The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

5 replies to this topic

#1 Eliza Fathvell

• Daughter of Lord Fathvell

Atium Chandelier
  • Age19

• Relationship StatusCourting Caden Hasting

• OriginSouthern Islands

Posted 25 January 2017 - 04:11 AM

The wind whipped across the sea, making Eliza Fathvell feel alive and filling her with the vigor she very much needed to face the arrival of a certain ship. The knowledge that the white sails on the horizon were carrying her father ever closer pressed on her shoulders - and her heart - in a confusing jumble, but the fine ocean mist and the smell of salt in the air were soothing, comforting companions. As, of course, were her uncles Lysander and Nat, with whom she stood at the head of the welcoming party gathered on Tavira’s largest dock.

She had foregone both hat and shawl today, as she often did. There was no ashfall today, after all, and even if she’d bothered to wear them she’d have been spending all her time and attention keeping the bloody things from blowing away in this wind. It was far better to go without, despite the way the wind whipped at her hair and pulled little strands out of her pompadour to fly across her face and every which way. Her skirts flapped about wildly as well, tangling with the men’s long coats as they stood together in the wind.

“I hear Dastand is bringing a woman home with him this time,” Uncle Nat said. “Do you think it's true love?” He sighed, practically swooning at the very thought. Eliza just frowned at the thought, trying to focus on the salt and the sea.

[/b]“They're both widows,”[/b] Uncle Lysander said. “And she's making the stained glass windows for our keep in Luthadel. This is purely a business relationship Nat. Not everyone has to fall in love and live happily ever after.”

Thank you, Uncle Lysander, Eliza thought. She loved Uncle Nat’s optimism, but the very suggestion that Father might be replacing Mother was a little too much to bear right now. Especially since it seemed that ever since her most recent birthday, she’d been getting strange offers from young men around her age, wanting to take her to balls, of all things. How long was it until Father replaced Mother and sold Eliza off the way he had with her cousins? Was that why he was here? To peruse the offers while they designed the windows?

“I bet you twelve boxings that they end up engaged, dear brother. You know nothing of matters of the heart.”

Uncle Lysander just rolled his eyes. “I have been married longer than you to the love of my life, Nat.”

“Ahh... but when was the last time…” There was a pause, the sort that happened when Uncle Lysander was giving one of his looks. He was good at those. “Oh right there are little ears. Accept the bet.”

“If it will make you be quiet until the ship docks, fine.”

Eliza shifted uncomfortably, glad that the talk of engagements was over. A hand settled on her shoulder then, giving her a comforting squeeze. Eliza looked up at Uncle Lysander, who met her gaze with a reassuring nod. He knew, somehow, what had just flashed through her mind. He always did, and so did Uncle Nat. They just had different ways of showing it, ways that were just as different as the two brothers themselves, but they fit together perfectly somehow. It was one of the things she loved about her uncles. That, and how they let her squeeze into the middle of their unique little family.

At least, no matter what happened, they would always want her.

She smiled gratefully up at Uncle Lysander, reaching to give his hand a squeeze in return, but just after, he looked up, away from her and out over the horizon. Had he spotted something? Was it the boat? Pirates? She swore to the Lord Ruler, if it was those damn Ironmasts again--

It wasn’t the Ironmasts. It was a series of flashing lights, glinting from the crow’s nest. She squinted, raising her hand to shield her eyes from the sun as she tried to make it out. What in the world…?

Wait a minute.

Flash-flash-pause. Flash-flash-pause. Flash-flash-pause.

It was a simple repetition, easily recognizable and commonly used, but that was how they had learned it in the first place, wasn’t it? By watching the ships coming and going and signaling to each other. They then squirreled away any bits of shiny metal that they could find and signaled to each other when their pretend pirate crews “raided” the vineyards and took all the grapes for themselves. Or at least as much as their juice-stained fingers could hold. Which certainly felt like all of them at the time.

“Felix,” she whispered.

“Felix?” Uncle Lysander asked, seeming surprised. “But he just left. He’d have to have turned right around and come straight back.”

“It’s Felix,” she said more insistently. “I know it is.” A bright smile crept across her face as the reality set in. He really would have to have turned around and hopped on another ship to be back here so soon. And that was exactly what he had done.

