The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Nathan

Skaa Soother Rebellion

2 replies to this topic

#1 Nathan

• Datura's Right Hand Man

Crewleader
  • Age39

• Relationship StatusMarried

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusPartially Hidden

Posted 15 July 2017 - 04:11 AM

Nathan
Skaa Misting

Posted Image

Name/Handle: Feather, FeatherWriter

Posted Image

Name: Nathan, Nate
Type: Skaa
Place of Origin: Luthadel
Relationship Status: Married

Posted Image

Type of Powers: Misting
Metals Used: Brass
Degree of Skill: Intermediate

Posted Image

Nathan is a man who, though not distinctive at first glance, has a depth about him that’s difficult to ignore. He could stand in the back of the room, leaning in the shadows unnoticed for hours, but when he needs to be noticed, it can be difficult to look elsewhere.

Standing tall, Nathan is just over six feet, with strong features and a handsome face. He keeps his black hair long enough to curl, but not long enough that it becomes a hassle. He trades off between wearing a beard and going clean-shaven, all at his wife’s discretion, of course. He has dark eyes that, though they are often hard at first meetings, reveal an unexpected kindness that even the harshness of life in the Luthadel underground wasn’t entirely able to destroy.

Unlike his boss, Nathan isn’t a flashy or ostentatious person. He is what he needs to be, whether that be commanding or comforting, and everything in between. His movements are calm, controlled, and careful.

Posted Image

Those who know Nathan personally describe him as having a calming presence, and not just Allomantically. Among his peers, he’s an easy person to get along with, not overly opinionate or argumentative, and he speaks quietly, with a simple and common sort of wisdom that’s difficult to ignore.

Growing up, Nathan saw that the underground was a cruel place, where the wrong enemy could mean losing everything, and he learned to take safe choices above risks and avoid burning bridges. He is surprisingly kind-hearted, but has learned to be ready to do whatever must be done to survive or to save the job. He may not enjoy the unsavory aspects of smuggling crews, but he can be violent and downright terrifying when he needs to be.

He has never been exceptionally ambitious, but is a fair leader. He's good at keeping track of details and noticing patterns, and like many other emotional Allomancers, has perfected the art of understanding people and getting them to do what he wants. He is not a sly manipulator, but rather homes in on the most effective way to motivate someone is and will confront them with that.

In overseeing much of the day-to-day management of the crew, Nathan is calm and fair, quick to resolve conflicts and neutralize problems. He and Datura are in agreement that loyalty and morale are important factors in crew efficiency, and he works to keep everything running as a well oiled machine. He has a great protective instinct that makes him an excellent defender.

Lastly, though he and his boss are very different people, the two complement one another's strengths. Though she's perfectly capable of protecting herself, Nathan serves as a bodyguard, as well as an advisor and right-hand man. His calm and careful thoughtfulness has helped head off many of Datura's more insane plans, and his steady reliability is one of the few things able to calm her out of a frenzy and keep her wilder aspects in check.

Posted Image

Special Skills: Group-focused brass, Leadership, Basic hand-to-hand combat, Organization and planning, Dealing with Datura, Cleaning up messes, Patience

Strengths: Nathan is a force of stability in the crew. He keeps everyone grounded and on task. His Soothing is at its strongest when he's working large groups, and he works masteries with brass while running teams. His greatest service though, is protecting Datura from herself. With as reckless as she is, it's a full time job.

Weaknesses: Nathan is not a great fighter, passable at best. He tends to have difficulty manipulating individuals with Allomancy, tending to push harder than he should when he tries or acting with too light a touch to actually make a difference. He can be a pessimist when it comes to planning, not wanting to take risks when safer options are available, even if it means missing out on a good opportunity. He worries about protecting the people he cares about greatly, fearing that his dangerous life will hurt them somehow.

Posted Image

A true child of the streets, Nathan never knew anything resembling a home beyond crew dens, hideaways, and slums. His older sister worked in a brothel, just as their mother had, she told him, and the girl leveraged every bit of influence and contacts she could to find a crew that would take in a kid.

