The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

Mistborn Series © Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Arrival at Fellise

Private Noble W2 D4 EA Elliott Faarskar Avril Sorelle

44 replies to this topic

#41 Elliott Faarskar

Steward in Training
  • Age18

• Relationship StatusSingle

• OriginMantiz, Western Dominance

• Allomantic StatusKnown

Posted 14 June 2018 - 01:30 AM

Veeras's words were wise. Again. Lord Ruler, Elliott thought, looking at the Terrisman. Who are you, Veeras? The silent, respectful man had been his father’s steward for years, and Astor trusted him greatly. However, none of the Faarskar siblings had really paid attention to him, since he was often so quiet around them they would simply forget he was there.

Elliott was concerned about Avril. The young lady was so interesting in many different ways, he wasn’t sure if he wanted to know about the darkness behind her eyes. However, if there was something wrong with her, he wanted to know it. The most important lesson his father had ever taught to everyone in the family was that everyone deserved to be happy. For this reason, Elliott found himself compelled to help Avril.

The way Avril had lowered her eyes after the arrival of Lord Jasper and her younger brother still bothered Elliott. However…

“The boy”, he found himself saying. He thought of the youngest member of House Sorelle, grinning as he saw Avril. “Maybe after her mother’s death, Avril had to take care of him, filling in the place her mother had left, even though she was still too young. That would leave Jasper to teach him how to show power. He’d teach him the tough part of being a nobleman”. Elliott thought of his brother as he said that. Darius was really kind, but he could be awfully straightforward when speaking about tough matters. He could show incredible strength, but at the same time he was one of the nicest men Elliott had ever known. Darius had always said that Elliott was the charming one, but the young nobleman would’ve given anything to be as versatile as his brother. He had never found the inner strength to be as imposing as the heir to House Faarskar.

This isn’t about you, Elliott.

“Maybe that’s why Avril reacted like that,” Elliott said, looking at Veeras. “She was having a good time, enjoying something he hadn’t done for years, and all the sudden she saw them”. Elliott’s voice reflected his sadness as the young nobleman thought of the idea. Maybe he hadn’t ruined her mood by joining her song. Maybe he had made an even bigger mistake by reminding her of who she had once been, and how she had seen herself forced to leave herself behind to replace her mother. “I… I need to know if I’m right. Veeras, please, try to find out as much as you can about her.” He hesitated for a moment. “And try to find out how old her brother is, and how long has her mother been dead. It may help me understand her. For now, I’ll do as you said. If she needs a friend, she’s found one”. A part of him seemed to disagree. What would Darius say? He was trying to help a noblewoman he barely knew, whose father wasn’t to be trusted, according to Elliott’s dad. But still, he felt like this was the right thing.

Edited by Daydam, 14 June 2018 - 01:33 AM.

#42 Veeras

• Elliott Faarskar's Steward

Riordan Casuana's Reputation
  • Age35

• Relationship StatusEunich

• OriginTathingdwin

Posted 15 June 2018 - 04:18 PM

Veeras watched as Elliott pondered. There was much going through the young nobleman's mind. Indeed, Elliott cared deeply for this girl. That didn't mean there was a romantic interest, but Avril had somehow gotten into Elliott's head. This wasn't a bad thing necessarily. Veeras actually hoped that it would help Elliott find some peace away from his family - at least eventually.

Elliott was young, but he was already showing wisdom. Veeras knew the young Lord would often compare himself to his brother Darius, but in doing so, he often missed his own strengths. Elliott quickly came to the conclusion that Avril had likely become the mother figure in her house. Her childhood had ended early and she had to grow up quickly - a hard situation for any young person.

Veeras took Elliott's orders with a bow of the head. "Of course, Master Faarskar," he said, standing up straight. "Please know that it may take some time to find the answers you seek."

In reality, Veeras likely had most of the information in his copperminds, but just simply bringing out the information would be suspicious. Despite how much he trusted the Faarskar family, he still had to keep his feruchemy under wraps.

