The Lord Ruler's perfect capital city, Luthadel, is doing the impossible: rebelling. Skaa half-breeds are being taught the power of Allomancy, something that the Lord Ruler's obligators said only existed in the nobility. The enslaved skaa, with their murderous benefactor, now fight back against a living god's oppression.

So, the Inquisition was formed. The nobles begin to fear assassination from all sides. The times of nobility Mistborn killing each other are over. The Steel Inquisitors look for aristocrat traitors and insurgent skaa, and the skaa try with all their strength to merely survive. The Lord Ruler's perfect Final Empire is slowly devolving into chaos.

Read the full prologue!

Topics on the forum will contain spoilers for the Mistborn Trilogy

GENERAL RP INFORMATION:
Forum Rules
The Story Thus Far
Character Application
Frequently Asked Questions
Character System Guide
Tagging System

THE WORLD OF MISTBORN:
The Three Metallic Arts
Guide to the Final Empire
Map of Luthadel
The Great Houses

OUT OF CHARACTER:
Introduce Yourself
Universal Continuity Thread
The Timeline
Adoptable Characters
Wanted Characters
Face Registry
Open Threads List

Mistborn Series Brandon Sanderson
Allomantic Table, Symbols, and Cartography by Isaac Stewart
Luthadel Images: mking2008
Other Graphics: KChan at 17th Shard
Final Empire, Metallic Arts, and Style Guides by Chaos at 17th Shard
All original characters, places, and documentation are property of their creators. Do not reproduce or republish without permission.

A subsidiary of 17th Shard, the Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite

The Calm Before the Storm

W1 D6 LN Nessa Valkyn Venture Perrin Maks Cantos Orlan Ignas

114 replies to this topic

#21 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

• Relationship StatusBeginning a Relationship with Perrin

• OriginCentral Dominance Plantation

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:37 AM

Nessa was genuinely surprised by Perrin's gesture. No one had ever done anything like that to her before, let alone something as crazy as promising to protect her. But it felt... nice. Comforting.

And most importantly, she wanted to believe what he said.

But she couldn't find the words to respond. So instead she just nodded, fought back yet another sob, and wrapped her arms around her newfound protector. She would apologize later if it made him uncomfortable, but right now, more than anything, she just wanted - no, needed - to feel safe.

#22 Perrin

Member of Lucille Deveaux's Book Club

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:47 AM

To say that he was shocked to feel Nessa wrap her arms around his chest and hug him would have been an understatement. Perrin couldn't remember the last time that he had been hugged. Certainly in fights people had held him in a similar fashion, trying to control him or keep him from escaping, but this felt completely different. He wasn't exactly sure how to respond. The most natural thing to do, he felt, was to wrap his own arm around her shoulders, holding her close to him, with his chin resting lightly on top of her head.

It was an oddly surreal moment, what with the inquisitor still playing his music, and both anger and concern burning in his chest. But for some reason, the moment felt right.

((Hmm.... wasn't expecting this....))

Posted Image

#23 Valkyn Venture

• Steel Inquisitor

MiBoam Obligara the Inquisikandra

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:48 PM

The music tapered slowly, The Inquisitor's Allomancy fading as it did. His training with tin had taught him to ignore everything but the sounds and sensations he was focused on. With his steel and iron extinguished, he could see nothing. He was altogether unaware of the Abomination returning, unaware of the huddled conversation.

As the song faded, he rekindled his steel and iron, surprised to see The two holding each other close. There was a desperation to the contact, a fervent need.

Not an embrace he should interrupt. He quietly replaced the Lute on his back, and passed silently on weightless feet through the door. Within seconds, he was a hundred feet above the ground, completely invisible to any below.

Valkyn VentureOther Characters: Phyra Venture, Brand, Fenna, Lian Vaunter.

#24 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 29 July 2010 - 03:04 AM

Nessa gasped in relief as she felt her emotions return to what her head knew they should be, though the sudden wave of terror crashing over her made her shiver a little bit. But it was over. She was herself again, and the Inquisitor was gone.

When she thought she could support herself, she settled back a bit and grinned up at her friend.

"Thanks, Buckets," she told him quietly. "I owe you one."