He was only five when she beat him, knowing the two of them had noble blood from their father, and hoping he’d Snap and have some useful power, unlike her. “Just like the nobles do it,” she’d said, gritting her teeth. “It’s dignified, Nate. It’ll be over soon.”

It paid off. Sort of. Nate Snapped as a Soother.

At first, it was hard to find Allomantic brass, and Soothing wasn’t a power that crews really wanted unless you were skilled. Some nobody kid with emotion control he doesn’t even know how to use? Not exactly a high-demand recruit.

He stuck it out though, even after his sister died at a nobleman’s hand. Even if his untrained Allomancy wasn’t exceptionally valuable to a crew leader, Nate made sure he was a valuable asset anyway. He was a good worker, never complaining, staying out of trouble. He scrimped with his tiny slivers of the takes and bought brass when he could, trying to practice. He moved up the ranks carefully, through diligence rather than subterfuge.

When he was seventeen he ran across a little girl who ended up changing his life. A little Pewterarm who called herself Datura, kicked out of her family and trying to survive. Pewter was valuable no matter the level of training and he knew how hard it could be for a kid in the underworld. She hadn’t even grown up in the life, she didn’t have the instincts.

So he took her under his wing. He got some good rep with the boss for finding a new Thug, even if it was a little girl, and then he looked out for her. He taught her how the crew worked, kept her out of trouble as much as he could—though she seemed to have a knack for finding it. She was fiery, with an enthusiasm that even a hard life in a smuggling crew couldn’t beat out.

And then one day she killed the boss.

Nate, who had spent so long playing things safe and keeping his place in the crew stable, found himself thrust into sudden leadership as Datura staged a coup on a win, declared herself the new crew leader, and named Nathan her second-in-command. He remembered looking at her, standing up there and grinning like a madwoman, like she’d never had more fun in her life.

Lord Ruler, he knew he loved that girl like a little sister, but sometimes he just wanted to strangle her.

Though he never would have chosen such a high-ranking role for himself in the crew, as the years went by he took to it well. He gets along well with the crew and he knows how to keep them in line. Far from the days of scrounging for a pinch of brass, he’s an accomplished group Soother, managing work teams as much with Allomancy as with orders. He’s happy to deal in the details and minutiae, leaving the mad planning to the woman upstairs. She has some kind of knack for it that he’s never been able to pin down as either luck or crazy brilliance. Perhaps both.

Somewhere along the way, he met Vana.

It was a job gone bad. Very bad. The retreat devolved into an everyone-for-themselves scramble, and Nate had taken a bad hit. Garrison sword, hacked in just below his ribs. As he stumbled through the skaa slums, separated from his team, he clutched his side. He felt he wasn’t so much stopping the bloodflow as just giving it something to dribble over over as it leaked out.

When he finally collapsed on a stoop, he assumed either the Garrison would find him or he’d just bleed to death. Instead, he awoke stitched up and bandaged, hidden away in a dark corner of a worker skaa hovel. A woman named Vana had found him and, though she was a seamstress by trade, working in a large textile mill during the days, she was skilled enough with a needle and thread through flesh as well as through cloth.

She nursed him back to health, helping share their meager food supplies to keep him alive, and nicking cloth from work to make clean bandages and keep his wounds clear of ash. They grew close during his recovery and Nathan swore he’d do something to pay her back. When he was finally well enough to leave, he promised Vana he’d return to settle his debt to her.

After returning to the crew’s shipyard base—and discovering, quite heartwarmingly, that Dat had all but lost her mind, thinking he was dead—he used some of his coin to buy food and plenty of it, then returned to the skaa who’d sheltered him and gave some to Vana. He came back every week with more food, careful not to bring too much lest his helpers get caught with supplies they weren’t supposed to have.

