The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Matarn Wachtrot-Coppercloud Prelan

prelan obligator smoker copper

3 replies to this topic

#1 Mailliw73

Riordan Casuana's Reputation

Posted 10 January 2019 - 02:09 AM

Matarn Wachtrot
Coppercloud Prelan

Posted Image

Name/Handle: Maill

Posted Image

Name: Matarn
Type: Obligator
Place of Origin: Northern Dominance
Relationship Status: Widower

Posted Image

Type of Powers: Misting
Metals Used: Copper
Degree of Skill: Intermediate

Posted Image

Prelan Matarn is a relatively average nobleman. He stands just under six feet tall and is slender. He has a bit of a paunch of a stomach from his many years in the office. He is bald as all Obligators are, with dusty blue eyes. He wears spectacles and has a face which is constantly pinched in thought. A scowl is the most frequent expression worn by Matarn, alternating with one of disinterest.

Posted Image

Matarn is pious to a fault. He never breaks rules and is one of, if not the, most devout obligator in the Steel Ministry. He believes in the Lord Ruler with all his soul, believing him to be the pinnacle of justice and right. He’s a somber man, very serious in all his endeavours. Prelan Matarn is very educated, having spent most of his growing up years studying to become an obligator. He is fastidious in every investigation he is assigned to and refuses to let his superiors down, seeing that as a lack of conviction in the purpose of the Ministry. He hates skaa with the passion that the religion inspires. He’s not an outspoken man, though he can be eloquent and long-winded when he is required to make an address.

Posted Image

Special Skills: Record keeping, investigation, writing, espionage, deceit

Strengths: Matarn is very good at maintaining efficiency in the Canton. He’s very detail-oriented and focuses on making sure all goes as it should. He works hard to facilitate inter-Canton communication and believes that the internal Ministry politicking is ridiculous. Obsessively loyal to the Lord Ruler.

Weaknesses: Matarn is not the most personable obligator. He is quite introverted, but only socially. He maintains communication with many obligators and nobles through letters, but doesn’t maintain many relationships in person. When it comes to actual combat, he tends to escape, having very little skill in the field.

Posted Image

Matarn was born into House Wachtrot in 877. His House is a minor one in the Northern Dominance. He was the third son to his parents and they, being very devout to the Lord Ruler themselves, raised him with much worship. They had always desired for one of their sons to take a role in the Ministry and when he expressed interest as a child, they latched on to it, providing all the resources they could to aid his studies. His oldest brother was tutored in economics and diplomacy and Matarn was taught in history and doctrine. As they grew, they began to sit in on each other’s lessons, hoping to gain what the other had. Lord and Lady Wachtrot wanted Matarn to join the Canton of Doctrine, but the more he learned, the more he wanted to join the Canton of Inquisition instead.

Matarn found the intrigue of Inquisition fascinating as he had always loved puzzles and riddles. He wanted to solve cases and had the idea of becoming a detective of sorts. His fanciful ideas of the Ministry were left in childhood, but the core ideas stuck with him. When he was 15, he underwent initiation as a full member of his House, involving the classic beating to reveal Allomantic abilities. He Snapped and became able to use copper. Matarn was disappointed in his metal because he thought others would be more useful to Inquisition. But he recognized it as a gift from the Lord Ruler and so he embraced his talent and began to work even harder to become an Obligator. He began visiting the various Canton buildings in Urteau and talking to different obligators about their assignments.

When Matarn was 22, he officially began training as an obligator and went through the initiate process. At the end of it, he was accepted into Inquisition and disavowed his Wachtrot origins. He was excited to join the Canton he had always wanted to be part of, but quickly found that it lacked the excitement he had imagined. He frequently spent shifts at various soothing stations throughout Luthadel, burning copper to hide the allomancy within. He was noticed quickly for his bureaucratic skills and was given important assignments in the Canton headquarters. He became obsessed with completing every assignment perfectly. He wanted to prove that he was worthy to serve the Lord Ruler.

At the age of 25, he met Lady Felici Arastan at a ball he was officiating. She was from an insignificant House, a vassal to House Venture, but she captivated him with her subtle manipulations at the ball. She would weave intricate and detailed, but brief, arrangements and have an obligator verify them. She often found herself many small court advantages, monetary and otherwise. When Matarn was once asked to verify one such deal, he was fascinated and began to be her obligator of choice. After frequent meetings and contracts, they were married two years after first meeting.