#25 Perrin

Posted 30 July 2010 - 06:03 AM

Perrin smiled softly down at Nessa, "Anytime Sweets." The pair sat quietly for a moment, just looking at each other. Eventually Perrin cleared his throat and removed his arm from around Nessa, feeling a little uncomfortable. The situation felt oddly... romantic, and Perrin wasn't used to having a genuine connection with anyone. Especially with a girl that was much younger than he. But sitting there now with his arms resting on his knees instead of being around Nessa felt empty to him.

The silence between them began to grow unbearable, and so Perrin blurted out the first thing that came to his head, "So you and the inquisitor, eh? Never would have pegged you for the tall, dark, and spiked type of girl."

Posted Image

#26 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 30 July 2010 - 06:30 AM

Nessa snorted in disbelief. "Oh, please," she shot back with a roll of her eyes, settling back into a more comfortable seated position. "The day I fall for an Inquisitor is the day I expect you to show up and rip those spikes right out of his eyes, 'cause he'll obviously be doing that push-pull thing you told me about." She really needed to get someone to tell her about what all Allomancy could do; she hadn't been expecting anything like that at all.

"It's a good thing for you I'm still getting over that mess," she continued with a teasing grin, " 'cause you almost got yourself smacked for that little comment."

#27 Perrin

Posted 30 July 2010 - 06:42 AM

He chuckled as she regained her usually personality. Walking into the kitchen and seeing her huddled up and sobbing had really scared Perrin. He was just glad that there weren't any lasting effects from the ordeal. "What makes you think I'd rip out the poor gentleman's eyes? True love should never be interrupted," he smirked at her. The image of Nessa wrapped up in a burly inquisitor's arms made Perrin laugh, but at the same time he shivered, more than a little disturbed by the image as well. "Just promise me I'll be invited to the wedding."

Posted Image

#28 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 30 July 2010 - 06:50 AM

"Fine. You asked for it, Buckets!"

Nessa shot up onto her knees and drew her hand back for a playful smack. That hand made it to a spot about halfway between the two of them when she realized it was still clinging to the baywrap she'd been eating earlier.

Nessa just stopped dead for a long moment, blinked at the meal she'd previously forgotten about, then settled back into a seated position yet again and took a healthy-sized bite out of the thing.

"You got lucky," she told him when she could talk well enough for him to understand her. "I hate wasting food."

#29 Perrin

Posted 30 July 2010 - 06:58 AM

Perrin flinched as Nessa's barley wrap laden hand came flying towards his face. He blinked a few times in surprise when the blow didn't actually hit him, and focused on Nessa again just in time to see her plop back down and take a very unladylike bite out of it. After a moments pause he burst out laughing, stopping only briefly when she was finally able to say something, then carried on, sides beginning to hurt.

After a short time, Perrin brought his laughter under control. He still chuckled a little as he wiped a tear from his eye, "You're a unique kid, you know that Sweets?"
<div align=center>Posted Image</div>

#30 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 31 July 2010 - 04:54 AM

" 'Course I am," Nessa agreed between swallows. "How many people do you think throw punches at obligators and tables at Inquisitors by way of saying hello?"

She sighed, leaned back against the door frame, and returned to staring at the baywrap in her hand. Or what was left of it, anyways.

"It's weird," she said in a softer tone. "A week ago, I would have killed someone to get as much food as I'm holding right now. I never had to before, but if I got desperate enough, I might have tried. But tonight, I totally forgot I was even holding this until I almost hit you with it. I didn't even think it was possible to forget about food.

"I'm... not even making any sense right now, am I?" she asked with am embarrassed look. "Sorry, I'll stop saying weird things."

#31 Perrin

Posted 31 July 2010 - 05:24 AM

"Don't apologize. You aren't the only one who's experienced major changes in their life when joining up with the rebellion. Actually, I think most of us here have," he leaned his head back against the wall, "You'll probably hit a point soon where you'll feel guilty for being here because of the comforts we have access to, like plenty of food, for example."

Perrin exhaled deeply and closed his eyes, forcing himself to stop thinking about all the skaa families that they could feed with the extra food they had lying around the shop. He and Maks had agreed that they could occasionally leave baskets of food at random hovels. It was the least they could do at this point. Doing more would risk exposing them, and that would defeat the entire purpose of their existence.

