The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

A Matter of Trust

W1 D5 MA Perrin Maks Ignas

17 replies to this topic

#1 Maks

Member of Lucille Deveaux's Book Club

Posted 11 July 2010 - 11:35 PM

"Where is he?" Perrin grumbled as he paced back and forth through the kitchen of Lan's shop. Certainly it had been almost a half an hour by now. What in the name of the Lord Ruler could be taking him so long? No doubt the noblewoman he was helping was another stuck up brat that wasn't completely satisfied with her gown. It was a shame that there was no way to effectively show people like that how unimportant their little lives were.

Right. He was going to count to ten, and if Maks hadn't entered the kitchen by then, Perrin was going to go find him. 1...... 2...... 3..... 4......

Maks pushed open the kitchen door, scowl still on his face, but more relaxed in a way. Perrin stood straight up and folded his arms across his chest, "It's about time," he said as Maks ignored him and crossed the room to retrieve a drink.

The man took a few swallows of whatever he had poured into the cup before turning back to face Perrin. "Don't ever come out onto my floor again. Understand? You risked more than you know by pulling that stunt out there."

Perrin scoffed, "Sale not go through then?"

"The woman was an allomancer, you idiot. A Tineye. She heard us."

His jaw dropped slightly, but Perrin caught himself before he let his surprise show too much. He did not like being in the wrong. "Will I need to take care of her then?"

Maks laughed, a slight hint of mocking present, "Lucky for you, she is also Skaa." Skaa? Well that was certainly unexpected. Lucky didn't even come close to describing it. "I'll be in contact with her again later after I've discussed her with Ignas."

Perrin's eyes narrowed at the mention of the obligator, "Oh yes, that's right, because you're his faithful sidekick. Always trusting whatever he says," Perrin took a step forward and pointed his finger at Maks, "You mark my words, that man is going to be trouble for us someday."

"So you've told me. More than once, if I'm not mistaken," Maks replied, "Don't forget, though, what he's done for our operation. We'd be nowhere near as successful as we are right now without him. You can't deny that." Perrin most certainly couldn't, and that fact bothered him immensely. "Speaking of Ignas, he mentioned he'd be dropping by again this afternoon. Said he needed to talk to both of us, so you might as well stick around."

Needed to talk to them, eh? Perrin rolled his eyes. Someday he hoped that he would be able to teach the man a lesson or two. For now, however, he was needed. Perrin hated it, but it was true. So at least for the time being, he would continue to put up with the obligator. But he didn't have to trust him. Not completely, anyways.

#2 Ignas

• Architect of the Rebellion, the Shade

High House Noble
  • Age46

• Relationship StatusSingle

• OriginWestern Dominance

Posted 12 July 2010 - 06:11 PM

Ignas was--is--an obligator. He summed up the obligations. That did not mean that all obligations should be carried through to their bitter end, or that all debts should be paid. Ignas knew too well. As he gripped his side--heavily bandaged--he realized this far too well. He wasn't Mistborn. He shouldn't risk himself like this. But, he was an administrator. He knew all of the rebellion cells, and he had many contacts outside of them. His dangerous missions were vital.

But the Inquisition was tightening its grip, and old contacts feared retribution. What would happen when the grip got too harsh? They would all die, most likely.

Ignas couldn't let that happen.

Slowly, as to not disturb his wound, he made his way into the kitchen. Maks and Perrin were there. Perrin, as usual, was displeased. Good. Ignas would get to silence his doubts.

He dropped a small bag onto the kitchen table. "In there lies three beads of atium. I have paid for it in blood," he said, motioning to his side. "With it, I could probably buy this entire shop, but you will need this, Perrin, should Valkyn betray us.

"I am confident his relationship with us shall prove fruitful and provide us with many Allomancers. But, we must discuss what happens if that fails."

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 Perrin

Posted 12 July 2010 - 08:36 PM

If atium weren't so valuable, Perrin might have considered leaving the little bag on the table; he didn't want Ignas to think that he was in his debt in anyway. But Perrin grudgingly picked up the bag, stowing it away in his vest pocket for the time being. He eyed the man, "So you don't trust the Inquisitor completely, after all, eh?"

Maks stepped forward, holding a cup towards Ignas before sitting down at the table, "You think Valkyn will betray us eventually?"

Posted Image

#4 Ignas

High House Noble
  • Age46

Posted 13 July 2010 - 11:29 AM

"Perhaps," Ignas said, "perhaps not. It is a concern, at least. Should he do so, he will surely kill me, the traitor obligator, first. And while this shop and the cell inside of it is vital to the success of the rebellion... it is not the only cell. Far from it. Currently, I hold the keys to all the cells.

