The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Ollie

2 replies to this topic

#1 Ollie

Steward in Training
  • Age28

• Relationship StatusSingle

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusKnown to a few

Posted 19 December 2017 - 03:50 AM

OLLIE
Skaa Tineye

Posted Image

Name/Handle: Martín / Daydam
Contact: The way of my ancestors, or course; Mate-enhanced telepathy.

Posted Image

Name: Ollie
Type: Skaa
Place of Origin: Luthadel
Relationship Status: Single

Posted Image

Type of Powers: Misting
Metals Used: Tin
Degree of Skill: Advanced

Posted Image

Ollie is a 5.7 feet tall skaa with a particularly distinguishable feature; his left arm ends right above where the elbow should be, due to an accident when he was a kid. He has a square face, with a medium round nose and clear blue eyes. He keeps his brown hair short, and has a slight stubble.

Ollie doesn’t really like to stand out among the other skaa, so he doesn’t really care for keeping himself clean of ash. He doesn’t smile very often, and tends to walk slowly, looking down but paying attention to every sound around him, which can make him pretty jumpy.

Posted Image

Ollie is a kind, brave skaa. Earn his trust, and you’ll have earned a terribly loyal ally. He’ll do anything for those close to him (specially if you’re a skaa named Kess), but he’ll also become dependant on them. He deeply fears being abandoned, so letting go of other people can prove quite difficult for him. Because of this, he tries his best not to form bonds with other people, staying alone most of the time and talking to others as little as he can.

Even though many kids mocked him for his missing arm when he was younger, he has learned that it doesn’t make him worse than the others. However, he tries to deviate people’s attention from that arm as much as he can, since he doesn’t like to stand out.

Ollie’s heart is a mess. Having been abandoned by his parents was painful, but when Kess left the tenement he felt his heart simply shattering. Even years after that, he’s still trying to find her. Meb’s death was also a turning factor, which gave him more responsibilities in the tenements, and made him closer to the skaa in there. As a result, any kind of threat on the tenements can make Ollie extremely aggressive. It’s the only thing he has left, after all.

Posted Image

Special Skills: Running, spying

Strengths: Ollie is really agile, which allows him to make his way through Luthadel with ease, even in crowded areas. His strength also helps him in fights, though he doesn’t have a lot of practice. His skills as a Tineye allow him to spy others and gather information without even being noticed.

Weaknesses: Even though he’s strong, Ollie’s missing the lower half of his left arm, which proves to be an inconvenience when fighting, trying to climb, or simply grabbing heavy objects.

Kess. Just thinking of her makes Ollie unpredictable. Even after all these years, he still hopes to see her again. And if he does, who knows what could happen?

Posted Image

The fire. The pain. The unforgettable feeling of a life being changed forever.

Ollie was only 3 years old when he lost his arm in the explosion. He Snapped there, but all that was important at the moment was his left arm. His parents rescued him and desperately tried to stop the bleeding, doing their best to keep Ollie alive. He had lost too much blood, however, and fell unconscious. They took him to Meb, a caring woman who took care of parentless children, in hopes that she could help him recover. Besides, even if he survived, his missing arm would be the perfect excuse for any noble lord to execute him for being useless. He would need a safe place to live, and Meb's tenement was perfect for it.

Ollie woke up two weeks later, with a clean rag covering his wound, tied tightly with an improvised strip of cloth. He felt weak, his left arm throbbing with pain. Meb told him what had happened at the factory, and how worried Ollie's parents had been about him. She told him they had left him there, with her, to make sure he had a better life than them. Ollie knew the truth, though; his parents had abandoned him because he was broken.

The first months in Mab’s tenement weren’t easy. The other kids stayed away from him, calling him an “irregular” due to his missing arm. Meb tried to make him feel better all the time, but it seemed impossible to do. How could she? She just couldn't understand what it felt like.

A few months later, a baby called Kess came to the tenement. She had a green eye and the other one brown. Ollie hated her. Just looking at those eyes reminded him of his own defect. She was an irregular, but at least she would be able to work when she grew up. He was condemned to be a beggar.

