The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

Mistborn Series © Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Arrival at Fellise

Private Noble W2 D4 EA Elliott Faarskar Avril Sorelle

44 replies to this topic

#21 Elliott Faarskar

Steward in Training
  • Age18

• Relationship StatusSingle

• OriginMantiz, Western Dominance

• Allomantic StatusKnown

Posted 29 April 2018 - 07:45 PM

Avril’s answer brought beautiful images to Elliott’s mind. Sneaking through the manor in Mantiz with his siblings when he was just a kid, trying to see the balls. Watching his parents dance among the nobility, drawing glances from everyone else. A night, ten years ago, spent dancing with his sister Freya while the music played in the hall below them. They had been far from perfect, as they had both stepped over each other many times. Still, it had been a magical moment, and it was now one of Elliott’s dearest memories.

Elliott smiled, his face lighting up.

“Don’t worry about stepping over me, Lady Avril”, he said, trying to hide the mixture of happiness and nostalgia those memories had caused. “The most important thing to do is simply enjoy the moment as much as you can”.

He grinned once again, a habit he had clearly gotten from his father, and then took another bite of his sandwich. This meeting had been unexpected, but he was happy about it. He still thought there was something mysterious about Avril, but she was definitely a kind noblewoman. Of course, maybe Elliott was just being too innocent. His father didn’t trust Jasper Sorelle for some reason. A voice in his head told Elliott to stay away from Avril, but he pushed that thought aside almost instantly. For now, he wanted to believe he had met a kind noble lady at his new home.

#22 Avril Sorelle

• Improverished Noble

Sureau Assassin
  • Age19

• OriginLynwood, Eastern Dominance

• Allomantic StatusMisting

Posted 29 April 2018 - 09:40 PM

Even when talking about the possibility of stepping on his toes, Elliott looked perfectly happy and comfortable at the prospect. He was so different from anyone she’d met so far in her life . . . not that the list was long. He said the most important thing was to enjoy the moment as much as you can . . . He might’ve only meant it with respect to dancing but it resonated deeper with Avril. He couldn’t know what a reprieve this visit had been for her, that it was a moment she wanted to enjoy as much as she could before it inevitably ended and she had to return to reality.

She took a sandwich for herself, and had a few bites of the fresh turkey and apple before setting both it and the tea down on the table.

“I have one other public space I’d like to show you,” she said rising to her feet with a bit more energy in her movements, and a bit of excitement on her face. She grabbed a handful of her skirts to keep her from tripping as she led him from the sitting room down the hall.

She stopped when she came to a white door with carvings of music notes. She flashed Elliott a grin before opening the door.

A small crystal chandelier hung in the center of the room, a white medallion on the ceiling just above it, with a variety of instruments in relief. White chair rails similarly molded carried images of harps and pianos, drums and violins, flutes and music notes all around the room. A white grand piano sat in one corner, with a bench comfortable enough for two. A harp occupied another corner, with a small stool for the player. Along the far wall were display cases meant to house any instruments the family brought with them here, from cellos to horns. The bottom of each shelf was lined with felt, meant to cushion the bottom of any instrument stored there.

“I was supposed to leave this as a surprise for you, Lord Elliott,” she said looking from him to the wooden floor and back up again, her eyes still bright with excitement. “But I couldn’t resist.”

She hoped he found the music room pleasing. Lord Faarskar had requested it especially for him.

#23 Elliott Faarskar

Steward in Training
  • Age18

• Allomantic StatusKnown

Posted 30 April 2018 - 11:05 PM

Lord Ruler…

The music room left Elliott breathless. From the crystal chandelier hanging from the ceiling to the beautiful harp in the corner, everything about this room was perfect.

He walked slowly around the room, feeling the beautiful chair rails with his fingers, until he got to the majestic white piano. He put his hand on it, feeling the instrument, before looking back toward Avril.

“This… this is beautiful”, he said, his voice barely coming out as a whisper.

He quickly sat on the bench, opening the fallboard, and played just a couple notes. The sound was warm and inviting, and it made him want to keep playing for the rest of the day. The room, the instruments, it was all so incredible… Father made this for me. The thought brought images to Elliott’s mind; dancing around the house by himself, playing the violin, watching his parents dance… He had loved music his whole life. Having a room entirely dedicated to it was almost unbelievable.

Elliott had to steel himself as much as he could to avoid getting overwhelmed by emotions. Still, a single tear rolled down his cheek, but he wiped it before Avril could notice it. Steady, he thought, breathing in sharply. He couldn’t let Lady Sorelle see him like this. He still didn’t know the noblewoman that much, and didn’t want to let his emotions flow so freely around her. He closed his eyes for a second, trying to compose himself. He played a couple more notes on the piano. Even if he wasn’t playing a proper song, the sound soothed him.

After a moment, he turned around, smiling softly, making an effort to hide the tears in his eyes.

“Thanks for showing me this”, he said softly. He breathed out slowly before speaking again.

“Do you play any instrument, Lady Avril?”

