The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

Five Finger Discount

W1 D6 LM Niro Nessa Eriaan Maks Perrin

27 replies to this topic

#1 Niro

Magnus Venture's Desk

Posted 14 July 2010 - 12:27 AM

Lan's shop was a well known shop in the skaa world. Noblemen and skaa alike frequented the shop in search of dresses, tunics, trousers. With all of the costumers, the income as high and its owners were happy. So was Niro.

In concept, the job was simple. While the cashier was busy with a customer, Niro would run over and pick the lock of the chest where income was kept. Adept at picking locks, and with the proper tools, the lock would not present a challenge to Niro. Therefore, this would be simple. In theory.

In his best skaa clothing, a clean, brown shirt and a pair of deep brown pants, Niro entered the establishment. He browsed, checking out clocks, jackets, and boots. Another customer entered, this time a noblewoman. Perfect.

The cashier left his station to wait hand and foot on the noblewoman. First, he led her over to the already completed dresses. They were beautiful, cut to fit a female form like the gloves that would most likely accompany the dress. Quickly, but subtly as not to attract attention, Niro stalked from one end of the shop to the other, drawing his lock picking tools out as he walked. The chest lay on the floor of the store, forcing Niro to stoop down. Taking his tools, three simple lock picks, Niro went to work, carefully searching for the tumblers he would have to knock in order to open the chest.

Nothing could go wrong.
user posted image

#2 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

• Relationship StatusBeginning a Relationship with Perrin

• OriginCentral Dominance Plantation

Posted 14 July 2010 - 04:25 AM

If there was one thing Nessa hated more than being dragged out of her nice, comfortable bed before the crack of dawn, it was doing so to train and then having no idea where her instructor had gone. She had finished her time with Perrin that morning, but Luca, who was supposed to be showing her how to hit people with a staff, was nowhere to be found. None of the women in the back knew, so after grabbing a quick baywrap and still having to wait, she decided to take matters into her own hands. Maybe Maks would know, if he wasn't busy with customers. Nessa knew she shouldn't go into the shop if Maks had customers, but it wouldn't hurt to look.

And so look she did, poking her head through the door and casting a cautious gaze around the shop to try and find the man. Sure enough, everyone in the shop was busy with customers, but....

Waitaminute...

Having only lived in the shop for a few days, Nessa obviously hadn't had the time to learn everyone's names or faces, but she was pretty sure Maks hadn't hired a teenage boy to pick the lock on a chest he kept under the counter. Especially not while acting like he didn't want to get caught.

Fortunately, his attention seemed occupied by getting into the chest and not being seen by the employees out front. Besides, Nessa - a tall, scrawny girl in simple skaa clothing and long, dark hair almost covering her face - wouldn't look like much of a threat.

But now that she was getting the hang of using pewter, she was.

Nessa grinned, and - using stealth abilities well-honed by her own time as a thief - crept forward until she was right behind the boy, and then slammed a foot onto the chest right next to his hands.

"Fixin' the lock, kiddo?" she growled. "You look a little young to be a locksmith, if you ask me."

#3 Niro

Magnus Venture's Desk

Posted 15 July 2010 - 01:09 AM

With the sudden appearance of a well toned woman's leg on top of the safe and a little pretty voice asking him question, it took all of Niro's will to sound calm and collected. He looked up with his most charming smile, showing neat straight teeth that complemented his dark eyes. Act like your supposed to be here, act like your supposed to be here...

"Actually ma'am, I am a locksmith." Niro rose to meet the woman, four or so inches shorter than her. Instead of a great view of her eyes, Niro was greeted a great view of her... well, chest. A fine chest, in Niro's opinion. Looking down, Niro noticed the chest he head been picking was also a rather expensive chest. Wait, too many chests.

"The lock was reported jammed just a bit ago and an attendant came to get me." Niro spoke in his normal, deep silky voice, pulling his eyes from her chest as he spoke. Now he saw she had a fine, soft face with a nice creamy texture. Her curtain of dark hair pleased Niro even more. He liked long dark hair. Though, blonds weren't too bad either... He stopped examining her, trying to regain his composure, eyes returning to her. Lord Ruler, was she pretty....

