not go unpunished. Since the noble wasn't from any particularly noticable House, just enough to be invited, there would be little to no questions when Gerandal (the working name) starts attending them again with a different master.

I really enjoy the idea of a zinc focused Terrisman as well, so it's 99% sure that it's gonna be there when I finally apply. He usually carries a coppermind filled with knowledge about poisons, medicine and things like constellations, physical laws (things like gravity and air resistance, don't think he has Maxwell equations stored in there), and mathematical constants he worked out himself (so like gravitational acceleration, worked out in whatever they use as maths in the books). Because I wanted to do a sleeper agent, I hat omitted earrings and most bracers from him as to avoid suspicion. Now, though, I'd think he has a zinc bracer and a steel bracer, along with iron and copper rings, and some golden earrings. So the rebels would be using him a tad like Sazed was used, just this time he'd be using the zincmind to inspect anything the thinks important. Tapping steel and iron like crazy would help him slip out unnoticed when other's thought him dismissed, though it would drain the metalminds pretty quickly, making it a last resort if no other way to extract intelligence is presented. So shaved head it is!

It's obvious why he chose zinc over any others (I'm going with your idea of having the potential to be absolutely brilliant), while iron and steel defy the very laws he seeks to prove right, while staying true to the biggest of them all (conservation of energy), and also being very useful in many cases. I mean, logically thinking, why wouldn't you want decreased weight/increased speed? It makes movement much easier, and coupled with a pewtermind would allow him to actively eliminate someone should the need arise. He isn't really experienced in combat, but when someone moves like a blur and plants a fist capable of shattering stone into your face, you're kind of surprised. Being the logically thinking machine I'd like him to turn out, he would have any trouble killing someone, so after knocking them out, just a quick slice of the throat with a dagger would clear him of suspicion.

Also I have yet to receive neither confirmation nor denial of my idea of stealthy assassiations in the middle of parties given to me by Wax and Wayne. As a final note, should we move this conversation to the workshop, or do we continue here. Because I still need some time to think before I write the application form. This is turning out to be more interesting than I thought it would, so I am also looking forward to bringing this character to life. Cheers!

#6 Comatose

House Raisaal

Posted 19 September 2016 - 06:40 PM

Here or the Workshop is fine, as long as we don't have multiple threads going in at once. A topic in plotting could also work.

For the stealthy assassination at parties, it could be a good plot point, but it should probably be limited to smaller parties, or only to certain balls. If all of a sudden people start dying at major events all the time, the wrong kind of attention will be drawn. You'd also need consent, of course, before attempting to kill of another person's NPC or PC.

Also, if you play a Steward, is there an existing character's life, House, or Rebel cell you would like to integrate him into? It'll be easier to start RPing if you have characters to make scenes with right from the beginning.

Posted Image

#7 Zurthian

Skaa

Posted 20 September 2016 - 04:05 AM

Well all I know are the Great Houses, clearly, though I doubt the idea I had of running away would really work with one of them, even discarding the idea of him killing. That being said, what is the "gameplay" for Terris stewards in noble houses, exactly. Because I had the impression that it's rather boring, which is why I so vigilantly stuck to the working with rebels idea.

Edited by Zurthian, 20 September 2016 - 07:45 PM.

#8 Comatose

House Raisaal

Posted 22 September 2016 - 01:42 AM

Well, that depends on who your character is stewarding for. It is true that Terris stewards gameplay can be limited, but if you are involved with the Rebellion, that could give you some opportunities to RP.

If you play a Terrisman working for a House who also works for the rebellion, you can RP with other rebels, other Terrismen, or the nobles belonging to the house the Terrisman serves (which is why picking an existing house might be a good idea). I'm sure we could come up with other scenarios, but those would be the basic ones. You could also RP with skaa servant characters, or skaa or Terris characters that your character meets on the street or in the Commercial district.

Posted Image

#9 Zurthian

Skaa

Posted 22 September 2016 - 09:43 AM

Well given my idea of running away from my noble house at one point, and laying low for a couple of months with a thieving crew, would you have any suggestions for how/where to start (i.e. start off after I've run away, or during my time in house X) or if the idea of running away sounds complicated to pull off, maybe give a bit of advice?

Thanks for the replies.

#10 Comatose

House Raisaal

Posted 06 November 2016 - 03:33 PM

I would start at the point during which your character had the most possible connections. You can flesh out your back story by writing solo scenes in the history section, but the RP itself is going to be about collaboration. Your character won't have many RP opportunities while he is in hiding.

Also keep in mind the RP moves very slow (we are still in week two after 6+ years) so scheduling for months would be difficult. I'd include the running away in the history and then start at the end of his months in hiding.

Do you have an idea of which crew you'd like to set up with? Maybe we can find some fun character interactions that way.

Posted Image

#11 Zurthian

Skaa

Posted 06 November 2016 - 11:15 PM

I tried finding the Rebel cells in the forums, and they obviously exist somewhere, but I seem to either be blind or sleepy (most likely the latter) , so if you could link me the list so I can read up that'd be great. I remember you were really hesitant to put me in a crew at all, which leads me to wonder if you're still having second thoughts about my idea. If you want, I can change up the story again, make it so that he's in a Noble house instead, though I do prefer the crew, it just seems more involved.

If we roll with the rebel idea, then yes, I think I should start off with Gerandal at the end of his hiding. It would let me write some backstory on the not-so-interesting, though still relevant, events during the lock-up period.

#12 Comatose

House Raisaal

Posted 15 November 2016 - 01:29 AM

I am still hesitant about the Rebel crew but if that's the route you choose to go I'd start with him already joined up. At the end of his time in hiding would work, but perhaps he could have acquired some connections in the Underground to get the ball rollingg ASAP?

I think you could become very involved in a noble house as well, particularly if you can find an active noble character to attach your steward to. Ultimately it's your choice, and our work is just to make your idea work. I'm on my phone right now, but I'll edit this post to include RP links ASAP

Posted Image

#13 Zurthian

Skaa

Posted 15 November 2016 - 06:02 AM

Then I'll roll with the Noble house :D. So yes, if you could link them that'd be lovely.

#14 KChan

Lord Prelan

Posted 15 November 2016 - 06:22 PM

There's a sidebar link to the Inquisition's notes on the Great Houses as they stand in MBI fanon. You can also find every house's thread in the Player Houses forum. :)

Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 Zurthian

Skaa

Posted 15 December 2016 - 09:06 PM

Well after surviving that perilous time period between the two semesters (mostly, not done yet) and reviewing the Houses, I'd say that House Vaudin caught my eye (sorry if I spelled that wrong, I'm on my phone and can't look it up). Any tips for getting integrated, as well as ideas for Gerandal's backstory which I could incorporate, are welcome.

#16 Comatose

House Raisaal

Posted 18 November 2017 - 11:18 PM

If you are looking to get integrated with House Vaudin, I would suggest posting on discord. KChan is the house leader, so she's the one you'll want for integration advice, and she should be fairly responsive on there.

Posted Image

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users