#24 Avril Sorelle

• Improverished Noble

Sureau Assassin
  • Age19

Posted 01 May 2018 - 12:09 AM

He was quiet for a few heartbeats, moving about the room, touching the sculpted details along the wall, until he reached the smooth white surface of the piano case. His voice emerged again, so low it was almost a whisper, a secret admission of love for the space. Where Avril had hoped for smiles . . . she’d gotten something more. Something deeper.

He immediately sat down and opened lifted the cover cover from the keys, his fingers moving gracefully to play a few notes, the rich sound reverberating through the room. The act was, perhaps, the best sign that he was happy with the room, that he made himself at home without any hesitation. A few more notes drifted from the instrument, reaching her ears, the vibrations touching her skin, moving through her.

Looking at his back, she thought perhaps he wanted to be alone, now, that he might let his fingers dance across the keys and lose himself in the music, not unlike how his eyes had closed and he let the melody inside of him flow out of the violin out into the great hall. She took one step backward, than another, her slippers moving lightly, as quietly as she could manage. But then he turned around, and that soft, quiet voice found her ears again, the words themselves a kind of music.

He asked if she played anything. She bit down on her lip, her gazes settling on the wooden slats underfoot.

“I . . .” she took a breath and looked back up at him, her own blue eyes held a touch of sadness. “When I was a child, I had started to learn the piano,” she swallowed, “but my practice was cut short. Things changed . . . and it was no longer a priority.”

He didn’t need to know how the instrument had been carted away against her will, how she’d tried to keep the men from taking it, how she’d stood in front of it, determined to defend it a little girl against forces bigger and stronger. How she’d cried and cried when it had been taken anyway.

She took one step closer, than another.

“I don’t think I’ve retained any skill, I haven’t set my fingers on a piano in a decade or so.” She summoned up a small smile, weighed down a bit by painful memories.

“But I would love to hear you play.”

#25 Elliott Faarskar

Steward in Training
  • Age18

• Allomantic StatusKnown

Posted 06 May 2018 - 11:30 PM

Her expression darkened as she mentioned her childhood. Things changed… He had brought her memories of her mother’s death. Again. She smiled, but her eyes still lingered in sadness.

He had to stop and think for a second when she asked him to play. He looked down, ashamed for bringing up such painful memories once again. A part of him wanted her to play, to experience music by herself again after so many years.

The other part told him to start playing.

Elliott smiled softly and nodded toward Avril without saying a word, quickly turning around to face the piano. He didn’t have nearly as much practice with it as he had with the violin, but surely he’d be able to improvise something. He only needed to find a good starting reference.

Avril. Her emotions would work perfectly. Even if she didn’t play the piano, she would feel the connection to it again. Elliott would make sure of that.

He stopped burning his bronze and closed his eyes. For a brief moment, he felt insecure to have a Pewterarm behind him and not being able to sense her Allomancy if she suddenly attacked, but he quickly discarded that thought. She wouldn’t do it.

He lowered his left hand on the piano, gently pressing a key. Its sound made its way through the room, soon accompanied by others as he pressed a few keys with his right hand, one at a time. He waited for the sound to resonate in there before starting to play again. A soft, slightly melancholic melody took form as he let his mind drift away through different images. He saw Avril’s eyes when she spoke of her childhood, and imagined her as a child, crying in her room, hugging her father.

He thought of what she had said about dancing with Lord Jasper, the noble lord making her step on his feet to guide her, and he could almost see the scene. His body tried to change the pattern and perform something a bit happier, but the thought of her never dancing again after that day was enough to keep the sadness in his song. His fingers relaxed for a moment, making the melody even softer, almost as if the piano itself was starting to cry.

I need more. Something more personal.

Elliott didn’t have many sad memories. He had lived a happy, easy life in Mantiz. Of course, not everything was perfect. He wasn't perfect. He wasn’t his brother.

His improvisation became a bit darker, angrier, as he started comparing himself to Darius. Darius was the great heir to House Faarskar. He was a Mistborn.

Elliott’s fingers moved through the piano on their own, guided by his feelings, expressing a mixture of sadness and anger. Darius was talented, passionate and kind, but he could also be relentless whenever he needed to. He was imposing, and everything he did denoted power and security.

Why couldn’t Elliott be like him? Why did he have to be just the kind, innocent musician?

The music stopped abruptly, its final tones echoing across the room.

You’re Elliott Faarskar, my little brother, a good musician and an Allomancer. Plus, you’ve got far more charisma than I do. I get nervous in every ball, you know? Meanwhile, you get everyone’s attention with no effort, and always impress everybody.

A tear rolled down Elliott’s face as he remembered his brother’s words.

Yes, you’re not super strong, and you won’t be able to soar through the skies as if you were flying. But you don’t need that. You are what you make of yourself.

He wasn’t Darius. He was Elliott Faarskar. Nobleman. Seeker. Musician.

And so far, you’ve made yourself...

"Awesome".

His hands started moving again as he smiled, the melody returning to the room. Even if the song was still the same, its tone had changed completely, now warm and calm. He tapped the keys softly, his emotions driving the music to a different ending this time. A happy one.

He remained sitting there, completely still, as a few tears rolled off his face and onto the keys. As he realized it, Elliott lifted a hand to wipe the tears on his face, and used the other one to wipe the ones on the piano.

