The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

113 replies to this topic

#1 Kaylen Hasting

Obsidian Swords

Posted 07 July 2010 - 08:11 PM

Kaylen strode through the square, his overcoat taking the worst of the ashfall. Whilst it was impossible to stop it falling, the skaa did a remarkable job of keeping the square as clean as possible, for the benefit of the nobles that frequented it. And for what? Why should the skaa clean the ash from our areas, and allow it to cover their own? Why should cleanliness be restricted to the nobility? As he walked, he instinctively burned copper, and then from behind his protective curtain, bronze.

There were around ten noblemen and women in the square, and no fewer than three of them burned bronze as Kaylen passed, trying to see if the nephew to Lord Hasting was in fact an allomancer, as the rumours suggested. But Kaylen had not come to Ahlstrom to be probed by Seekers. He had come here to gather information about the political standing between houses, on order of his father. Having been back in the Southern Dominance for a few years, Kaylen was slightly out of touch with recent standings. And he figured that with House Casuana's ball looming, now would be a perfect time to reacquaint himself with Luthadel politics. Taking a seat on an empty, ash-free bench, he waited to see who would approach him, and which Houses they represented.
Characters

- Kaylen Hasting; Noble Mistborn

#2 Nevan Venture

• Heir to House Venture

Lord Prelan
  • Age19

• Relationship StatusSingle

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusKnown

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:03 PM

"I'm telling you, man," Aldwin continued, "She can't be that bad. You know how women are; they turn to incessant chatterboxes once they get within ten feet of each other. I'm convinced the only cure is to separate them all."

"Oh?" Nevan asked, amused that his friend would even think of such a thing. "And wouldn't that put a damper on your socializing?"

"Hmm, true. Well," Aldwin sighed dramtically, "It's a sacrifice that must be made for the sake of my best friend and his lovely lady friend! When's the wedding, hm?"

"Knock it off," Nevan told his friend, giving the other man a gentle shove. "We're not getting married. This whole thing is just a gesture of goodwill between our Houses, to see whether an alliance can actually happen or not after what Casuana did. With Hasting practically banging in the front door to snatch up that contract, we have to consider every option carefully."

"Yeah, yeah," Aldwin laughed, "I know. It's just---- hey now. Look over there. Guess who's back?"

Nevan blinked, and looked in the direction his friend was pointing. "Is that Kaylen Hasting?"

"Sure is," Aldwin agreed with a grin and a nod. "C'mon, let's go catch up."

And then, before Nevan could say anything else, there went Aldwin, forcing Nevan to follow.

"Heeeey," his friend was saying by the time Nevan caught up. "If it isn't Lord Hasting himself, come back from the south. Welcome home!"

"Sorry to interrupt," Nevan apologized for his overenthusiastic companion. "I trust the journey went well?"

Posted Image

#3 Phyra Venture

• Rogue Venture Mistborn

MiBoam Obligara the Inquisikandra

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:21 PM

Phyra Venture paraded into the square. The dress she wore today was a pale blue, embroidered thickly with dark blue, and was very nearly modest.

At least, It would have been, had the skirts not been so sheer. The ensemble was sleeveless, but had long gloves, also richly embroidered. The dress was tight throughout her midsection, emphasizing her figure, and embroidered flowers made her bosom more obvious. Not that it needed accentuation.

The square was relatively empty. Only a handful of high nobles in sight. She had come in the hopes of catching Aaron Elariel before the ball, but he didn't seem to be around.

Her cousin and the Tekiel heir were chatting amiably across the square with someone hidden to her.

She admired Lord Tekiel's backside. There was one she intended to trip into bed.

Her viewing concluded, she found the park bench that was closest to the center of the square. A spot where all could view her and despair.
Her copper burning, she rioted the square softly. Her favorite emotion.

People would need to know she was there, after all.

Other Characters: Brand,Valkyn Venture, Fenna, Lian Vaunter

#4 Kaylen Hasting

Obsidian Swords

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:34 PM

Kaylen, burning tin as usual, was eavesdropping on the surrounding nobles. Most of the talk came from a group of four noblewomen in the corner, discussing dresses and such for the upcoming ball. However, two men caught his attention when he heard his House mentioned. "... With Hasting practically banging in the front door to snatch up that contract, we have to consider every option carefully." He looked over with a sense of apprehension, and sure enough, a young man from House Venture, Nevan, approached, with Aldwin Tekiel leading him.

Kaylen was instantly on guard; tension between Venture and Hasting was high, he was sure of that. Flexing slightly to check the position of the two obsidian swords strapped to his back, Kaylen extinguished his tin and bronze, keeping his copper up in case one of them was a Soother or Rioter... then decided against it. If he proved immune to their emotional allomancy, that would mark Kaylen as a mistborn, or at least a Smoker. Uncle wants to secure Casuana's voided contract with Venture. I think a small amount of courteousness would be welcome, even if he is a Venture.