#43 Elliott Faarskar

Steward in Training
  • Age18

• Relationship StatusSingle

• OriginMantiz, Western Dominance

• Allomantic StatusKnown

Posted 23 June 2018 - 06:25 PM

“Thanks, Veeras,” Elliott said. “It hasn’t been even a day, and I’m already grateful for your presence here. I hope I’m not offending you, but I hadn’t expected to hear so many wise things from you.” He looked down, remembering the day when Darius had convinced their father to send Elliott instead of him, and how Veeras had agreed with that decision.

For the first time since their arrival, Elliott realized how tired he was. Avril’s unexpected visit, followed by all the mistery surrounding her, had kept his mind occupied. Now, even though he was still worried about her, his exhaustion came back to him. “I’m going to rest for a moment. Please, don’t let me sleep for too long. I want to take a walk around the place after I sleep.” He started to walk toward his bedroom, but then hesitated, turning around one more time. “Thank you, again. You’ve been really helpful, Veeras. I’m glad you came here with me.”

Edited by Daydam, 23 June 2018 - 06:26 PM.

#44 Jasper Sorelle

• Broken Man

Sureau Assassin

Posted 24 June 2018 - 12:36 AM

“Onward to Luthadel!” Aric exclaimed as they’d made their way out of the building to the carriage. Avril had only given him a tiny nod, the ghost of a smile, in response to his toothy grin. The twelve year-old’s enthusiasm wasn’t contagious, it seemed, even layering in the fact that he was too young to get anything out of the upcoming balls, and courtship was just ‘round the corner for her. Teenage girls were supposed to be excited about that sort of thing, even if the power to decide her fate rested with him.

She was quiet as they’d walked to the carriage and she’d remained so when she took a seat beside her brother on the bench across from him. But, Lord Ruler love him, Aric wasn’t having it.

“Did you get to play the piano?!” he asked, looking up into her fair face. His boy meant well with his question, but it tasted like acid on Jasper’s tongue.

“I did,” she responded, squeezing his smaller hand where it rested on the bench between them. “Just a tiny bit.” Her smile was subdued.

“I thought I told you to leave that room for Lord Elliott to discover on his own,” he said, staring at Avril, watching her turn her head to look straight in his eyes. No hint of fear on her pretty face.

“I was there. You were not. He brought his violin with him on the tour, and played an improvised piece in the Great Hall. He seems like he eats, sleeps, and breathes music. I thought it would be better if I brought him there, got to see his face when he took it all in. There was genuine joy on his face . . . and there may even be a stronger association with the Sorelle name as I was there for that moment, I took him to the door, and I opened it . . .” She closed her eyes for a moment, thinking of how happy he’d looked. How he’d let his eyes roam over all the details.

“If you could’ve seen his face, you would know I made the right choice.” She looked at him, determined as ever, a quality to words that wasn’t pleading, but rather emphasis, underlining that she knew what she was talking about whether he wanted to believe her or not.

He believed her.

He was pissed.

But he believed her.

“If I wanted you to exercise your judgment, Avril, I wouldn’t have given you explicit instructions!” he raised his voice at her, a barking in her direction. She didn’t shrink. The straight line of her lips twitched the tiniest bit, like she was adding strength to it, like one would bar a door against potential intruders.

“Next time, I expect you to follow my directions to the letter.”

She huffed in response. She opened her mouth to say something-

“Do you like him?” Aric cut in, changing the subject, his words full of cheer. He looked her over with a playful smile that said he had his suspicions on the subject.

“He was kind . . . moreso than I expected,” Avril said with a nod, looking at her brother’s sweet face before her eyes drifted downward. Her cheeks looked just a touch pinker, and her lips had shifted into a softer expression. A happier one.

“Men will however kind they have to be,” Jasper cut into the brother-sister moment, angrier than before given where his mind was going, “to get into your skirts.”