“It still surprises me sometimes,” he said, still looking down at the piano, his voice soft but surprisingly confident, “how powerful music can be”.

#26 Avril Sorelle

• Improverished Noble

Sureau Assassin
  • Age19

Posted 07 May 2018 - 03:11 AM

Without a word, and with a hint of a smile, Elliott turned back to the keys and obliged her. He pressed a single key, then another, and another, letting the sound filter through the room. Then his fingers began to dance across the keys, weaving a tapestry of elegiac sounds. She did not tear up, but that didn't mean she didn't feel the emotions swirling around her, touching her, moving through her.

Again, she was struck by his talent. There was something magnetic about it. She stepped closer to the piano, to him, not directly behind but rather off to the side, visible in his peripheral vision.

The music changed. The threads darkened, grew more aggressive - and quickened - in a way she hadn't heard from him thusfar. She wondered where that was coming from, when Elliott had been so kind, and pleasant, if quietly sad for a few moments.

The music stopped dead, the final notes traveling across the room and fading to nothing. She remained silent, her brows knitted together. She wasn't sure if he was okay, she wanted him to be okay, she didn't mean to bring anything negative to mind when she asked him to play. She hovered near the piano, close but not too close, conscious of his personal space.

She saw a tear slide down his face, and her worry intensified. She didn't know what was going on, she only knew what came through the deft fingers striking the keys.

He said s a single word.

Awesome.

Yes. Yes, he was. Yes, his talent was. Based on what he'd said earlier, she figured this was another case of improvisation. Another impressive case of creating music out of the ether, out of emotions he was feeling or had felt before and referenced in the moment.

He took up the instrument again, and his lips curved into a smile once more. The tone had shifted, the the anger and sadness had drained away and something warm and light took its place. She breathed easier as the piece came to a sunnier close. His face was wet with more tears, and despite the happy end, she worried at that. She couldn't be sure if the move from negative emotions to more upbeat ones had been a genuine indicator of what was happening inside him, or if he had become conscious of her in the room and changed gears for her benefit.

He spoke softly, his gaze on the majestic white piano that he had made sing.

"That it is, Lord Elliott," she replied quietly. She took a deep breath, then moved to sit on the bench beside him. She took only the amount of room she needed, so as not to take too much space, or make him feel as though he had no room.

Butterflies in her stomach, she steeled herself again with a tiny pewterburn. She placed her hand beside his, so the side of her little finger brushed his own. She turned to look at him, her blue eyes gentle, a bit of concern within.

"Are you okay, Lord Elliott?" her voice was barely above a whisper.

I didn't mean to send you down any painful paths.

She shifted her eyes to the smooth keys, of bone and ebony. She missed the feel of them beneath her fingers, missed the way it answered each touch with a well of sound. Her eyes returned to his face, and she wondered if she had done wrong, if she had damaged a moment meant to be joyful.

Edited by Mora, 07 May 2018 - 11:22 PM.

#27 Elliott Faarskar

Steward in Training
  • Age18

• Allomantic StatusKnown

Posted 09 May 2018 - 02:58 AM

Lord Ruler, this was a mistake.

Elliott felt Avril’s hand next to his, her eyes staring at him, but he didn’t dare look at her. How could he have been so stupid? He barely knew her, yet he was sharing his music, his feelings, with her. He wanted to get up and find an excuse to leave her there. He wanted to smile and pretend nothing had happened.

He also wanted to trust her.

“I’m fine”, he said, finally gathering the courage to look at her. Avril’s blue eyes denoted sincere concern. She couldn’t possibly be one of those terrible two-faced nobles his father had mentioned, could she? He found himself trusting her eyes, her voice. Avril was truly kind. He just knew it. Elliott held her gaze, smiling. He did, however, move his hand away from hers subtly.

“To be completely honest with you, I was hoping for my music to make you tear up”. He looked down at the keys on the piano, blushing, and chuckled. “I just didn’t expect it to affect me as well”. Elliott burned bronze, and the familiar warmth in his stomach made him feel more secure. He breathed out heavily and looked at her. His smile turned into a full grin once again.

“Well, I believe I succeeded anyway”, he said suddenly, making an effort to hide his anxiety. “After all, you’re here, sitting in front of a wonderful piano once again after all these years.” He looked at her hands, then his own, and finally looked at her pretty blue eyes again.

“I won’t force you to play, Lady Avril, but I’m pretty sure you want to do it. We can even leave if you feel uncomfortable with Veeras and I inside the room”. He looked at the steward, who still stood next to the door, carrying his violin. The Terrisman nodded at him, and Elliott nodded back, then turned toward Lady Sorelle, waiting for an answer, or maybe -even better- a melody.

#28 Avril Sorelle

• Improverished Noble

Sureau Assassin
  • Age19

Posted 12 May 2018 - 02:38 AM

Touch was a strange thing.

