The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

The Calm Before the Storm

W1 D6 LN Nessa Valkyn Venture Perrin Maks Cantos Orlan Ignas

114 replies to this topic

#101 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

• Relationship StatusBeginning a Relationship with Perrin

• OriginCentral Dominance Plantation

Posted 12 September 2010 - 04:18 AM

"I'm fine," Nessa said simply, "And my instructors made me wait too, so we're even. Besides," she added, grinning up at him, "If I'd been on time for our first training session, I wouldn't have been able to give you your favorite nickname."

#102 Perrin

Member of Lucille Deveaux's Book Club

Posted 12 September 2010 - 07:50 PM

He smirked, "I don't remember saying it was my favorite nickname," Perrin laughed, "Might be your favorite nickname for me, but I could live without it."

Posted Image

#103 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 12 September 2010 - 07:54 PM

"Yeah," Nessa agreed with self-deprecating laugh. "It was the first thing I thought of at the time. But then... you only ever called me by my nickname then, so I had to do something. Buuuut," she continued with a bright, pleased smile, "You've called me Nessa a few times now. So I don't think it'll kill me to call you Perrin.

"Unless, of course, you want a new nickname..."

#104 Perrin

Posted 15 September 2010 - 04:11 AM

Perrin tilted his head to one side and eyed Nessa suspiciously, "A new nickname?" He wasn't quite sure he wanted to know. Buckets was bad enough for him to hear, although, he'd probably get used to it eventually if she kept using it. The day someone else called him 'Buckets' though, that would be the end of that nickname.

"Should I be afraid?"

Posted Image

#105 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 15 September 2010 - 04:36 AM

"I dunno," Nessa answered thoughtfully, giving Perrin her very best mischievous grin. Her mind raced, but somehow she just couldn't think of any other nicknames for him. The only reason she had ever called him anything was Perrin was to annoy him into using her real name - even though "Sweets", when he said it, was sort of starting to grow on her - but was that really necessary now?

But... why not have a little fun with this?

"I can't think of anything right now," she confessed. "If you were me, what would you nickname you?"

#106 Perrin

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:14 AM

"If I was you I'd probably already have confessed my undying love to me by now. I mean... let's face it, I'm sort of irresistible," he said trying to hold a straight face. Perrin failed after only a few seconds, however, laughing at his own joke.

He chuckled to himself for a few more moments before actually pondering on a potential nickname for himself. "Well, seeing as you're Sweets.... I would be.... Sour? Though that's kind of.... not a very good nickname," he grimaced.

Posted Image

#107 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:56 AM

Nessa tried, but she couldn't hold back an amused laugh at Perrin's antics. It felt good, though; it was like some sort of release, freeing her of all the tension and confusion she had been feeling. So she laughed: a strange, musical sound she had never heard herself make before.

"Love?" Nessa asked, feeling the color in her cheeks rise. "Perrin, do you know how hard it was for me to tell you what I did earlier? I just learned how to trust you. If I felt love, I wouldn't even know what to call it, much less be brave enough to tell you about it. But..."

She grinned, then reached up, turned his face toward her with a gentle hand on his cheek, and leaned forward to steal a quick kiss. And then immediately plopped back down and returned her head to its original resting place on his shoulder.

"I think I could get used to you. You're pretty sweet yourself, y'know."

#108 Perrin

Posted 16 September 2010 - 05:58 AM

As enjoyable and unplanned as their first kiss had been, the quick, unexpected second kiss from Nessa left Perrin with a wide grin on his face. He found it hard to believe how happy he felt. Was it possible to feel any more happy than he did in that moment? Somehow, he doubted that very much.

"Well, that's good to hear," he responded, "I've always wondered what I taste like."

Posted Image

#109 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 17 September 2010 - 05:01 AM

Nessa promptly choked on Perrin's comment, which immediately sent her into another fit of coughing. This one lasted a little longer than the others, so it was a couple minutes before she could say anything.

"What!" she finally gasped, feeling her face turn bright red as she whipped around to shoot him a panicked look. "Why are you saying weird things like that?" she asked, her expression slipping into a pout. "And here I was trying to be nice..."

#110 Perrin

Posted 18 September 2010 - 01:00 AM

Perrin laughed and smiled at Nessa, "It's called a joke, Sweets. You know, funny-ha-ha? Just trying to keep the mood light."

He shifted his body so that he was looking more directly at Nessa, forcing her to take her head off of his shoulder. "I'm serious, though. That cough sounds awful," he cupped her chin in his hand, pausing a moment to study her eyes and the shape of her lips, "Don't think you'll be getting anymore kisses from me until we're sure you aren't sick. Can't have the rebellion's most valuable member getting sick, right?" he smirked.

For a few more moments, Perrin just sat there, disbelieving the way this night had turned out. He shifted his hand from her chin, brushing her cheek softly, and then gently placed it on the back of her neck. Perrin moved to close the gap between their faces, to kiss Nessa again as a way to confirm to himself that he wasn't just dreaming tonight into existance, but he hesitated.

Was he taking advantage of her? Did he care? Of course I care. Nessa means more to me than anyone else I know. She had already confessed to him that she wasn't sure how she felt, that experiences like this in the past had been forced on her and held a sort of negative vibe. Was he willing to make her uncomfortable being kissing her again?

No, no he wasn't. Even though she had just kissed him herself, he didn't want her to feel like this was being forced on her. If there was going to be something, anything, between them, Perrin was going to make sure that it developed slowly, allowing both Nessa and himself time to adjust, to think things through.