"But yeah. I'm young for a locksmith. But I'm good, which I could show you if you would kindly move your leg." He smiled genuinely, the smile showing kindness, generosity, honesty, and maybe a little bit of infatuation. Just a bit.
user posted image

#4 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 15 July 2010 - 02:17 AM

"That so?" Nessa asked, frowning even deeper at the boy's expression. He was just a kid! What in the Lord Ruler's name was he looking at her like that for?

"Lockpicking tools," she observed. "Nothing else on you, just little metal bits to let you into locks that don't belong to you. Hiding behind the counter, taking care not to be seen. Quiet. A fast thinker.

"I know your type," she growled, jabbing him in the chest with her finger. "You're a thief.

"Oy, Maks," she called out, "you hire a boy locksmith to come today?"

#5 Niro

Magnus Venture's Desk

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:30 AM

Hmmm... The most current events showed the woman was not as gullible as he had hoped. She knew what to look for, carefully spotting him, though he hadn't really done a great job at hiding, pointing out his tools, his looks, his expression. It was like a card game and she had all the right cards.

But something of it was strange. Most people, even shop keepers, didn't know the signs of a thief. They didn't know his acts, his voice, and most of all, they didn't know how to sneak up on a thief. If it was an arrow it would have killed him. Evidence pointed to the fact that she was a thief!

At the jabbing of her finger, Niro smiled. Not smugly or victoriously, but joyed in the fact that in three short years he had become a great thief. He had a toned body and swiftness most skaa wouldn't even see in action, let alone have. He could move faster than the average man, leap, climb, jump as if he could fly. It was a short run, but in three short years Niro had become great in his job, operating alone. There could be no betrayals, no deaths but his own. It had been a great run, and if Niro's career was over now, he wanted to go out with a bang. But first...

?Hmm... An old friend of mine told me some advice I took to heart, in a way. He said if you ever got in a situation where everyone seems to have the cards, they were like you once. So, you know I'm a thief? Takes one to know one, eh??
user posted image

#6 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:36 AM

"Yes, actually," Nessa said flatly. "I was. My mother left when I was little and I had to steal to eat. Then the people who run this shop found me and gave me a job." She frowned, and settled her hands on her hips.

"I don't care if you steal, kiddo, as long as it's from someone else. But you picked the people who gave me a home, and I don't like that."

#7 Niro

Magnus Venture's Desk

Posted 15 July 2010 - 04:35 AM

"Well..." Niro thought to himself for a moment. Revealing a little about himself would help get him out of this situation. And it was also interesting that this woman's mother had abandoned her. Like Elias did....

"My brother abandoned me. Three years ago. That's why I became a thief. But please note, I'm not trying to make a sob story. Just connection and having mindless banter with a person I don't know."
user posted image

#8 Eriaan

Member of Lucille Deveaux's Book Club

Posted 20 July 2010 - 12:46 AM

Eriaan struggled to suppress her excitement as she walked into Lan's shop again. When she had been there last, she had accidentally discovered that it was a front for some sort of operation. Exactly what they were trying to accomplish, she was sure... yet. That was what she assumed the purpose of her visit that afternoon would be, at least. She has received a fairly vague note earlier that day requesting her presence at an appointed time that afternoon. And, in her eagerness to learn more about working with other skaa allomancers, she had arrived early planning on simply looking at gowns until she was asked for.

She walked slowly through the shop, smoothing her day gown, admiring the many different colored dresses. There weren't any other customers in the shop that she could see, but there were a few apprentices going about their work. She rounded a dress and the rear wall of the shop came into view. Towards one of the corners, there was a table, Eriaan assumed that it was another place for transactions to take place, but she couldn't help but feel that the boy and girl standing there were out of place. She studied them for a moment and then ignited the tin within her stomach so as to hear their conversation.

Immediately, the words that had previously been to far away for her to hear sounded crystal clear. However, the light in the shop also became much brighter to her tin enhanced eyes, and so Eriaan had to squint to keep from being uncomfortable.