It had so many powers. The power to soothe and comfort. The power to inflict pain. The power to cause awkwardness and discomfort. The power to convey love and care and even more than that. Avril was familiar with most of these kinds of touches, though the latter had never been in a romantic sense. She knew what it was for open palms to slap, curled fists to punch, rough hands to drag, and booted feet to kick. But she also knew the feel of her little brother’s hands, of his fingers twined with her own when most of her energy had been drained away, and the only thing she could manage was to curl up into a ball and burn Pewter to fuel the healing process. In those low moments, feeling his hand on hers brought her a measure of comfort, made her feel loved, and reminded her of why she subjected herself to the pain. She would do whatever it took to keep Aric safe, to spare him suffering.

Avril wasn’t offended when Lord Elliott withdrew his hand. It had been bold of her, to put forth that touch, however slight. They’d only just met, so it wasn’t a surprise that it didn’t provide even a sliver of comfort . . . it probably activated the opposite emotion, considering what a stranger she was. She hoped only that he understood it had come from a place of concern for his well being. She took his smile and the eye contact as a good sign in that regard.

Her own lips curled upward when he said he’d hoped to move her to tears. She shook her head lightly, happy to see the blush on his face again. “Please do not mistake a lack of tears for a lack of feeling. I am not easily moved to cry.”

Since the very day her piano was taken away, she actively tried not to cry, even when in pain. But sometimes agonized sounds would escape her throat, without her permission.

Elliott invited her to play, and encouraged her to do so. He even offered to leave the room if she wanted privacy. He didn’t know the significance of what he offered her, how she hadn’t felt the keys beneath her fingers in so long, how she hadn’t so much as laid eyes on a piano in years. She bit her lower lip and beheld his kind face, the patience there as he awaited her answer.

“Please don’t leave,” she said, her eyes flitting from Elliott to Veeras and back. She took a deep breath and looked at the keys, silently praying that she had enough memory to get by.

“I was only a little girl,” she said quietly, “so I never gained any true skill at composing,” she glanced at Elliott, embarrassment making itself known in a swath of pink across her cheeks. “I hope you don’t mind children’s songs.”

She looked back to the piano and began a familiar tune, often taught to novice players but with an optional layer of complexity in the duet version. It started with with three bright, clear notes. This tune, at least, came back, and a smile spread across her face as she eased into the notes that came after, the playful spirit coming through the sounds, as her fingers tried to remember how to dance across the ivory and black. She messed up a couple of notes as her fingers tripped over each other, failing to perfectly keep up with the music in her mind. But she laughed and shook her head, continuing on anyway.

She was afraid to pull her eyes away from the keyboard, but she risked a look at the young Lord beside her. “Am I moving you to tears with the simplicity?” She looked like she might laugh, like her eyes already were.

#29 Veeras

• Elliott Faarskar's Steward

Riordan Casuana's Reputation
  • Age35

• Relationship StatusEunich

• OriginTathingdwin

Posted 12 May 2018 - 05:32 PM

Veeras followed the orders given to him, holding the violin when instructed to and giving it back when he was told. Master Elliott's playing was improvised and Veeras did what he could to keep up as the young musician played. Transcribing wasn't easy, and transcribing directly to the copper ring on his left hand was even more difficult. However, he had enough that he should be able to recreate it later and write it down for future generations.

Watching the interactions between the two young people was awkward to say the least. Did neither of these nobles have any experience in interacting with those of the opposite gender. Veeras kept his tongue, but there seemed to be some sort of attraction between the two. It wasn't necessarily romantic - yet - but they seemed to be building up quite the rapport quickly.

Following along as Lady Sorelle began to show them the rest of the house, Veeras couldn't help but be marveled at the excellence of the construction. House Sorelle certainly knew how to do their job well. The tour ended in the music room, and it took all of Veeras' skill to keep from gawking. It was a beautiful room, and at the center of it all, a beautiful instrument.

Master Elliott began to play, and a brief smile came to Veeras' face as he listened, again, transcribing what he could into his coppermind. It was difficult work, but perfect pitch helped. As he finished, Master Elliott was moved to tears. Veeras himself knew how much music could effect the performer as well as the player, especially when that music came directly from the heart. The changing melody showed that this was something coming directly from the young nobles soul.

Lady Sorelle took a seat next to him, reaching out to touch his hand. Elliott pulled back.

Oh, Lord Ruler! Are all young nobles so awkward with each other!

Then the young lady finally decided to play. It was a simple tune - a song taught to young novices, with an optional duet component for more advanced students. Despite all of her talk that she hadn't played in a long time, she played it well. It wasn't perfect, but then again, it shouldn't be. The way she looked at Elliott afterwards, suggested humor.

Lord Ruler, Master Elliott, take the hint. Play the duet with her!

Even though he was marveling at the awkwardness in his head, Veeras kept a straight face. Perhaps the Lord and Lady would develop a relationship, perhaps not.

#30 Elliott Faarskar

Steward in Training
  • Age18

• Allomantic StatusKnown

Posted 17 May 2018 - 03:06 AM

Elliott knew the song. He had played it many times during his childhood, when he started to learn how to play the piano. That had been even before he got his first violin.

Avril’s performance wasn’t perfect, but her face showed him just what he had expected to see; she was truly enjoying the experience. She laughed, ignoring her mistakes as she kept playing, and Elliott couldn’t help but smile as he saw her playing.

There’s only one way to make it better.