"Should Valkyn decide to interrogate me, he will not be successful. I will never give the secrets of the rebellion to the Ministry. If I die, that knowledge dies with me, but the rebellion shall live. You know that, potentially, this is always a possibility, that the rebellion will need to wait a decade, perhaps more, to overthrow the Final Empire. But I will take precautions to ensure this does not happen. The first involves myself staying alive."

Ignas handed Perrin a sheet of paper. "Keep that safe. It has a list of a few other key rebellion cells. Not all of them, but a good sum. This means, Perrin, that I am placing you in charge of the rebellion should I die, perhaps by Valkyn's hands. You are Mistborn. You are vital to our success."

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 Perrin

Posted 13 July 2010 - 02:47 PM

It was hard for Perrin to smother his annoyance as Ignas spoke. He really didn't like the fact that this obligator was in charge of the entire rebellion. How had he managed to get so many skaa to trust him? It should have been a man like Maks or... someone else. But the annoyance was also partly because Perrin knew that, like it or not, Ignas was probably the best man for the job.

He wanted to roll his eyes when Ignas mentioned how loyal he would be and not divulge any of the rebellion secrets should he be interrogated. But Perrin simply stood, arms still folded across his chest, and listened to the man.

When Ignas held out the piece of paper to him, and told him what it was and what it meant, Perrin was dumbfounded. He looked down at the sheet, quickly scanning over the list, shocked by the number of 'cells' that were on there. And this was only part of them? And then Ignas's words caught up to him. Perrin would take Ignas's place should he die. He was stunned. And flattered, to say the least.

Perrin looked up from the list, customary grin on his face again, "Aw, I love you to," he chuckled, "Wasn't aware you thought so highly of me," he paused, grin fading, "You can trust me, Ignas. And I.... well... even though I may not like it, I know I can trust you as well."

Posted Image

#6 Ignas

High House Noble
  • Age46

Posted 14 July 2010 - 07:34 AM

Ignas smiled, putting a hand on Perrin's shoulder. "I know. Sometimes I wish I was not an obligator, despite its usefulness in the rebellion, for the contacts I can get. It is still a hindrance, especially among friends."

He turned to Maks. "I'm sorry I do not give you the list of cells either, though I trust you implicitly as well. But, should Valkyn attack, Perrin will be able to flee quicker. If you can survive, you should all head discreetly to our safe house. It is not shared with other rebel cells, so secrecy will be maintained. If I die, however, leadership shall transfer to Perrin.

"But I have no plan on dying. That is the other thing I wish to discuss. Inquisitors are very hard to kill, but... it is not impossible. They have a weakness. I have not told you before because I worried that Perrin may try and attack one before he was ready. Perhaps one can never prepare oneself for such a thing.

"I believe after our attack on Keep Casuana--our cautious attack, mind you--we must take the fight to the Ministry. We need more victories like the one at the Canton of Resource Headquarters. Eventually, we will need to destroy the Canton of Inquisition Headquarters. The more Inquisitors dead, the better. It is not a trivial task, however."

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 Maks

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:21 AM

To say that Maks wasn't shocked by Ignas' decision to declare Perrin as his successor would have been a lie. But he completely understood the reasoning.

He listened quietly as Ignas continued, and when the man finished, said, "That's quite.... ambitious, Ignas. Taking on the Canton of Inquisition? And planning to destroy it no less... that's crazy even for you."

Perrin snorted, "After bringing an inquisitor into the Rebellion, I don't think Ignas could do or say anything that will surprise me anymore."

#8 Ignas

High House Noble
  • Age46

Posted 19 July 2010 - 10:54 AM

Ignas smiled. I'm sure I could think of a few things.

"Perrin, I know you want the nobility dead. As do I. They deserve to feel the pain of those they enslave. But, we must accept the fact that it is not really the nobility we need to fear. Kill the Great Houses, and more willing nobles shall come to Luthadel anyways. They will spawn forever. We can make them afraid, yes, but they have faith in their God that He will protect them. The nobles want this 'annoying rebellion' to simply blow over. They'll hole in their Keeps and Manors and wait.

"The Inquisition is our real problem. The tighter its grip becomes, the harder it will be to fight back. I believe we would all rather have the Ministry crippled before we must battle the Lord Ruler himself. So, we must begin to destroy these Inquisitors and the Ministry bureaucracy. Ideally at that point, the nobility will devolve into chaos without the Ministry to watch over them, and then they'll destroy themselves. But with the Ministry in tact, we cannot hope to win."

Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 Perrin

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:12 PM

The obligator was right. The Steel Ministry would have to be taken care of if the Rebellion was going to make any significant progress at all. That, or kill the Lord Ruler, but that seemed even more impossible.

"To attack the Ministry though, we'll have to take little jabs at them. Hopefully big enough that they won't be able to recover quicker than we can strike at them again."

Posted Image

#10 Ignas

High House Noble
  • Age46

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:55 AM

"Funny you said 'jabs'," Ignas said. "There's going to be quite the bit of stabbing to do. Or, perhaps, taking out something that has already been stabbed."

They looked confused. "I am talking about the Inquisitors. They are incredibly hard to replace, due to the exact requirements of the Hemalurgic spike involved. Kill them, and we have permanently erased one of our enemies. We'd need to take out their spikes and melt them down, so they cannot be used again.

"That is what we shall do. Kill every Inquisitor. Slowly. Methodically. There is a simple secret to destroying Inquisitors. The Hemalurgy, obviously, is what gives them their Allomantic abilities, so there are at least nine spikes. One in particular, located on their back, seals them all together. Perrin, you will need to get under their cloak, grip the spike, and remove it. That will immediately kill the beast."

Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 Perrin

Posted 06 August 2010 - 02:35 PM

Silence permeated the room for a few moments after Ignas described what would need to be done to kill an inquisitor. Perrin glanced over at Maks who had a look of serious thought on his face. However, the man's face relaxed quickly and he looked up, "You make it sound like this is going to be easy."

Perrin snorted, "If cuddling up close enough to an inquisitor to get underneath their clothes is easy, I don't want to know what hard is." He looked towards Ignas, "So am I supposed to try this on the inquisitor at the Casuana ball?"

Posted Image

#12 Ignas

High House Noble
  • Age46

Posted 06 August 2010 - 03:47 PM

Ignas fell silent. It would certainly leave an impression with the Inquisition. But, was Ignas ready to deal with the consequences if Perrin failed?

"Perhaps," he finally said. "The Inquisitor at the Ball might be Valkyn. If so, the chase and diversion should be easy, and neither of you will be hurt. However, if Valkyn decides to attack you, or otherwise disrupt us--which will be challenging for him, as he will not know any details of the attack. Or, if the Inquisitor is not Valkyn, which it simply may not be...

"I... am uncertain, Perrin. Trust your instincts. If you have the opportunity, seize it. Naturally, that's the most efficient method of ending the chase." Ignas laughed faintly. "But it is perfectly acceptable, I think, to preserve your own life. Without a Mistborn, we cannot hope to kill the Inquisitors. If you kill the Inquisitor, but also die yourself, then we may have failed."

((Remember, in this scene, we don't have Cantos yet :P))

"I will leave it up to you, Perrin, to plan your attack run. An effective strategy may be to lead the Inquisitor into a trap of our more experienced Mistings. It might be a foolish endeavor as he may not fall for it. Nonetheless, few of our Allomancers will accompany me into the Keep. My basic design is to have pockets of Seekers, perhaps with some small support.

"I have maps of the Keep in the basement. My contact assures me that these are as good as the ones Lady Casuana herself utilizes. In planning, Perrin, realize I am attacking on the western wall, or at least exiting that way. Choose a different escape route. Doubtless, there will be hazekillers, and it will be challenging enough to provoke the Inquisitor directly.

"I leave it completely to you. Keep things quiet, of course, except for any Allomantic support you may need. I shall inform you of exact timing on the day of the Ball on the principle of secrecy. But, essentially, you will need to make the assault first, before my mission."

Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 Perrin

Posted 06 August 2010 - 10:43 PM

Perrin found himself frowning a little at Ignas' response. This whole 'trust' thing between them was going to take a little while to get used to, but they didn't really have much time before this was all supposed to go down. He was just going to have to roll with it for now.

"I think I'm probably going to keep my part of the operation a solo mission. No use endangering other allomancers for my benefit." He glanced at Maks, then back to Ignas, "Out of curiosity, where is Nessa going to be during all of this?"

Posted Image

#14 Ignas

High House Noble
  • Age46

Posted 11 August 2010 - 08:11 PM

"Nessa will--" Ignas began, but he halted, noticing Perrin's demeanor. There was something there. An... intense concern. He focuses on Nessa, specifically, out of all of our Allomancers. Hmmm...

"Perrin. This is the rebellion. Detach yourself enough for business, please. Leave your emotions and romance out of it."