Aldwin arrived first, and greeted Kaylen with what seemed to be a bit too much of an enthusiastic greeting. "Heeeey, If it isn't Lord Hasting himself, come back from the south. Welcome home!" Kaylen gave a nod, and waited for Nevan to arrive before replying. "Lord Tekiel, Lord Venture. The journey was pleasant, thank you. I trust all has been well in Ludathel since my departure?" Suddenly, he felt a Push on his emotions. Burning bronze, he inspected the men in front of him, but neither of them were pulsing. Standing, he offered them both a seat on the bench, and also turned to view the entire square, for he could feel no pulses. Mistborn.

When his eyes fell upon her, he was visibly shocked, just for a fraction of a second. Phrya Venture was wearing a stunning blue dress, bordering the line between modesty and seduction, and bordering it beautifully. She had to be the source of the Rioting, for Kaylen did not remember himself admiring her so much before he left Luthadel.
Characters

#5 Nevan Venture

• Heir to House Venture

Lord Prelan
  • Age19

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusKnown

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:41 PM

"Well enough," Nevan replied courteously, but was distracted by a sudden Pull on his emotions. Someone was manipulating them with allomancy. And since none of his present company were even of the proper gender to spark such feelings in Nevan, he had a good idea who was doing it.

Sure enough, there was Phyra, as indecent as ever. It still boggled Nevan's mind as to how someone raised in House Venture could parade about in public in such a blatant lack of clothing. Thankfully, she was looking in their direction - probably ogling Aldwin or Kaylen - and so he shot her a sharp look.

Cut it out, his eyes clearly said.

Posted Image

#6 Aldwin Tekiel

• Heir to House Tekiel

Lord Prelan
  • Age20

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:45 PM

"Things around here've been pretty nuts," Aldwin continued in Nevan's place. His House was friendlier with Hasting anyways, so hopefully he'd be able to cool some of the tensions a bit. "You know how it is, the typical politicking and backstabbing and Inquisitioning. You haven't missed much, except a few dead nobles and an Inquisitor chatting it up here in the square the other day.

"Looks like we've got company," he observed, giving his purposely messy coat a shrug and deliberately avoiding the gaze of the person behind them. Nevan had warned him about Lady Venture's habits, and Aldwin was only happy to steer clear. "Too bad I'm no Smoker. That gets really annoying after a while."

Posted Image

#7 Phyra Venture

• Rogue Venture Mistborn

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:50 PM

Nevan stepped aside and turned to look for her, revealing Lord Kaylen Hasting standing by them.

So, he's come back. He couldn't resist me after all. The man had beautiful shoulders and eyes intense and intent. A fruit ripe for plucking. The corners of her mouth twitched into a smile.

Nevan flashed her a look. The look. The one that meant Stop. She hated that look.

Fine, I'll stop rioting him, but not those two. She waved to the three of them, inviting them to join her.

She wasn't the kind to move for others.

#8 Kaylen Hasting

Obsidian Swords

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:54 PM

Obviously Phyra was affecting the entire square with her Rioting, as Nevan shot her a sharp disapproving glance, and Aldwin seemed slightly uncomfortable by these new feelings. Kaylen turned on his copper, feeling a slight tinge of regret that he could not cover Aldwin as well. Their two Houses had been friendly in the past, and gestures of goodwill between friends would always be useful. His coppercloud made him immune to Phyra's zinc, and for a second he worried that using it might tip her off that he was mistborn. Ah well. he thought, she can't do anything with the knowledge. I know she's mistborn too, we're even. He turned to Aldwin, aiming to converse more with him than his companion. "Dead nobles and Inquisitors, you say? My my, maybe working the forges in the South was a bad idea. I have heard rumors that House Casuana fell victim to an assassin, is it true?" As he was talking, he noticed Phyra look in his direction and wave. He felt nerves building, but they froze when he noticed her lips twitch. She's happy to see me? Kaylen smiled internally as he checked his reserves of zinc, brass and copper. All three were high. This could be interesting...
Characters

#9 Aldwin Tekiel

• Heir to House Tekiel

Lord Prelan
  • Age20

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 07 July 2010 - 10:01 PM

((Kaylen, copper only shields its user from emotional Allomancy. While a Coppercloud would hide any Allomantic pulses that group emits, only Kaylen would benefit from being immune to Phyra's Rioting.))

Aldwin nodded. "Lucius Casuana was killed last year," he explained. "His son Julian and his wife Mia took over, but then the rebellion came back for more and took Julian out. Without an heir, that leaves Mia Casuana to lead the House. You know the one, right? Maybe you knew her better as Mia Deveaux, though.

"Anyways, Casuana still has some supporters, but it looks like some people are just waiting for Mia to bring the whole House crashing down."