Posted Image

#32 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 31 July 2010 - 05:53 AM

"Yeah, I guess you're right," Nessa agreed softly. "It's just... everything is so different now. I'm not used to any of this and no one's telling me anything about what I'm supposed to do or what Allomancy can do or anything. I'm just kind of... here." She sighed, then shook her head. Why on earth was she saying this stuff out loud?

"But, I am happy about one thing," she continued. "If any skaa could have a place like this, that's safe and comfortable and has plenty of food... I'm glad it's people like you and Maks and everyone. Y'know, people who actually do something good with what they have. I'm not saying I decided to believe in the rebellion yet," she added, "but you pick up strays like me and give us something worth caring about. And that by itself is... really something."

#33 Perrin

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:37 PM

Perrin kept his eyes closed as he listened to Nessa talk. The fact that she could see that they were trying to make a difference was somewhat of a relief to him. He always feared that if other skaa could see what they had here that they would simply think them all selfish, which in a way, they definitely were. The desire to take down nobles and the Lord Ruler's government was an incredibly self-serving idea. Perrin certainly wouldn't have been involved in it if he wasn't going to be getting something out of this. That something being 'freedom'.

"Well I'm glad to hear that you like us, Sweets. It's good to know that someone who's new to this can see that we're trying hard to help everyone." He lifted his head and glanced down at Nessa, "And don't worry, after a little training, you'll be wishing we would all just leave you alone because we'll have you doing so much," he chuckled, "In the meantime, you could always ask us us about things that you don't understand. We won't bite you... well, Maks won't bite you. The rest of us are a little unstable sometimes, so there's always a chance..." he laughed.

Posted Image

#34 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:55 PM

"Thanks," Nessa replied rather sarcastically, though she was grinning from ear to ear. "The best thing I could possibly hear after what just happened is that someone might bite me. I don't think that's a very good idea, though," she mused. "I bite pretty hard." It had helped her escape quite a few sticky situations, actually.

"So... what about Allomancy?" she asked. "I know what my pewter does, and I know there are powers that can find other Allomancers, and one that can hide them from the people that can find them. But... what was that just now, with my feelings? And how on earth were you flying the other day?"

#35 Perrin

Posted 05 August 2010 - 03:59 AM

"Brass and zinc," Perrin said with a small smile, "They're the metals that Valkyn was using on you. Brass users are called Soothers. They have the ability to suppress some of your emotions, making others more pronounced to you. For example," he cleared his throat and did his best to look and sound matter-of-factly, "I could use brass to soothe away every emotion that you're feeling that is distracting you from feeling completely in awe of me. Or," he raised his eyebrows, "I could riot those same feelings of awe and admiration so that you aren't paying attention to anything else."

He chuckled, "But of course, if I did that, you'd immediately be able to tell because unlike Mistings who are extremely practiced in just one of those metals alone, my 'touch' on a person's emotions feels more like a punch to the gut. You can sort of tell really easily."

"And as for the so called 'flying' that I supposedly did," he shrugged, "I was only jumping, in a matter of speaking."

Posted Image

#36 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 05 August 2010 - 04:11 AM

Nessa frowned thoughtfully. So he was capable of forcing her to be in awe of him. That was the last thing she needed, was to be constantly in doubt of her own emotions. At least he had admitted she'd be able to notice, but she wasn't sure how much she believed him right now.

So was way she already felt around him really her own, or was he just pulling her along?

"That didn't look like jumping to me," she responded at last. "I saw you. You were flying. Even with pewter, I can't jump like that. And I didn't notice what the Inquisitor was doing to me til I realized what I was feeling didn't match what my head said I should be feeling. How do you know for sure I'll notice if you try it?"

#37 Perrin

Posted 05 August 2010 - 04:27 AM

He winked at her, "I'll fly for you again sometime then. Mostly I was just falling is all."