Laughing, she reached out to either side to give her uncles a giant, simultaneous hug, then took off running down the dock as fast as she could. The wind tore at her skirts, whipping them up around her ankles, but she didn’t care. The dock workers shouted at her, but she ignored them too. She’d move before the ship got close enough to dock, but for now, this spot was hers. Hurriedly, she thrust her hand into her pocket and retrieved her compact - nothing more than a small, handheld mirror that closed - and opened it up. Let’s see, the sun was over here, which meant if she held it at this angle… yes, that should do it! Grinning widely, she raised her hand as high as she could and turned the mirror back and forth to signal back.

Flash-flash-pause. Flash-flash-pause. Flash-flash-pause.

Almost immediately, from the crow’s nest again, the signal repeated as if in reply, and Eliza beamed all the more. He was here. Felix had come back, and just like that, suddenly the approaching ship seemed much friendlier than before.

Posted Image

#2 Felix Fathvell

Tineye
  • Age20

• Relationship StatusSingle

• OriginTavira

Posted 26 January 2017 - 03:32 AM

Felix dragged Malcolm back down to the deck of the ship. He started burning pewter underneath his already present Coppercloud. He could feel his stomach lurch, even with pewter burning. He wanted to get off the boat already. They were close enough, he might be able to swim to shore...

Not without obviously using pewter. Fine. Felix and Malcolm went below deck again to gather the important things. Felix squirreled away his piece of metal into one of the bags he brought with him. He hadn't even had time to unpack. He had just come back from the Islands when Uncle Dastand said he would need to come back again. Luckily that wasn't a problem. Any excuse to get back to Tavira...

"I do miss home," Felix said as he finished messing around in his bags.

"I couldn't really imagine being away from Luthadel that long."

"I thought it was going to be the end of the world when I was a kid. Aunt Cora apprenticed me pretty early, because it was clear that I was not going to study under my father. I do not have the patience or the disposition to care about crops. My father is Fahvell's Vintner. He spends most of his time trying to see how good the harvest will be, and where we can plot new vineyards. Truly exhausting and boring endeavors. My aunt Cora on the other hand, she gets to see the fruits of my father's labors. Quite literally." Felix could go on and on. It seemed to calm Malcolm down when other people were talking, and he didn't really have to.

"So... you drink the wine then?"

"Of course! Only small samples, though. I have been drinking wine probably since I was your age. Of course I'm not an expert at picking out each note of flavor, but I can certainly tell you which kind is which, and from what vineyard of ours it was grown."

"That's impressive. My mother could probably tell you about the history of each art piece in Luthadel, but I'm not that skilled in anything really."

"Nonsense. I've already seen your sketching skills. You seem to be really good at them. You got my eyes and my hair almost perfect." Felix said with a wink.

Malcolm had spent the better part of the journey sketching different versions of Felix on the notepad he brought with him. Felix thought it was endearing. He could tell that it was an unconscious practice that Malcolm developed.

"Oh... I, I'm sorry." Malcolm said, blushing profusely.

"Don't worry about it. I like it!" Felix said chuckling. He clapped Malcolm on the arm and then looked back to the deck. "We should probably go up. We're docking soon."

#3 Lysander Fathvell

• Vintner

Tineye
  • Age40

• Relationship StatusMarried

• OriginTavira

• Allomantic StatusKnown

Posted 26 January 2017 - 03:58 AM

Lysander's crooked smile when Eliza hugged the Uncles, and ran off stayed until she couldn't see them anymore. He looked at Nathaniel.

"You upset her," Lysander said simply. "You know she doesn't like to think that Dastand is replacing her mother. Or for that matter, replacing her."

Nathaniel gave him a shrug. "You of all people should know that it's better for her to get used to the idea now, just in case. It'll be hard to come to terms with, no matter what time it happens."

Lysander leaned on his cane, but said nothing else to his brother. Lysander had organized his day so that he could greet the arriving party, but normally he would be asleep at this hour. It was taking all of his willpower not to yawn, but with tin at a very, very low burn, he was able to keep himself as awake as he needed to be.

He, and the rest of the family waited at the docks for the ship to dock. Little Eliza could barely contain herself. She did lament the loss of Felix as a companion, but she was starting to find her own in the world.

As soon as the ship docked and it was safe for Felix to come down the gangplank, he did so. He didn't wait for formalities. Dastand was supposed to be the first one down according to custom, but Felix had rarely showed any reverence for the way of the world in his youth, and as a young man, he didn't seem to gain any more respect for it, either.