"...people who run this shop found me and gave me a job," the girl said and then placed her hands on her hips. Apparently she was trying to look intimidating, but Eriaan doubted very much that the boy was scared of her at all. "I don't care if you steal, kiddo, as long as it's from someone else. But you picked the people who gave me a home, and I don't like that."

Stealing, eh? Well that wasn't good. Eriaan paused for a moment and laughed briefly. That was an extremely ironic thing for her to think. She moved a bit closer to the pair, noticing that the girl probably wasn't much younger than she was; and the girl had mentioned something about this being her home now. She had been recruited as well?

"My brother abandoned me. Three years ago. That's why I became a thief. But please note, I'm not trying to make a sob story. Just connection and having mindless banter with a person I don't know." Eriaan laughed briefly again. Mindless banter with a person who had just caught him in the act of stealing?

Eriaan decided now was a good time to approach the pair. It wasn't as if it could harm anything. "Trying to make a connection with the person who caught you stealing?" she asked as she walked up to the pair, dulling her tin down to a very low burn, "Seems like I would be trying to get away if I were in your position, young man."

#9 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:57 PM

"S'what I thought," Nessa agreed, "but he's just sitting here chatting like it's a ball or something. I--"

Uh-oh.

Nessa hadn't been looking at the new voice who had joined the conversation, but when she glanced over, she caught sight of a noblewoman's dress. What on earth was a noblewoman of all people doing getting caught up in a conversation between two thieves!

"A-apologies, my Lady," Nessa stammered awkwardly. She had seen women curtsy to nobles, but Nessa would probably fall over if she tried that, so she gave an awkward bow instead. "I didn't mean to disturb your shopping with skaa business."

Where in the Lord Ruler's name was Maks? Nessa had no idea how to talk to nobles, and she still had no idea what to do with the boy thief.

Somebody help me!

#10 Niro

Magnus Venture's Desk

Posted 31 July 2010 - 03:06 PM

The arrival of a noblewoman scared the black off of Niro's skin. Run! Hide! Noble! Avoid, avoid, avoid!, his senses screamed at him. Niro had noticed her standing there, just far enough that she should not have been able to hear the conversation. Nessa's call to the Maks person was the only thing said by the two that was over a whisper. That was... strange.

Furtive, Niro's eyes darted, looking for exits, escapes, anything, when the woman began to approach. He only noticed the front door, however. His eyes laid on the counter, calculating the distance and time it would take to run from his position out the door. It appeared easy. Hop the counter, hit the ground running, and never look back. That would have worked, of course, if the shop was not chock full of customers, noblemen and women in suits, dresses, some in their underwear getting measured and some in the process of browsing. Only now did Niro notice the fine creations in the room; they were all made by skaa, yet beautiful. Like his swords, or that one woodcraft shop on the other side of Luthadel.

Nonetheless, Niro was up a canal without a paddle. He had almost no options, his best having so many possibilities to go wrong that Niro didn't even want to try. But it seemed he had to if he wished to live. Niro did want to live, but he couldn't think of why. There was no passion in his life, no love or affection or woman. No children, no wage. There was nothing special about little Niro.

"Trying to make a connection with the person who caught you stealing? Seems like I would be trying to get away if I were in your position, young man."

Niro was scared out of wits, eyes wide and sweat slipping down his face. Even the girl that caught him was scared, bowing, and failing almost humorously. Niro looked the woman down quickly, his eyes barely flicking over her. She was beautiful, but most nobles were. Even males, though it was hard for a male to be beautiful.

Slowly and cautiously, Niro moved a bit closer to the counter, his hand lying on it. He would jump and run. There was no other option. But the woman had to be distracted. Therefore, Niro talked. ?How did you here us from all the way over there? I could barely hear-? Niro cut off his sentence, abruptly, pushing onto the counter and vaulting over it with one hand. Niro was strong, fit, and used to movements like this, thanks to this night thieving. The problem would be all the people.

He hit the ground running, as planned, and began to run.
user posted image

#11 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 31 July 2010 - 04:38 PM

.... Heh. Think you can get away, can you?

Nessa was right behind the boy, pushing off the chest she had been partially standing on, easily vaulting over the counter - so many years of jumping over obstacles meant she hardly needed pewter for that - and then the real fun began.