After six months of this, Vana finally pulled him aside and said that he’d more than paid his debt to her and her hovel, many times over. He insisted, saying she’d saved his life and he’d never be able to make that up, no matter how many baywraps and loaves of bread he smuggled to her.

She reached up on her tiptoes, kissed him, and then asked him if he would marry her instead, and call it even.

He was struck, in that moment, by the realization that he did love her and he loved her deeply. It was something he’d never considered, however, because they lived in two very different worlds. He hesitated, worrying that his life would only bring her trouble and danger.

“We’re skaa, Nate,” she’d said, giving a little shrug. “That’s pretty much our lives anyway. At least with you, I’d get something wonderful too.”

He couldn’t resist.

Though she often checked in on her old hovel, still, Nate acquired a private set of rooms in an set of apartments close by. It wasn’t really a home, but it was theirs and it was perfect when either of them needed to get away.

Nathan is very protective of Vana, and only one or two of the crew members besides Datura even know that he’s married at all. He wants to keep it that way, fearing she might get caught up in the backstabbing and danger of the skaa underground.

But they have each other, and so far, everything’s been safe. With tensions in Luthadel rising, however, it’s feels like it’s only a matter of time before something goes terribly wrong.

Lately, Datura’s gotten the crew caught up with the rebel underground, star-struck by some obligator named Ignas. Nate hates the whole idea, thinks it’s dangerous and unnecessary and that they should stick to their own affairs. He especially doesn’t like Ignas, whom he believes to be cold and dangerous.

Datura’s the boss, though, and she’s head-over-heels for Ignas’ plans. Nate just hopes he can keep everything from blowing up in their faces when this inevitably goes south.

Posted Image

Datura, as an individual, was full of many things. Alcohol, on a typical day. A good dose of pewter, usually. Herself, unavoidably, with an ego through the roof.

Today, however, she was showing off the one thing she was so full of that she never ran out of it:

Bad ideas.

“I don't like this, Dat,” Nate said. “We shouldn't be getting involved.”

Dat paused in pouring herself a drink from the crystal decanter on her desk and gave him a look of annoyed disbelief. “Are you still going on about this?”

“It's still a terrible idea.”

Datura gestured toward him with her glass, causing the amber liquid within to slope dangerously toward spilling over the edge. “I thought you’d like working with the rebellion. Aren’t you supposed to be the nice one out of the two of us? You like helping people and mushy stuff like that, don’t you?”

Nate put a hand to his forehead, leaning against the door. It was just the two of them in Datura’s overly decorated office, though there were guards watching the door from the other side. The walls were thick enough to keep anyone from overhearing, which was good. In front of the crew, one didn't question the boss’ decisions.

When it was just the two of them, all bets were off.

“Don't try to play the altruism card with me,” he said sourly. “I've known you far too long for that.”

Datura chuckled, flopping down across her large, throne-like chair. Again, she just narrowly avoided spilling the drink. Did pewter help her balance glasses as well? She kicked one leg over the armrest. With as often as she did that, it was a wonder they didn't just call it a knee-rest.

“Okay, okay,” she said. “So I'm not exactly in this for the good of all. But you could be if you wanted. I don't see what the problem is.”

“Our crew is doing fine on its own, Dat. We don't need a risky alliance like this. We’re smugglers. Why are we throwing our lot in with the rebellion?”

“It's a great opportunity. You're always so afraid of risks, Nate, but I feel like you're dancing around the subject. What's your real issue with this? Why does it bother you so?”

Nate chewed over the real answer for a long while before deciding to give it. “I don't like him.”

Datura frowned, unslinging her leg to sit normally for a change. “Ignas? Your issue is with Ignas?”

“That man is dangerous.”

She grinned at him. “Well, so am I. We make a good pair, then.”

“Not like that,” he said.

“Ignas is a resource. He was an obligator, and with the Canton of Inquisition no less! He’s got a leg up on any other skaa rebellion because he knows what Inquisition will do. He knows how they operate because he was there. That’s insider information we can’t get access any other way. We can’t pass that up!”