Elliott had once tried to play a duet with his sister Freya. A few minutes later, he had been playing by himself as she danced around the piano, frustrated for her own inability to coordinate her hands. Now, he had a chance to finally play a duet with somebody.

Elliott hesitated for a moment before putting his hands on the piano; this was Avril’s moment. Maybe he should just stay quiet and listen to her. A part of him, however, wanted to be a part of her experience, not just a witness. He finally decided to play simple chords, to let her have the main melody as he just filled in the silence. His fingers pressed the keys gently as he formed simple chords to accompany Avril’s melody, and he let her lead them both, adapting his speed to match hers, and pausing whenever she made a mistake. Elliott took brief moments to glance at the noble lady beside him, laughing, smiling, enjoying. Music, once again, was proving how magical it could be.

Edited by Daydam, 17 May 2018 - 03:07 AM.

#31 Avril Sorelle

• Improverished Noble

Sureau Assassin
  • Age19

Posted 26 May 2018 - 05:58 PM

The first note to emerge from fingers other than her own reverberated through her. It filled in the emptiness, enriched the sounds her own playing unleashed, and stirred something inside of her. She gave Elliott a bright smile of gratitude before turning her eyes to the keys, wanting very badly to minimize her mistakes now that a master musician had joined her.

It was unlike anything she’d ever done. Even if this was merely a children’s song. Even though she didn’t have a deep library to draw from. Even though whatever skills she’d cultivated had become rusty over time.

Yet, he was holding back, and she knew it. She thought that might be painful for him, given all the talent in his fingers, in his keen ear and sense of rhythm. Her inexperience had trapped him, like a caged bird without any space to fly. It was wrong. Despite how wonderful it felt to share the song with him, she couldn’t let it progress this way, not if it was wearing on him like she thought it might be.

Her gaze on the keys, she played slower, until a few heartbeats later the music faded to nothing. As the silence grew, she kept her eyes downcast, on her own hands. Her unpracticed hands.

“Please forgive me, Lord Elliott,” she said softly, forcing herself to look back at him, where he sat beside her.

“I didn’t meant to limit you as I did. I’d never intentionally cage your talents so . . . I wish I had more to offer than the melodies of childhood.”

#32 Veeras

• Age35

• OriginTathingdwin

Posted 27 May 2018 - 01:37 AM

As Elliott began to play with her, Veeras smiled a real smile. It took a little longer than normal for the Terrisman to assume his normally stoic face. It wasn't perfect, but often the beauty of the music was in the imperfections of the piece. The small mistakes were what made the piece alive and unique to everyone who played the piece.

Lady Sorelle was clearly unpracticed, but the ability she showed after having not played for so long suggested talent, and Veeras definitely believed that talent should be cultivated, if for no other reason than it seemed like the Lady enjoyed playing. She clearly missed playing.

Master Elliott definitely had stronger skills, but he displayed the skill of a true accompanist. He followed Lady Sorelle's lead with skill. He played not to show off his skills, but to allow her to show off hers. It was an endearing move whether or not the Lady realized it.

As they finished, Lady Sorelle offered her apologies at her lack of skill, and Veeras wondered briefly if she felt embarrassed by her performance. Veeras had honestly been impressed, not because she had held on to so much, but her simple music had come from the heart.

Veeras felt like speaking, but it wasn't his place. Yet, Master Darius had told him to speak his mind more often.

"Lady Sorelle, if I may, sometimes the most beautiful melodies are the more simple ones, and the ones that come from the heart," he said, and then slowly turned his face. Speaking had felt weird to him. He gave a bow and continued. "My apologies, my Lady, but I've been told that I should speak my mind more often. I hope I have not offended."

He turned to Elliott. "Master Elliott, if you have no need of me, I will go check on the progress of the moving of your possessions."

#33 Elliott Faarskar

Steward in Training
  • Age18

• Allomantic StatusKnown

Posted 27 May 2018 - 09:26 PM

Elliott felt the tension rising as Avril’s song slowly faded away. She apologized, and Elliott felt guilty once again for ruining the moment. He had been right. This had been Avril’s chance to reconnect with music, and he had ruined it.

Great, Elliott, he thought, looking down. First you make her think of her mother, and now this.

“I-”

Veeras’s voice interrupted Elliott before he had a chance to speak. Was he speaking without permission? To Lady Sorelle? Veeras had always been a quiet steward, waiting for Astor Faarskar’s permission before saying anything, and now he did this? Elliott wasn’t offended at all; the Terrisman’s words, though unexpected, soon proved to be the wiser than anything Elliott himself could’ve said. However, he couldn’t help feeling surprised. Only now he started to realize how little he knew about the man, even after the years he had spent being the family steward.

Veeras turned toward Elliott before speaking again.

"Master Elliott, if you have no need of me, I will go check on the progress of the moving of your possessions."

The nobleman blinked, composing himself, and straightened his posture before speaking.

“Go, Veeras. Just leave the violin here”, he said, looking at his instrument, still held by the steward.

“And, Veeras”, he added, his voice sounding a bit more softly. “thanks for your words. Once again you prove your wisdom. I’m starting to see why my father trusts you so much”.

Elliott nodded to the Terrisman, smiling softly, and then turned toward Lady Avril.