Praying to the Lord Ruler - or whoever the rebels would pray to in a time like this - she burned pewter. Not a lot, or even close to it. Just enough to give her an edge.

And she ran, her longer stride giving her a natural edge over the younger boy. Anyone who saw her running most likely wouldn't be able to notice anything unusual.

Not far from the door she finally caught him, seizing the back of his collar and pulling him back towards her. With his flight interrupted, she was able to use one of the new tricks she had learned in her training to sweep his legs out from under him and pin him to the floor of the shop. Even though he was a thief, though, he was also just a kid, so Nessa tried to avoid any unnecessary roughness. She wanted to stop him, after all. Not hurt him.

"Goin' somewhere, kiddo?" she growled. "Don't make me sit on you until Maks gets over here and decides what to do with you."

#12 Maks

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:24 PM

A frustrated sigh escaped Maks' lips as he jabbed one of his fingers with the needle he was using to sew crystals onto Lady Casuana's gown. He only had a little bit of work left on it to do, and he was more than pleased with how the dress had turned out. It was exquisite, and would certainly make any lady wearing it the envy of the room. He set down the dress, careful to not get any blood on it. Maks grabbed a scrap piece of cloth on the table in front of him and wrapped it around the finger to staunch what minor blood seepage there was. Well, since he didn't want to risk getting any blood on the gown, now was as good a time as any for a short break.

He stretched his arms as he stood, turning to survey the rest of the room which was fairly empty right now. Empty except for Nessa who was talking with a younger boy at one of the rooms chests containing more valuable decorations for gowns. Well that's probably not good, he thought to himself as he started to walk towards the pair. However, before he had even taken two steps, the woman he had met only a short time ago, Eriaan, spproached the pair. Maks had completely forgotten that he was supposed to meet with the woman today to discuss... plans. The woman said something to the pair, and as soon as both Nessa and the boy got a look at her, panic showed plainly in their eyes. Obviously they assumed her to be a noblewoman because... well, she was supposed to 'be' a noblewoman.

When the boy vaulted over the table they were next to, Maks cursed under his breath. A scene was not something he needed to have happen on the showroom floor. Luckily, Nessa quickly caught up to the boy and stopped him, though maybe a tad on the rough side. He chuckled a little bit though, the girl was definitely going to be a great asset to the rebellion. "Ah, Lady Yastrel," he said coming up behind the woman, "I'm glad you could make it." The woman nodded politely in greeting as Maks continued, "I see you've met Nessa. I would also introduce you to this young gentleman, but I fear that I've never seen the boy before in my life."

He smirked a little, "Nessa, you can let him up, but be sure to keep a tight grip on him, please. He has some explaining to do. But please, let's move to a back room. This isn't the place for interrogating a thief." Maks held out his hand, gesturing for Eriaan to walk with him, and then he led the group to a smaller sitting room.

When they were all inside and the door closed, Maks took a seat in one of the chairs and looked at Nessa and the boy expectantly, "Now, please explain what I missed."

#13 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:32 PM

Nessa did as she was told, hesitantly letting the boy up but keeping his arm twisted around his back in such a way that getting free would not only be difficult, but uncomfortable. She turned her pewter off for now; her instructor had warned her that using holds like this could seriously injure someone if she wasn't careful. Besides, even if he tried, Nessa would just stop him again.

She kept her grip on him even once they got in private. After all, Maks hadn't told her to let go yet.

"Luca didn't show up," Nessa explained simply. Apparently tardiness wasn't unusual for that particular man, according to what the rest of the rebellion said about him. "I looked in the shop to see if you were busy or not so I could ask you what to do, and I caught this kid here picking the lock on that chest. I dunno how nobody else noticed him, but I stopped him."

#14 Niro

Magnus Venture's Desk

Posted 15 August 2010 - 04:15 AM

The woman's tackle would have made a football player proud, if football had existed in Luthadel. Her move left Niro with no moves to make, sweeping his feet out from under him and making him fall. He hit the ground hard, his face slamming against the floor knocking the wind right out of him. He grunted and hissed, his cheek numb from the landing.