A year after their marriage, Felici gave birth to their daughter, Salema. She was Matarn’s top priority, following the Lord Ruler of course. He doted on his daughter when he could get away from his work. His relationship with Felici slowly became one more of contract than of love, though he never claimed he’d been in love even at the beginning. Matarn continued to work diligently, and by age 32, he was a Prelan.

Matarn, after becoming a Prelan, applied for and was transferred to the Undercanton of Stability, but after a year there, he realized that managing the Garrison was not for him. He transferred back to Inquisition and has stayed there since.

In his position as a Prelan, he oversees many of the new acolytes after their initial trainings. He interviews those seeking to join Inquisition and provides the first recommendation for their approval or rejection into the Canton. He occasionally is assigned to travel to the actual training locations and participates in the training itself(particularly when there are Smoker acolytes), but he isn’t fond of it. Matarn is also assigned back home to Urteau a couple times a year to work with the branches of the Ministry and important noble contacts there.

Two years ago, Felici died when one of her trickily worded contracts caught a nobleman unawares and he ended up owing her much more money then he had planned. Forced by the obligator who witnessed their contract to fulfil his end of the deal, unwittingly though it may have been, he contracted a killer for Lady Arastan. Matarn returned home after a shift at a soothing station late one night to find his wife murdered in their kitchen. He cleaned it up quickly and created a story to tell Salema about her mother’s death. Matarn was angry at the death of his wife, but accepted it as part of the Lord Ruler’s will for his life, knowing that there must be a reason for such brutality. He was able to accept it as a fulfillment of justice in her life. Salema was, understandably, much more upset and still has a hard time with the death. Matarn currently has hired a Terriswoman steward to teach and raise Salema while he works.

At the current time, Matarn continues his jobs as Prelan and has recently been appointed to be in charge of Inquisition’s inter-Canton communications. He is still assigned out to soothing stations once or twice a week.

Posted Image

Edited by Mailliw73, 10 January 2019 - 11:24 PM.

-Mailliw73

-Player Characters-
Wilor Zerrung, Prelan Matarn (Workshop), Rikor (pending acceptance), Kler

House Zerrung

Archived (for now):

Aspir Elariel (WIP), Lord Gustav Bulvier (WIP), Maxill Seraphino (Under Revision), Abryn Zerrung (Still Writing), Rasdon (WIP)

#2 Abraxas MacGuile

Skaa

Posted 10 January 2019 - 03:07 AM

In short, somebody Cassandolia should avoid without Caedrus around.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
See you somewhere, somewhen.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Xeno: Be sure to check AGM out on FFN!
Me: How'd you get here!?
Xeno: Planeswalking. *Pins me to wall with Atavarr's Personal Gravitational Upset.*
Me: You're still mad about what I said!?
Xeno: Yup, but not for much longer. See ya. *Leaves.*
Me: Hey!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1 Hour Later....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alchema: *Arrives, looks at me, and groans.*
Me: Um, mind helping me out here?
Alchema: Sure thing, AGM. *Runs off to find Xeno.*
Me: Where are you go- *Spell wears off. I faceplant.* -OW!

#3 Mailliw73

Riordan Casuana's Reputation

Posted 10 January 2019 - 11:23 PM

Matarn now has his History finished.
-Mailliw73

-Player Characters-
Wilor Zerrung, Prelan Matarn (Workshop), Rikor (pending acceptance), Kler

House Zerrung

Archived (for now):

Aspir Elariel (WIP), Lord Gustav Bulvier (WIP), Maxill Seraphino (Under Revision), Abryn Zerrung (Still Writing), Rasdon (WIP)

#4 Abraxas MacGuile

Skaa

Posted 11 January 2019 - 06:56 PM

I noticed!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
See you somewhere, somewhen.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Xeno: Be sure to check AGM out on FFN!
Me: How'd you get here!?
Xeno: Planeswalking. *Pins me to wall with Atavarr's Personal Gravitational Upset.*
Me: You're still mad about what I said!?
Xeno: Yup, but not for much longer. See ya. *Leaves.*
Me: Hey!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1 Hour Later....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alchema: *Arrives, looks at me, and groans.*
Me: Um, mind helping me out here?
Alchema: Sure thing, AGM. *Runs off to find Xeno.*
Me: Where are you go- *Spell wears off. I faceplant.* -OW!

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users