"But to tell you the truth, if you're the target of an experienced soother or rioter, you probably won't be able to tell unless you are paying very, very close attention." He leaned over and nudged her playfully with his shoulder, "But if you really don't believe me, I'll manipulate your emotions sometime in the near future when you aren't expecting it. You'll be able to tell," he laughed, "I can guarantee it. I always been more of a physical person. Reading others around me isn't exactly a strong point of mine."

Posted Image

#38 Nessa

• Rebellion Rookie

Atium Chandelier
  • Age17

Posted 05 August 2010 - 04:40 AM

"Do that," Nessa told him, nudging him right back, "and you better be ready to run, 'cause I won't like it.

"But... I guess I can understand that," she agreed. "Reading anything at all isn't exactly my strong point. Except my opponent, if I'm fighting someone. But that's about it." She paused, taking on a thoughtful expression as she considered something.

"What's it like?" she asked at last. "The flying, that is."

#39 Perrin

Posted 06 August 2010 - 02:07 PM

Perrin opened his mouth to respond to her question, but he stopped short, his mouth just hanging open for a moment. Finally he closed it as he tried to think of an answer. Jumping with iron and steel was unlike anything else he'd ever experienced, even just jumping with pewter couldn't come close. It was liberating, exhilarating, surreal, and a little bit terrifying all at the same time. And only mistborn would ever know how it felt.

"It feels...." he tried to force a word out, but still everything that he could think of fell short. Finally he sighed and glanced at Nessa, "Maybe I could show you sometime. What I was doing, wasn't really flying; launching myself into the air and then falling with a little grace and control is more like what it actually is."

"I was using steel and iron. These two allow you to either push or pull on a piece of metal without touching it." He paused, realizing that to someone who was new to allomancy, that wouldn't make much sense. So instead, Perrin reached down to his coin pouch and removed a clip holding it up so Nessa could see it, "Steel is used to push on metal. Mistings who burn it are called coinshots, and for people like you, they're extremely dangerous."

He held the coin out in front of him, doing his best to aim so that the coin wouldn't do any damage. Perrin burned steel and immediately the familiar blue lines sprung out of his chest, with a solid one connecting directly to the coin in his hand. He focused on that particular one and pushed. The coin snapped out of his hand and flew across the room, slapping against the wall opposite them. Perrin held enough pressure on the push to keep the coin pinned to the wall and looked down at Nessa to see her reaction.

Posted Image

#40 Ignas

• Architect of the Rebellion, the Shade

High House Noble
  • Age46

• Relationship StatusSingle

• OriginWestern Dominance

Posted 06 August 2010 - 02:08 PM

"Another Mistborn, by the Lord Ruler!" Lan said with a shock. Maks stood there, as always.

"I am quite pleased by this development," Ignas said. "Ideally, Valkyn will continue to provide such excellent finds in his tenure here." He shot a dark look at Maks, obviously indicating At least until we are forced to kill him.

"Come out, Cantos!" Ignas smiled as the man came out. He looked more healthy now than he was inside the interrogation chamber. Or at least as presentable as he could be.

"In the interest of full disclosure, he is--was--noble. Obviously, since he holds Allomancy in his veins. But, he holds great contempt for the Final Empire now. He shall be a great asset, I believe."

Ignas smiled. "Now, Cantos, this here is Lan, the proprietor of this abode, and this is Maks, one of my most trusted advisors. They are both Smokers--that is, people who burn copper. We have more of them, and they arranged in such a way that we will never be detected. You don't have to worry about using your abilities here.

"Other principal players are Perrin, our other Mistborn, who can give you additional lessons. We may have time for one before the Ball tomorrow, but perhaps not. If we don't, then we will not place you in a position of great danger. Don't worry.

"I should also warn you of a girl named Nessa. She's probably with Perrin now. Quite skittish, but she may punch you anyways. She burns pewter. Watch out for her, because she hates surprises.

"There are more, as I think we have a new Seeker, and Maks was telling me of a new Tineye. In any case, if you are uncertain of someone's identity, ask Lan. He is aware of all our members here. Also, Maks would tell me to not have you go down to the floor of the shop during the day. We receive many visitors from the nobility, and we cannot alert them of our presence.

"And no, that means you can't assassinate them while they are here, as much as you may want to. Anything I may have missed, Cantos or Maks?"

Posted Image

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users