Yet he still plotted to get free, but there were no options. Don't make me sit on you until Maks gets over here and decides what to do with you. Niro grinned now, speaking just loud enough for Nessa to hear him. ?Naw, I'd enjoy that too much.?

The arrival of a man, the shopkeeper, was a blessing for Niro, the woman lifting him to go and interrogate him. Begrudgingly, Niro let the woman move and direct him, walking with her behind the shopkeeper ? Maks ? and the noblewoman, who seemed to be a ?Lady Yastrel?. He contemplated running, slipping out of her grip. He knew some ways of how to get out of holds, but there were just too many people. Not enough exits. So many variables.

Niro chose to stand and was out of options. All he could do was stay silent or explain himself, the latter seeming the more appropriate option. ?It's not that hard of a thing to explain. I tried to steal something, she tried and succeeded in stopping me, and that noblewoman has some perverse pleasure in watching a skaa beating up another skaa. Not much else to say.?
user posted image

#15 Maks

Posted 31 August 2010 - 02:37 AM

After listening to both Nessa and the boy answer him, Maks let out a sigh and shook his head. It was a wonder the other apprentices hadn't impaled themselves on their sewing needles yet. He pinched the bridge of his nose between his index finger and thumb, other hand resting on his hip. "Let the poor boy go please, Nessa. I appreciate you stopping him."

Maks turned his gaze to the boy, "Seems a bit foolish to attempt a robbery during the middle of the day in the middle of a shop. You're either incredibly stupid or incredibly brave."

#16 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 31 August 2010 - 02:39 AM

Nessa hesitated for a moment when Maks told her to release the boy. Was he sure? What if the boy tried to run away, or do something stupid?

Still, Nessa obeyed, releasing her hold on the would-be thief, but sticking close by him. Just in case.

Being cautious never hurt anyone, after all.

#17 Niro

Magnus Venture's Desk

Posted 31 August 2010 - 03:35 AM

Niro relished in the freedom of his shoulders, wondering if he should be offended by this man's comment. Stealing in the middle of the day was quite a stretch, but shops like these usually could afford locking up at night. With some heavy duty locks and stuff. Things his lock picks would really help him with. And Niro was hungry, plain and simple. It was break into a shop like this or pickpocket another skaa for their meal coins. Though Niro didn't like it, it was a dog eat dog world. Someone would get hurt. Just not him.

Niro was tired of standing, choosing to take a seat at the table. Besides, the woman keep guard was rather creepy. I'd like to consider myself smart, but I'm also hungry. You know, survival instinct and all, whatever the scholars say. Anything for a meal, anything to live another day, yada yada yada. You get the picture?
user posted image

#18 Maks

Posted 01 September 2010 - 12:21 AM

When the boy sat down without being invited, Maks's brow furrowed a little bit, shocked that the boy suddenly felt so comfortable here that he could just make himself at home. And as the boy talked, it was hard for Maks not to let the surprise show on his face.

"Is that your way of asking for food?"

#19 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 01 September 2010 - 12:34 AM

Nessa snorted. Rob a place, then make yourself as comfortable as if you owned it, and then ask for food. This kid really knew how to make an impression, didn't he?

Well, Nessa's own first impression had been to attack Ignas with pewter and then to ask for food and Allomancy lessons, but to be fair, her circumstances were a little different. For one thing, Maks was no obligator.

It wasn't Nessa's place to speak right now, so instead, she just frowned at the back of the would-be-thief's head. Maybe Maks would ask her to show him the door soon.

#20 Niro

Magnus Venture's Desk

Posted 01 September 2010 - 04:25 AM

How dare this man think Niro a beggar? The Lord Ruler hated beggars, they were the bane of society. Lowest of the low. When the man showed obvious disdain of him, Niro smiled. On the inside, of course. He chose to keep his face calm and composed.

"I'm too proud for handouts, I wouldn't beg. I work in the forges for food. I steal just because I want a meal that tastes a bit better than ash. But of course, you three wouldn't know that, right? That stuff they give out and call food at those little slop houses is bitter and not exactly filling. Or tasty."
user posted image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users