The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

Mistborn Series © Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

House Creation Guide

4 replies to this topic

#1 KChan

Lord Prelan

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:21 PM

Welcome, one and all, to the MBI House Creation Guide! Here is where I, your guide to the madness, will explain to you how our system of player-run houses works and how you can participate in it. Interested? Keep reading for everything you need to know!

#2 KChan

Lord Prelan

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:33 PM

House Creation FAQ

Have any questions before getting started? Read on for more information!

Do I absolutely have to submit a house application if I'm not part of someone else's house?

You do not! If you made your own character, belonging to their own house, and you'd rather focus on plotting for just that character, you don't have to write an app for them at all. House apps serve two purposes on MBI:
  • Serving as a reference for other players, so we can quickly read up on information that our characters might have access to in-world, and:
  • Opening up plotlines that span across the membership of not only one whole noble house, but the rest of Luthadel as well.
If neither of these things sound like something you're interested in, you're welcome to forego the app entirely and continue on with your character. However, if you'd like to continue, read on!

How much work is running my own house?

Basically, as much or as little as you make it. If you're only submitting an app to be used as reference material but don't plan on taking on any large-scale plotlines with the house as a whole, then once your app is accepted, you're done! If you want to dive head-first into plotting and interacting with the Great Houses, that will of course require a lot more effort and collaboration. There's room for people of all comfort zones!

Can I make a Great House?

Yes and no. Currently, all Great House slots are full, as the Admins have capped the allowed number at 10. However, that can and will change over the course of the RP - and as old houses fall, the Admins will be choosing established player houses to replace them. Read on for more information on how that works!

Which application template do I use?

For Great Houses and Great House Candidates, use the Extended Template. All other houses must use the Basic Template when first submitting for approval. If you want to edit in the Extended Template after approval, you are welcome to do so - just let the admins know beforehand.

#3 KChan

Lord Prelan

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:58 PM

Important Guides to Read

Yes, unfortunately, writing your own noble house requires doing a little bit of homework. As MBI has grown and our plotting and scheming have become more complex, we’ve realized the need for a few standardized systems to help us keep everything consistent and organized. These systems aren’t purposely designed to make your life more complicated, but rather to break down the intricacies of a noble house into recognizable and understandable chunks. While, of course, reality is much more nuanced than a few categories and numbers, this system does serve as a solid basis on which to describe where your house stands compared to others.

These systems are:

• Wealth and Power - Because financial wealth and political clout go hand-in-hand in the Final Empire, we’ve developed the Socioeconomic Rating System to describe where exactly any particular house stands in the hierarchy.

• Diplomacy Ratings - The Diplomacy Rating System is a way to describe your house’s reputation with the other houses present in Luthadel. Since relationships are usually more nuanced than merely “good” or “bad,” these categories exist on a scale from “I will protect you with my life” to “Get off my lawn before I set you on fire.”

• House Classifications - While in-world, the classifications are “Great Houses” and “Everybody Else,” we’ve come up with a few categories of our own to help people define where their house fits into the grand scheme of things.

• How to Become a Great House - If you want to take a place among Luthadel’s elite, the Ascension Guide is the thread for you. This guide lays out the steps you should take to be considered, and what happens should you succeed - or fail.

#4 KChan

Lord Prelan

Posted 15 August 2017 - 12:23 AM

Things to Consider When Creating Your House

This is by no means an exhaustive list, but rather an overall glance at a few main areas to help you get started.

• The current state of Luthadel, including politics, trade, and overall plot happenings. There are already several houses dealing in weapons, for example, so making another house trying to sell them in Luthadel might not net your house much support. If you’re not sure who deals in what, check the house index or ask around. Competition is good, but we also want to make sure we get a good variety represented in the world.

• Sustainability and Survivability. Can your house’s chosen trade(s) actually support a family of the size and wealth you’re envisioning? If not, you might want to expand and diversify. How are your house’s military forces? How many Allomancers do they have? All of these things will affect your house’s chances in Luthadel, and how you write them.

• Plotting potential is, of course, important as well! Your house’s size, trade, and political affiliations will affect what its members will be doing, who they are more likely to be interacting with, and what their ever-important marriage prospects will be. This is a great place to start worldbuilding your house if you’re not sure where to begin.

#5 KChan

Lord Prelan

Posted 27 August 2017 - 07:46 PM

Submission, Approval, and Editing

Ready to post your house application? Awesome! Follow these steps to make sure you get approved in a timely manner.

• As a reminder, make sure you’re using the right application template. Only Great Houses and Great House Candidates should be submitting for the first time with the extended template. Everyone else, please use the basic one when first applying. You can edit in the extended template once you’re approved, if you really want to use that one.

• When submitting your house, post a new topic from your Out-of-Character account with the house’s name as the topic title. For example, “House Venture,” “House Sureau,” etc. Like with the Player Characters forum, do not post in any of the subforums, but in the main forum itself.

• The staff will read and review your house and either approve it as-is or ask you to make changes. Once you’ve made the appropriate edits, please reply to the thread so we know to check it again.

• Once two staff members have approved your house, the topic will be moved to the appropriate subforum and your house will be official. Congratulations!

• To edit your house thread after approval, contact a staff member to unlock it for you. Make sure you let them know what edits you plan on making, such as “I want to use the extended application now” or “I need to add a new player character to the list.” When you hear back that the topic is unlocked, make your edits and then reply to the PM letting us know when you’re done so we can lock it again. This is to keep track with who is changing what in their house threads.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users