Felix made it to the deck with one of their visitors in tow. The boy was probably the same age as Eliza, but from his stature, Lysander could tell he was meek. He was not toned, didn't look like he trained much... and it was possible this boy had never had his hair brushed in his life. The curls and tangles alone would drive Lysander batty.

"Did you miss me?" Felix said, hugging Eliza. "This is Malcolm Lebroux. Dastand asked me to show him around the island. Malcolm, this is my cousin Eliza."

Malcolm moved forward and gave a fairly respectful bow to Eliza. "It's... nice to meet you, Lady Eliza."

Felix laughed. "Lady~"

Lysander cleared his throat, and Felix stopped dead. "Now, now. Malcolm, please, You may call us all by our first name. Traditions are rather more relaxed here in Tavira, as I'm sure you'll find. I am Lysander," He said, giving a bow. He began introducing everyone down the line, and by the time he was done, Dastand and Marion would make it down the gangplank and he would have to repeat himself.

You just couldn't stay away, huh, kid?" Nat said, grabbing Felix around the neck playfully. "You must have come back for more beatings and to lose at knife fighting to Uncle Nat again."

Lysander shook his head. He was always surrounded by such boisterous activity. It was no accident that Lysander chose to make his living at night when everyone else was sleeping. He left Nathaniel and Felix to wrestle on the deck while he turned back to the ship where Dastand and Marion would descend from.

#4 Eliza Fathvell

• Daughter of Lord Fathvell

Atium Chandelier
  • Age19

• Relationship StatusCourting Caden Hasting

• OriginSouthern Islands

Posted 26 January 2017 - 05:44 PM

Eliza had backed out of the way of the dock workers as they secured the ship, but she bounded forward now, catching Felix up in a tight hug as soon as his boots touched the dock. He hugged her back, of course, asking if she had missed him when it was obvious she had. She missed him any time they weren't together. Which was always. Except, of course, right now, during this now-beautiful visit. She squeezed him tightly, just enjoying the fact that he had come back, when it suddenly occurred to her that he had begun speaking again.

"This is Malcolm Lebroux. Dastand asked me to show him around the island. Malcolm, this is my cousin Eliza."

She peeked over Felix's shoulder at a shy, meek-looking boy around her own age. And boy he was; he'd have been eaten alive if they had in fact encountered pirates on the way here. He was wearing a strange sort of suit - short and boxy and stiff-looking, and downright strange compared to the free-flowing fashions of the Islands. It made even Uncle Lysander's clothes look relaxed and comfortable. His hair fit right in, though; she sort of felt bad for him, having to stand in the wind with a head of hair like that.

"It's... nice to meet you, Lady Eliza," he said as she turned to face him, giving a polite bow. Was he looking at her oddly? It sort of seemed like he was looking at her oddly. Maybe it was her clothes? Her dress, gray-blue damask with only the tiniest bit of lace but no ruffles or ribbon or stupid pointless spiraly bits, was the picture of utilitarian elegance, but was of a style favored more by grown-up women and looked rather plan compared to the wardrobes of other ladies her own age. And judging by his suit, there was no telling what sort of monstrosities the women in Luthadel wore, so she supposed it made perfect sense if she looked as weird to him as he did to her. Especially as windblown as she was right now.

Felix, meanwhile, was snickering at the Malcolm fellow's formality - until Uncle Lysander chided him for it, anyway, then introduced the whole welcoming party. Uncle Nat, meanwhile, was teasing Felix about losing to him at knife fights, and Eliza couldn’t help but smirk. “How could anyone who likes knife fighting stay away from you, Uncle Nat?”

She turned then to Malcolm, who was probably a little lost. “Uncle Nat is the best in all the Islands with a knife,” she explained with a proud smile. “You can tell because he’s hardly got any scars. One day I’ll be as good as he is, and be able to hit a pirate in the eye from a ship’s length away.

“Actually, that reminds me. Felix, how was the trip from Tresteau? You didn’t spot any ships with dark gray sails, did you?”