“There’s no need to apologize”, he said. “Like Veeras said, the best melodies are those that come from the heart. Making mistakes is natural, but even in them I saw your joy. That’s what made it magical”.

His smile quickly disappeared, and Elliott blushed at his own words, suddenly feeling dumb for getting so emotional over a simple children’s song. She had felt the magic, but she didn’t understand it. Most people thought a good song had to be played masterfully, but the true secret was in the emotions put into the melody, and how they reflected on the audience.

He looked back at Avril, trying to focus his mind on the magic he had felt when she started playing. He didn’t want to think about how he had ruined it.

“I’m sorry” he said, a smile reappearing in his face. “I shouldn’t have interrupted your art. It was your moment. Nonetheless, I have to say I really enjoyed playing with you. Feel free to come back whenever you like. Maybe we’ll even play another children’s song”. The young nobleman grinned. Even if he had ruined the moment, he had enjoyed playing with her quite a lot, and was sure that she had enjoyed as well, at least for an instant.

#34 Avril Sorelle

• Improverished Noble

Sureau Assassin
  • Age19

Posted 27 May 2018 - 10:15 PM

Once her apologies had faded into quiet, like the final bars of their duet, Lord Elliott’s steward spoke up, with words of encouragement. Blush on her face, turned her head to behold him. She offered a slow nod of gratitude. “Thank you for your kindness, Veeras. You need never apologize for speaking to me,” she said with a small smile. “Offense is the opposite of what you’ve given.”

Veeras inquired about taking his leave, to seeing to the moving process that was currently underway, beyond the four walls around then. Lord Elliott granted it, but requested to keep his violin here, in the room meant to be a home for it.

Before the Terrisman could leave, Elliott expressed some gratitude and appreciation of his own. Avril was so glad to hear it, her heart felt different, fuller, but with a bit of pain. Her father was so harsh with Heved, he wouldn’t have reacted the same way if he had entered into a conversation he wasn’t a part of. There would have been a price to pay, instead of thanks given.

A few moments later they were alone . . . she’d never been alone with a young man around her age before.

She swallowed. She’d been so fortunate today, to be on the receiving end of benevolent words and deeds. But she knew her time was running out. Reality beckoned just beyond the tall, carved doors of the manor, with its cold claws. She didn’t want to go. But Aric was waiting for her, Aric who relied on her for guidance and protection and familial love.

The young nobleman turned his attentions back to her. He told her there was no reason for her apologies, that mistakes were normal, that her joy shone through it . . . and made it magical. Joy . . . Magic . . . those were not words ever associated with her. His cheeks reddened, and she wondered if the shade matched the color on her own face.

His smile faltered, and he averted his eyes but then brought them back to her, his lips softly curving upward. A quiet sort of sadness was reflected in his face, the true happiness he’d felt earlier upon discovering the music room had retreated.

He said he was sorry, that he shouldn’t have interrupted. She shook her head lightly. That wasn’t what he’d done at all. Forgiveness wasn’t warranted for there had been no sin. She’d silently hoped he’d join in on the song, and he had granted that wish without being sure it was there in the first place. He gave her an open invitation to return, and she hoped she’d be able to take him up on it, hoped her father would allow it. Perhaps if she’d said it would help keep them top of mind for a contract . . .

“I . . .” she started, her voice low. She managed to curl her lips into a small smile of her own. “I had hoped you’d join me in the duet, Lord Elliott. I’m grateful that you did. I’ve never had the pleasure of a duet before.”

Isolated as she was, there were many pleasures she hadn’t experienced.

“Perhaps one day I’ll be worthy of sharing a song with you.”

Her eyes drifted down to her hands again, like the answers were on her pale flesh somewhere.

Edited by Mora, 27 May 2018 - 10:27 PM.

#35 Jasper Sorelle

• Broken Man

Sureau Assassin

Posted 28 May 2018 - 06:23 PM

Upon inquiring at the door as to the whereabouts of his daughter, Veeras, Lord Elliott’s steward had offered to bring him and Aric to her. Even though Jasper was familiar with the layout of the house, as he oversaw the design and construction, he accepted the offer, as was proper. The finished work was now in the hands of the clients, which made him a guest - so he would be sure to behave accordingly. He no longer had free reign to roam as he might, to pick out opportunities to perfect where two pieces of molding joined in a corner, to move an armchair a little to the left, or to tell the cleaning crew they could up the shine on a stretch of flooring. Now instead of surveying his surroundings as the fruit of Sorelle craftsmen’s labors, he had to shift his mindset, to that of a noble visiting another Lord’s home. That shift never fully took, especially on the heels of a project’s completion.

As they came to the white door carved with music notes, he mentally grumbled that he should’ve known she’d defy his instructions to leave this room for Lord Elliott to discover on his own time. He’d never understand why obeying him seemed so damned difficult for Avril. All she had to do was avoid this room, and the bedrooms - the latter command based on propriety. He didn’t expect her to violate that specific instruction as she had respect for societal norms . . . even if she didn’t respect him the way he deserved. He’d deal with that later . . .