Posted Image

Posted Image

#15 Maks

Posted 11 August 2010 - 08:57 PM

Romance?!

Perrin started in surprise at Ignas's statement. Was he suggesting.... Surely he couldn't think..... With Nessa? No, no, no, Ignas must have been playing with him. But then again, was the obligator even capable of jesting like that?

The idea was absurd! Perrin with Nessa. Now that would be a disastrous couple if there ever was one. And yet, Perrin felt his heart beat faster at the thought of it. Oh this was not good. No, he told himself. He didn't have feelings for Nessa. Not only was it wrong, it was just plain ridiculous. Nessa was his friend. Nothing more.

But he had to play this off; show that it didn't affect him, although his initial reaction would probably have confirmed the idea more than anything else. Perrin plastered his typical smirk on his lips, "Just trying to prepare for the future," he winked, "Not all of us can make this a lifelong career, you know."

#16 Ignas

High House Noble
  • Age46

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:12 PM

"Ha." Ignas shook his head. "On second thought, perhaps you should get your boyish urges out now and get it over with. Lifelong career... no, it is not a lifelong thing, I should think. Death is around every corner, and distractions could accelerate that, as with romance."

Ignas stared into Perrin's eyes harshly. "Perhaps I should send for Nessa now, right here. That way, you can be done, and additionally, she would never forgive you for forcing yourself upon her. You have your way, thus relieving that measure of tension, and we don't have to worry about any such liability with romance, as she would never care for you anymore. Shall I, Perrin?"

Posted Image

Posted Image

#17 Perrin

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:45 AM

Perrin's expression faded quickly as the obligator spoke again. Get his boyish urges out? Surely the man was not foolish enough to suggest something like that to Perrin's face. But Ignas just kept talking.

Anger rapidly came to a boil within Perrin's chest when he heard what Ignas was suggesting. How dare he talk about Nessa that way! Perrin felt his face burning mostly due to his anger, but in part embarrassment too. The idea of anything remotely romantic with Nessa set butterflies to fluttering in his stomach, but with what was being suggested, those butterflies also seemed to be mixed with rocks and Perrin felt himself grow sick.

"Shall I, Perrin?"

The words barely escaped the obligator's lips when Perrin threw himself forward, an angry snarl coming from deep within his chest. He slammed into Ignas, tackling him easily to the ground. Perrin straddled the man's chest and sat up just high enough to raise his arm to punch the tattooed face. "Perrin! NO!" The mistborn barely registered Maks's voice before bringing the punch down, but paused a moment, realizing that he was flaring pewter at an alarming rate. If he punched Ignas now the man's face would likely be crushed and the blow could potentially kill him.

He deserves to die for what he suggested! Perrin thought furiously, but then reluctantly extinguished all of his metals. He did not, however, bring down his arm. Instead, feeling far weaker than normal, Perrin brought his fist forcefully down into the side of Ignas's head. His anger still burned red hot, but punching the obligator made him feel slightly better. Perhaps another for good measure? Perrin definitely thought so, and brought his fist back again before slamming it into Ignas's face again.

"Stop it Perrin! You'll kill him!" Maks pulled at Perrin's arms and shirt, which Perrin found a little amusing. What did the tailor think he would be able to do against him and pewter? But Perrin decided not to fight against Maks. Ignas got what he deserved... well, perhaps a bit less than what he deserved, but Perrin was satisfied for now.

The look on his face was grim as he stood up off of the man and looked at Maks, "You know he deserved what he got," Perrin threw a disgusted look back to the obligator lying on the ground, "I'm done here." And with that Perrin stalked out of the room, noting that his hand was throbbing. He burned pewter again and the pain instantly faded to a mild annoyance.

One thing was for sure, Perrin would not be speaking with Ignas again unless he absolutely had to. And unfortunately, that meant that it would probably happen again soon. Maybe the next time they met, the obligator would watch his tongue more carefully.

Posted Image

#18 Ignas

High House Noble
  • Age46

Posted 12 September 2010 - 03:47 AM

Ignas was no stranger to pain. He had been stabbed, burned, and to a minor extent, flayed. That did not stop from the pewter-enhanced punch to the chest from hurting. His mind fell into a daze, and then another blow to his head; this one not as strong, but still.

He could vaguely see a misty Maks, looking into his eyes. "I'm fine." Maks held his head.

All Ignas could feel was a sense of vindication.

"I was right," Ignas said, coughing up some blood. "I was right. He loves her. The fool."

Posted Image

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users