Posted Image

#5 Dastand Fathvell

• Lord Fathvell

Atium Chandelier
  • Age35

• Relationship StatusWidower

• OriginTavira, Southern Islands

Posted 27 January 2017 - 02:47 AM

The trip had passed pleasantly enough, and with good company, but Dastand could not honestly say that he would not be glad to be disembarking. He had been given two of the ship's nicest cabins - one for his personal quarters, and the other for a study - but ships by nature were cramped, and he was continuously found himself looking out toward the horizon, looking for unfriendly sails. He wasn't sure whether to be relieved or annoyed at their absence; it only proved that Nat hadn't exaggerated when he wrote that he and Eliza were doing quite well keeping the pirates under control. Nat, he was pleased with for the work, but Eliza? Why hadn't she grown out of her fascination with them? And why were Nat and Lysander encouraging her? Did they not realize she was on track to follow in her mother's footsteps? And that they were pushing her farther down that path?

But then, what right did he have to criticize? Both of them were clearly better fathers to her than he was, and knew her better than he did at this point. Would he ever wonder, he realized, that he had given her up for her own happiness? That she might not forgive him for leaving her, but she would have hated him for uprooting her instead?

He supposed it was too late to debate that now, however. Hopefully Felix's presence would cheer her up enough that she would tolerate his presence over the course of this visit... and Lady Lebroux's, for that matter. For all there was nothing between them other than business, he doubted Eliza would take kindly to him disembarking with a woman other than Leona on his arm. But that was exactly what he would do. Or rather, with her hand in his, in order to help her down the gangplank.

He emerged from the hold to find Felix and young Malcolm already on the docks, chatting with the welcoming party. So much for a dignified procession, then, but at least it was a good introduction to the sort of attitude that pervaded Island life. They were just as courteous and well-mannered, but in their own way and on their own terms.

He found Lady Lebroux up here as well; he’d brought her up earlier, to show her the Islands as they came into view, before heading back down to prepare himself. It seemed she hadn’t gone back down at all, judging from the sketchbook in her hands. He was glad that she seemed to be enjoying the view, and impressed that she’d gotten to work already. But then, that was what the entirety of their professional relationship had been so far, hadn’t it? One or the other of them set forward a task, and then she immediately started on it with passion and dedication. It was quite admirable.

“Welcome to Tavira, my Lady,” he said with a polite smile. “When you are ready, would you permit me to see you safely to the dock?”

Posted Image

#6 Marion Lebroux

• Lady Lebroux

Tineye
  • Age37

• Relationship StatusWidowed

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 28 January 2017 - 03:42 AM

Marion spent much of the journey going over itinerary with Dastand. As soon as they were getting close to the islands, Marion asked to be brought up to the deck. She was passionate about drawing her first impressions and getting the feel of her drawings to match the feeling of the islands. She was certain that the only way to really capture them in glass was to first capture them on paper.

She drew the islands as she saw them from her perspective. She drew them as they came to her. She would pause in the sketch once in a while to shade some ofthe water between her and the island, as if she was using that as a time to contemplate what she had already drawn. As they pulled up to dock, Marion had finished crosshatching a section of terrain.

She, as always, was not satisfied completely with the drawing, but when Dastand broke her out of her concentration, she decided she could be done for now. She would be on the island for a long while, yet. She would have time to sketch.

"Thank you," she said, simply, putting her portable drawing pad away. She folded the cover over it and handed it off to a servant to carry to her room. She smiled. "You did tell me the islands were beautiful, but you did not prepare me well for the breathtaking ocean before we even made it to the island." she said.

Marion chose a simple dress, blue and gray with a few speckles of embroidery on the hem and around the sleeves. She had decided to pull her hair back and pin it aggressively in place, so that the wind on the open ocean didn't whip it around like it did to poor Malcolm's. She watched him for a moment longer over the side of the ship, as he got introduced to the whole family.

The family was as interesting as the islands so far. She could pick out the various members without having to be introduced to them. She had done her research pretty well before deciding to get this deep into a project for this house. Of course, Marion would never let on that she actually knew them before she was introduced, as she was sure that Lysander and Nathaniel did as much research but would say as little about it. She had nothing to hide from them. Indeed, she wanted to be friends with them.

"I believe I am ready, Lord Dastand." She said, taking his arm though he didn't offer it. "Before we are off the ship, I do want to thank you again for such a marvelous break from Luthadel. It is a privilege to be able to travel and call it a work expense." she said. The smile had not left her face in a few hours. The smell of the salty sea air seemed to instinctively make her happy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users