As time passed, though, Ollie’s attitude toward the girl changed. To the other kids in the tenement, they were both the same. He still resented her a bit, but he didn't really show it. At the age of ten, Ollie saw a group of kids hitting Kess. Before he could even think of what to do, he found himself shoving himself into the middle of the fight to take Kess away from there. She was still crying when they got to Meb. There was something else, something aside from the pain of the beating. Had she just said she felt something warm within her?

She had. Kess was a Smoker.

During her recovery, Ollie visited Kess many times. He didn't completely understand why he cared so much for her safety. Was it the fact that she was an irregular, just like him? Was it the feeling of usefulness he had felt when he saved her from the other kids? Was it the look in those special, intriguing eyes of hers?

“Why do they hate us?” Kess seemed still scared, even though it had been almost a week after the beating.

“We're different. It's just that.”

Ollie felt the same way she did. He felt there was something wrong with him. But at this moment, seeing her like this, he knew what Meb had been trying to do when she said they were special. The difference was he knew what it felt like. He could really help Kess.

“Look... I know how you feel, Kess, but Meb is right. We may be different, but that doesn't have to be a bad thing. It's only bad if you let it become that. I found it difficult to believe at first, but she was always right.”

Incredible. He had spent so much time suffering for what he was, and now he had told her the exact thing he had always refused to believe. Did he truly believe it? He looked at the girl's eyes and found hope in them. He found peace. Finally.

He had to believe. For the two of them.

Ollie smiled at Kess. “Hey, besides, you have an advantage. If you want to be normal, you can simply cover one of your eyes.” He moved her hair in front of her left eye, still smiling. “See? Perfectly normal. If you don't see that as an advantage, then tell me, how am I supposed to hide my missing arm?”

Kess looked at his left arm, which ended abruptly where there should have been an elbow. She met his eyes, apparently worried. Finally, she started to smile. Yes, he thought. We are special.

“They don’t need me. They’ve got Meb and they’ve got you, and they have each other.”

Kess was leaving. Was she falling in love with that criminal Mav? No. That couldn’t be. Lord Ruler, it just couldn’t.

“You’re wrong, Kess. They need you.” Ollie hesitated. At eighteen, he felt much more like a regular skaa than an irregular, and it was all thanks to that girl. She had showed him what he could really be. What they could be. And now she was leaving? Abandoning him, just like his parents had when he lost his arm? No. I won’t allow it. “I need you.”

“For once in my life, I feel wanted, Ollie. I’m going.”

There was no time to be subtle. The idea of her leaving him alone again made Ollie feel angry. He hated Mav for taking her away. But he hated himself even more for not having dared to show his true feelings for her.
“If this is the only time you’ve felt that way, Kess,” he punched his single fist into the wall, scraping his knuckles, so that blood started to flow. He didn’t care. All he cared about was that girl, leaving him. “Then I’ve been failing everyday. He wants your copper, Kess. I want you.”

“You don’t know him, Ollie, you don’t know that.”

“Neither do you.”

Meb didn’t resist. She would miss Kess, Ollie knew that, but she wouldn’t force her to stay. As Kess passed him, Ollie turned to her, taking her by the arm and pulling her closer. He quickly moved his hand to her back, holding her as tightly as he could. He had thought that giving her one last hug would make things easier, but now that they were both so close together all he felt was pain. He whispered in her ear, trying not to let her see the tears forming in his eyes.

“To say that I will miss you is the greatest understatement I could make. You have been fighting the good fight, defying the nobles by helping the children, and Meb, and me build lives that have happiness and hope.”
Ollie relaxed his arm a bit and looked at her, gently pressing his nose against hers. Could she see the tears?

“I hope I see you again.” His voice came out soft, almost broken. “I hope one day we’ll fight together.” He hesitated, looking down at her lips. He was so close, he could have just kissed her. He wanted to. No. That will only make the two of you suffer even more. “I… You know where to find me.”

He released her, looking away as he held his left upper arm. He didn’t look back up until she had left.

The first few months after Kess left were hard; Ollie felt alone once again, abandoned. But things would be different this time. This time, he wouldn’t just give up. So, he started training every day. If Kess had gone with those criminals, maybe someday she’d come back looking for help. When that day came, he would be ready. Ollie also helped Meb at the tenement as much as he could. She was the only one left for him.