Posted Image

#10 Kaylen Hasting

Obsidian Swords

Posted 07 July 2010 - 11:21 PM

Kaylen perked up at this news. Whilst he did not care that much for the implications these deaths could have for House Hasting, it showed that the rebels had achieved something, and had potential. Still, in the current company, it was best to hide his admiration for the rebellion. "That's quite the loss for Casuana, I wonder if Mia can cope with running the House, what with her father and brother gone?" He then turned to Nevan, a smile on his face. "House Casuana seems to be in a terrible situation with these deaths. House Hasting, however, is as stable and secure as always. Perhaps a mention to Lord Venture...?"

He left the statement hanging, and did something risky: Rioted Nevan's emotions. Kaylen had no idea of knowing how good Nevan was at sensing being Rioted, but Kaylen kept an extremely light touch, only ever so slightly rousing the young Venture's trust. Behind his coppercloud, Kaylen felt his meddling was sure to be invisible. Motioning towards Phyra, he looked at both of his companions questioningly. "Shall we greet your cousin, Nevan? I think it's fairly obvious we've seen her, and ignoring her would be terribly rude."
Characters

#11 Aaron Elariel

• Elariel Heir

Looking Good in Red
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusHidden

Posted 08 July 2010 - 01:55 AM

As they entered Ahlstrom square, Daerra placed a restraining hand on Aaron's shoulder, to prevent him from entering.

"What now?" he asked. He was still touchy from her long lecture after he nearly compromised one of their missions.

"Look before you speak," she whispered. Her loose gesture was as direct as a pointed finger to Aaron. "Over there stand Nevan Venture, Adlwin Tekiel, and Kaylen Hasting, some of the most powerful people our age in Luthadel. You should be in the group. But on the bench there's..."

"Phyra..." finished Aaron, feeling his stomach shift slightly. "What should I do?"

"Go and speak with your friends. I'll try to distract her." Daerra's eye brow twitched slightly, her equivalent of a frown.

Aaron nodded and left his sister to join the group of young men.

"Lord Hasting, it's been a while, you gentleman weren't discussing the Casuana ball by any chance were you?"

#12 Daerra Elariel

• Heir's Sister

Looking Good in Red
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 08 July 2010 - 02:07 AM

Daerra watched to make sure Aaron was properly accepted into the group before appoaching Phyra Venture. The woman was dressed horribly: like a promiscuous peacock. Despite the garish dress, Daerra felt a strange attraction to it, and the woman who wore it. Emotional allomancy? she wondered. She didn't sense any pulses. Either there's a smoker nearby, or that woman is a mistborn. If Phyra Venture was Mistborn, it could spell trouble. She would have to tread very carefully. She didn't need her bronze to tell which emotion was either being rioted or left unsoothed. It was he only one a harlot like Phyra Venture would care about.

When Phyra saw her, she gave her second best smile, "Lady Venture, I didn't expect to see you here. I hope you'll excuse my brother's behaviour. I'm sure he didn't mean to ignore you. You know men after all." Daerra give a little laugh and smoothed a hair back into place. The hair style she was currently wearing had been a possibility for the ball. It wasn't any more. As she raised her hand to her ear, she did another quick scan of the square. There were some ladies scattered about, but none of the important ones. Good, perhaps I can get out of this without any of them seeing me. She knew word would spread eventually, but she was Daerra Elariel. She could deal with words.

#13 Phyra Venture

• Rogue Venture Mistborn

Posted 08 July 2010 - 02:32 AM

Phyra's smile slipped as Dearra approached. The person she wanted to speak to least was, of course, the one who wanted to speak to her.

Couldn't she have sent her brother over instead? Phyra sighed.

"Lady Venture, I didn't expect to see you here. I hope you'll excuse my brother's behaviour. I'm sure he didn't mean to ignore you. You know men after all."

Phyra smiled. She burned brass, and ever so gently soothed the foolish woman's pride, contempt, and scorn. gently, pressure increasing slowly so the woman wouldn't notice it. She let the zinc diminish slowly as well.
If she was going to get close to Aaron, she would need this woman. Everyone knew Dearra held Aaron's leash and told him which way to lean.

Having a hold of the holder of the leash was a charming Idea.

"Ah, lady Elariel. I did not expect your company either. You are most welcome to share my bench, though."

She motioned to her side, letting Dearra know where to sit.

#14 Daerra Elariel

• Heir's Sister

Looking Good in Red
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 08 July 2010 - 02:47 AM

Daerra noticed Phyra's slight slip in smile, and mentally congratualated herself on the reputation she had built. When the woman sighed she gave a silent cheer, although she almost let a grimace appear on her face when Phyra patted the bench next to her. Almost. She managed to keep her well meaning smile, and the sparkling enthusiasm in her eyes. Barely.