The door opened with only the slightest sound, as the brand new hinges had been freshly greased. In one of the far corners of the room, he spied that portion of her light golden strands that wasn’t tied back spilling over the ivory and blue of her day dress. For a moment she was in profile, her gaze cast down towards the piano. She looked so much like Ashley then, in that second, in a dress she’d worn for many afternoon teas with other fine ladies . . .

The second Faarskar son was similarly in profile, their faces angled toward each other, the keys stretched out just beyond them, the bench shared between them.

“I should’ve known I would’ve found you at the piano,” he said with a booming laugh, and a smile that set his blue eyes twinkling, highlighting the shallow lines of crows’ feet that surrounded them. He stood tall and straight, clad in a suit of navy blue, with a matching waistcoat, and a crisp white shirt underneath. The gold chain of a pocket watch peeked up from its designated pocket. His dirty blond hair was neat but loose, falling over the edges of his collar. Aric ran out from behind him, dressed in a similar fashion to his father, his own blond hair cut shorter. He had a toothy grin on his face as he looked at Avril, and Elliott, and back at Avril.

The father and son pair offered little bows to the representative of House Faarskar, as Avril slid off the bench to stand, already burning pewter. Unlike before, this was no mere pulse, but a steady burn.

“I hope my Avril didn’t give away all of the home’s surprises with her tour,” Jasper said, still the good-natured Lord, as he inclined his head toward his daughter.

Avril blushed, her eyes moving towards the floorboards beneath her feet before lifting her chin and answering him. “After Lord Elliott was kind enough to share his skill with the violin, I couldn’t help but show him the music room.” She glanced toward the young Lord. “Lord Elliott is also a master of the piano.”

Avril’s excuse wasn’t enough in itself. Disobedience was disobedience. He hadn’t asked for her opinion, for her read of the situation . . . But the Lordling’s opinion of the situation did matter, in the scheme of things. The fact that she was still in his company was likely a positive thing . . . pity he wasn’t the Mistborn heir of the House . . .

“I hope I’ll have the opportunity to hear you play sometime,” Lord Sorelle said, his twelve-year old heir nodding his agreement with more gusto. “For now, it’s on to Luthadel!”

“I’m sorry I lost track of time, father,” Avril apologized with a slight bow of her head before turning to Elliott for likely the last time in a while. “I do hope you enjoy your new residence.” She dipped into another curtsey, clutching the blue fabric of her skirt as she did so.

“Yes, Lord Elliott. I pray you like it here very much - if anything is in need of repair, please do reach out to me and I will see it fixed right away. Please send my regards to your family.”

Mostly your father and his heir.

The Lords of Sorelle offered their bows, before taking their leave. The youngest of them looked back with curiosity, before being herded away by his elders.

#36 Veeras

• Age35

• OriginTathingdwin

Posted 02 June 2018 - 10:22 AM

Veeras nodded at the comments in silent thanks, moving then to place the violin beside the piano and taking his leave. He went outside quickly to check on the progress. Thankfully, the servants had been hard at work and most of the unloading had been finished. Veeras was just about to speak with the servants when a man and his child approached.

He introduced himself as Jasper Sorelle, and Veeras didn't have to go through his metalminds to know who the man was. Jasper was the Lord of House Sorelle, and Lady Avril's father. After telling Veeras that he was looking for his daughter, Veeras offered to lead Master Sorelle to the music room. That task accomplished, and Veeras was back with the servants, giving direction for the completion of the move.

It appeared that only his possessions had to be brought in, and as a Skaa servant picked up his violin case to deliver it to his quarters, Veeras spoke.

"I will take that," Veeras said, taking the case from the Skaa. "I should see my own living space as well."

Of course the second part was just an excuse to carry the instrument himself. There were very few people that Veeras trusted with his instrument. His hands itched to remove the instrument and play through what Lord Elliott had played earlier, but he waited. He still had much work to do.

After the violin was put away, Veeras wandered around the house, checking in on Skaa servants and making sure they were putting items in their proper places. As house Steward, he made sure to remind the Skaa to be careful as they moved some of the more fragile items.

Veeras then returned to the music room to updated Lord Elliott on their progress, as he did, a trio began to exit the room. Lord Jasper, Lady Avril, and young Aric exited the room, and Veeras gave them a bow of respect.

#37 Elliott Faarskar

Steward in Training
  • Age18

• Allomantic StatusKnown

Posted 02 June 2018 - 05:39 PM

Elliott wasn’t expecting Lord Sorelle’s arrival. The head of House Sorelle was just what his father had said; he seemed to be a kind nobleman, but there was definitely something else hiding behind that smile. The way Avril lowered her eyes, how her attitude changed when she saw him. There was something strange going on with that family. Elliott thought maybe Jasper was using Emotional Allomancy on her, but the only pulses he heard came from Avril herself. She was burning pewter once again. Just like each time he had made her feel depressed.

Jasper Sorelle didn’t seem to give much importance to Elliott. Yes, he spoke kindly and respectfully, but he seemed to have paid much more attention to his daughter and her apparent disobedience. Of course, Elliott couldn’t blame him. After all, he wasn’t as important as his brother. Lord Sorelle was probably just trying to cause a good first impression; Elliott’s father had probably shown the Lord how little he trusted him. He could be quite harsh sometimes.