He smiled softly at her, and took his hand off of her neck, then sat back against the wall. Was this confusing? Yep, it definitely was. Was it worth it to be confused? Without a doubt, yes.

Posted Image

#111 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 18 September 2010 - 01:58 AM

Nessa blinked, unsure of what had just happened. For a minute she had been positive that Perrin had been about to kiss her again, but then he just sat back against the wall.

What... had just happened? Had he changed his mind about her for some reason? Or was he just trying to not force himself on her, like the others she had told him about? And was she relieved or disappointed that he had changed his mind?

I really need to figure all this out.

She sighed, slumping back down against the wall. What on earth was happening to her? And why....?

"Uhh... Perrin? Does the mist seem... thinner... to you?"

#112 Perrin

Posted 18 September 2010 - 02:27 AM

Thinner? Perrin turned his eyes to look out over the city again, extinguishing his tin. He could definitely tell the buildings apart, they weren't just one dark blob. How long had they been out here?

"I think... it's time we went back to the shop. No detours this time," he stood up, and reached out a hand to help Nessa stand up. With a quick wink and a smile, he scooped her up into his arms again, and with iron and steel burning warmly in his stomach, leapt into the night sky once again.

The return trip to the shop seemed to go far too quickly, and as Perrin landed in the alley found himself feeling a bit disappointed. Why did such a nice evening have to end so soon? "About tonight... I'm, uh, sorry if I made you feel uncomfortable, I was just kind of... caught up in the moment, you know?"

He was apologizing? Perrin rolled his eyes at himself, and turned away from Nessa, kicking the shop door. Why did this situation seem to bring out the fool in him? "I had a really good time though," he said, turning back to face her again.

Perrin stepped forward and wrapped his arms around her, hugging her tightly one last time before the night would be officially over. "We'll have to do this again... soon. Maybe the night after the ba---"

"Who's there?" Maks poked his head out of the door. Perrin inhaled sharply and stepped away from Nessa quickly, "Perrin? Nessa?" The tailor stepped out of the door and glanced up and down the alley. "You're out training this morning of all days? I would have thought you both would still be in bed."

Posted Image

#113 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 18 September 2010 - 02:42 AM

Nessa smiled when Perrin seemed to stumble over his own words while telling her he had enjoyed himself during their night out in the missed. She smiled even more when he embraced her again, and she squeezed back tightly.

And then Maks came out.

Perrin stepped away from her remarkably quickly, leaving her standing there with her arms extended, blinking in confusion. Training? Was Maks asking about training?

"Uh. Well," Nessa began, dropping one hand to her side and using the other to smooth her hair. Just how on earth were they going to tell Maks they had been out all night? Her eyes flickered to Perrin, and she felt her face heating up again, so she looked back to Maks. "Um."

... that was eloquent.

#114 Perrin

Posted 18 September 2010 - 03:11 AM

Nessa's response, or rather lack of a response, made Perrin snort. He tried to smother his smirk, but couldn't do it before Maks turned his scrutinizing gaze on him. Perrin turned his eyes to the ground and kicked at some pebbles on the ground before him. He heard Maks sigh and raised his eyes a little, "How foolish of me to assume that you were actually up early, rather than up late."

Perrin found himself grinning at Maks, "What can I say, Maksy boy, we pewter burners don't need as much sleep as others. Nessa and I were just... playing around."

Maks frowned at Perrin, "You do need sleep, though. Go on, both of you," he said, stepping away from the door to allow them to pass, "I would have thought that on the eve of something so important you would have at least attempted to be a bit more responsible, Perrin."

"Right. Sorry. Won't let it happen again," Perrin said as he ushered Nessa in through the door and then followed after her. He glanced back at Maks, who still stood in the alley, noting that the man seemed to have a look of realization pass across his face.

Maks looked up quickly at Perrin, their eyes meeting, "Wait, you just called--"

"Nighty night, Maks! Like you said, need to get some sleep. Be responsible, and all that nonsense," Perrin said, cutting off Maks as he and Nessa quickly crossed the kitchen and made their way upstairs. Apparently Maks was more astute than Perrin gave him credit for. He had caught on quicker than he would have thought about Perrin calling Nessa by her real name.

Regardless, the night was finally coming to a close. As the pair reached the second floor where their rooms were, Perrin reached out and caught Nessa's hand, "Goodnight, Sweets. Pleasant dreams," he said as he brought her hand up to his lips and kissed it gently. Then, before Maks could follow them up the stairs to question them, Perrin turned away from Nessa and headed towards his room, pausing briefly in front of the door to smile back at Nessa once more, and then slipped inside.

Posted Image

#115 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 18 September 2010 - 03:51 AM

Nessa just stood there, hand on the doorframe, staring at the spot where Perrin had been. She had been considering making a similar move, try to catch him off-guard while continuing this wonderful night for just one moment longer, but he had beaten her to it.

So now she was just standing there in the hallway, staring at nothing, as the world spun around her.

Finally she sighed and gave her head a shake. Stupid soothing still has me acting weird, she grumbled to herself, fiddling with the doorknob. That and staying up all night. That's gotta be it. Never mind the fact that she had stayed up all night plenty of times before, and still managed to function as a thief should the day after. C'mon, Nessa. Shake yourself out of this. You're going to get yourself killed if you don't drag your heart in from the mists.

She finally turned the knob all the way, gave the door a push, and watched as it slowly swung inwards. The real question here was, did she want to bring it in? Or did she want to remain out there, in the night, in the arms of the one person who had ever made her heart race?

A dangerous question. Especially the "night" before a big job.

Well, I guess I better get some sleep. Nessa sighed again, and stepped into her room.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users