She took the seat of course, smoothing her simple but elegant teal gown as she did so. Anything less would be rude. Knowing the woman was using emotional allomancy on her, Daerra kept a close watch on her emotions. She felt blind without her bronze to tell her exactly what the woman was doing. Curse copper and all who burn it! she thought. She thought she felt faint touches, but she couldn't be sure what they were doing exactly, or if they were even there. Phyra's allomancy was much more subtle now than when she had first entered the square. So there's intelligence behind to infantile facade. Surprise surprise.

"I hope you know what you are getting into," she said, keeping the laughter in her voice, if not in her heart. She focused on keeping her voice genuine, and leaving even the slightest hint of mockery out. Some don't need allomancy to be subtle. "My brother has always been a bit of a tease. I'll ensure he comes over to see you when he's done with his friends. Knowing him, he'd probably forget you're even here."

#15 Phyra Venture

• Rogue Venture Mistborn

Posted 08 July 2010 - 03:10 AM

Phyra laughed genuinely.

"Oh, I assure you, I can handle teasing. If one doles it out, one must be prepared to suffer through it.

In any case, I intend to make sure he does not forget me."

with zinc she softly built pleasure in Dearra's brain. Softly, subtly.

A heavy hand could ruin even the best laid plans.

#16 Nevan Venture

• Heir to House Venture

Lord Prelan
  • Age19

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusKnown

Posted 08 July 2010 - 03:25 AM

"Indeed we were," Nevan agreed, trying to shake the odd twinges on his emotions. Did he simply feel he could trust Kaylen, or was he being manipulated again? At least with Phyra, he knew what to expect, but all this Pushing and Pulling made his head hurt. Still, Aaron's presence was a relief. It was nice to not be stuck alone with his overenthusiastic best friend and a member of a rival house.

"Then again, it's likely that's what everyone's talking about, hm? I'm told you'll be attending with my cousin."

Posted Image

#17 Daerra Elariel

• Heir's Sister

Looking Good in Red
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 08 July 2010 - 03:38 AM

Daerra kept her composure easily this time. Dealing with Phyra was grinding on her nerves like a millstone, however the longer she spoke the woman, the more prepared she was for whatever obnoxious thing Phyra said next. She did have to resist the urge to look over at Aaron and his friends. The slightest break in concentration would signal boredom or unease. I hope they finish up soon!

"I suppose you can handle yourself. I just wanted to ensure you were aware, and that he had not hurt your feelings already. He's led more than one poor girl along with his flirtations while being completely uninterested in her. Mother's worried if this keeps on, he'll never be married, but Father insists on choosing all his dates for political reasons. H never listens to either of our suggestions. Elariel men can be very stubborn some times. Which is why I'm so glad you've come along. After all you are nothing like those other girls."

#18 Aaron Elariel

• Elariel Heir

Looking Good in Red
  • Age23

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 08 July 2010 - 03:51 AM

Aaron smiled. He'd always liked Nevan Venture. "Yes, the lovely Lady Phyra. I have to say, my sister was very unimpressed with my father's decision. I wish I knew how she gets out of the dates he sets for her. Don't get me wrong Nevan, Phyra is very attractive, for a Venture of course," he winked, "But I've always found her to be... intimidating. I'm just glad I managed to find you fellows. I think I'd like to prepare myself a little more before charging boldly into our first encounter since the arrangement was made."

He gauged the other mens' reactions and then continued jovially, hoping to move the conversation away from his infamous date. "I understand you will be escorting that lovely Deveaux girl, Nevan. Quite a catch if I do say so myself." He gave Nevan a wink and a nudge, and waited for his reply.

#19 Aldwin Tekiel

• Heir to House Tekiel

Lord Prelan
  • Age20

• OriginLuthadel

Posted 08 July 2010 - 03:58 AM

"That Phyra is something all right," Aldwin scoffed. "I dunno if I'd say intimidating, but she puts it all out there for everyone to see. I mean, there's gotta be some challenge to it, right? It's no fun giving chase if a woman's going to try and trip you into bed the first time you look at her.

"Now. That Camille Deveaux, on the other hand." Aldwin grinned mischievously. "My good friend Nevan and I were just talking about that. See, I'm of the same opinion as you, but I just don't think the man himself quite agrees. Tragic, isn't it?"

Posted Image

#20 Nevan Venture

• Heir to House Venture

Lord Prelan
  • Age19

• OriginLuthadel

• Allomantic StatusKnown

Posted 08 July 2010 - 04:02 AM

"I said no such thing," Nevan corrected, pretending as though he was moving to jab at Aldwin with his cane. "You and your imagination will be the death of me, Aldwin."

He grinned, shook his head, and grinned at Aaron. "I swear," he said with a smirk. "The way things keep going, especially with this gentleman right here, there will be rumors of an engagement before I've so much as spoken to the woman on ball night."

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users