As the years passed, Ollie didn’t stop training. He was fast and strong, and had also become a very skilled Tineye. He still thought of Kess every day. He had found out some information; she had left Mav’s crew two years after leaving Meb’s tenement, and had disappeared after that.

Ollie needed more information. If she was out there, alone, he had to find her. He would go out often, trying to find Kess, or at least get some information on her whereabouts. Whenever he came back to the tenement, he’d ask Meb if Kess had come back. Unfortunately, other than the occasional “oh, I think I saw here a few days ago” from some skaa in the city, he never got any useful lead.

Ollie was 21 when Meb died. He was devastated, but didn't let the others see him as weak. He kept taking care of everyone with a few other skaa from the tenement, doing his best to preserve the place Meb had spent so much time and effort in.

At the age of 22, Ollie finally heard something good; apparently she had joined Datura’s crew a few years ago. At first, he got the idea of joining the crew just to see her again. However, he realised that would be just stupid. She was fine. She hadn't come back to see them, but she was fine. That would have to do for now. Ollie had other things to worry about, other people to be there for back in the tenements. If she ever needed help, though, he would be there to help. So, Ollie stayed at the tenements, taking care of everyone, with the hope that someday, hopefully soon, he would see her again.

Posted Image

She was gone. Why should he care? She hadn’t cared about him. About Meb. About anyone in that place. No. That wasn’t right. This wasn’t about Kess leaving the tenements, it was about her leaving him. After all these years, after finally overcoming the fact that his fathers had abandoned him, Ollie was all alone once again.

He turned to look at Meb, who was standing behind him, looking through a window with a smile on her face. She turned to look at him, as if she had felt his eyes on her. “Don’t be sad, Ollie”, she said softly. “She’ll be fine”.

“I don’t care” he said quickly, trying to seem strong, but his words came out broken. Lies. I do care. I want her back. I need her back. “Do you… do you think we’ll see her again?”

Meb turned her head back to the window, her smile dampening just slightly. “I don’t know”. Ollie felt his heart shattering slowly. She wouldn’t come.

Meb’s voice interrupted his thoughts.

“Maybe she will. Maybe she’ll be back tomorrow, or the day after. Maybe she’ll come in ten years. And you know what? We’ll be here, waiting for her”.

“Why? She abandoned us. She doesn’t deserve it”. Lies again.

“We will be here, waiting for her,” Meb said, turning toward him, smiling again, “because that’s what we do. We care for our people. And I know, Ollie, that you care for her, too”.

Meb started walking toward the door slowly, leaving Ollie alone in the room, looking down. She’ll be back, he thought. Kess would come back someday. Did he want that? She had abandoned him, hadn’t she? Why couldn’t he hate her? Why couldn’t he at least resent her, feel the same way he had felt when his parents had left him with Meb?

That’s when the answer hit him.

Because this time, I can do something about it.

Kess didn’t hate him. She didn’t really want to abandon him. Somehow, deep inside, he knew that for a fact. She would be back someday. And when that day came, no matter what, he would be ready for it. He would hold her once more. He would protect her once more. And even more important than that, he wouldn’t let her get away again.

Edited by Daydam, 19 January 2018 - 06:32 PM.

#2 KChan

Lord Prelan

Posted 17 January 2018 - 12:35 AM

Ollie is fantastic! I can't wait to see him in the RP! :D There's just one thing I'd like to see addressed in his app before he's all set to go, and that's how he survived the explosion that took his arm. Without any sort of medical care he likely would have bled out - so even if he was just rescued by another skaa nearby knowing to apply a tourniquet and Ollie himself getting really lucky with avoiding infection, that's totally fine, I'd just like to see that answered. Pending that addition, he'll be approved by me!

Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Moru

Member of Lucille Deveaux's Book Club

Posted 21 January 2018 - 02:28 AM

Generally with RP Samples we ask that they're relatively recent to the character's history rather than years back, but I think that this RP Sample really does work for this character. It gives us a good idea of the turning point for him, so I'm going to let it go.

I also like how you've edited surviving the explosion, because if KChan hadn't mentioned it, I would have.

It's an approval for me.

Posted Image

Posted Image

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users