As the Sorelles left, Elliott sighed, closing his eyes for a moment before standing up and leaving the room. He found Veeras standing at the door, looking at the nobles leaving the manor.

“Father was right, Veeras”, he said after they left, still looking in the direction they had gone. “There’s something wrong with Lord Sorelle. Same goes for Avril, I’m afraid”.

#38 Veeras

• Age35

• OriginTathingdwin

Posted 02 June 2018 - 11:21 PM

Veeras maintained his bow until the trio had left, and soon thereafter Master Elliott appeared. Once again, Veeras bowed as his Lord spoke. Veeras had heard similar things from Elliott's father, but he never really had proof - just conjecture. He did however trust the judgement of his employers, but still it was worth cautioning them against rash behavior.

"To me, he seemed a normal Lord, but I did not get the chance to really interact with him. The move in is ahead of schedule, so I would be able to advise, but without knowing what is causing your unease, I'm afraid I will be unable to help much."

It was a true statement. There was much more to the situation than met the eye. Both father and son wouldn't have commented on it anyways, but Veeras had recalled the words an author who said something to the effect of it was a mistake to theorize without facts otherwise the theorist would find facts to support their theory rather than making theories to support facts.

#39 Elliott Faarskar

Steward in Training
  • Age18

• Allomantic StatusKnown

Posted 03 June 2018 - 08:00 PM

Elliott couldn’t avoid being concerned. Avril seemed like a kind, innocent noblewoman, even considering whatever it was she was hiding. And she was hiding something. Elliott was sure of that.

Jasper Sorelle, however, made everything worse. Veeras’s words were true; he did seem like a normal nobleman. But the way Avril had spoken when she saw him, the way she had looked down…

And the soft rhythm of pewter.

“There's something going on with Avril, Veeras”, Elliott said absently. “I wouldn’t have noticed if I hadn’t been burning bronze”. He took a second to think of each time the noble lady had burned pewter that day. His arrival had been the first moment, but he couldn’t know for certain if she had been tired, trying to improve her equilibrium, or what.

Every other moment, save for Jasper’s arrival, had been whenever Elliott had asked her something related with music, or when she had thought of her mother. According to what she had shared with him, it was all related.

“Every time she got sad, she started burning pewter softly”, Elliott said. “When she spoke of her mother and her memories of dancing with Lord Jasper, I thought she was just trying to overcome the sadness”. It was a really interesting idea. Elliott had never seen Darius burn pewter that way, but of course, their lives had been happy. Could pewter be helping Avril take a better hold of her own feelings, as if she was Rioting or Soothing herself somehow? Or was it just the familiar warmth of Allomancy that made her feel better? Maybe it was something entirely different.

“When Jasper arrived, however,” Elliott continued, “she lowered her eyes and started burning pewter again, just like before. The way she talked changed quickly as well. I thought maybe Jasper was using emotional Allomancy on her, but she was the only one burning metals in the room aside from me”. He hesitated, and looked down. “I… I don’t really know. Maybe I’m trying to see more than there really is, but a part of me tells me there’s something else going on”.

#40 Veeras

• Age35

• OriginTathingdwin

Posted 08 June 2018 - 02:17 AM

Veeras listened intently as Elliott spoke. The young man was certainly very concerned about Lady Avril. Veeras himself had noticed a sadness in her - specifically in the way she spoke and held herself. It could have been interpreted as timidity, but Veeras could definitely see how his master had found sadness in her.

Elliott had good instincts. Perhaps it came from his musical training or his experience as a seeker, but the young man noticed patterns quickly. Making connections such as how her allomancy reacted to her emotions was skillful work. Veeras had no doubt that Elliott would have been a good soother as well.

Noise caught Veeras' attention. Skaa servants still moved about, getting Elliott's possessions to their proper places. Skaa were mostly docile, but a few had rebellious natures as history had taught, and the conversation that the two men were having was hardly for everyone's ears.

"Master Farskaar, perhaps it would be prudent to continue our conversation in a more private location," Veeras said, looking around to show his meaning.

After Elliott agreed, the pair went back into the music room, and Veeras shut the door behind them. He sauntered over to Elliot with his hands behind his back, putting together any pieces he knew to the puzzle. Jasper Sorelle was the head of House Sorelle and ran the Sorelle Building Company. He was a known widower. Veeras latched onto this. This would certainly explain Avril's sadness at earlier memories. It was likely the young lady still missed her mother greatly. But why did she do so when Lord Sorelle arrived? Perhaps Lord Sorelle had changed after his wife had died. If that was the case, it didn't bode well for his children, and Elliott was right to be concerned; however, it would be hard to prove.

"You are right to be concerned, I think," Veeras said softly. "There is a lot of pain in the Sorelle family, and it has perhaps affected all of them in a different way. You are seeing these differences in their reactions, I think."

Veeras paused, thinking about how he spoke. "Perhaps what Lady Avril needs, Master Elliott, is a friend. Someone she can trust and confide in. The young lady has already trusted you some, and maybe that in itself is her reaching out for help."

Edited by LordKronos, 08 June 2018 - 06:02 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users