Nate gritted his teeth, feeling the brimming frustration that always came with these kinds of arguments with Datura. She was obviously dazzled by Ignas’ connections and knowledge and he knew he wouldn’t be able to convince her, but he couldn’t just stand by and say nothing either.

“He’s cold, Dat. Empty. It’s like… you look at him and there’s nothing human behind those eyes. Like he feels nothing. Or, if he does feel something, it’s only ever hatred.”

Datura rolled her eyes. “And you say I’m dramatic, Nate?”

He glared at her. “I’m not trying to be dramatic; I’m trying to be smart about this! He isn’t the kind of person we want to be involved with. I’m a Soother. We learn to trust our instincts about people.”

“I think you’re instincts are paranoid.” She leaned back, taking a slow sip of her drink. “I hate to say it, but you’ve always been like this. Ever since I joined the crew, you told me to keep my head down and just weather whatever came. And you know what? It was a terrible idea and everyone was miserable. Things got better around here because I took a chance and did something about it.

“Same for the acquisition of the Bright Docks crew. You thought we couldn’t take them, that they’d wipe us out for challenging them. ‘Sit back, Datura, just hold onto what we have.’ Now, we’ve got their territory and possession of all of their ships that aren’t at the bottom of the Channerel right now. There’s been half a dozen things like this, where you think something’s a bad idea until I just have to end up doing it to prove you wrong.”

Nate stared her down. “And what about the Winter Austrex run?”

Something in Datura’s expression cooled dangerously, and Nate wondered if he’d perhaps made a mistake in bringing it up. It was a hard memory for any of the crew who had been around at that time. A job a few years back where they had not only lost all of their investment in the run, but had gotten nine of their smugglers killed in the process. Datura had rushed the job without enough planning and it had ended in disaster.

“This isn’t the Austrex run,” she said stiffly. The playful fire was gone from her tone, though after a moment, she settled back, relaxing again. “Just because I made a mistake then doesn’t mean I’m making one now. This will go fine. You’re worrying for nothing.”

Nate thought of reaching for his brass, but he knew a lost cause when he saw one. Perhaps if he’d been better at Allomancy, he could have steered this conversation from the start, found a way to get Datura to listen to reason. He never seemed to want to try Soothing until a conversation had actually gotten away from him.

Besides, he told himself, brass or no, there’s probably no chance Dat would have listened anyway.

“I hope you’re right,” he said, somber as he admitted defeat here. “By the Lord Ruler, Dat, I hope you’re right and all of this goes exactly as you want it to, and that I was worried for nothing. I’d like that more than anything, but that’s not what will happen from my perspective.”

Datura softened, giving him a smile twinged with pity. They both knew who’d won the argument. “Listen,” she said, demeanor softening slightly. “If it makes you feel better, even if I didn’t think Ignas was a good alliance, it’d still be the right move to make.”

He frowned as she stood up and crossed the room to stand by him. “In what way?”

“Like him or not, Ignas is changing things and the rebellion is more of a force than it ever has been before. Tides are going to rise, and I’d rather be the ones riding the wave than being swept beneath it. Believe me, this is for the best.”

He shook his head, but he had to admit her last point had merit. Still, what were things coming to when they would be forced to work with a man like that? It boded ill for all of them, even if Datura couldn’t see it.

Well, that was his job. Always had been. Watch her back and keep the crew safe, even when she lead them into danger. At least the last few decades had given him plenty of experience in that position.

He had a feeling they were going to need all the edge they could get in the days to come.

Edited by FeatherWriter, 17 July 2017 - 04:35 AM.

#2 KChan

Lord Prelan

Posted 16 July 2017 - 02:30 AM

Nathan is great, and I love his dynamic with Datura. Can't wait to write with him! Approved! One more to go!

Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Moru

Tineye

Posted 17 July 2017 - 04:34 AM

Nathan is going to be awesome. Excited to see him with Dat.Approved!

Posted Image

Posted Image

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users