“This wasn’t anything like that,” she spat, her eyes shifting back to him, a disgusted look on her face.

“You need to be on your guard in Luthadel, Avril. You need to be strong. You can’t be smitten with every young man who says a kind word in your direction.”

She swallowed, still appalled. “I merely said he was kind. I think he’s actually nice. It didn’t feel forced. And I didn’t say I was-”

“Your cheeks went pink,” he growled. “I’m not stupid.”

“I didn’t say-”

“Musicians,” he grumbled. “Girls take to them easily. You’re not the first. You’re certainly not the last. You have the ride to Luthadel to get it out of your mind. We’ll be looking at heirs to Houses, Avril. Not second sons.”

She took a deep breath and crossed her arms, her lips gathered together in a pout. Like she didn’t like what she was hearing, or she didn’t want to hear it. What she liked didn’t matter. He was the House Lord. He knew best. She needed to take in what he was saying if she was to survive the season.

“If we’re lucky,” he added, as Avril stared out the window, purposely avoiding him. “He might say something nice about you to his Mistborn brother.”

#45 Veeras

• Elliott Faarskar's Steward

Riordan Casuana's Reputation
  • Age35

• Relationship StatusEunich

• OriginTathingdwin

Posted 30 June 2018 - 12:01 AM

Veeras nodded at the compliment. "Thank you, Master Farskaar. I certainly intend to do the best I can to assist you, and you have, of course, done nothing to offend me."

It was the answer of a Terrisman Steward, and Veeras was a Terrisman Steward. Outwardly, he kept his cool, but inwardly, he was elated at the praise coming from the young man.

As Elliott mentioned taking his leave, Veeras nodded. "It has been a long day, Master Farskaar, I shall wake you in a couple of hours."

Veeras bowed as Elliott left. A couple of hours would give Veeras enough time to get the rest of Elliott's personal possessions into the house. Thankfully, his master's bedroom was already set. After checking on the servants and making sure they were properly instructed on what to do, Veeras went to his own room.

He didn't have much. He didn't need many possessions. A chest carried some clothing and a jewelry box carried metalminds that he could use to store various attributes. Veeras sat down, moving a few things around his desk. Then his body deflated as he grew weaker, storing some strength in the pewter rings that he had placed on his hands before leaving for Fellise. A few moments later, he stopped filling the pewterminds and began arranging things around in his room.

First Veeras made his bed. Elliott had been right - it had been a taxing day. Veeras of course, could tap his bronzeminds to make it through and he did so now, feeling the tiredness of the day wash away. Lastly, he pulled out his own violin case.

During his service to the Farskaar's, Veeras had kept this hidden, mostly because he didn't want to flaunt his abilites. Veeras was very skilled, but this was a part of his life that he had kept to himself. Veeras opened the case, and checked the instrument. It had not been damaged during the trip to Fellise. The bow was also in good shape. The case had done its job. Veeras plucked at the strings, wincing a little as he did so. The trip had taken the instrument out of tune.

Veeras tuned the instrument and then began to play. He played quietly as to not disturb anyone. The piece he played was a simple etude meant for teaching students how to play a legato line. The simplicity of the children's piece that Avril had played had inspired Veeras to play this one. As a bonus, he didn't even have to pull it out of his coppermind to play it.

Eyes closed, Veeras immersed himself in the music, keeping quiet, but embellishing the simple melody as he played, making it sound more complex than it actually was. Veeras had meant what he said. Sometimes the simplest melody could be the most beautiful. The ones that came from the heart are what spoke to musician, and through the musician, their audience.

Veeras opened his eyes, realizing his volume had increased to to a mezzo forte. He quietly packed away his his violin and placed it underneath his bed for later. Checking the time, he realized that soon he would need to wake Elliott. First he had to go to the kitchens to make sure they were preparing Elliott's dinner.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users